Deleted Facebook

Atlas Shrugged

Robin
Woman
Facebook is the only social media i have and I only use it for lab information. I don’t have any family or friends on there which upsets them but I have told them I hate social media. Unfortunately it’s good for what I do. The part of the lab I work in is a small field compared to core lab and it’s good to know more people in the field. You never know when something crazy happens in the lab so it’s good to know someone who also experienced it and how to fix it. Talking to so many fellow techs I have heard so many cool ways to cut bone decently. I wouldn’t know if I didn’t have that opportunity with people all over the US.

Kitty Tantrum

Woodpecker
Woman
I've been repeatedly suspended on FB for dumb things and it's actually beginning to make some of my more "culturally compliant" friends/family take notice.

Even if they don't agree with me, I usually make them laugh so they notice when I go missing.

They're catching on to the fact that I get suspended for using common/popular figures of speech (deliberately taken out of context/wildly misinterpreted) where others get promoted/amplified for using the same, and that it has everything to do with the memes I post. :squintlol:

You CAN still use their platforms against them. Limited reach, of course - but these are the people I care about, and they're all that really matters.

FrancisK

Kingfisher
Gold Member
I haven’t been on FB since you had to be in college to have one and could only talk to people within your college, back when it first started. I don’t have any social media, I have a snapchat does that count?

A few years ago when I told people I didn’t have a FB they acted like I had something to hide and asked why, I always told them because it’s poison and I don’t crave attention nor am I interested in other peoples fake lives. Now when I tell people I don’t have a FB they commend me for it…..but of course they themselves can’t do the same.

My little cousin is getting married soon and he came to me for advice because I had a failed engagement and got super burned, he’s my god son. I asked him why he thought he should marry her and one of his first answers was “she doesn’t have any social media”….I told him to marry the girl and treat her like a queen.

IconWriter

Sparrow
Woman
Orthodox
The reason I used FB was to run our church's page, as "free" advertising. It was fun at the time to post photos from Pascha, and other events, and to make announcements, etc. We did receive inquiries through FB messaging but we don't need it now. When I learned what FB was doing behind the scenes I alerted my friends I was leaving and invited them to contact me in other ways. I don't miss it.

OrthoLeaf

Sparrow
Orthodox
I think it was Edward Snowden who said something along the lines of "The greatest trick the intelligence agencies ever pulled was selling surveillance sites as social media". That really tells you all you need to know. The Stasi and KGB had to threaten or bribe your loved ones or break into your house while you were at work, to dig up dirt on you. Now people voluntarily offer up the information in exchange for a dopamine hit.

IconWriter

Sparrow
Woman
Orthodox
FB was useful in promoting our church and iconography guild. It did help initially in directing people to our website and activities. When it became so blatantly politicized, I told a few personal friends I was about to leave and told them how to reach me, but they haven't, which tells me they weren't real friends. It's no great loss; i refuse to be treated as a commodity, with my personal info to be bought and sold.