Distilled water, is it safe to drink?

Hannibal

Ostrich
Gold Member
Greetings,

In the past six months I have attempted to clean up and make cheaper my diet.

Through the long rabbit hole of research, I stumbled upon an alarming fact of where I live. The tap water has (below federal standards of 10 ppb) uncomfortably high levels of arsenic and chloramines.

Naturally I dug into this and found a solution, or I thought. Buy a distiller and drink distilled water.

After more research, which is the usual internet fare of three camps :
1) drinking distilled water is dangerous and you will die of mineral depletion
2) it is neither harmful nor beneficial
3) you will grow a Cape, fly away, and live to the age of 120

There is too much conflicting information and research with confounding variables.

My question to the forum is : is distilled water safe to drink for the long term?

I tried it for a week and noticed greatly improved circulation, sleep, and bowel movements. Plaque on my teeth was nonexistent and concentration was at an all time high, no brainfog, nothing. It makes sense as the water is about as pure as you can get. However, the nagging notion was that distilled water is hungry to latch on to any chemical to give it charge, be it from carbon dioxide or nitrogen in the air or essential minerals in the body.

After reading a review from someone who had tried it for three weeks, their teeth had become dark in spots and translucent in others and I was scared off almost entirely. Demineralization had surely occurred here.

The tap water where I live is toxic, distilled might have other serious drawbacks, is there an alternative that does not require expensive filters or kitchen setups? I am well aware of plastics leeching phytoestrogens into water from bottles, etc, so i would like to avoid the bottled water route if possible. Most filters I have researched do almost nothing, which can be evidenced by a water test for parts per million or billion.

Thanks

Tom Slick

Woodpecker
Orthodox
I've been all through this with personal experience and everything I say is based on that.

Distilled water should not be drunk, unless you consider it some kind of temporary medicine. It is interesting that one week seemed to have a benefit for you, whereas 3 weeks were very bad for me, although I already had issues from drinking bad tap water overseas (likely causing heavy metals toxicity), so my situation is not typical.

The simple solution is to drink actual, proper, natural spring water. I have to say it that way because as with everything that can be sold, it can be faked, and most spring waters sold in a normal grocery store, such as the less expensive Ozarka, are trash. Do they dilute them with tap water? I assume yes because of the temptation to increase profit, but I don't know for certain why they suck.

The best widely available spring water is Mountain Valley out of Arkansas, although there is likely something sold where you live that is just as good or better. The popular imported brands, like Evian and Fiji are fine, but I found that after a certain amount of time I had to change, as if there was some mineral combination or some sensitivity in my body that built up, however that never occurred with Mountain Valley. I buy it in 5 or 2.5 gallon glass bottles at Whole Foods or similar, and there's even a local water delivery company I could use.

Short answer: no.

There are essential minerals in water that your body needs. Distilled water have none of these, so long term you will be depriving your body of those minerals and your health will suffer. Short term or in limited quantities as part of a well balanced diet should pose no issues, although I am not sure of any actual benefits.

Sa6re

Robin

There are essential minerals in water that your body needs. Distilled water have none of these, so long term you will be depriving your body of those minerals and your health will suffer. Short term or in limited quantities as part of a well balanced diet should pose no issues, although I am not sure of any actual benefits.
That’s the answer that bill gates and his buddies have given. Straight out of wikipedia that is. The benefits: it doesn’t have poisons in it. Is their any actual evidence that Distilled water deprives or chelates the body of minerals?

GuitarVH

Kingfisher
Orthodox Inquirer
What in the world are some of the above posters talking about?

Distilled water is the best. Brew a new gallon every day. Stop with the insane propaganda.

It has 0 ppm. Takes all the chemicals and toxins out of the tap water. Guess what, that's a good thing!

Stop the insanity. Drink distilled water all day long. You're welcome.

