Dating in a pandemic

TexasJenn

Woodpecker
Woman
Orthodox Inquirer
People with military backgrounds usually have a hard time adjusting to civilian life, mainly because in the army, someone took care of them with about anything. They fed them, dress them, gave them everything needed for their service.
And that approach often created in their head mindset "big dependent kid". You just obey us.

And only a few things are worse for a woman than to be married to a childish man, without the ability to take responsibility for himself, her, and their children.
That experience is different than mine. The handful of good ex-military men I know, like the second dad I mentioned before, are some of the most self-reliant, self-directed men I know. My second dad is like a dad to his whole town, that strong, reliable, rock-like good guy we all need to look up to.

stugatz

Pelican
Catholic
Well, I relate to you there. However, for myself, I learned that forgiveness was the key to greater peace with the matter. Carrying resentment, anger, or other bad feelings for another person is like holding onto a hot coal - it only continues to hurt you.

I was in church, and our minister reminded us to forgive ourselves and others for any transgressions. It hit me that while I'd come a long way in making peace with my dad, I was still holding onto a small sliver of resentment for his shortcomings and how they'd impacted me. At that moment, I chose to forgive him 100%. It sounds like a subtle difference, but it really helped me get along with him better and appreciate him for what he is.
I live with him. (To save money as I get a decent job again post COVID, & because my mother is in declining health and I want to be closer to her.) It's been a struggle, but having to see him every day has improved our relationship and I almost think God planned it in advance.

fortyfive

Woodpecker
Other Christian
My second dad is like a dad to his whole town, that strong, reliable, rock-like good guy we all need to look up to.
Be glad, you have such people around you. As a society, you were always a more individualistic country than Europe, and maybe that is a reason.
Sadly your transition to Europeanism is in full progress.

Vigilant

Kingfisher
Woman
Protestant
Well, I relate to you there. However, for myself, I learned that forgiveness was the key to greater peace with the matter. Carrying resentment, anger, or other bad feelings for another person is like holding onto a hot coal - it only continues to hurt you.

I was in church, and our minister reminded us to forgive ourselves and others for any transgressions. It hit me that while I'd come a long way in making peace with my dad, I was still holding onto a small sliver of resentment for his shortcomings and how they'd impacted me. At that moment, I chose to forgive him 100%. It sounds like a subtle difference, but it really helped me get along with him better and appreciate him for what he is.
Scripture teaches conditional love and conditional forgiveness.

Vigilant

Kingfisher
Woman
Protestant
I live with him. (To save money as I get a decent job again post COVID, & because my mother is in declining health and I want to be closer to her.) It's been a struggle, but having to see him every day has improved our relationship and I almost think God planned it in advance.
God commands us to honour our parents.

Vigilant

Kingfisher
Woman
Protestant
There are no accidents, only incidents.

Vigilant

Kingfisher
Woman
Protestant

Ah_Tibor

Kingfisher
Woman
Orthodox

I lived with my mom for most of my 20s because she didn't want to be alone (divorced parents) and I didn't, either. I could have probably gotten a better job back then but I think it improved our general relationship.

Most people I know live at home until they're 30 anyway lol. I have a male cousin still at home in his 40s and he's had the same girlfriend since forever, too. Not sure why one wouldn't just get married at that point and live close to parents (which is what his sister did, she lives a few blocks from my aunt)

Vigilant

Kingfisher
Woman
Protestant

A Christian is commanded to always be ready to forgive, but not to cheapen it by giving it away for free.
Sin is a violation against God first
then against our neighbour.
It is debt which requires repentance, meaning the will to turn from it.
And only when the offender repents can he/she request forgiveness.
This then restores the peace between the offender and the one offended/violated.

If it is a major violation then peace may be restored but not necessarily trust or relationship.

messaggera

Kingfisher
Woman
Catholic
Are you concerned about the latent spiked protein shedding issue?

2009 Study link

Viral loads and duration of viral shedding in adult patients hospitalized with influenza

Conclusion: Patients hospitalized with severe influenza have more active and prolonged viral replication. Weakened host defenses slow viral clearance, whereas antivirals started within the first 4 days of illness enhance viral clearance.

COVID vaccine
Reuter article link

In one Wisconsin county, after Delta became predominant, researchers analyzed viral loads on nose-and-throat swab samples obtained when patients were first diagnosed. They found similar viral loads in vaccinated and unvaccinated patients, with levels often high enough to allow shedding of infectious virus. "A key assumption" underlying current regulations aimed at slowing COVID-19 transmission "is that those who are vaccinated are at very low risk of spreading the virus to others," said study coauthor Katarina Grande of Public Health Madison & Dane County in Madison, Wisconsin.

Spike protein shedding
Article link

Third, as these experimental vaccines produce many trillions of spike proteins in their recipients, these vaccinated individuals “can shed some of these (spike protein) particles to close contacts,” causing disease in them.

In an email correspondence with LifeSiteNews, Dr. Simone Gold, the founder of AFLDS, directed this writer to an April 29 tweet where she posted a document from Pfizer’s experimental trials in which the pharmaceutical giant “acknowledges this mechanism” of potential shedding, she wrote.

As the document states, one can be “exposed to [the] study intervention due to environmental exposure,” including “by inhalation or skin contact” with someone involved in the study, or with another who has been exposed in the same way.

And this, according to AFLDS, can be dangerous. As the issues brief continues, “the spike proteins are pathogenic (‘disease causing’) just like the full virus.” Furthermore, these “spike proteins bind more tightly than the fully intact virus” and thus cases around the world of “pericarditis, shingles, pneumonia, blood clots in the extremities and brain, Bell’s Palsy, vaginal bleeding and miscarriages have been reported in persons who are near persons who have been vaccinated.” Such shedding also “appears to be causing wide variety of autoimmune disease (where the body attacks its own tissue) in some persons.

TexasJenn

Woodpecker
Woman
Orthodox Inquirer
Happy update: I was approached by a good-hearted, unvaccinated, Orthodox Christian man online and we've been talking every day. He lives in another state, but we agreed that wouldn't stop us, and we've just begun discussing a visit. We seem to have just about everything in common, layer after layer of similar and compatible qualities.

His very serious approach makes most of the dating site conversations look like a joke.

It seems that God is answering my most heartfelt prayer :blush:

I've been thinking about finding a good church, but have been struggling with motivation. Now I'm planning to attend an Orthodox liturgy for the first time on Sunday.

Just wanted to share a very happy update. I'll update more as things unfold...

Ah_Tibor

Kingfisher
Woman
Orthodox
Happy update: I was approached by a good-hearted, unvaccinated, Orthodox Christian man online and we've been talking every day. He lives in another state, but we agreed that wouldn't stop us, and we've just begun discussing a visit. We seem to have just about everything in common, layer after layer of similar and compatible qualities.

His very serious approach makes most of the dating site conversations look like a joke.

Congrats!! (Maybe premature, lol)

My husband and I were two hours apart when we started dating. It's a pain in the butt, but early days of dating don't require you to be living next to each other.

Ah_Tibor

Kingfisher
Woman
Orthodox
How long was the courtship and marriage process? Did you guys get married in the Orthodox Church? What was that like?

We dated for three years before getting engaged and had a year engagement. I think if we lived closer some of this time could have been shaved off. Also, despite what people tell you, it does not take a year to plan a wedding (invitations and the guest list are the most annoying and time-consuming part).

We also sort of knew each other before we started dating (our older siblings were friends). Some of our dates involved meeting up at a diner. His family was also a halfway point so we spent time there, too.

I don't know what it's "like," not sure what to compare it to, lol. I think both of our families being Orthodox made things pretty easy.

soli.deo.gloria

Woodpecker
Orthodox Inquirer
Gold Member
We dated for three years before getting engaged and had a year engagement. I think if we lived closer some of this time could have been shaved off. Also, despite what people tell you, it does not take a year to plan a wedding (invitations and the guest list are the most annoying and time-consuming part).

We also sort of knew each other before we started dating (our older siblings were friends). Some of our dates involved meeting up at a diner. His family was also a halfway point so we spent time there, too.

I don't know what it's "like," not sure what to compare it to, lol. I think both of our families being Orthodox made things pretty easy.
Good to know, thanks for sharing. I hope to be married in the Church some day so these are things I have been thinking about. The people I have come to know via attending the Orthodox Church are some of the warmest, nicest, most down to earth, intelligent, perceptive, and just all around amazing people I've ever met in my life, and yet so humble. And their little ones are no different. I 100% believe all the credit for this goes to God and I am divinely inspired to follow in their footsteps.

TexasJenn

Woodpecker
Woman
Orthodox Inquirer
Starting to realise that we are all gonna be in an increasing minority of highly desirable males...
I can tell it's made an impression on my secular friends to hear about this Orthodox Christian man's serious, laser-targeted, and very respectable approach, which stands in sharp contrast to the generally fumbling and aimless or sexual approaches of the secular men they're dealing with. I'm now suggesting they consider Orthodox Christian men. It's unlikely they'll seek them out unless they're also seeking out a closer relationship with God. But at least it seems to be making them think. I think there could well be a big revival in Orthodox Christianity.

Last edited:

rosyclouds

Chicken
Woman
Catholic

I've been thinking about finding a good church, but have been struggling with motivation. Now I'm planning to attend an Orthodox liturgy for the first time on Sunday.

Just wanted to share a very happy update. I'll update more as things unfold...
Congratulations! Do you mind if I ask how you two met? Was it on a dating website?

TexasJenn

Woodpecker
Woman
Orthodox Inquirer
Congratulations! Do you mind if I ask how you two met? Was it on a dating website?
We met on this very website. That's right, I met the man of my dreams on rooshvforum.com :D

He sent me a message, I replied, and the rest is history... in the making.

It's early days yet, and so far it's a fairy tale :love:

We hope to post a big announcement once it's all official :D

Aleksandar

Banned
Other Christian
We met on this very website. That's right, I met the man of my dreams on rooshvforum.com :D

He sent me a message, I replied, and the rest is history... in the making.

It's early days yet, and so far it's a fairy tale :love:

We hope to post a big announcement once it's all official :D

I'm so happy to read this, may God bless you with everlasting love and healthy children!