Crypto lounge thread

godfather dust

Ostrich
Gold Member
If btc was better regulated I would short the hell out of it.
It's not though.

Shorts were reported to hit an all time high yesterday... so you get a ridiculous pump today.

redbeard said:
SamuelBRoberts said:
SamuelBRoberts said:
Yes, though temporarily bullish as shorts keep reaching a high.

We're setting ourselves up for a beautiful short squeeze.
Said this and then let myself get talked into a short.
No more bitmex trading for me for at least a few months.
No please, keep posting about how bearish you are :banana:
I'm still overall bearish. This was the first step towards a turnaround, but like I said yesterday this pump was due to a crazy short squeeze. If it sustains, then we've got a nice spring market coming and everybody here, including myself, will make a lot of money.

And I need to listen to myself and not other people, no matter how many digits are in their bank account or how much longer they've been doing this than me.

If anybody's curious, here's what I'm looking at.

[img=800x800]https://www.tradingview.com/x/R6exkqFM/[/img]

Major questions I'm asking now are: Can we break the 4hr cloud? (Four hour close above the cloud would make me happy.)
Can we break the 50 day average? (The thick green line)
Can we break the 200 day average? (The thick blue line)
Can we get a golden cross? (Green over blue) If we can get a golden cross soon we're gonna have an absolutely awesome spring.

There's cause for optimism but I'm not putting large amounts of money in yet. I don't need to catch the absolute bottom to make money.

SBR: don't you think it is extremely risky to short with crypto market down 70% from the ATH? We already know that eventually this is going to be a 20T market, the question is just when it is going to happen. I am wondering why taking such risks of getting rekt by going short?
For the dollar cost average strategy, the accumulation phase during the dip may be over for me: now it is only time to HODL.

Giacomo Casanova said:
SBR: don't you think it is extremely risky to short with crypto market down 70% from the ATH? We already know that eventually this is going to be a 20T market, the question is just when it is going to happen. I am wondering why taking such risks of getting rekt by going short?
For the dollar cost average strategy, the accumulation phase during the dip may be over for me: now it is only time to HODL.
No, it's been the winning move for a while now. Even with today's loss, I think I'm up 200-300% from where I started on Bitmex.

redbeard

Hummingbird
I agree with SBR's analysis.

However I don't have the stomach for Bitmex.

I will be selling some BTC to buy once it dips again.

He posted his "The coins are about to be sold on Kucoin" post before the coins were moved.

Hahahahaha.

Enjoy your federal jail cell, dumbass.
I'm pissed at the amount of taxes I have to pay but I'm damn glad I did it instead of trying to get clever.

redonion

Woodpecker
Hey, has anybody used gate.io as an exchange before?

I am dealing with an issue with them which I would consider a bug, but their support claims is correct behavior. I have never seen this behavior at any other exchange and want to know if I'm just naive or not. Has anyone else dealt with this issue, and do you know of a fix?

For every other exchange I've worked with, you can simulate a market order using a limit order by setting the price outside the normal range. For example, in the ETH-BTC market, if the low ask is 0.07 BTC, and I want to buy 100 ETH at market price, I can place a limit order to buy 100 ETH at a price > 0.07, such as 0.1 BTC. The exchange will fill my 100 ETH order with the best price available, as long as it's less than 0.1 BTC.

On gate.io, you'll experience the same behavior when using the above technique with sells, but not with buys.

In the above example, gate.io's logic plays out like this:
1. They determine how much total BTC my order was worth. In this case, 100 ETH * 0.1 BTC = 10 BTC
2. They keep buying ETH until:
  • I have spent 10 BTC in total to buy ETH, or
  • The low ask exceeds my given price of 0.1 BTC

When you apply the above logic, what ends up happening is that the exchange will end up purchasing well over 100 ETH for me (because 10 BTC is worth more than 100 ETH). This is despite the fact that I requested 100 ETH in the "amount" field.

All I am trying to do is purchase exactly 100 ETH, but gate.io simply purchases too much for me. I've also tried just setting my price to the current low ask, but due to lag times, the low ask can change while I'm placing my order, and after applying their logic, I also end up purchasing an amount that is different from what I specified.

Anyway, is this logic normal? It seems completely retarded to me. Anyone know of any strategies to buy exactly 100 ETH on an exchange that operates like this?

Anecdotal data:

I've seen 3 of my friends make remarks about blockchain on LinkedIN, specifically mentioning some article that talks about the company they work for.

One guy works for a major healthcare company, and his CEO talked about how blockchain is the next big thing.

Another guy is a partner at a major consulting firm and shared an article about blockchain.

This could be a preliminary indicator of the next hype bubble. People are feeling more positive than they were a month ago when everything was bleeding.

ksbms

Pelican
Neither BTC nor ETH are the "next big thing" due to blockchain's limitations. If anything, its IOTA technology based on Directed Acyclic Graph. They've just partnered up with VW and Fujitsu, among others. It's beyond me why IOTA is still so under appreciated. The below talk illustrates precisely why, long term, a bet should be made on that technology.

I imagine that this night spike is the definitive sign that means the end of the multi months bear market. Smart money were accumulating on the big dip and are up almost 100% from bottom on numerous alts. Guess it is now time to HODL.

ksbms said:
Neither BTC nor ETH are the "next big thing" due to blockchain's limitations. If anything, its IOTA technology based on Directed Acyclic Graph. They've just partnered up with VW and Fujitsu, among others. It's beyond me why IOTA is still so under appreciated. The below talk illustrates precisely why, long term, a bet should be made on that technology.

Because it's trash.

I was also quite positive about IOTA but I had to change my mind since they kept missing deadlines and still there is not a decent wallet despite the announcements. It is intollerable. Also the bad attitude of developers didn't help. I mean, it is a great project and idea but it is difficult to trust the people running such idea. Additionally, it looks like we have the usual problem that the price fluctuation of the taken could influence and block the adoption. I don't think big business are going to buy IOTA tokens for everyday operations business, they don't want to take a risk of price fluctuation in the order of 100% in 15 days (more or less the increase of IOTA price in the last few days). On a lesser extent this is also a bit a problem of Ethereum dapps. The model with a double taken (one working as a "share" and the other one with a fixed price to be used for "blockchain/operations") seems to be the best for real adoption.
Just as a reminder, there are plenty of crypto companies using IOT + Blockchain which seems to be the best integration for business purposes.

gework

Pelican
Gold Member
Does anyone know any web/desktop (Linux) coin trackers that allow you to set alarms for percentage changes in a coin that they import from exchange accounts and wallets?

I use BitUniverse for mobile that does this. But I prefer to keep it switched off in the day to not get distracted.

Recently I bought into Decentraland, Kyber, Gifto and Golem and they all had big pumps that I would have sold out on, but I only caught one of them near it's peak, Kyber, which I cashed in today.

yaku

Sparrow
Giacomo Casanova said:
I was also quite positive about IOTA but I had to change my mind since they kept missing deadlines and still there is not a decent wallet despite the announcements. It is intollerable. Also the bad attitude of developers didn't help. I mean, it is a great project and idea but it is difficult to trust the people running such idea.
Agree. The lack of wallet blows my mind.