Diet help...

The Resilient

Ostrich
Orthodox
Can you do oats?

I also have to eat gluten free as I found I'm allergic to wheat (after years of unidentified digestive issues - basically GERD) In the US we have a quality brand called Bobos that makes very dense and filling oat bars and other oat-based products. But any oats would be great.

I always eat oats room temperature or slightly warm. I never eat cold cereal as that's a major trigger for my GERD.
Oats I think is too high in fiber content for me to digest appropriately

Starlight

Kingfisher
Woman
Protestant
I think a crock pot could be a really good tool for you. You can make all kinds of extremely nutrient dense broths (chicken, vegetable, tomato, etc) from it and then use those homemade liquids in addition to all kinds of purées or use the broth instead of water when cooking rice/rice noodles, etc. The leftover vegetables/chicken used from those broths should be very easy for you to process. I’d recommend a “food mill” over a blender.

Edit: I’d wager you could probably tolerate a homemade beef broth, as long as the fat was skimmed off the top.

Last edited:

messaggera

Pelican
Woman
Other Christian
During fasting periods I frequently drink smoothies made with fruit and peanuts. Planters are noticeably better than generic. Peanuts are high in fat and protein and the fruits are carbs, so it's an all around good meal. You can put a lot of peanuts in one of those smoothies.

I too drink fruit smoothies during fasting days for breakfast, or an apple with peanut butter - both hold me over until lunch when I have a salad.

Never considered peanuts, but that is a great idea I will have to try! Typically, if available for fruit, I put in blueberries, raspberries, strawberries, banana, pineapple, mango, and grapes with honey. Plus orange juice and cranberry juice.

Fasting has brought many new learning opportunities to appreciate combinations of taste and God’s amazing blessing to experience all His creations.

Have such more an appreciation now having to remove/reduce dairy and olive oil from my diet. Sometimes I will only eat one meal a day like @Starlight, regardless I never feel weak or lethargic.

Just an opinion: if done correctly during the week fasting feels healthier as part of a lifestyle.

Pray_Everyday

Robin
Woman
Other Christian
Adding on to other's suggestions...

I don't think I've seen anyone mention potatoes yet, both the regular kind (I like red, gold, and purple), or sweet potatoes. Steamed, baked, or boiled, and can be mashed or blended. Peel beforehand and steam if the skins are an issue.

What about garbanzo beans? The shells pop off pretty easily after cooking, and they blend well in a blender too. Seasoned with a little bit of garlic.

Or gluten free pastas? There's brown rice, lentil, quinoa, or bean varieties. Can be overcooked to softness.

What about hemp protein powder to add to smoothies?

I don't know if this is helpful, but there's a company that makes feeding tube blends ( don't think a feeding tube is required, if I remember correctly), that are based entire on whole foods. Maybe some of their recipes would work?

christie2

Woodpecker
Woman
Other Christian
I'm sure there's lots of options.
I'm going to cook up some congee tonight, add shredded poached chicken and figure out some tasty flavouring.

I'll post recipe when I'm satisfied. Its fun to overcome dietary challenges!
I'm sorry I haven't cooked yet since typing this. This is twice in the last two weeks I've failed to be a female mentor/encourager to a male member here. Forgive me for my ineptitude. I hope the young man who messaged me and you @The Resilient can also forgive me. I pray that other members here can continue helping you both.

The Resilient

Ostrich
Orthodox
I don't take it personal. Thank you very much for at least praying for me. That's always appreciated. The power of prayer is just as strong.

IconWriter

Woodpecker
Woman
Orthodox
Gold Member
I'm sorry for your struggles and wish I could help. In a bout of cancer I had to eat very lean meats without any hormones, salt, etc added. I'm not sure if this would help but I found that I could eat bison meat. I used to have a manual baby food grinder, for my child, and could grind my own meat in small amounts. Perhaps that is something you could try. +prayers+

Luna Novem

Kingfisher
Woman
Catholic
Can you do oats?

I also have to eat gluten free as I found I'm allergic to wheat (after years of unidentified digestive issues - basically GERD) In the US we have a quality brand called Bobos that makes very dense and filling oat bars and other oat-based products. But any oats would be great.

I always eat oats room temperature or slightly warm. I never eat cold cereal as that's a major trigger for my GERD.
You say "basically GERD", indicating that it's not GERD but something similar. You don't happen to be referring to EoE, do you?

fireshark

Kingfisher
Other Christian
You say "basically GERD", indicating that it's not GERD but something similar. You don't happen to be referring to EoE, do you?
No. I have GERD-like symptoms brought on by severe gluten and mild diary allergy, which was brought on by leaky gut. I'm in the process of healing the leaky gut. I've heard it can take years.

Luna Novem

Kingfisher
Woman
Catholic
No. I have GERD-like symptoms brought on by severe gluten and mild diary allergy, which was brought on by leaky gut. I'm in the process of healing the leaky gut. I've heard it can take years.
Gotcha. Sorry to hear. I'm glad you've found a workable solution!

The Resilient

Ostrich
Orthodox
Just wondering how you're managing @The Resilient , what has been working lately?
A lot has been going on lately in life, so,...I tried the millet, wasn't bad.
Buckwheat, bad idea .
Lamb, BAD idea.
I'm pretty limited. I need this though. I don't forget about God this way.
Praise him for this thorn so I don't forget his brilliance

christie2

Woodpecker
Woman
Other Christian
A lot has been going on lately in life, so,...I tried the millet, wasn't bad.
Buckwheat, bad idea .
Lamb, BAD idea.
I'm pretty limited. I need this though. I don't forget about God this way.
Praise him for this thorn so I don't forget his brilliance
Ok, Lord Jesus Christ, thank you for this challenge you've given here. Please continue to have mercy on us sinners. Amen

Did you try the blender idea? I'll look for the post you mentioned it in

christie2

Woodpecker
Woman
Other Christian
The chewing part is the biggest difficulty. It's so small I can't chew it well enough.
I'm legitimately considering getting a baby food blender for stuff like that.
This is it, a baby food blender, did you find one?
The way she described making the quinoa appealed to me. I still haven't ever tried a rice cooker. They say quinoa is glutenfree and its high in protein.
Hemp hearts are around the same size as quinoa and they are glutenfree(i think)and quite high in protein.

What does a baby food blender look like?
I found oneScreenshot_20220725-201240_Chrome.jpg

Last edited: