Does anyone vegetable garden?

TexasJenn

Woodpecker
Woman
Any advice on what to grow with the cucumbers to add to the pickles?

We have A LOT of garlic growing and will use that. Also thinking of growing some dill. All my experience with pickling was the week or so when I was a kid that I would get on the school bus each morning smelling like a pickle factory.
I love adding slices of onion and red jalapenos to the pickles, which are both pretty easy to grow, depending on your climate.

Kitty Tantrum

Woodpecker
Woman
Haha, it's raining again so I get away with not watering!

(I would feel really guilty if the potted blueberries and rhododendrons died.)

I have started dreaming about tomatoes, though. Might have to get some starts soon, because those DID grow really nicely last year. I could be pretty happy with just tomatoes. :blush:

TexasJenn

Woodpecker
Woman
Generally, rain water is much better for plants than tap water for its beneficial nutrient profile. It's ideal to collect rain water and use it to water indoor plants at least some of the time as well. My mom has set up 3 large vessels outdoors to catch rain water for plants on the patio. I need to do the same.

My basil plant is lush and full. I'm thinking I'll make homemade pesto for Mother's Day. My mom loves my homemade pesto. It really is the bomb with all that sweet fresh basil.

Callixtus

Robin
I have two raised beds on my little patch of dirt. This year I planted tomatoes, a few types of peppers, green beans, broccoli, cucumber, zucchini and catnip. My toms and zukes go crazy each year, less so for the peppers, and the beans broc and cukes do okay. Catnip is a new one for me, we'll see how the cat likes it.

Lamkins

Woodpecker
Woman
I’ve put housework on hold for a couple of weeks to get all the outdoor stuff finished. It takes me forever because I poop out so quickly. I have memories of seeing my grandmother doing yard work and dragging her shovel full of dirt behind her. I do the same thing, lol.

I envy those of you who can grow tomatoes well. I was watching a tomato pruning video last night. I’m going to try it. It’s supposed to cut down on disease and produce more fruit, but it sure makes for some ugly tomato plants. Tomatoes and cucumbers are so much better homegrown!

I got some dill and zinnia seed planted yesterday. I‘m planting zinnias amongst the veggies to attract pollinators and because I love that look. I’m planting dill seed every 2 weeks. And whoever mentioned squash reminded me I need to plant squash and zucchini. I got the seed potatoes cut up and started drying yesterday.

Kitty Tantrum

Woodpecker
Woman
I had the audacity to go out back earlier to mix some dirt.... without an apron on to keep my long dress contained.

A breeze billowed my hem out and made it scoop up AN ENTIRE CLUSTER OF TINY BABY SPIDERS that was stuck to a fabric planting pot.

HUNDREDS OF TINY BABY SPIDERS.

All over my dress.

I'm glad that I wear layers, and that nobody could see me. :oops:o_O:laughter:

Mrs.DanielH

Robin
Woman
Orthodox
I had the audacity to go out back earlier to mix some dirt.... without an apron on to keep my long dress contained.

A breeze billowed my hem out and made it scoop up AN ENTIRE CLUSTER OF TINY BABY SPIDERS that was stuck to a fabric planting pot.

All over my dress.

Omg I would freak out. I hate spiders! Earlier in the spring I had laundry drying on the line. I went to collect it and they were covered in tiny spiders! I beat the laundry outside then put it in the dryer.

Talus

Sparrow
Generally, rain water is much better for plants than tap water for its beneficial nutrient profile. It's ideal to collect rain water and use it to water indoor plants at least some of the time as well.
This has been my experience as well with starter plants that aren't deeply rooted. Tap water functions as a good sustainer, but when I give them rain water they really take off.

Mrs.DanielH

Robin
Woman
Orthodox
But updates on our garden. We have our first ripe strawberry! Blueberries are huge but not ripe yet. Everything else is growing rather well so far even though we seem to be in the middle of a drought.we had a great germination rate and now I'm feeling guilty about having to thin things out lol. Just more compost to feed the others I guess.

Lamkins

Woodpecker
Woman
Well, I’ve had my tomatoes in the ground for weeks and they’ve not grown at all. They haven’t died either. They’re just sitting there. It’s been extra chilly this spring, but for Pete’s sake, the green beans are growing. I’m perplexed and annoyed. I’m giving them one week then putting them in 5-gallon buckets in store bought potting medium.

Everything else is doing great.

Mrs.DanielH

Robin
Woman
Orthodox
Well, I’ve had my tomatoes in the ground for weeks and they’ve not grown at all. They haven’t died either. They’re just sitting there. It’s been extra chilly this spring, but for Pete’s sake, the green beans are growing. I’m perplexed and annoyed. I’m giving them one week then putting them in 5-gallon buckets in store bought potting medium.

