Difficulty working with people in their early 20s

BenButch

Chicken
I’ll play devils advocate and say some of those hazing type of attitudes are what turned a generation to more soy pursuits. It’s certainly gone way too far the other direction at this point, but you have to be careful not to discourage men that otherwise have potential. For example, some young man coming from a single mother household might need more time to get used to a high-T, no-nonsense environment than someone with a stern father. Sticking with that job could be very transformative for the male with a single mother, and it would be beneficial for a strong male to show a little patience from time to time. If you start just putting young men through the meat grinder, you are inevitably going to churn out some rejects that resort to vengeful SJWism.
I couldn’t agree more. I’m a contractor with young guys working for me. Most don’t have a strong male presence so I’ve come to realize that that isn’t their fault so I try to show them what accountability and responsibility are in the work place. I’m glad to see you view this issue through this prism.

Jive Turkey

Woodpecker
Surprise, surprise, the youngest workers are the worst. No kidding a fifteen year old is going to be the worst employee.

I hire a lot of young guys and it is 50/50, but I live in a red state. A lot of young guys need to be kicked in the ass, but I've also had 17 - 22, year olds really bust their butts and do a thorough job for me. I have also had a couple guys in their thirties and forties who were absolutely worthless.

The trick I have noticed with younger guys is they need more direct hands on leadership and supervision. They are new to the workforce. You have to thoroughly explain WHY you do things a certain way, because schools no longer teach kids to think. If you say "do x" it seems arbitrary so they do exactly what you say and nothing more. But, if you say to them "We need to do x, because of this reason, and if we don't this will mess us up in this regard" you will get a much better result.

It also helps if you make them think a little. Again, they are trained to copy and paste from public schools. Older guys probably can't fully grasp how dumbed down things are these days. But I remember most of my assignments in school were mindless. Copying definitions and turning them in. The transition to having to think and problem solve can be hard. What I like to do is give them an assignment and parameters, but not tell them exactly how to do it. With encouragement.

To a new guy I will say "Hey, I need you to do x, it will probably take you a minute to figure out on your own, but you'll definitely get it. Just be careful and ask me for help if you think you're gonna eff something up".

Then when they get it say good job. Praise them, tell them they are doing good. A high five goes a long way with the youngsters. Everyone loves positive masculinity except for old harridans.

Also, too many prima donnas in management and supervisory roles forgetting they were dumb kids too once. People expect cookie cutter employees who can read minds and pick up exactly where the last employee left off with basically no training.

Just find a good guy with a little bit of hustle and invest in him. They are out there, and it is a chance for you to provide some masculine guidance to a generation sorely needing it. Who knows, with some patience and long suffering you might even make Jesus proud while you're earning a buck.

02Hero

Robin
Meh when I was 19-21 I was anti social as well. I would say I was the proto-Gen-Z as I was doing the same shit as them that is now mainstream. Like playing videogames, social media, Tinder, drugs, music obsession. It is like I see more and more people like myself now - as I was back then. As back then I was a real outcast vs. today where this personality type ("The Sperg") is now normal to an extent in that generation.

I remember my boss and his older coworkers whining about the fact that I was not as social/into talking much.

I am 29.

I was weak as hell though and actually hated that lifestyle deep inside. Humans are not made for that lifestyle at all and you will be depressed living it. Eventually began my journey to become more testosteronous and not a little bitch. NoFap was actually the first initiator of this change.

How to work with people like this? Just give them orders and they will most likely follow it. A lot of them are dreaming in their head.

Last edited:

EddieSmith

Chicken
I’m a guy in my 40s, work in technology.

I’m starting to have a very difficult time working with younger women, or more rarely younger men. A lot of these people seem like they need a whole lot of coddling and feel good vibes from me. It’s extremely easy to offend them.

Anyone experienced something similar? Advice?
Not the advice you’d probably want, but I was in this exact position. I worked in tech as a data analyst, making 6 figures, but quit last year in large part due to so much leftism brought in by those under 30. I just quit. This might not be reasonable in your circumstances.

When I’ve worked with females in tech in their 20s, before the western world lost its mind, I’ve always had to coddle them and make sure they didn’t think I hated them when they made a mistake. With a guy it’s a 1 minute conversation “hey man, you messed up right here.” “My bad, I’ll fix it” “cool, what are you thinking for lunch?”

Females are gonna be females. The good ones over 35 know how to manage not to cry over everything even if that’s her instinct. Nowadays we’re all told we should behave like females, so professional behavior is optional because she’s “living her truth.”

Joseph-Schumpeter

Pigeon
Orthodox Inquirer
It's definitely a struggle. I recently got a new hire who is "gender fluid" / "trans" .. presenting as "male" in the work place but "female" elsewhere afaik.
Given my role, I have to do 1:1 coaching sessions, etc.
I have to be incredibly careful.
I'd echo the cautionary posts earlier in this thread

Gremlin's words are very based:
Don't have private meetings with any òf them, especially the women.

Document every work related interaction you have with them.

