Derek Chauvin Trial

Towgunner

Woodpecker
Just thinking about the whole thing, not just Chauvin but all the other recent and non recent cases of supposed "police brutality" and shootings. All the violence and riots happening are only going to continue. I actually really want to believe that we can have a sort of multicultural society. I like Black people. But the more I see the more I'm convinced this just isn't working and its not whites that are doing this. Black people seem to be ones initiating violence, which they see as acts against "whiteness". Black people seem to be the ones wishing to segregate themselves from white people. All I've known for my whole life is society accommodating black people. Matter of fact, since I've been alive this support be it welfare, affirmative action, quotas etc has only increased through the years. And here we are. Sitting on the precipice of race/civil war. The counter argument says things like "we all bleed red" or how remarkably similar our DNA make-up is from one person to the next can be compelling and make you believe we're a lot more the same than we are different. But this is an illusion. We are different from each other and these differences make a difference.

skullmask

Woodpecker
Just thinking about the whole thing, not just Chauvin but all the other recent and non recent cases of supposed "police brutality" and shootings. All the violence and riots happening are only going to continue. I actually really want to believe that we can have a sort of multicultural society. I like Black people. But the more I see the more I'm convinced this just isn't working and its not whites that are doing this. Black people seem to be ones initiating violence, which they see as acts against "whiteness". Black people seem to be the ones wishing to segregate themselves from white people. All I've known for my whole life is society accommodating black people. Matter of fact, since I've been alive this support be it welfare, affirmative action, quotas etc has only increased through the years. And here we are. Sitting on the precipice of race/civil war. The counter argument says things like "we all bleed red" or how remarkably similar our DNA make-up is from one person to the next can be compelling and make you believe we're a lot more the same than we are different. But this is an illusion. We are different from each other and these differences make a difference.

In Genesis there's the story of the Tower of Babel. God made it so people spoke differently, so that they would separate and have different nations. Now globalists want to undo what He has done. They try and throw different peoples together and insist they are interchangeable. But they are not, and trying to make them so is just an attempt to negate the identity that God gave them. So long as we try and pretend that everyone is the same, ethnic conflict is all but guaranteed. Maybe we could have some sort of workable system if it acknowledged these differences, but I'm not sure that's possible now.

Renzy

Pelican
Closing statements from prosecution so far sound like an appeal to emotion - talking about Chauvin's "pride", how the crowd challenged his authority, how arrogant Chauvin's body language was, how a 9 year old bystander was so distraught she wanted to call the police on Chauvin (calling the police on the police!)...

"Please dear jury, use your feelings, not the facts to render your decision..."

Johnnyvee

Pelican
Anything less than life means Nike and Shoe Locker stores will have 100% off sales.

Looking at this thing objectively, there is no other conclusion possible than that GF was killed by Chauvin. I guess the voluntary vs. involuntary part is the most vital question that the jury must address here. (I haven`t checked what the potential sentence might be for an involuntary manslaughter verdict.)

The problem as I see it is that if Chauvin really was innocent, and that is what the evidence showed and the jury believed as well, they would still have to hand over the guilty verdict. I have no faith in that any jury could withstand this kind of pressure. It would be better for the decision to be left to an experienced (male) judge in my opinion.

ball dont lie

Kingfisher
Gold Member
Please don`t confuse this trial with the larger issues concerning immigration and race differences and so on. I`m quite sure that we are in total agreement there! But in this particular case, I see the evidence as very clear. Best case scenario is that it was extreme negligence on the part of Chauvin.
What the officer did is the official policy that is taught. Chauvin is 140 lbs and GF was 220. He put his knee on the top of his back because that is what officers do every day. This exact situation has happened, probably, tens of thousands of times.

GF had enough fentanyl in his system to kill him. 50% of OD on fentanyl had LESS in their body than GF did. Plus he smoked meth that day too.

GF was going to die at that time, barring a miracle.

Izad

Chicken
What the officer did is the official policy that is taught. Chauvin is 140 lbs and GF was 220. He put his knee on the top of his back because that is what officers do every day. This exact situation has happened, probably, tens of thousands of times.

GF had enough fentanyl in his system to kill him. 50% of OD on fentanyl had LESS in their body than GF did. Plus he smoked meth that day too.

GF was going to die at that time, barring a miracle.
The law states that if you shoot a man falling from a skyscraper and the bullet kills him, you are still guilty of murder. Doesn't matter he was seconds away from crashing into the pavement and dying. Its still murder. Plus opioid overdoses happen almost always instantly, GF was still conscious and functioning although sluggish.

kel

Ostrich
The law states that if you shoot a man falling from a skyscraper and the bullet kills him, you are still guilty of murder. Doesn't matter he was seconds away from crashing into the pavement and dying. Its still murder. Plus opioid overdoses happen almost always instantly, GF was still conscious although sluggish.
The claim here, though, is that watching the person fall is murder.

Looking at this thing objectively, there is no other conclusion possible than that GF was killed by Chauvin. I guess the voluntary vs. involuntary part is the most vital question that the jury must address here. (I haven`t checked what the potential sentence might be for an involuntary manslaughter verdict.)

The problem as I see it is that if Chauvin really was innocent, and that is what the evidence showed and the jury believed as well, they would still have to hand over the guilty verdict. I have no faith in that any jury could withstand this kind of pressure. It would be better for the decision to be left to an experienced (male) judge in my opinion.
The defense should have waived jury trial then.

get2choppaaa

Pelican
The law states that if you shoot a man falling from a skyscraper and the bullet kills him, you are still guilty of murder. Doesn't matter he was seconds away from crashing into the pavement and dying. Its still murder. Plus opioid overdoses happen almost always instantly, GF was still conscious and functioning although sluggish.
No offense but...You don't really know what you're talking about regarding opioid overdoses. If he swallowed the drugs your digestive system has to process it.

Wife is a paramedic with 10 years dealing with these druggies. She has repeatedly stated :The only thing that would have saved his life is an IV Narcan Infusion.

Chauvin, while probably guilty of other crimes (including tax fraud which he was willing to plead to) did nothing wrong here.

I know the philosophy that defense attorneys have of not putting their client on the stand. But I think it was a mistake here. If he could have seemed regretful that Floyd died but looked the jury in the eye and said

"I had no idea he was going to die. Of course I wanted him to live. Do you think I want to be going through a trial where I'm facing spending the rest of my life in jail? The goal of every officer is to bring the suspect back to the station alive, book him, and let the courts decide if he was guilty or not. We get promoted based on convictions, not deaths".

They needed to humanize him.

Where does it state that? Can you cite a statute under Minnesota law? Also, you need proof beyond a reasonable doubt that the accused in fact caused the death. Anything less and he walks.

Izad

Chicken
No offense but...You don't really know what you're talking about regarding opioid overdoses. If he swallowed the drugs your digestive system has to process it.

Wife is a paramedic with 10 years dealing with these druggies. She has repeatedly stated :The only thing that would have saved his life is an IV Narcan Infusion.

Chauvin, while probably guilty of other crimes (including tax fraud which he was willing to plead to) did nothing wrong here.

But the opioid we're talking about here is fentanyl, a lethal dose of fentanyl will kill you instantly. You don't take a lethal dose of fentanyl, walk into a store, get into an altercation then suddenly overdose because digestion has kicked in.

Dusty

Peacock
Gold Member
But the opioid we're talking about here is fentanyl, a lethal dose of fentanyl will kill you instantly. You don't take a lethal dose of fentanyl, walk into a store, get into an altercation then suddenly overdose because digestion has kicked in.
The found fentanyl pills in the back seat of the police car with his saliva on them. He had them in his mouth and spit them out. He likely ingested some, and five minutes later died.

no one really knows for sure how he died. That’s reasonable doubt. Even the prosecution’s witnesses contradicted each other.