Everything else is doing great.
Some of my tomatoes did the same thing. I had never experienced that before. My hypothesis for my tomatoes is that I either transplanted them too early or gave them too much time outside while it was still cold. Thankfully I planted wayyy too many of them and only the earliest transplants stunted. Some I waited another week or two and they're doing fine.

Lamkins

Woodpecker
Woman
Some of my tomatoes did the same thing. I had never experienced that before. My hypothesis for my tomatoes is that I either transplanted them too early or gave them too much time outside while it was still cold. Thankfully I planted wayyy too many of them and only the earliest transplants stunted. Some I waited another week or two and they're doing fine.

Really?! I’m glad to know this. I waited till our last average frost date was past, but it has been a very chilly spring. I might try starting more seed plus buying some plants.

Kitty Tantrum

Woodpecker
Woman
Where I live tomatoes ALWAYS do better in containers than in the ground. Last year my neighbor and I both planted tomatoes in spots with darn near identical conditions - if anything hers got more sun. But hers were in the ground and stayed fairly small, while mine were in individual containers above-ground and basically exploded.

Starlight

Woodpecker
Woman
That’s interesting about the variations in tomato growth. We bought a few different varieties of tomato starters that were all about 5 inches tall and they’re all planted near each other, same conditions. The Carmello is nearly four feet tall! Our Roma is about two feet and has about six tomatoes growing. The red bell pepper is about two feet but the jalapeño and poblano are barely a foot still ugh.

messaggera

Kingfisher
Woman

All over my dress.

Found these at a park yesterday.

spiders .jpg

Starlight

Woodpecker
Woman
Found these at a park yesterday.

View attachment 31153
There is only one kind of spider that doesn’t give me the heebie jeebies: black jumping spiders. Probably because they don’t really behave like normal spiders, all creepy and sinister. They just kind of mosey around and don’t just hide out waiting for a kill. They kill black widows and cockroaches. Not aggressive at all. They actually seem kind of happy and peaceful.

This little guy walked across the step just now
712E3AA4-6CC6-4845-9420-B912DFA198EF.jpeg
Happy as a clam, minding his own business, doesn’t mind the sunshine. The funny thing is sometimes they’ll kind of turn your way like they’re looking at you and then go along to wherever lol

Kitty Tantrum

Woodpecker
Woman
There is only one kind of spider that doesn’t give me the heebie jeebies: black jumping spiders. Probably because they don’t really behave like normal spiders, all creepy and sinister. They just kind of mosey around and don’t just hide out waiting for a kill. They kill black widows and cockroaches. Not aggressive at all. They actually seem kind of happy and peaceful.

This little guy walked across the step just now

Happy as a clam, minding his own business, doesn’t mind the sunshine. The funny thing is sometimes they’ll kind of turn your way like they’re looking at you and then go along to wherever lol
I love those. I've always thought they look cute and happy-go-lucky. I saw one today. :)

Starlight

Woodpecker
Woman
I love those. I've always thought they look cute and happy-go-lucky. I saw one today. :)
They’re all over our yard and garden which is good thing, in my opinion. I’ve seen a 3/4 inch beefy lady... Yowzah! We have a little play set for the kids in the yard and there is usually one hanging out there but they just watch the kids play. It’s kind of sweet and strange lol. I mean, you spend enough time watching them just to realize they’re watching you! After writing this, I’m kind of surprised how found I am of these little creatures lol

Kitty Tantrum

Woodpecker
Woman
Now that it's actually warm enough to spend time outside, I'm warming up to the idea of gardening. Not going to do anywhere near as much variety this year, but I picked up some tomato, bell pepper, and nasturtium starts. There are a bunch of things that survived from last year, too, even though I had decided to just let them die:

- leeks
- kale
- strawberries
- peppermint
- oregano
- catnip
- thyme
- some tiny little sage starts

I also found some volunteers:

- three tiny little nasturtium seedlings
- two unexpected strawberry starts
- maybe a handful of GARLIC plants (??? - I've never grown garlic)
- three or four WALNUT seedlings that turned up while I was tilling around the house (squirrels)
- MAYBE a volunteer tomato plant (my guess would be cherry tomato)

I also decided to commit to/invest in future gardening and ordered a compost tumbler. I grew up pile-composting so this will be interesting and different... but a lot easier to pick up and take with us when we move.

I also decided to go a little crazy and plant fifteen fabric pots of dwarf corn. I just got the pots yesterday and might need to scrounge up (or buy... sigh) some more dirt to fill them. I only planted a few last year, but they were one of my favorite things. So tiny and cute!

What I am definitely NOT planting this year: ANY kind of squash. Forget squash. If I want it I'll buy it.