Derek Chauvin Trial

PiousJ

Pigeon
You guys were right, I just checked the video and apparently they were trying to get him in the car. However, at the point where he kept repeating he's claustrophobic they probably should've called an ambulance. It seemed like a medical issue at that point. I still think the knee on the neck for such a long period was unnecessary, but it really doesn't matter anymore. That plus the optics of a white cop kneeling over a black dude really pushed things over the edge.

A very tragic and misunderstood incident, it seems. Funny (?) how it could be the catalyst for a racial unraveling in the US.

DanielH

Pelican
You guys were right, I just checked the video and apparently they were trying to get him in the car. However, at the point where he kept repeating he's claustrophobic they probably should've called an ambulance. It seemed like a medical issue at that point. I still think the knee on the neck for such a long period was unnecessary, but it really doesn't matter anymore. That plus the optics of a white cop kneeling over a black dude really pushed things over the edge.

A very tragic and misunderstood incident, it seems. Funny (?) how it could be the catalyst for a racial unraveling in the US.
They called for an ambulance one minute into restraining him on the ground. Criminals aren't exactly known for telling the truth once they get into a conflict with police. Look at this video of the 2019 arrest of George Floyd, where he again resisted arrest.
The only valid conclusion is policing third worlders is a difficult job and Derek Chauvin is being crucified for simply doing his job.

PiousJ

Pigeon
The cop can be heard screaming "spit out what you got or I'm gonna taze you!"

Surely we can agree American cops can be overzealous and aggressive. I think two things can be true at the same time:

1) Black people have a problem with crime and order in their community
2) Cops need better training. Or higher barriers for entry into the force

DanielH

Pelican
I don't know how to get this across to you. There will never be an acceptable standard for policing. Chicago is about to ban police from chasing people. Even then, they will still blame cops for defending themselves. Minorities view white police as foreign invaders to their communities. In the recent case of a female black teen who got shot by a white cop for actively stabbing someone, some politician said the cop should have thrown a net over her. It. Will. Never. Be. Enough. Your #1 point is correct. The #2 point should be "2) Whites and civilized groups, i.e. asians, need to leave the wildlife to fend for itself. Don't get involved. If you're a white cop in a major city, move to a rural area. Forget about your pension because it won't exist anyways when the city inevitably goes bankrupt or society collapses."

The other side is not rational in the sense that you conceive of rationality. They don't have a goal except the complete extinction and destruction of white people and Christianity. All races except for whites have very strong in-group preferences.

Surely we can agree American cops can be overzealous and aggressive. I think two things can be true at the same time:

Real question: have you ever been in a physical altercation of any kind?

Gimlet

Kingfisher

If he were too claustrophobic to get into the police car, the entire incident would not have begun with him driving a car in the first place.

get2choppaaa

Pelican

I am sure we can agree that people on the internet posting comments with out any research only serve to perpetuate the talking points of the media and are usually operating from a position of emotional thought capture.

I am sorry dude. You dont have any idea what you are talking about. Just like everyone else going "but he was kneeing on his neck for 10 mins"

I am not saying that all cops = good and i love muh police even as they are stomping on my civil liberties at behest of the democrat mayor of XYZ city... but its really really easy to make platitude comments like "cops need better training or there should be higher barrier for entry"

People opining about police tactics rarely have ever been in a physical altercation. I have a buddy who had fentanyl powder blown at him (perp opened the packed, put in mouth and blew it in his face) They both had to receive multiple NARCAN doses and my friend almost died. So yeah I'd be saying drop the drugs or you're getting tased also. We can argue about the prone restraint position but it has been used millions of times across the country and so rarely results in death its a statistical anomaly. It looks bad... but it is pretty safe.

Have you ever had to restrain a 220+ lb man. Have you ever restrained a 220 + lb man high on drugs? I am 225-230 and 5"6, with above average strength, muscle mass, and experience in physical altercations. I can assure you, even being very confident in my own abelites, I would not want to wrestle a person that size.

Furthermore, your barrier to entry comment is a little misunderstood. This isnt like we are asking for college professors here. We need people who are willing to get shot at, stabbed, fight, and sued over things they do in the conduct of their job. Who would want to become a cop? Most people are totally unaware of what that training and barrier for entry is. I happen to know because post military I strongly considered it except the pay wasn't sufficient and decided that after the military service I needed to give the family some focus with having 2 little boys. Its kinda hard to have a higher training budget and give more police training when the local government is syphoning your funding off for social justice projects recognizing criminal who kidnap and rob women at gunpoint along with the deification of gangbangers.