Don't get involved with the drama between them.

Keep your interactions with them short and to the point.

Don' take anyone under your wing.

If you have to train them, train them to dot every "i" and cross every "t."

Don't accept invitations from them outside of work.

Never talk politics and keep the humor to a minimum.
This:
It's the omigosh OHHHH soyboy face versus the trad "NO" meme come to life.

I had an young, female intern a few years ago and I was totally shocked at the inability to focus and the constant reaching for the iphone. It was very eye-opening at the time.
Now I just expect this and get pleasantly surprised when I see anything different.

I'm working with a 23 year old now in tech. I'm a 45 year old X'er. I have to say, this kid is a go-getter, as his work ethic is great, he's highly intelligent, result oriented and is well on his way to becoming red pilled. However , the kid is so easily triggered. Thin skinned to say the least. He gets very (vocally) angry with himself when he runs into a problem or makes a minor mistake. I'm trying to mentor him and he is receptive, we just have a long way to go with his short fuse. Today, I told him, as I have many times, "dude, this is R&D, we are cutting trails here, so expect obstacles... It's what we do." We develop electronics (board layout and firmware), so challenges are frequent. It's like he's keeping some kind of score or something... against the cosmos .

Seeker79

Kingfisher
I've been working with a fresh college grad on my team for about a year and a half now and it's a breath of fresh air. I had to get the previous guy transferred because he was a lazy, do the minimum, boomer. This young guy on the other hand is eager to learn and is not afraid to speak up when he needs help or when he sees something that needs attention. I'm with HR and my leadership to get him a raise because unfortunately these young guys are always underpaid.

DenizenJane

Woodpecker
Allow me to throw the R word in the picture.

We could talk about how dejected and weird young people are all day. In fact, I could even compile a huge list and read to oldtimer's over drinks.

Here's some perspective. Millenials/Generation implicitly means white kids. Everybody knows this. But statistically, they barely cut half the demographic of the USA census nowadays. But any silly YouTube sketch or a boomer bitch session, you'd think the entire newest generation is a bunch of lily-white towheads with iphones and weekend parent swaps. So why is everyone so slow to fault the duskier, other half of young people? Because frankly, there's a LOT to fault.

We know its fear. The other likely reason; because they largely don't ever show up through a hiring manager's office in the first place.

These kids got a lot of problems. At this stage in history, its what we got to work with. Chances are you'll never work with the true chaff of the new generation; you're more likely to find them at your house robbing it, than being a mediocre employee at your job.

Maddox

Woodpecker
Allow me to throw the R word in the picture.

We could talk about how dejected and weird young people are all day. In fact, I could even compile a huge list and read to oldtimer's over drinks.

Here's some perspective. Millenials/Generation implicitly means white kids. Everybody knows this. But statistically, they barely cut half the demographic of the USA census nowadays. But any silly YouTube sketch or a boomer bitch session, you'd think the entire newest generation is a bunch of lily-white towheads with iphones and weekend parent swaps. So why is everyone so slow to fault the duskier, other half of young people? Because frankly, there's a LOT to fault.

We know its fear. The other likely reason; because they largely don't ever show up through a hiring manager's office in the first place.

These kids got a lot of problems. At this stage in history, its what we got to work with. Chances are you'll never work with the true chaff of the new generation; you're more likely to find them at your house robbing it, than being a mediocre employee at your job.

Guys, I think he's talking about them colored folk.

As I sit here writing this...it's a Saturday, and I am on call. Last night I received a text to be at the shop to meet the guy I am working with at 9am. I got here 10 minutes early. And he just texted me and said he just woke up and won't be here until 9:40. He's 22 I believe. I'm 30. I don't get it. At his age even, I was so careful about being on time, and if I was late, I'd feel terrible and make sure to never do it again. Yet with him, it's often a problem. But some people just don't respect other people's time. I don't know if it's a maturity thing or an upbringing thing. But it sure is annoying working with chronically late people who always have a stupid excuse. 5 minutes I can deal with, not a big deal, just call and let me know you'll be a few minutes late. But 40 minutes. On a Saturday. During an on-call shift that was established the night before... grow up.

Brebelle3

Robin
Orthodox Inquirer
As I sit here writing this...it's a Saturday, and I am on call. Last night I received a text to be at the shop to meet the guy I am working with at 9am. I got here 10 minutes early. And he just texted me and said he just woke up and won't be here until 9:40. He's 22 I believe. I'm 30. I don't get it. At his age even, I was so careful about being on time, and if I was late, I'd feel terrible and make sure to never do it again. Yet with him, it's often a problem. But some people just don't respect other people's time. I don't know if it's a maturity thing or an upbringing thing. But it sure is annoying working with chronically late people who always have a stupid excuse. 5 minutes I can deal with, not a big deal, just call and let me know you'll be a few minutes late. But 40 minutes. On a Saturday. During an on-call shift that was established the night before... grow up.
The only person I allow to be late with me is my priest.

He's doing God's work.