Dyspraxia thread

My nephew was diagnosed with it as a child. He's 20 now. Anyway, as I recall, he took speech therapy at around 3 years old and my sister was advised to enroll him in piano lessons early, as that would excercise/ focus on that part of the brain and act as a therapy. Something about developing his ability to subconsciously plan motor activities like talking and fine motor skills. He's good now; a well rounded young man, and was way above average in school.

My daughter required speech therapy to push her to start talking too, and reminds us of how he was at her age... we all say she's a female version of him. My nephew was given every vaccine on the list at the time. My daughter has never had a shot, so I think it's either genetic or something else, at least in our case.

Last edited:
My nephew was diagnosed with it as a child. He's 20 now. Anyway, as I recall, he took speech therapy at around 3 years old and my sister was advised to enroll him in piano lessons early, as that would excercise/ focus on that part of the brain and act as a therapy. Something about developing his ability to subconsciously plan motor activities like talking and fine motor skills. He's good now; a well rounded young man, and was way above average in school.

My daughter required speech therapy to push her to start talking too, and reminds us of how he was at her age... we all say she's a female version of him. My nephew was given every vaccine on the list at the time. My daughter has never had a shot, so I think it's either genetic or something else, at least in our case.
Interesting, thanks for your reply.

This is a good question.

I myself was diagnosed with dyspraxia when I was 4 years old. I had trouble pronouncing certain words, kept jumbling the order of words in sentences and even pausing/stuttering on my speech.

Also, I had co-ordination skill issues too. Mild, although noticeable. I was fortunate to be given therapy in both speech and co-ordination skills that today it's hardly noticeable exempt to those who have been around me for a long time. I also did martial arts throughout my childhood and teens which allowed me to gain strength and balance in my everyday actions. As an adult, going to the gym, doing yoga (I know its frowned upon here but I need it every so often), walks and scrambling have kept it in check.

The only downside is that people who pay attention to my actions know that there is a deliberate order/planning to do certain tasks. This makes sense as I still have to plan in my head and think about my actions to even simple house tasks or driving as if I don't do it, it feels like an odd paralysis or carelessness when conducting them.

I was given standard UK vaccinations when I was younger. There is a chance it could have been a vaccine, however I can't prove or disprove if it's that or genetic.