PiousJ

Pigeon
Ok, I see your point.

Still, we all agreed police abuse was a serious problem long before Floyd. For instance, the cop in the Derek Shaver incident. The dude was recorded throwing teenagers against the wall and putting them in headlocks YEARS before the Shaver shooting. Nothing was done about it. And we both know there are many more psychotic cops like that walking around.

DanielH

Pelican
Ok, I see your point.

Still, we all agreed police abuse was a serious problem long before Floyd. For instance, the cop in the Derek Shaver incident. The dude was recorded throwing teenagers against the wall and putting them in headlocks YEARS before the Shaver shooting. Nothing was done about it. And we both know there are many more psychotic cops like that walking around.
This isn't really a policing issue. Whites generally don't have problems with white cops. Blacks generally don't have problems with black cops. But when a white cop deals with a black criminal, problems arise. Problems do not arise when a black cop deals with a white criminal, as whites have no in-group preference. Therefore, this is primarily a racial issue. Pussyfooting around the exact details of how cops should do their job is completely missing the point. This society has certain problems, and our police are the result of that messed up society. There's no point in trying to fix police. It can't be done with a broken society. And if the society is beyond repair, well, we'll just have to live with terrible police and awful race relations until we recognize that segregation and blood based nations served a purpose.

TutorGuina

Woodpecker
It's deliberatedly misunderstood

What actually happened was a somewhat reckless cop having an OD'ing suspect dying under his custody

The optics played straight into the regime's narrative, which is unfortunate, but there is NO plausible explanation of why they ommited the full footage every way they could other than malice

No surprise you and 9 out of 10 normies are not even aware the video exists

get2choppaaa

Pelican
Ok, I see your point.

Police abuse isn't some national epidemic. I DO not agree that police abuse is a serious problem in America.

It does happen on rare occasions. It isn't the norm of interactions.

It is 99% of the time someone not being respectful to the cop, and setting the dude off and resisting arrest. 99% Cops dont go around trying to jack people up for kicks. OF COURSE there is an outlier here or there. But most police officers do not want weirdos and abusive thugs serving with them.

I agree that when a bad cop isn't punished, the whole force suffers. Just like the 1 Marine in Okinawa who rapes a local girl and murders her. The force as a whole suffers.

I mean these dudes are on body camera the entire shift in most departments nation wide. It isn't like they aren't aware that they are being recorded.

budoslavic

Owl
Gold Member
e44a9506c0349a13.png

MINNEAPOLIS — Black-owned businesses at the intersection where George Floyd was killed by police last year — now known as George Floyd Square — say they are in dire straits.

Black merchants near the once-thriving corner of 38th Street and Chicago Avenue said police have abandoned the blocked-off intersection, creating a dangerous autonomous zone that has seen crime spike and business evaporate.

“The city left me in danger,” the owner of Smoke In The Pit restaurant told The Post Thursday.

“They locked us up on here and left us behind,” said the merchant, who asked to be identified only as Alexander W. for fear of reprisals.

“They left me with no food, no water, nothing to eat,” he said. “The police, fire trucks, can’t come in here.”

On Thursday the intersection was essentially abandoned — save for the occasional gawker who posed for photos in front of a mural outside Cup Foods, the convenience store where Floyd allegedly passed a counterfeit $20 bill.

At least five stores along one block are shuttered. Owners and workers at most of the stores that do remain open were too afraid to comment to The Post.

“Look around, things are empty,” said Richard Roberts, who works at the nearby Worldwide Outreach for Christ church. “What can we do about it?”

“Sometimes it’s good and sometimes bad,” Roberts said. “It’s not stopping violence.”

The black-owned businesses say they have lost 75-percent of their business since the Floyd memorial sprouted up shortly after his death — and have even launched a GoFundMe fundraising page in a desperate bid to stay afloat.

The merchants “feel they have been the sacrificial lambs” in the city’s response to Floyd’s death, according to the fundraising page.

“In the fight for justice we must not forget the fight of economic justice of (a) once-thriving community,” the page said. “We business owners know that the fight for justice doesn’t just include justice from the legal system, we must also include justice for business impacted.”

The city barricaded the intersection to allow for the Floyd memorial to be erected.

Phil Khalar, a member of the group that oversees the memorial, said the merchants’ complaints are part of “a false narrative.”

“It’s not like we are telling delivery drivers or customers not to come in,” he said. “This area has always been violent.”

Khalar said Bloods gang members “keep us safe in their own way.”

But residents and businesses complain that a new element of lawlessness has seeped into the area recently — with left-wing militants and gang members turning it into a “volatile” autonomous zone.

Police said last month they would retake the intersection and restore safety, but gave no timeline, the Star-Tribute reported at the time.

And it has yet to happen — even after a jury on Tuesday convicted ex-Minneapolis cop Derek Chauvin of murder and manslaughter charges in Floyd’s death.

“Business is bad,” an employee of Giant Express Laundromat said of the Square.

“No one absolutely knows who runs this,” he said. “It’s like a union. One person is selected as a leader one week and if they’re not fit they get thrown out.”

“The black and white community now made this a hangout place to come and grieve,” he added. “There should be a memorial, but something has to be done.”

Steiner

Sparrow
I am sure we can agree that people on the internet posting comments with out any research only serve to perpetuate the talking points of the media and are usually operating from a position of emotional thought capture.

I am sorry dude. You dont have any idea what you are talking about. Just like everyone else going "but he was kneeing on his neck for 10 mins"

I am not saying that all cops = good and i love muh police even as they are stomping on my civil liberties at behest of the democrat mayor of XYZ city... but its really really easy to make platitude comments like "cops need better training or there should be higher barrier for entry"

People opining about police tactics rarely have ever been in a physical altercation. I have a buddy who had fentanyl powder blown at him (perp opened the packed, put in mouth and blew it in his face) They both had to receive multiple NARCAN doses and my friend almost died. So yeah I'd be saying drop the drugs or you're getting tased also. We can argue about the prone restraint position but it has been used millions of times across the country and so rarely results in death its a statistical anomaly. It looks bad... but it is pretty safe.

Have you ever had to restrain a 220+ lb man. Have you ever restrained a 220 + lb man high on drugs? I am 225-230 and 5"6, with above average strength, muscle mass, and experience in physical altercations. I can assure you, even being very confident in my own abelites, I would not want to wrestle a person that size.

Furthermore, your barrier to entry comment is a little misunderstood. This isnt like we are asking for college professors here. We need people who are willing to get shot at, stabbed, fight, and sued over things they do in the conduct of their job. Who would want to become a cop? Most people are totally unaware of what that training and barrier for entry is. I happen to know because post military I strongly considered it except the pay wasn't sufficient and decided that after the military service I needed to give the family some focus with having 2 little boys. Its kinda hard to have a higher training budget and give more police training when the local government is syphoning your funding off for social justice projects recognizing criminal who kidnap and rob women at gunpoint along with the deification of gangbangers.
Bro you are 5'6" and 225 to 230? Why is your username not Gimli?

I'm just busting balls, you are 100% right trying to restrain an ABSOLUTE UNIT is fvarking HARD.

I'm 240, ex bouncer (when I was bouncing I was more like 260) and 6' 4". A man of that size acting out meant you were 1. Calling for backup immediately and 2. Taking control of the situation as fast as possible, in any way you could. I don't see anything wrong with what Chauvin did.

Factor in that ebony muscle AND on drugs, it's amazing they didn't shoot Saint George...

get2choppaaa

Pelican
Bro you are 5'6" and 225 to 230? Why is your username not Gimli?

I'm just busting balls, you are 100% right trying to restrain an ABSOLUTE UNIT is fvarking HARD.

I'm 240, ex bouncer (when I was bouncing I was more like 260) and 6' 4". A man of that size acting out meant you were 1. Calling for backup immediately and 2. Taking control of the situation as fast as possible, in any way you could. I don't see anything wrong with what Chauvin did.

Factor in that ebony muscle AND on drugs, it's amazing they didn't shoot Saint George...
Haha Gimli is probably appropriate... I've been "cultivating mass" one dumbbell and beer at a time since I got out of the Marines.

I mean Chauvin is like 150... I think people underestimate the tenacity it takes to be a police officer and have to calmly apply critical thinking in those situations in a fight or flight response.

Easy_C

Peacock
Real question: have you ever been in a physical altercation of any kind?
I have and have been involved with third world “policing” as an ISAF advisor.

He is not wrong. However there is another component he misses where the police in the US cities are a detached, alien force whereas in other areas(to include rural US) police are a part of the social fabric and local politics in an area. Everyone is going to know the cops indirectly in that circumstance which means many things become conversations instead of fights