Data Tracking for Health and Fitness

Cartographer

Pelican
Gold Member
If you have a good method for tracking macros and micros, fitness performance, general health whether physical or mental or even spiritual, post it here!

I have tried to track my time, fitness and nutrition over the years but with little success. There are a lot of people using fitbits and other services...has anyone gotten good results with a system you use?

I was considering getting a Polar heart-rate monitor and I've thought about fitbits before but never tried to use one. I just happened across a Mike Cernovich podcast recently and ordered a Whoop strap which I'm loving so far. This podcast goes over something called zone 2 training and mitochondrial health, I'm still reading up on that but I really like getting deep into the weeds on stuff that challenges generic advice. I'm less and less surprised to find how I've been doing the wrong thing for years and getting huge gains from small adjustments.

I'm a huge fan of the whoop so far, it tracks something called heart rate variability and provides analytics for sleep and recovery. The podcast is pretty informative too.

get2choppaaa

Ostrich
For mental and spiritual well being:
One thing that worked for me aside from the obvious like daily prayers and praying many times through out the day and regular church participation was a Thankfulness journal.

Write in it at night with 3 things I am thankful for and also 3 things I am going to do tomorrow. I did this off and on during really trying times and it helped a lot.

For physical:
A meat and nuts breakfast really helps because it provides nutrients like acetal choline. Energizes your day and primes your body for the nutrients and hormones you're going to express and receive during the subsequent hours.

I would not be advocating the use of any electronic product that stores your biometric data or had your DNA.

I would get a journal and log the following:

I would track nightly and waking BP via a BP cuff, weigh yourself every morning,
log number of sleep hours, if you need a CPAP get one, and calculate your macros via looking up online macro calculators.

Log it all for a couple weeks, notice Trends and you'll start seeing direct correlation.

If you have a crappy work out look at sleep first, then diet and heart rate and food.

Do this over a period of time with discipline and your little notebook is your life diary that also contains your journals, successes and gratitudes.

Thats my suggestion. Good luck.

Cartographer

Pelican
Gold Member
I would not be advocating the use of any electronic product that stores your biometric data or had your DNA.
Yeah, from an infosec pov, these devices are an intrusion. I also have to pair it with my smartphone so you'd have to use one of those and I have no doubt they're capable of a lot of evil. For those concerned about that, your alternatives are very helpful. Also, I'm not affiliated with any of this stuff I mentioned, and am consciously trading some security for convenience.

Hannibal

Ostrich
Gold Member
I just use myfitnesspal to count calories amd a workout journal pen and paper to track workouts.
If i get bored one of these days i might type it into excel to see how far i have gotten.