Dental Health

I wanted to create a new thread about this important topic. I did a search to make sure I was not duplicating another thread. Dental health is of course extremely important, for good health, and often people put off professional dental care, due to cost, or a fear of dentists.

I view this as a place where we can discuss the many facets of dental care, ranging from professional dental procedures, acquiring funding/insurance for dental work, dental tourism, developing good personal dental hygiene habits at home, progress in dental health technology, and whatever else. I for one, wish I had taken better care of my teeth, when I was younger. And part of the reason I moved to the Philippines, was to get some serious dental work done, due to the much lower cost, which I have not yet accomplished.

I hope this thread helps improve the dental health awareness of forum members.

BigFellow

Banned
I have been going to dental appointments for cleanings but I have tried to avoid invasive procedures. They have been repeatedly recommending that I get teeth yanked out, and sometimes they want to replace them with fake teeth. A number of times they acted upset because I didn't want to be X-rayed. I said I wasn't having symptoms so I didn't want that. They will sometimes make me sign an X-ray refusal form and last time they said they might refuse to even see me for another visit.

Another thing that bothers me is I have to use my social security number as my dental insurance number. The insurance company won't let me change that.

I am wondering if I will ever be driven to do home cleanings and if there is a way to do that.

I am wondering if I will ever be driven to do home cleanings and if there is a way to do that.

A new trend... Dental hygienists who come to your home!

BigFellow

Banned
What I meant to say was do-it-yourself cleanings.

However, now that you mention it, I may need consider these home hygienists. Maybe they won't try to pressure me into X-rays and surgical procedures.

Pandemix

Pigeon
Non-Christian
What I meant to say was do-it-yourself cleanings.

However, now that you mention it, I may need consider these home hygienists. Maybe they won't try to pressure me into X-rays and surgical procedures.

You can buy mini dental sets with the same kind of scraping tools dentists use. I use mine in between cleanings to scrape off any tartar buildup on my bottom teeth, but definitely isn't as good as the real thing.

white u.jpg

I had high hopes for this supposed dental hygiene innovation, but apparently it does not do a good job of getting teeth clean. I hope that over time this new form of toothbrush can be perfected. If it could be made to work, just think, effortlessly clean your teeth in seconds!

sonoran_

Kingfisher
Gold Member
Any cure for breath that smells like literal ass? Brushing, hydrogen peroxide, mouthwash dont help. I dont overdo it with the swishing as I know that can irritate and cause worse reactions.

Ive recently tried coconut oilpulling and it seems to help a bit.

But it might be a gut health issue, not sure?

scorpion

Hummingbird
Gold Member
Be very wary of Dentists, especially if you don't have any glaring dental/oral issues already. Many of them are no different than unscrupulous mechanics who will try to talk you into replacing auto parts that are still good. It's very easy to take care of your teeth yourself.

1) Floss daily. This is extremely important. Even more important than brushing. The physical motion of the floss between the teeth prevents the buildup of bacterial chains that coalesce to form plaque. Get the little floss picks, they are very convenient.
2) Brush twice a day. Not rocket science. Brush your damn teeth.
3) Rinse your mouth with water after every occasion you eat, especially if you eat something sugary. Do not leave food particles stuck in your teeth after a meal.
4) Stop drinking soda and other acidic and/or sugary beverages, and limit your consumption of sugary foods.
5) Get a set of dental cleaning tools and remove any plaque you have built up once a month or so. If you are flossing daily there shouldn't be too much. This is not hard, and if you are flossing daily your gums should not bleed when you do this.

Roosh

Cardinal
Orthodox
Any cure for breath that smells like literal ass? Brushing, hydrogen peroxide, mouthwash dont help. I dont overdo it with the swishing as I know that can irritate and cause worse reactions.

Scrape your tongue with a tongue scraper after meals.

iu

If the liquid from your tongue sticks to the scraper, that's bacterial waste and probably has odor. (You can smell it to verify.)

Rinse after. 30 seconds throat gargle followed by 30 seconds mouth swishing. TheraBreath is a good rinse:

iu

This rinse is better but more expensive:

iu

You can also try an oral prebiotic, but I find that they only have short-term effects:

iu

Some people's mouths just happen to be colonized by bad bacteria (usually inherited from parents). Also eat hard fruits/vegetables that naturally scrape your tongue, like apples. Soft, mushy foods, especially with dairy (bacteria love lactose) doesn't do you any favors. You can experiment with diet changes too.

My morning breath is strong (so is my mom's), but after I eat lunch, scrape, rinse, it isn't offensive throughout the day. While some people have naturally good-smelling breath, I'd say a huge percentage of the population will at least have morning breath.

kel

Banned

You don't mention flossing. If that was not an oversight, then flossing is very much your answer. I remember seeing Liv Tyler on some talk show my mom was watching years ago and she said something like flossing being one of the biggest pieces of advice her dad gave her (hopefully she was exaggerating for effect, but still, it's good advice) and did so by saying "Floss good, and now smell the floss. Smell that? That's why you floss".

Roosh

Cardinal
Orthodox
I have been going to dental appointments for cleanings but I have tried to avoid invasive procedures. They have been repeatedly recommending that I get teeth yanked out, and sometimes they want to replace them with fake teeth. A number of times they acted upset because I didn't want to be X-rayed. I said I wasn't having symptoms so I didn't want that. They will sometimes make me sign an X-ray refusal form and last time they said they might refuse to even see me for another visit.

Another thing that bothers me is I have to use my social security number as my dental insurance number. The insurance company won't let me change that.

I have this exact same problem. They are claiming unless I submit to their demands for a yearly bite-wing x-ray and a once-every-four-years panorama x-ray, they can't give me proper care. They actually used the "It can find cancer" excuse (i.e. trying to make me fearful).

Europe is better. They don't x-ray you at all unless you have an issue.

For those who don't know: amalgam (fillings) in your teeth are of the devil. Amalgam contains mercury and over the period of using your filled teeth, some mercury particles abrade into your oral cavity. This results you in becoming physically and mentally disturbed due to poisoning. There has been research to confirm it. What is also interesting is the higher concentration of metal you have in your head, which makes you more receptive to micro- and radiowaves. It is said that the aluminium particles in chemtrails prevent one from processing mercury, meaning that the liver and kidneys don't work as efficient as they ought to.

Here comes the kicker: removing your amalgam fillings is (1) very expensive and (2) life-threatening. The procedure is done under utmost care and the amalgam is disposed as toxic waste. If anyone of you needs fillings, take ceramic or lose your tooth rather than poison yourself. A friend of mine told me even if you get rid of your fillings, it takes approximately 20 years for your body to decompose all of the mercury. If you are interested you can watch this video:

sonoran_

Kingfisher
Gold Member
The tongue scraper is part of my daily routine after 2x/day brushing.

Good tip on the flossing (and the other suggestions mentioned above), I didn't think much of it, but will start doing it more frequently now.

Salinger

Banned
I've read that you can damage your tooth enamel if you try to be your own hygienist, and use their tools. It supposedly takes a "trained professional."

I don't see how you can damage the enamel if you're just using a tartar scraper. I did hear you can open up "pockets" if you go beneath the gum line, but if you stay above it, there shouldn't be any issues. I would just stay away from using the probe or sickle scraper as they look like they could do some damage if used incorrectly.

Hermetic Seal

Pelican
Orthodox
Gold Member
I go to the dentist to have my teeth cleaned every six months or so. Brush at least twice daily, floss a few times a week. I eat sugary snacks, but almost never drink soft drinks. Never had a cavity or other teeth issues. I think I've also benefitted from going to a good dentist who's not out to exploit me with unnecessary procedures.

For my tongue, I always just brush my tongue with the brush when I'm done with my teeth, before spitting out the toothpaste.

Lace em up

Woodpecker
Be very wary of Dentists, especially if you don't have any glaring dental/oral issues already. Many of them are no different than unscrupulous mechanics who will try to talk you into replacing auto parts that are still good. It's very easy to take care of your teeth yourself.

1) Floss daily. This is extremely important. Even more important than brushing. The physical motion of the floss between the teeth prevents the buildup of bacterial chains that coalesce to form plaque. Get the little floss picks, they are very convenient.
2) Brush twice a day. Not rocket science. Brush your damn teeth.
3) Rinse your mouth with water after every occasion you eat, especially if you eat something sugary. Do not leave food particles stuck in your teeth after a meal.
4) Stop drinking soda and other acidic and/or sugary beverages, and limit your consumption of sugary foods.
5) Get a set of dental cleaning tools and remove any plaque you have built up once a month or so. If you are flossing daily there shouldn't be too much. This is not hard, and if you are flossing daily your gums should not bleed when you do this.

Went to a dentist a few years back. Needed a wisdom tooth pulled. They x-rayed all my teeth and showed me 9 cavities on what appeared to be a xerox of the x-rays. Thought it was strange cause only the wisdom tooth hurt. But what do I know. Got the wisdom tooth out, but didnt go back for the cavities. No pain or discomfort so forgot all about it.

Fast forward a couple years and I go to a different dentist with a new toothache. They do a complete exam, x-rays and all that. The girl tells me I have 2 cavities. I told her the last dentist said I had 9 cavities. She shook her head like she hears it all the time. "I didnt find them" while rolling her eyes.

That dude wanted to drill a bunch of holes in my mouth for no reason except to get paid.

paninaro

Pelican
For those who don't know: amalgam (fillings) in your teeth are of the devil. Amalgam contains mercury and over the period of using your filled teeth, some mercury particles abrade into your oral cavity.

Do dentists even use amalgam any more? Those are the silver-colored fillings. All mine lately are composite resin, not amalgam, and look white instead of silver. It's cheaper, that's why they use composite now.