Criticisms of Coronavirus narrative and policy

Amwolf

Pigeon
The ridiculousness of people wearing masks in the wilderness…For the second weekend in a row, I was fastpacking in a remote wilderness area and crossed paths with people who’d quickly pull up a bandana to cover their mouth and nose right before we passed each other. Last weekend it was an incredibly woke, young SJW-type couple (I overheard their conversation about pro feminism as they passed me and the "woman" had unnatural hair color and piercings in addition to visible tattoos) and more recently, it was a fit, younger guy (possibly former military) who engaged in the same behavior as I approached on a trail deep in the mountains. Is this absurd or what?

I live in a state where masks are mandatory, yet I haven’t worn one yet. While I can understand some people wanting to wear a mask inside of a public space, doing so in the wilderness (just like those who do inside of their vehicles) comes off as something that you’d expect to see during an episode of The Twilight Zone.

Has anyone else encountered such people while in the outdoors, specifically more remote wilderness areas?

LeoniusD

Woodpecker

Comedian goes through the recent CDC mortality stats. And as he points out - even the remaining 9200 deaths that did not have 2.6 comorbidities, those 9200 were of a very advanced age close to normal life expectancy, so of course the government will tell you that you are always at risk at getting decades older any day now.

The real risk is infinitely small for virtually anyone. And no - generally you don't speak about comorbidities if you are a bit overweight or have high blood pressure. Though - not all bad - flu deaths are way down this year and heart attacks are down by 70% in some regions, so people stopped dying from heart attacks. It's always good to count your blessings.

SpyofMoses

Pigeon
Has anyone else encountered such people while in the outdoors, specifically more remote wilderness areas?
Yep. I notice the same thing on my hikes recently. There are those who don't bother, but we are a minority out there. Definitely Twilight Zone-esque.

Meanwhile, my parents got it recently. I thought, "this is it, I'm about to eat my words..." One has a heart condition, the other is immuno-compromised. Both over 55. Sure enough, they said they had flu-like symptoms for a couple weeks. It was the worst flu they ever had, they said. They took a prescription of bed rest and water. Also essential oils, which we jokingly referred to as a "brujeria." They never developed SARS.

Oddly enough, only one of them tested positive for COVID-19, despite them being sick with the same symptoms at just about the same time... :hmm:

We just got a new thing attached to the wall at my work, it has a snout that somehow tests your temperature.

I read the note that was posted next to it, funny it wasn't instructions on how to use the new gadget. It was a threat that if you refuse to wear your mask you can be removed from the building.

We are managed by women so that is how they threaten us, by posting signs in hallway.

kel

Pelican
My gym recently installed a thermo-camera as you walk in. I'm glad the gym is open, so I should count my blessings, but walking into the gym and seeing yourself in sniper-vision is pretty dystopian.

Max Roscoe

Kingfisher
Only it's not just an app. Google and Apple are building in spyware, ahem, covid tracing, into their next versions of Android and IOS. The IOS update is already out I think.

Roosh

Cardinal
Am I going crazy here or have they redefined the word morbid?
I have always known the word morbid to mean deadly.
If someone behaves morbidly, then, they are obsessed with death, dying, thoughts of their mortality, etc.
Morbidly obese means so fat you are likely to die from your huge weight.

Now searching in (((online dictionaries))) the word morbid means sickly or diseased.

But the entymology of the root word clearly means death. Morir in Spanish means to die. Mourir in French. Morris in Italian. More in Portuguese. Morior is Latin for to die.

One of my fears is that words will be redefined and we won't even realize it because there's only one online service (Meriam Webster), just as there is only one source many go to for history: Wikipedia. I'm going to check the huge old Oxford English Dictionary at my parents house that is about 5 times the size of my college dictionary.

I began searching because of this buzzword "comorbidities" that they are throwing around re: coronavirus. To me a "morbidity" means something you will die from, like cancer. A comorbidity is 2 or more of these. So if you have a morbidity, it is going to kill you. Whether or not you have a 2nd or 3rd or 4th morbidity. Is this right?
I think you're confusing mortal with morbid. Morbidity is a chronic health condition that causes shortening of life. For example, if a patient comes in with many "morbidities", he has other health issues.

I've seen them, too. Frantically pulling it up over their faces as I pass by them. I've even seen fellow mountain bikers pull off trail to put it on, or they're actively wearing it while riding. I'll step off trail if I'm on foot and face away from older folks only as they pass out of courtesy, but I won't wear the mask in the wilderness. It's ridiculous. We're in the woods breathing the highest quality air available and if anyone was infected with a respiratory illness they wouldn't make it half a mile on the trails I hit anyway.

I usually just see it on fat people outside, but have seen some people wearing it in the middle of nowhere too, like some invisible camera is broadcasting their virtue sniveling to the rest of the world and assume people will be like "there is a model citizen who does exactly what they're told when nobody is watching!" when instead they just look ridiculous. NPC confirmed is the first thing that goes off in my mind.

Johnny Rico

Woodpecker
Where is that?.... Just so I never ever go there
To be fair it was a surfing class not the regulars. Mostly teenagers and their super cool moms. They muzzled up for the beach drills and when they got in the water they struggled for a bit to breathe then ended up putting the muzzles around their necks.

We were laughing at them while we drank beers on the beach and at how when their muzzles were washed away their moms had backups ready to go upon coming ashore. The moms were putting them on the kids as soon as they walked on to the beach and the kids were compliant.

Papaya

Crow
Gold Member
To be fair it was a surfing class not the regulars. Mostly teenagers and their super cool moms. They muzzled up for the beach drills and when they got in the water they struggled for a bit to breathe then ended up putting the muzzles around their necks.

We were laughing at them while we drank beers on the beach and at how when their muzzles were washed away their moms had backups ready to go upon coming ashore. The moms were putting them on the kids as soon as they walked on to the beach and the kids were compliant.
All this just makes me want to go there even less. "Mostly teenagers and their super cool moms"?

Please make it stop

andy dufresne

Woodpecker
I've seen them, too. Frantically pulling it up over their faces as I pass by them. I've even seen fellow mountain bikers pull off trail to put it on, or they're actively wearing it while riding. I'll step off trail if I'm on foot and face away from older folks only as they pass out of courtesy, but I won't wear the mask in the wilderness. It's ridiculous. We're in the woods breathing the highest quality air available and if anyone was infected with a respiratory illness they wouldn't make it half a mile on the trails I hit anyway.
Passed a family recently that felt a dire need to muzzle up as we, the infected non-masked hoard, passed them by.

My protocol is to simply smile and treat them as if they don't exist. If they attempt communication I don't respond.