Derek Chauvin Trial

You should watch the barnes/frei recap of this to explain where you're wrong about him testifying and also his procedural innocence.
I am aware of his presumption of innocence and I have sat on three juries and voted to acquit in two on similar grounds.

But that's just it: I wasn't on that jury. I'm only expressing a view in how things turned out with this jury pool. There was evidence against him including testimony from his own department's medical examiners, chief of police, and arguments that his behavior was so egregious that he had intent to murder. From what I and an experienced defense attorney friend saw, we were on the fence on manslaughter.

His testimony, if coming across sincere to the jury, could have helped to sway a convinced jury to acquit. He only needed one.

There's how life and law ideally is supposed to be and how it actually is. Juries can be emotionally swayed by video, emotional eyewitness testimony, and yes, the demeanor of the accused and lack of anyone there to support him.

I also wasn't impressed with his defense lawyer.

get2choppaaa

Pelican
I am aware of his presumption of innocence and I have sat on three juries and voted to acquit in two on similar grounds.

But that's just it: I wasn't on that jury. I'm only expressing a view in how things turned out with this jury pool. There was evidence against him including testimony from his own department's medical examiners, chief of police, and arguments that his behavior was so egregious that he had intent to murder. From what I and an experienced defense attorney friend saw, we were on the fence on manslaughter.

His testimony, if coming across sincere to the jury, could have helped to sway a convinced jury to acquit. He only needed one.

There's how life and law ideally is supposed to be and how it actually is. Juries can be emotionally swayed by video, emotional eyewitness testimony, and yes, the demeanor of the accused and lack of anyone there to support him.

I also wasn't impressed with his defense lawyer.
I think you need to revisit your understanding of how a criminal conviction works in a jury trial. You dont just need one to acquit. It is all or nothing. All 12 vote guilty/not guilty or if one or two hold out the judge sends them back for several iterations of deliberation (can be days or even weeks) ususally to determine a verdict. Hung Juries are rare.

Its either a unanimous "guilty" "not guilty" or its a hung jury. He might have been able to convince a skeptical juror... but its not likely. Most decisions are made during opening arguments. AND there was so much media pressure this will go up for appeal and eventually become a mistrial.

Him testifying might have humanized him... but it was much more likely to open him up for risk.

Did you see the video I shared? You should watch if not.

fokm

Woodpecker
Gold Member
To anyone with the opinion that he should have testified to persuade the jury, the question I have for you is, "What does someone say to a witch hunt mob to get them to agree you're not a witch?"

They convicted this guy of manslaughter (killing without intent) and murder (killing with intent). They didn't even say "not guilty" on the lowest manslaughter charge.

If you think there's anything possible he could have said to save his ass, I'd like to know what it is. Those who control our public discourse have already said, "I was just following orders," is not an acceptable defense, and I think the general public agrees with that (legality of so not withstanding).

In other words, if Chauvin said, "I am sorry he died. I am not racist. I was following the training I was taught. I was following orders," you really think they would have rendered "not guilty to all charges"?

Laughable.

kel

Ostrich
Imagine the confidence one must have knowing an organization like this has your back.
This is honestly the best thing to come out of all this. Cops need to start feeling the heat others have for years now. If your pension is worth betraying your family and community, don't be surprised when other people and organizations make a similarly vulgar calculus when it comes to betraying you.

bucky

Ostrich
This is honestly the best thing to come out of all this. Cops need to start feeling the heat others have for years now. If your pension is worth betraying your family and community, don't be surprised when other people and organizations make a similarly vulgar calculus when it comes to betraying you.
I get what you're saying, but I think what's more likely to come of this is that a white cop in the situation Chauvin was in will learn to just let the black suspect go. Plenty of white people to arrest and cite to get your quota. If the black suspect, say, ends up killing someone when he drives off wasted on fentanyl, the white cop will just need to babble about not wanting to propagate systemic racism by physically arresting an unarmed person of color or something like that. Pension secure, black criminal still out and about, goodwhites free to virtue signal far from the inner city. Everyone's happy except maybe the victims of the black criminal, but they dont get reported on and hence don't matter.

get2choppaaa

Pelican
Except I dont think this is going to be
I get what you're saying, but I think what's more likely to come of this is that a white cop in the situation Chauvin was in will learn to just let the black suspect go. Plenty of white people to arrest and cite to get your quota. If the black suspect, say, ends up killing someone when he drives off wasted on fentanyl, the white cop will just need to babble about not wanting to propagate systemic racism by physically arresting an unarmed person of color or something like that. Pension secure, black criminal still out and about, goodwhites free to virtue signal far from the inner city. Everyone's happy except maybe the victims of the black criminal, but they dont get reported on and hence don't matter.

That or they just won't respond to inner city black violence (most likely situation)

Transsimian

Ostrich
Gold Member
Meanwhile, Sony uses child slaves to mine the cobalt for their batteries in Africa

b2DVCsl.jpg

Does his Black life matter Sony?

bucky

Ostrich
Lebron tweeted a threat at the Ohio cop that shot the girl with a knife. The pressure against him caused him to delete it. I think this verdict has awaken and angered a lot more than we realized. Good step.

Goodwhites don't get it. Most people in the world are perfectly capable of preferring a psychopath from their own in-group to an innocent victim from another group. This is why you see goodwhites virtue signaling about the Chauvin verdict. They really think the likes of Lebron James will finally be happy if we can just get a few more cops convicted.

I think you need to revisit your understanding of how a criminal conviction works in a jury trial. You dont just need one to acquit. It is all or nothing. All 12 vote guilty/not guilty or if one or two hold out the judge sends them back for several iterations of deliberation (can be days or even weeks) ususally to determine a verdict. Hung Juries are rare.

Its either a unanimous "guilty" "not guilty" or its a hung jury. He might have been able to convince a skeptical juror... but its not likely. Most decisions are made during opening arguments. AND there was so much media pressure this will go up for appeal and eventually become a mistrial.

Him testifying might have humanized him... but it was much more likely to open him up for risk.

Did you see the video I shared? You should watch if not.
Doh! I meant hang. :)

I'll take a look at the video.

This verdict might just be the straw that finally broke the camel's back. We see celebs calling for the head of the Columbus police officer who saved a black girl's life by shooting another girl trying to stab her and we have the GOP worried about the Chinese treatment of their citizens. This isn't going to fly any longer. The GOP better come up with some better messaging real fast if they want to keep conservatives on the GOP plantation.