Does anyone vegetable garden?

TexasJenn

Sparrow
Woman
Any advice on what to grow with the cucumbers to add to the pickles?

We have A LOT of garlic growing and will use that. Also thinking of growing some dill. All my experience with pickling was the week or so when I was a kid that I would get on the school bus each morning smelling like a pickle factory.
I love adding slices of onion and red jalapenos to the pickles, which are both pretty easy to grow, depending on your climate.

Kitty Tantrum

Woodpecker
Woman
Haha, it's raining again so I get away with not watering!

(I would feel really guilty if the potted blueberries and rhododendrons died.)

I have started dreaming about tomatoes, though. Might have to get some starts soon, because those DID grow really nicely last year. I could be pretty happy with just tomatoes. :blush:

TexasJenn

Sparrow
Woman
Generally, rain water is much better for plants than tap water for its beneficial nutrient profile. It's ideal to collect rain water and use it to water indoor plants at least some of the time as well. My mom has set up 3 large vessels outdoors to catch rain water for plants on the patio. I need to do the same.

My basil plant is lush and full. I'm thinking I'll make homemade pesto for Mother's Day. My mom loves my homemade pesto. It really is the bomb with all that sweet fresh basil.

Callixtus

Robin
I have two raised beds on my little patch of dirt. This year I planted tomatoes, a few types of peppers, green beans, broccoli, cucumber, zucchini and catnip. My toms and zukes go crazy each year, less so for the peppers, and the beans broc and cukes do okay. Catnip is a new one for me, we'll see how the cat likes it.

Lamkins

Woodpecker
Woman
I’ve put housework on hold for a couple of weeks to get all the outdoor stuff finished. It takes me forever because I poop out so quickly. I have memories of seeing my grandmother doing yard work and dragging her shovel full of dirt behind her. I do the same thing, lol.

I envy those of you who can grow tomatoes well. I was watching a tomato pruning video last night. I’m going to try it. It’s supposed to cut down on disease and produce more fruit, but it sure makes for some ugly tomato plants. Tomatoes and cucumbers are so much better homegrown!

I got some dill and zinnia seed planted yesterday. I‘m planting zinnias amongst the veggies to attract pollinators and because I love that look. I’m planting dill seed every 2 weeks. And whoever mentioned squash reminded me I need to plant squash and zucchini. I got the seed potatoes cut up and started drying yesterday.