Divine Providence and Dating

SingularityOne

Woodpecker
Orthodox
I'm not really sure if I know enough to respond to these things in a way that would satisfy you. I'd recommend sitting down and discussing it with your confessor.

It sounds like you are worrying too much. Nobody is free from sin and passions. Just live the Christian faith as best you can, and don't become too concerned about God's motives, just accept His will. If we received perfect justice we'd all be punished all the time, but the Lord is merciful, and He gives us many gifts that we do not deserve.
Yeah, you’re probably right. I’m overthinking and trying to figure out things that are beyond what’s probably beneficial to know (God’s motives). I guess I am still trying to delineate God’s justice and mercy and that’s not for my mind to delve into. Seeing the gifts each day is harder for me than seeing the justice (or what may be being perceived as justice due to listening more to my melancholic feelings than trusting in God’s mercy/gifts). I just need to trust that nothing escapes His will and everything He allows is for our benefit even though His motives are unknown.

But, I texted my confessor about this to talk about it, good idea.

Lawrence87

Kingfisher
Orthodox
Yeah, you’re probably right. I’m overthinking and trying to figure out things that are beyond what’s probably beneficial to know (God’s motives). I guess I am still trying to delineate God’s justice and mercy and that’s not for my mind to delve into. Seeing the gifts each day is harder for me than seeing the justice (or what may be being perceived as justice due to listening more to my melancholic feelings than trusting in God’s mercy/gifts). I just need to trust that nothing escapes His will and everything He allows is for our benefit even though His motives are unknown.

But, I texted my confessor about this to talk about it, good idea.
I try to thank God, firstly for creating and preserving my life, this is a gift. God could end your life at any time, but He doesn't. He didn't have to create you either. Thank Him for bringing you into the true church and offering you what you need for your salvation. For the fact you have clothes, food, medicine, shelter, and many other material things that exceed these necessities. Thank Him for any gifts or talents that He has given you. For the friends and family you have. Etc. Every good thing comes from God.

If He was fully just would He bestow these many gifts on you?

SingularityOne

Woodpecker
Orthodox
I try to thank God, firstly for creating and preserving my life, this is a gift. God could end your life at any time, but He doesn't. He didn't have to create you either. Thank Him for bringing you into the true church and offering you what you need for your salvation. For the fact you have clothes, food, medicine, shelter, and many other material things that exceed these necessities. Thank Him for any gifts or talents that He has given you. For the friends and family you have. Etc. Every good thing comes from God.

If He was fully just would He bestow these many gifts on you?
Ah, I see.

That’s a good question. Probably not. I think I have a skewed idea of God and that’s leading me to overthink these things and distracting me from being thankful for the gifts He has given me currently and in the past up until now.

So even friends come from God. He leads those who we are supposed to be friends with for our mutual salvation too? If that’s the case, that’s very reassuring. I thought forming relationships/friendships was totally in my control.

Thanks for all the other reminders of things that are gifts. I need to focus on those things.

Stoyan

Banned
Orthodox
Yes, even friends come from God. Because as you said, God gives us gifts, however we must also be smart and discerning enough to recognize the gifts that God brings to us. I think that these "gifts from God" are actually opportunities, good things that pass by you, but it's up to you to take them by yourself. If God gives you an opportunity, it's not so wise to just discard it, whether by pride, fear, foolishness, or carelessness.

Here is my story, how I blew such a seemingly random opportunity.

SingularityOne

Woodpecker
Orthodox
Yes, even friends come from God. Because as you said, God gives us gifts, however we must also be smart and discerning enough to recognize the gifts that God brings to us. I think that these "gifts from God" are actually opportunities, good things that pass by you, but it's up to you to take them by yourself. If God gives you an opportunity, it's not so wise to just discard it, whether by pride, fear, foolishness, or carelessness.

Here is my story, how I blew such a seemingly random opportunity.

I read your story, and I agree. That’s how it makes sense that synergy works. I put a lot of pressure on myself to make things work out in relationships when it comes time to capitalize. I’m working on trusting that God brings us these gifts, but also on how to be less prideful and thus pressuring myself less to do things “perfectly,” and just bringing who I am to the experience when the time comes. It’s hard for me to believe that God actually brings us our friends and our spouses, but I’ve got to trust in the Lord that He is in control there too.

Last edited: