Does anyone vegetable garden?

Lamkins

Woodpecker
Woman
I think I solved my not-growing-but-not-dying tomato issue. Before I planted this area I used Roundup to kill the grass. I waited several days past the safe planting time to plant, but I still suspect it’s the Roundup. So, I’ve dug the tomatoes up and potted in buckets in a nice potting mix. I’ve many times planted stuff after using Roundup and had no issues, so I’m not 100% certain it’s the problem.

Last week the neighbor dog had a fun time clomping around the raised beds. She did some digging too. What’s next for my garden? Will my hose water turn to blood? A plague of frogs? Am I about to develop boils?!

NoMoreTO

Hummingbird
I've got a garden going in an old greenhouse foundation. It's pretty rough but growing.

So far I'm having best success with Peas & Corn.

Also have some tomato plants, peppers on the go. Beans, Carrotts, spinach, herbs.

It's a welcome break from our lockdown life. A connection to life itself, and our true roles in this world as established by our creator.

Aloha50

Sparrow
I highly recommend the gardening documentary 'Back to Eden' which can be seen on YouTube. About a Christian man who after asking God for help in his vegetable garden took what he felt God was telling him and put it into practice. The results speak for themselves.

Lamkins

Woodpecker
Woman
I highly recommend the gardening documentary 'Back to Eden' which can be seen on YouTube. About a Christian man who after asking God for help in his vegetable garden took what he felt God was telling him and put it into practice. The results speak for themselves.

That sounds really interesting. I’ll be watching it tonight.

Mrs.DanielH

Robin
Woman
Orthodox
Our garden is out of control this year. All the plants are monstrous. I pruned back the zucchini two days ago and now they have grown right back. We have some pest eating the end of some zucchinis though, which I've never had happen before. Anyone know what they could be or how to stop them? I've tried opening them up but I don't find any worms or anything. Maybe it's rot? Idk. I'm thinking about just removing one of the plants altogether because it's blocking some sun to my beans. The tomato plants are also huge, and i don't know what we are going to do with all the tomatoes once they get ripe.

Starlight

Kingfisher
Woman
Our garden is out of control this year. All the plants are monstrous. I pruned back the zucchini two days ago and now they have grown right back. We have some pest eating the end of some zucchinis though, which I've never had happen before. Anyone know what they could be or how to stop them? I've tried opening them up but I don't find any worms or anything. Maybe it's rot? Idk. I'm thinking about just removing one of the plants altogether because it's blocking some sun to my beans. The tomato plants are also huge, and i don't know what we are going to do with all the tomatoes once they get ripe.
We decided to remove our zucchini plant altogether because it was growing out of control. We really should’ve planted it in a spot where it could just “grow free” lol. We did have an issue with white flies and aphids on all our vegetable plants for a bit then we started using an essential oil pest repellent and also bought a Praying Mantis egg sack. The baby praying mantis’ did a great job cleaning up the white flies and other pests but I think the majority of the mantis’ got eaten up by birds… We did have one that was about half an inch and a beautiful electric blue. I’ll have to take a closer look to see if there are any left. Poor little guys.

Also, sweet story from a bit ago, we had a baby fledgling bird that had fallen from its nest hunker down in our garden for about a week. It was sooo amazing to see the parent birds come feed it and be so attentive. What a beautiful bit of God’s creation to be able to witness from my very own kitchen window.

Last edited:

Laner

Hummingbird
Gold Member
Our garden is going big this year. We had a bit of a setback with the heat wave last week and lost a dozen cucumbers. I had planned for it a bit and had 3 that I took inside with me over the worst of it. I put them back in the garden a few days ago and they took right off again.

We are trying cantaloupe this year and planted some sunflowers to help attract the bees for the melons. Kale is a harvest about every three days right now! Love those plants.

My son's potato garden seems to be laying down already so looks like a pretty early harvest this year. Onions are all over the place. Heirloom is strange like that. Our forest garden onions are especially different in size. The raised planter bed onions are giant. We also did carrots in the raised planter beds and what a difference. They are massive.

Our asparagus are frustrating. Those really don't like doing much. But just when you think they are not doing anything, another little one pokes up. Its year one for us though, from crowns, so we will hopefully see results next year.

We harvested our garlic on Canada day which was great. We have about 60 bulbs and almost all of them are nice size with a dozen that are quite large. We will keep those for planting in the fall. Those early season harvests are a great way to keep the kids motivated and get them back into the game.

Its our first year or raspberries so we didn't expect much, but one plant has about a dozen nice little berries growing in, and another has just a few. None of the other plants flowered, but they are growing big and fast. The blackberries have gone absolutely insane. We experimented a bunch last year with pruning them and I think we will double our harvest this summer! I was hoping for 25 gallons and we actually could get it.
We will fire up the still and make a whole bunch of blackberry liqueur for our end of summer farm party.

I've got a garden going in an old greenhouse foundation. It's pretty rough but growing.

So far I'm having best success with Peas & Corn.

Also have some tomato plants, peppers on the go. Beans, Carrotts, spinach, herbs.

It's a welcome break from our lockdown life. A connection to life itself, and our true roles in this world as established by our creator.

I was chatting with my wife and son about this last night at dinner. I said how that day has been about as wonderful a day as I could imagine. It was a work day, but I got lots done while still able to spend time in the garden and forest with them. Walking among the life that we encourage and love. Holding hands as a family and just enjoying the fruits of our labour aware of God's, so much that the sight of a little hummingbird checking in on how our hot lips sage is doing, brought sheer excitement and joy.

Lamkins

Woodpecker
Woman
I too am suffering from a giant zucchini plant, lol. Once I put my Roundup stunted tomatoes in buckets with good soil they took off. I harvested the last of the lettuce last week. Also, last week hubby came in and told me there was a green worm on my jalapeño plants. Tomato hornworms everywhere!!!! Ugh, they’re so gross. I cut them in half with the garden scissors. Today I’ve been stalking the beetle that causes bacterial wilt in cucumbers. I saw it earlier but didn’t kill it because I didn’t recognize it.

Kitty Tantrum

Woodpecker
Woman
Feeling pretty good about not planting squash this year. :cool:

I'm visiting my sister for a bit, should be neat to see how big things are when I get home! My husband sent me a picture of some fairly hefty green tomatoes on one of the tomato plants. It should be a good year for tomatoes in the PNW.

TexasJenn

Woodpecker
Woman
So far I've gotten a few dozen figs off my fig tree this year. I planted the tree as a baby two years ago when I bought this house. It's only about 4 feet tall - but a foot taller than last year, and quite a bit broader in branch span. I've learned to pick them just before they're perfectly ripe, then let them ripen indoors - gives me more to enjoy before the critters do.

I'm also using my herb garden a lot - fresh herbs for cooking, and fresh spearmint for tea that is just so refreshing and tasty.

DanielaEverheart

Sparrow
Woman
I'm also using my herb garden a lot - fresh herbs for cooking, and fresh spearmint for tea that is just so refreshing and tasty.
I also have the possibility of fresh mint tea thanks to God. The maid (Nieves), who helps cleaning&laundry&cooking also has a Green thumb as well... I feel a bit jealous about it but will learn... I feel like God may be telling me to take on the same work load she has in order to give me th
ose Blessings.

I feel joyful about the fig tree giving fruit, that's so symbolic and Biblical, TexasJenn! I do want that in my garden...

Please don't cut worms in half everyone, that aids the culture of Death

Last edited:

Mrs.DanielH

Robin
Woman
Orthodox
I was able to do HEAVY pruning of my zucchinis to save space and prevent the end rot, which apparently is caused by them not getting pollinated. I did have to pull out two squash plants. Some beautiful green silk worms ate all my kale. But now I know to harvest them earlier. We have some tiny cucumbers growing and we have already harvested some peas and cherry tomatoes. Our jalapenos and yellow hot peppers are doing great but the bell peppers are not doing so hot because I don't think they got enough good soil. We will see how it goes, but so far I'm fairly satisfied.

Lamkins

Woodpecker
Woman
I pruned my zucchini based on Mrs. DanielH’s post above along with picking a couple more zucchini. We have tomatoes everywhere, all green. This evening I discovered a huge….baseball bat thick…..cuc hiding in the leaves. It had a lot of seeds, but the flesh was delicious, not bitter at all. Hopefully the plant now starts flowering. I also harvested a lemon cuc. It was very mild. Not much cuc flavor. I doubt I’ll grow again. It’s an heirloom that’s about the size and shape of a lemon and pale yellow.

Gracie

Sparrow
Woman
I'm so far behind you all but I'm 6b and a late plant since we moved. BUT - I'm seeing zucchini that's probably a week away (I may be overestimating) and cherry tomatoes green on the vine. So it is beginning. I've had a nettle harvest (a wonderful surprise in the new garden), and we've picked a handful of strawberries that the littlest one has been devouring. :)

Grow Bag

Pelican
So far this year I've had potatoes, swiss chard, kale, carrots, runner beans and a few french beans on my plate. The sprouting broccoli is doing very well too, now it's all covered with fine netting. Should get a good crop from those come February. I've yet to come across any road kill this year, which is a shame. A nice plump roast pheasant with my runners and spuds would be a treat. All in all, not bad for my second year and what therapy it's been to have a garden to take my mind off things. I even say my morning prayers in the greenhouse.

IconWriter

Sparrow
Woman
Orthodox
I got so tired of the wildlife chowing down on my potted veggies that one summer I put the pots up on our second story deck. One morning I puzzled over the fact they were STILL being eaten! Mystery solved the next day. A ground hog was actually climbing our deck steps to reach his "salad bar"!

Maddox

Woodpecker
I'm worried about food shortages and want to prepare for this by growing a garden on my balcony.

If I eat 7 salads a week, is it possible to grow enough spinach on a 10 x 3 balcony to sustain you in times of food shortages where you can't buy these items at the store?