Do a self-examination of your faith

Roosh

Cardinal
I stumbled on a great article that asks a lot of pertinent questions about an individual's faith. This should help you maintain humility in your path to theosis.

First it starts off pretty "easy"...
You and God
  1. Do you believe in God, the Holy Trinity, and in the divinity of Christ? Do you respect the Holy Virgin Mary, the Saints, and the Angels? Do you believe in the Church and its Mysteries (Sacraments)? Do you believe that Heaven and Hell exist?
  2. Do you trust yourself always, and especially during the difficult times of your life, to the care and Providence of God? Or do you despair and show a lack of faith?
  3. Perhaps in the problems, afflictions, sicknesses, and trials of your life you moan and complain against God and lose your faith and confidence?
  4. Do you believe in mediums, fortune-telling, tarot card reading, or coffee-cup reading? Do you tell other people to believe in such things and go to such people?
  5. Do you believe in superstition?
  6. Do you believe in luck?
  7. Do you pray morning and evening and before and after each meal? Are you embarrassed to make the sign of the cross in the presence of others, for example, in a restaurant or outside a holy church when you are passing by? Do you not make your cross properly?
  8. Do you read the Holy Bible as well as other Orthodox spiritual books daily?
  9. Do you go to church on Sundays and on the major Feast Days? [3]
  10. Do you follow the Divine Liturgy carefully and reverently from the start until the end, or do you go late and leave before the end? Do you let your mind wander in church?
  11. Do you go to church dressed in a proper and dignified way? Are you careful not to laugh, or talk even if it is a Wedding or Baptismal service?
  12. Do you perhaps prevent or restrict your spouse or children from going to church? Or do you tell your acquaintances not to go to church?
  13. Do you commune regularly or only once a year, and then without Holy Confession?
  14. Do you give oaths without need or, if so, lie as well? Did you perhaps not fulfill your oath, vow, or promise? The Bible forbids oaths completely, saying that our "yes" be "yes" and our "no" be "no" (St Matthew 5:7).
  15. Do you blaspheme the Name of God, the Virgin Mary, and our Saints by speaking irreverently of them?
  16. Do you fast (unless you have a serious health problem) on Wednesdays and Fridays and during the appointed periods of the year? [4]
  17. Do you throw religious books or periodicals in unclean places?
Then it gets much harder. Read it here:

http://orthodoxinfo.com/praxis/guide-to-confession.aspx

DeFide

Robin
It’s an “Examination of Conscience”. As a Catholic I immediately recognized it. Here is an example: http://www.traditionalcatholicpriest.com/examination-of-conscience/ It sounds as though it was copied verbatim from a Catholic prayerbook, devotional manual, or guide on confession, “Orthodoxized” (given “minor corrections”) and published by OrthodoxInfo.com without giving due credit to it’s unmistakable Catholic origin. You’re welcome! :)
Received by email from Fr. Demetrios Corellas. Original source unknown. Minor corrections were made, and quotes by St. John of Kronstadt and footnotes were added. Posted on 3/7/2008.

Last edited:

NickK

Robin
It’s an “Examination of Conscience”. As Catholic I instantly recognized this.
It sounds as though it was copied verbatim from a Catholic prayerbook, devotional manual, or guide on confession, Orthodoxized (given “minor corrections”) and published by OrthodoxInfo.com without giving due credit to it’s unmistakable Catholic origin. You’re welcome :)
It was baptised.

DanielH

Pelican
“11. Do you gamble or play cards, even without money, with relatives and people at home to "kill time" as the saying goes?”
Can someone explain this one to me? I don't gamble but I play card games like Uno or solitaire sometimes, is this one more about wasting time?

DeFide

Robin
“11. Do you gamble or play cards, even without money, with relatives and people at home to "kill time" as the saying goes?”
Can someone explain this one to me? I don't gamble but I play card games like Uno or solitaire sometimes, is this one more about wasting time?
In “Examinations of Conscience” as we call them, sins are typically listed and helpfully arranged according to categories: such as sins against each of the Ten Commandments, or sins against the seven theological virtues. These are then further broken down into degree of sin such as mortal or venial, according to one’s state in life (individual, couples, etc.) and so forth. Presumably, these helpful categories were removed when this confession guide was “Orthodoxized” since classifying things like sins and virtues in such rational manner just reeks of papism and the Latins’ legal, juridicial, Augustinian mentality, not to mention Scholasticism and —distinctions and categories and all that bad stuff, ya know.

Based on what I’ve seen before, this confession guide was probably following a numbering arrangement based upon each of the Ten Commandments. We Catholics number the Ten Commandments differently from Protestants (except Lutherans, they use the same numbering we do—based on Augustine). OrthodoxInfo omitted these from its version, but under this scheme, the question you posted would fall under the category of sins against the Seventh and Tenth Commandments: “Thou shalt not steal” and “Thou shalt not cover thy neighbors goods”. That would have given you, the penitent, a clearer idea of what it’s getting at.

Strictly speaking gambling is not sinful and immoral in itself. It can be made the occasion of sin (such as when a passion for gambling leads a man to spend money which is not his own, or which is necessary for the upkeep of wife or children, or to pay his lawful debts)... besides, there is generally an element of danger in it, most people gambling arouses keen excitement, and quickly develops into a passion which is difficult to control. If indulged in to excess it leads to loss of time, and usually of money; to an idle and useless life spent in the midst of bad company and unwholesome surroundings; and to scandal which is a source of sin and ruin to others. One can see how gambling, then, could lead to sins against the 7th and 10th commandments. Playing cards & gambling without money, likewise, are legitimate forms of amusement and not in themselves sinful but could become such. Like you said, it’s talking about wasting time on idle amusements (“thou shalt not steal”).

I wouldn’t worry too much about playing cards with family members or playing Uno or solitaire and things like that becoming an occasion of sin though. If anything, those are all wholesome activities, especially to do with family members (“relatives and people at home”) You have to remember, this is also probably based upon something that is based upon something that is from the early 1950s at the very latest. You are more likely to be “kill time” in idleness by being holed up inside playing video games these days, than by playing rummy or canasta with your relatives.

DanielH

Pelican
Presumably, these helpful categories were removed when this confession guide was “Orthodoxized” since classifying things like sins and virtues in such rational manner just reeks of papism and the Latins’ legal, juridicial, Augustinian mentality, not to mention Scholasticism and —distinctions and categories and all that bad stuff, ya know.
I appreciate the thorough answer. I do not, however appreciate this snark. I just asked an innocent question and I ended up being straw manned out of left field from someone new to the forum.

The forum has become a lot more hostile in recent weeks and months.

DeFide

Robin
I appreciate the thorough answer. I do not, however appreciate this snark. I just asked an innocent question and I ended up being straw manned out of left field from someone new to the forum.

The forum has become a lot more hostile in recent weeks and months.
There was absolutely no hostility or straw-manning intended in my comment. I’m sorry that you read it that way.