Crypto lounge thread

road_runner

Banned
Other Christian
Gold is only a safe asset IF no one knows you have it. If you buy any serious amount whoever you buy it off gets all of your details. If they have your details come tyranny time they knock on your dorr and ask for it. If you don't cough up quickly it's long, slow torture time (see Russian archeapelgo for gory details)

So yes, gold good but make sure it's untraceable, and make sure that the guy you buy the land off at that fantastic knock-down apocalypse price doesn't go blabbing either. Easier said than done
Yes, that's why I don't like the idea of buying it online, as there'll be a database with all the shipping addresses somewhere and who knows who will have access to it and whom it'll be sold to, may be to criminals on darknet as well.

BasedBaker

Robin
Trad Catholic
Which crypto would I buy? Cosmos Atom. It's part of an ecosystem of eye bulgingly good projects. A winner

In fact: ROOSH!!! get a keplr wallet please and I'll send you some Atom to get started
I have a meager amount of ATOM I bought two years ago. Nothing that will ever change my life. What other project on that ecosystem do you like?

Jake007

Sparrow
The good thing about Cosmos is that ATOM stakers are constantly rewarded with airdrops. Big potential in staking ATOM and also staking OSMO, JUNO, etc. Most of the new projects in the Cosmos ecosystem launch their tokens by airdropping to existing users of the ecosystem

BasedBaker

Robin
Trad Catholic
The good thing about Cosmos is that ATOM stakers are constantly rewarded with airdrops. Big potential in staking ATOM and also staking OSMO, JUNO, etc. Most of the new projects in the Cosmos ecosystem launch their tokens by airdropping to existing users of the ecosystem
So I have been staking ATOM(again, small amount) on Atomic Wallet. Where do I get these airdrops?

Adrian

Banned
Orthodox Catechumen
I have a meager amount of ATOM I bought two years ago. Nothing that will ever change my life. What other project on that ecosystem do you like?
take your pick. I'd say Osmosis of course, really good user friendly interface DEX and native token, Juno, Secret all great projects that will continue to grow. Amazing for staking and farming, you get huge returns. Exciting stuff

And ... you can only buy these projects with Atom, hence it's inherent value: people buy Atom even if they don't want it, cos they need it to buy the others. Ethereum-ike in that sense, but without the gas prices

Jake007

Sparrow
So I have been staking ATOM(again, small amount) on Atomic Wallet. Where do I get these airdrops?
In most cases you have to claim them. Some airdrops will automatically be transferred to you but you have to add the network to your wallet in order to see them. Not all wallets are able to connect to these new chains - I think the best wallet for the Cosmos ecosystem is Keplr because you can easily add any Cosmos based chain

Osmosis and Juno were some great airdrops with solid value. It's too late to claim Osmosis, but I remember correctly, Juno was an automatic one. The other airdrops have not been as good, but who knows when the next great one comes

Apologies for linking to reddit but this is a great overview of the Cosmos airdrops:

Try to see if you qualified for some of them!

BasedBaker

Robin
Trad Catholic
In most cases you have to claim them. Some airdrops will automatically be transferred to you but you have to add the network to your wallet in order to see them. Not all wallets are able to connect to these new chains - I think the best wallet for the Cosmos ecosystem is Keplr because you can easily add any Cosmos based chain

Osmosis and Juno were some great airdrops with solid value. It's too late to claim Osmosis, but I remember correctly, Juno was an automatic one. The other airdrops have not been as good, but who knows when the next great one comes

Apologies for linking to reddit but this is a great overview of the Cosmos airdrops:

Thank you I certainly appreciate it.

Cynllo

Woodpecker
Other Christian

Well, I'll be damned. I didn't vote for him, but credit where credit is due. The US will regulate crypto in a positive way and spur institutional adoption.

I don't usually say this, but...

To. The. Moon.

Hunter crypto payday.

___

Bought some of these crypto seed plates, that are meant to secure your hardware wallet seed in case of a house fire, flood or other disaster. Limited on options and bought some plates you have to chisel the letters onto. Definitely avoid these. It takes about one hours to chisel out a 24 word seed and the indentations are not that great. Also, one mistake and the plate is useless. I would go for one that gives you letters you can cut out like a scrabble board.

Something like this:

hardware-wallet-seed-phrase-recovery-metallplatte-aus-edelstahl-v4a-inkl-gravurstift~2.webp

One of these will be better:

3_ee511c70-64d2-457d-b25d-e2b0c7a78308_grande.png

$45 - https://shop.safepal.io/products/strong-safepal-cypher-strong

N.B. it seems all such products with the cutout letters only allow four letters per seed word. This is because seeds usually/always come from a set list. If I restore my seed it only lets me type in certain words.

With that in mind, I think it's best to just have your seed or keys printed onto a titanium plate. Titanium has a higher melting point.

Some others - https://cryptolisty.com/hardware-wa...tes-for-recovery-seed-key-and-wallet-backups/

Last edited:

OrthoMexicano

Banned
Orthodox Inquirer

I have some of ATOM. I do not understand how air drop work. It does accumulate some interest.

OrthoMexicano

Banned
Orthodox Inquirer
But much harder to execute transactions with. While I certainly think it's prudent to hold gold, crypto can evolve to the restrictions that are placed upon it. Gold doesn't have the flexibility. Gold will always have its fine seat at the royal table, but I don't think it will be sitting at the head forever.

Yes I believe hold all but crypto despite what everyone say is more easily tracked, except maybe Monero. Also gold can be exchange at local shop for cash easily.

OrthoMexicano

Banned
Orthodox Inquirer
Yes, that's why I don't like the idea of buying it online, as there'll be a database with all the shipping addresses somewhere and who knows who will have access to it and whom it'll be sold to, may be to criminals on darknet as well.

This is a concern, but with crypto for certain wallets it is easy to track too. Plus in certain country you must report or the taxman come after you. (Gold too)

road_runner

Banned
Other Christian
I heard there're P2P services with cash options.
Are there any that actually work in the US? I know Binance has cash option for P2P, but not sure if Binance US does, I don't have an account with them.

joost

Kingfisher
Can someone explain me, if government hits with sanctions like Canada truckers or against Russia (I'm sure soon it'll be a frequent situation in the US too, of being punished for any disagreement with the government) - is there a way to move funds from the banking system into crypto for relocation out of the country? And then take them back out of crypto, may be not all of them at once, but including significant sums such as to buy a house, car. Most countries 'banks now will create a big problem or will refuse transaction if it's coming out of crypto system, unfortunately - at least the countries that are on my radar where I can afford to relocate and know the language.

They don't like funds coming out of crypto, viewing them as unclean and creating problems with tax and KYC authorities.
So is there any way to deal with these problems?
I was thinking that one can use El Salvadorean bank, but it seems like USD is still their 2nd currency, they don't have own one other than BTC, so their banks are going to be fully subject to all the US oppression as US owns USD - and the US can shut them down any time by banning their dollar processing.
This means their banks must be doing all the compliance related to USD.
(I'm talking about life savings here if SHTF happens, not some small amounts of money to buy a coffee)

You can use Bisq. P2P trading. No KYC.

road_runner

Banned
Other Christian
You can use Bisq. P2P trading. No KYC.
I see - thank you. I'm trying to learn about their escrow process, so far seems like they offer secure escrow.
Looks like they might even offer cash option for p2p but the note says that "some banks might not accept cash deposits from non-customers", so looks like it's cash-to-bank option.
They have a lot of payment options (though all of them would cut a person off quickly if the government had ordered so).

My understanding is that overseas in some countries there're companies where one can come to the office and exchange cash-crypto in safe environment without kyc (versus cash deposit to the bank, where it might be refused, and that if the person haven't been completely un-banked yet)

joost

Kingfisher
^^

You can do face 2 face but I don't like it. Risk of counterfeit bills, being robbed, being followed home, getting your car license plate (and thus more information about you)...

You can use Wise to create bank accounts in different currencies (I use it for EUR transfers). For here in US i use Zelle* (never had problems).

I don't use Bisq for big transactions (above $10k). I sell some Bitcoin when I need some extra money to pay bills.

* When I used LocalBitcoins, people used to take the offer and you would wait hours for the person to reply. Probably waiting for a price swing in his favor. Often having the transaction cancelled (locking your BTC for hours). Could also be law enforcement just collecting your bank information to send to the IRS. With Bisq, there's a secure deposit both parties have. If one party don't follow the rules, he loses the deposit (usually 25% of the transaction but you can set it yourself if you're the maker).

road_runner

Banned
Other Christian
^^

You can do face 2 face but I don't like it. Risk of counterfeit bills, being robbed, being followed home, getting your car license plate (and thus more information about you)...

You can use Wise to create bank accounts in different currencies (I use it for EUR transfers). For here in US i use Zelle* (never had problems).

I don't use Bisq for big transactions (above $10k). I sell some Bitcoin when I need some extra money to pay bills.

* When I used LocalBitcoins, people used to take the offer and you would wait hours for the person to reply. Probably waiting for a price swing in his favor. Often having the transaction cancelled (locking your BTC for hours). Could also be law enforcement just collecting your bank information to send to the IRS. With Bisq, there's a secure deposit both parties have. If one party don't follow the rules, he loses the deposit (usually 25% of the transaction but you can set it yourself if you're the maker)
Those face-to-face p2p things are for the last resort, when one got unbanked or hit with capital controls.

Wise - I guess you meant accounts inside Wise payment system. Sometimes payment systems restrict what US persons can have.
Is this what you meant, Wise multi-currency account?
(anyway, one gets ordered unbanked by the US, Wise will un-bank them too, Wise just unbanked entire Russia)

And regarding Bisq deposit - you said that bad party loses 25% of deposit - but does Bisq guarantee that you get will get full amount for your crypto and someone just doesn't take off with it, ditching their 25% deposit?

joost

Kingfisher
Yes, that Wise. I use it to receive EUR transfers from Europe. A friend of mine uses to send money to Latin America.

Let me explain about the 25% security deposit:
Let's say you're selling $100 worth of BTC. You deposit the equivalent BTC amount +25% (equivalent in BTC).
Let's say the person will use Zelle. The taker needs the 25% BTC in escrow to be able to take your offer. Then 2 days to complete the transaction. If it doesn't send you the money in 2 days, your $125 worth of BTC that was in escrow goes back to your wallet and you get the extra $25 worth of BTC from the party who didn't completed the transaction, totalling $150.

Depending on the reason for not completing the transaction, you might get only half of the security deposit. It's a good deterrent for scammers and time wasters.

A good method of transaction is using money orders. You can go to a 7eleven (MoneyGram/Western Union) and buy without showing id and sending through mail to the maker party). If you're the maker, get a P.O box. They have less liquidity than Zelle here in the US.

Last edited:

road_runner

Banned
Other Christian
Let me explain about the 25% security deposit:
Let's say you're selling $100 worth of BTC. You deposit the equivalent BTC amount +25% (equivalent in BTC).
Let's say the person will use Zelle. The taker needs the 25% BTC in escrow to be able to take your offer. Then 2 days to complete the transaction. If it doesn't send you the money in 2 days, your $125 worth of BTC that was in escrow goes back to your wallet and you get the extra $25 worth of BTC from the party who didn't completed the transaction, totalling $150.

Depending on the reason for not completing the transaction, you might get only half of the security deposit. It's a good deterrent for scammers and time wasters.

A good method of transaction is using money orders. You can go to a 7eleven (MoneyGram/Western Union) and buy without showing id and sending through mail to the maker party). If you're the maker, get a P.O box. They have less liquidity than Zelle here in the US.
I see, thanks.
For small amounts yes, can buy money orders. The only thing it's pricey to send mail in secure way that doesn't get delayed or stolen (like UPS, Fedex) - I had both kinds of problems with USPS, including them stealing my money order and delaying another one by weeks.