Do you own physical Gold or Silver or Both?

Do you own physical Gold or Silver or Both?

• I own physical Gold

Votes: 33 9.5%
  • I own physical Silver

Votes: 55 15.8%
  • I own Both

Votes: 105 30.2%
  • I own neither

Votes: 130 37.4%
  • I only own paper metals

Votes: 25 7.2%

• Total voters

NoMoreTO

Ostrich
I went to a private dealer, a reputable one I would say. They took name for the invoice, and I think I could have paid cash. Remember these are precious metal guys, they prefer cash over card.

You can get it from the local bank or kitco, but I think it'd be a little more tracked. Buying with cash privately worked for me.

Always good to have a little savings in precious metals somewhere, Its a great thing to pass on someday too. True savings.

Louis IX

Pelican
Just picked up some more fractional old "European" gold
For those wanting to buy anonymously the best is to build yourself a little network of trustable people in your country/,region / custom zone .

Buy a few legally just to "enter" the market and try to build up your stack and/or collection from there.

Cash hand-to-hand is king when it comes to trading important volume ; at least in most countries in west Europe

Mountaineer

Kingfisher
Gold Member
Finally received all my orders.
Not sure this is going to be off interest to anyone ( maybe @Tail Gunner who seems to be a pro investor ) but I found two ways to make money with gold.

1) I basically spend hours to find shops in every country in the EU and hunt for mistakes/slow updating in price . Its scary how many shops are "sleeping '.
Sometimes I think it s deliberate for the dealer to get payments and not go bankrupt.Mostly this happens with semi numismatic stuff ( example the coin is worth 400 ; I find it for 340 ; put it on sale for 380 ; everyone is happy : I make profit ; the buyer gets a decent deal + anonymity)

Typically an order over 2/3k of undervalued coins ( can't go more with my budget ) can provide up to 8/10% profit while selling on the secondary market or specialized forums.
This takes some time but I am not in a hurry.

2) Arbitrage.

Now we are talking mostly about investment coins. Have a look at buyback prices in various countries. It is very difficult and very demanding and involves several countries. This technique might not work in the USA/Canada.
Most dealers offering good buyback prices are in Germany. A few coins are taken back above spot . A simple example would be the Swiss vreneli ; taking a huge premium during this crisis in Germany. Much more than any other coin. I can find the coin with a very low premium at various shops where people still have stocks and where the Swiss coins are not too liquid despite keeping a very good spread.
I buy the coins and then sell them to a dealer. Even with the two postage fees I keep making profit. Then it s all down to volume . That s why I regret not to have more liquidity.
You can even find this on some numismatic coins but sometimes the buyback offer gets rejected if the state of the coin is not too good so this requires more knowledge.

The great thing with gold is that even if you miss an investment or make a mistake buying your stuff is still worth the value of the metal. Unlike other collectible
What sources do you use for getting metals from abroad?

Robert High Hawk

Kingfisher
Bought some gold a few months back, never silver. What are the main benefits to silver vs gold?
Supposedly silver will be used a lot in the new green tech push from governments. But also it's historically cheap compared to gold right now. Also you can get a lot of it for less so giving some of it away as gifts or even making things out of it isn't something insanely expensive.

Robert High Hawk

Kingfisher
Won't it also increase the supply? It makes sense that as demand increases, miners would increase production as well.
That could certainly be the case.

I want to be clear I'm not backing this position, only relaying what a lot of silverbugs have posited. Their claim is that demand for all these new green technologies will outstrip supply indefinitely.

"
  • Demand: Increased production of hybrid & battery electric vehicles, which have a higher silver loading than internal combustion engines, will increase silver demand. While per-unit silver loading in photovoltaic cells will decrease, the volume of PV cells overall should increase. Other areas that require conductors such as 5G are promising. Use of silver for jewelry, silverware, coins & bars will be stagnant, while photographic demand will continue to fall, but from an already diminished base amount."

redbeard

Hummingbird
That could certainly be the case.

I want to be clear I'm not backing this position, only relaying what a lot of silverbugs have posited. Their claim is that demand for all these new green technologies will outstrip supply indefinitely.

"
  • Demand: Increased production of hybrid & battery electric vehicles, which have a higher silver loading than internal combustion engines, will increase silver demand. While per-unit silver loading in photovoltaic cells will decrease, the volume of PV cells overall should increase. Other areas that require conductors such as 5G are promising. Use of silver for jewelry, silverware, coins & bars will be stagnant, while photographic demand will continue to fall, but from an already diminished base amount."
Thanks for clarifying. The difficult thing about this play is that you're not betting on the demand increasing, you're better on the demand increasing AND the supply staying the same. Tough to call!

Alternatively, Bitcoin's supply increases at the same, fixed rate no matter how much demand there is. This makes it a much more asymmetric play. As demand goes up, prices go up too.

Robert High Hawk

Kingfisher
Thanks for clarifying. The difficult thing about this play is that you're not betting on the demand increasing, you're better on the demand increasing AND the supply staying the same. Tough to call!

Alternatively, Bitcoin's supply increases at the same, fixed rate no matter how much demand there is. This makes it a much more asymmetric play. As demand goes up, prices go up too.
Yeah my take is that "stacking" is just a form of asset diversification. While this may sound pedestrian, Silver is just a cool metal that is valuable enough to be meaningful and own, but also cheap enough to give out rather liberally as presents, or even better yet use for something nice around the house, like ACTUAL silverware, or Pots, or a frame, etc... But mostly it's just another hedge to have for inflation, so that's why I get it.