DanielH

Ostrich
Orthodox
That’s the answer that bill gates and his buddies have given. Straight out of wikipedia that is. The benefits: it doesn’t have poisons in it. Is their any actual evidence that Distilled water deprives or chelates the body of minerals?
God didn't give us springs of distilled water to drink. If you're drinking distilled water with food, you'll be fine, but if you were to bottle it up and work in the summer heat for a few hours while drinking distilled water, you could rapidly deplete yourself of electrolytes even faster than you would drinking normal water. Also due to osmosis, your cells will end up balancing the levels of salts inside and outside the cell, and if there are fewer salts outside the cell membrane, the cell will absorb nutrient deprived fluids and could even burst.
1625059571496.png

Maybe the above concerns are not that serious in reality. I don't know.

Best answer to toxic water is to get a good filter. I use an AlexaPure filter which I purchased with Vincent James' promo site for a discount.
Alexa Pure test results
Filters out fluoride, chlorine, lead, hormones, whatever else you could be concerned about, and you support one of our guys. Myself and two others did a blind taste test between tap water, filter pitcher water, and Alexapure water at home, and we all guessed correctly. Also in the long run this will be more economical for you since one filter lasts for 5000 gallons and doesn't use electricity.

If anyone has seen benefit from drinking distilled water, it's probably because you're comparing it to drinking poison water. I would rather drink distilled than tap for sure.

Hannibal

Ostrich
Gold Member
Distilled water should not be drunk, unless you consider it some kind of temporary medicine. It is interesting that one week seemed to have a benefit for you, whereas 3 weeks were very bad for me, although I already had issues from drinking bad tap water overseas (likely causing heavy metals toxicity), so my situation is not typical.
What happened to you after three weeks?
I'll have to check out some spring waters in my area, that's probably the best safe idea.

What bothers me is that there are people who claim that the minerals present in hard water are inorganic and unable to be decently absorbed by the body, and distilled flushes out inorganic minerals and leaves the organic ones in the body. Then the other camp claimed that the distilled water will leech all the zinc/magnesium/iron and whatever else out of the body. I dont know enough about body chemistry or nutrition to know which is BS.

What in the world are some of the above posters talking about?

Distilled water is the best. Brew a new gallon every day. Stop with the insane propaganda.

It has 0 ppm. Takes all the chemicals and toxins out of the tap water. Guess what, that's a good thing!

Stop the insanity. Drink distilled water all day long. You're welcome.
How long have you been drinking distilled and what does your diet look like?

If that's the only benefit ("no poisons") why not just go with spring water?
Biggest benefit imo is that I can make a gallon of pure water at home for about 30 cents. Save money,, more or less.

Stats

Woodpecker
This is a topic I have been interested in as well and is very hard to decipher the the real data.

Personally I was planning a 6 month optimal health test that included drinking only distilled water.

OP I highly suggest you keep going with drinking only distilled water for a while longer and report here you personal experience since your short test was so positive.

Key note for any one going for distilled is that you have to have a good diet with lots of leafy greens to replace to minerals.

stugatz

Pelican
Does anyone own a Berkey filter? I don’t (they’re hella expensive) but one of my former health nut roommates owned one and the water definitely had a much different neutral taste than you get with a standard Brita.

As far as I know, Berkeys are expensive at first, but the filters last a very long time (like a few years compared to 3 months with a Brita), and you can filter stuff like rainwater and make it potable.

DanielH

Ostrich
Orthodox
Does anyone own a Berkey filter? I don’t (they’re hella expensive) but one of my former health nut roommates owned one and the water definitely had a much different neutral taste than you get with a standard Brita.

As far as I know, Berkeys are expensive at first, but the filters last a very long time (like a few years compared to 3 months with a Brita), and you can filter stuff like rainwater and make it potable.

1625066824599.png1625066847162.png

I don't have a Berkey (left) but an Alexapure (right). Pretty much the same thing. Highly recommend either. It's cheaper than Berkey with the link I shared on my other post and it came with a metal instead of plastic valve.

Edit: If you were handy you could buy just the filter, not the whole unit, drill a hole in a container of your choice, stick the filter in that hole and then put another container under it and add a valve to the bottom reservoir. The containers themselves are very overpriced unlike the filters.

stugatz

Pelican
View attachment 31705View attachment 31706

I don't have a Berkey (left) but an Alexapure (right). Pretty much the same thing. Highly recommend either. It's cheaper than Berkey with the link I shared on my other post and it came with a metal instead of plastic valve.

Edit: If you were handy you could buy just the filter, not the whole unit, drill a hole in a container of your choice, stick the filter in that hole and then put another container under it and add a valve to the bottom reservoir. The containers themselves are very overpriced unlike the filters.
Do any of these fit in a refrigerator? I may just have to use a pitcher, and have a filled Berkey for the next to-be-chilled batch.

I can say that though with my last post, I mentioned the water’s taste. Water that’s been filtered all the way, other than on a surface level like a Brita, almost has a flat and unappealing taste at first. We’re used to water tasting a certain way, it’ll probably take a while to unlearn.

DanielH

Ostrich
Orthodox
Do any of these fit in a refrigerator? I may just have to use a pitcher, and have a filled Berkey for the next to-be-chilled batch.

I can say that though with my last post, I mentioned the water’s taste. Water that’s been filtered all the way, other than on a surface level like a Brita, almost has a flat and unappealing taste at first. We’re used to water tasting a certain way, it’ll probably take a while to unlearn.
The alexapure is the the height of my elbow to finger tips fully extended. Could fit in a fridge but I wouldn't want to do that. Berkey has a smaller version. I know what you're saying. I had two people say it tastes like fresh spring water but I think they were used to really bad water. Actual spring water - not bottled - tastes better in my opinion.

stugatz

Pelican
I keep saying “Berkey” on accident. I’ll need to write down your brand so I don’t forget all about it, looks like a better deal by far.

kel

Ostrich
Try findaspring.com to.... do exactly what the name suggests. Not a practical way of getting all your drinking water, probably, but it can be a fun adventure.

This is not entirely related, but when thinking about water and minerals in it I can't help but think of the entertaining Snake Juice guy. HEY FATTY!

Stats

Woodpecker
I think the whole argument for distilled water is that the minerals in water are inorganic and can not be properly used by the body (clogging it up and doing damage over time) for its benefit like minerals in plants, . if your gonna remineralize distilled water you might as well just go with the filter option.

SilentCal

Robin

I just bought a Berkey and it sucks. Took an hour to put it together, and the flouride filters are submerged in the water in the reservoir. Gives the water a weird taste and smell. I read that the flouride filters contain some kind of aluminum compound, which might be bad to ingest. I’m returning it today.

DeWoken

Woodpecker
Orthodox Inquirer
I just bought a Berkey and it sucks. Took an hour to put it together, and the flouride filters are submerged in the water in the reservoir. Gives the water a weird taste and smell. I read that the flouride filters contain some kind of aluminum compound, which might be bad to ingest. I’m returning it today.

Good info. I'm in the countryside so I have no need for the fluoride add-on, luckily. A good water filter was on my list of things to buy until my parents gave me their old car... now I have repairs to see to - a blessing and a curse.

I hear Berkeys are quite good but there is that issue of fake reviews that we all know has been proliferating over the years. In addition to that there is the weirdness that you can't just go buy a Berkey at Canadian Tire or wherever, you have to go through their special distributors, which are not run by Berkey. It's all a little shady in my opinion. I've read equal amount of scathing reviews to balance out the glowing ones; who knows which ones are real and which are fake.

Vincent James' Aquapure definitely gets some consideration due to his good work.

I have never found this idea of distilled water leaching minerals to be terribly convincing. Of more concern would be clothing materials, water and food storage materials, and diet & drug intake.