Eating at restaurants with woke employees

kel

Pelican
I've been all over France and I've never found anywhere where you'll get a steak dinner for two for $40. There's no way what they gave you came from a steer for that price. Europe is generally quite a bit more expensive, food-wise, than the US. Most of Asia and the Middle East not so much, but in the many years I spent living and traveling in Europe I was always disappointed at how expensive the food was especially for the middling quality. Even in Eastern Europe where things are cheaper the food was cheaper but not proportionately cheaper. One of nicer parts of being back in the US is the higher quality of affordable food, IMO. Sure, you can get utter shit in the US - fast food or whatever - but I've never found anywhere with higher quality:availability:price ratio for food than the US.

Johnny Rico

Sparrow
I've been all over France and I've never found anywhere where you'll get a steak dinner for two for $40. There's no way what they gave you came from a steer for that price. Europe is generally quite a bit more expensive, food-wise, than the US. Most of Asia and the Middle East not so much, but in the many years I spent living and traveling in Europe I was always disappointed at how expensive the food was especially for the middling quality. Even in Eastern Europe where things are cheaper the food was cheaper but not proportionately cheaper. One of nicer parts of being back in the US is the higher quality of affordable food, IMO. Sure, you can get utter shit in the US - fast food or whatever - but I've never found anywhere with higher quality:availability:price ratio for food than the US.
The meal I had was eating solo in Caen, France which is less expensive than Paris. I had a steak and salad, bread with a small order of pate, a glass or two of wine and an espresso and I paid around 20-25 euro. It wasn't a fancy place it was in a old basement that had been there for centuries but the food was great. Then I went back to America and got a hocky puck of a steak from an Applebee's freezer and a couple of beers to help get it down and paid the same price plus a tip.

hkhathaj

Pigeon
When I was younger and stupid I have also ate Doner at the Turkish places. I consider that a mistake and I would never again do that. Here in Hungary the places run by Hungarians do not seem to be woke at all so I consider them safe.

There may be a few woke places in the inner parts of Budapest. I don't usually visit them. But when I have to then I can very well cloak myself as a liberal. As long as people don't know me personally I am safe from woke attacks.

questor70

Ostrich
The curtailing of restaurant dining is one white pill of the coronavirus paranoia.
From a money management perspective probably the #1 money waster is dining out, especially if alcohol is involved. Unfortunately that's also part of the social ritual of dating.

But if you look into any of those early retirement life plans the #1 thing they will tell you to do is never eat out.

Thomas More

Hummingbird
When I was younger and stupid I have also ate Doner at the Turkish places. I consider that a mistake and I would never again do that. Here in Hungary the places run by Hungarians do not seem to be woke at all so I consider them safe.

There may be a few woke places in the inner parts of Budapest. I don't usually visit them. But when I have to then I can very well cloak myself as a liberal. As long as people don't know me personally I am safe from woke attacks.
Those Doner places freak me out. It looks to me like the meat sits in the display case all day long, and probably is left there overnight with the heat lamp turned off. I love the taste of middle eastern food, but those Doner places do not look like they practice food safety. I never even thought of the problem of them spitting in it or worse. Just seeing it sit out all day puts me off.

From a money management perspective probably the #1 money waster is dining out, especially if alcohol is involved. Unfortunately that's also part of the social ritual of dating.

But if you look into any of those early retirement life plans the #1 thing they will tell you to do is never eat out.
I wonder if that's just a European thing and some parts of America thing. In Asia and parts of Texas for example eating out is very cheap.

Unfortunately when I was in Budapest that was often my go-to since it was so much cheaper than any other meat option...

Johnny Rico

Sparrow

I no longer do restaurant/bar dates. Not just because of the COVID nonsense but because they're dumb. Most girls go on several dates a week and EVERY guy out there is doing it. The dates are all the same. Where are you from, what do you do, whats your favorite color blah blah. They all run together for the girl and its boring to them. Try something unique... like a bottle of wine and cheese/crackers in a park with other people around. You'll save money and you might get the second date.

Last edited:

Jaszczurka

Sparrow
I no longer do restaurant/bar dates. Not just because of the COVID nonsense but because they're dumb. Most girls go on several dates a week and EVERY guy out there is doing it. The dates are all the same. Where are you from, what do you do, whats your favorite color blah blah. They all run together for the girl and its boring to them. Try something unique... like a bottle of wine and cheese/crackers in a park with other people around. You'll save money and you might get the second date.
Hello Johnny Rico (great pseudonym!). Anyhoo, I found this out early as well. In general, if Betas were doing it, I tried as hard as I could to do something else. It's like buying women drinks.

I had a fun exchange with a plain looking American woman who shit tested me when she said: "I'd like to go out to an expensive restaurant". I replied sure, but she'd pay for it.

Hello Johnny Rico (great pseudonym!). Anyhoo, I found this out early as well. In general, if Betas were doing it, I tried as hard as I could to do something else. It's like buying women drinks.

I had a fun exchange with a plain looking American woman who shit tested me when she said: "I'd like to go out to an expensive restaurant". I replied sure, but she'd pay for it.
I don't understand. Why would (middle class)betas pay for dates in expensive restaurants for themselves, let alone for a girl they hardly know? Do they have that much money to spare?

Hell_Is_Like_Newark

Kingfisher
Gold Member
I have no use for bars and restaurants anymore. In the US/West at least. It is far too dangerous and I'm not muzzling myself and obeying senseless rules. The local ocean side bar/restaurant with overpriced food is charging over $20 for a basket of clam strips now, you have to muzzle to and from your table, and you have 45 minutes to scarf it down before they kick you out. No thanks.

The upside is my cooking skills are rapidly improving. Cooking Thai food nearly ever day, eating farm fresh eggs and bacon for breakfast, and found an awesome and easy Hungarian stew I will link below.

Printed out the recipe. Heading to the butcher on Friday to make that over the weekend.

Jaszczurka

Sparrow
I don't understand. Why would (middle class)betas pay for dates in expensive restaurants for themselves, let alone for a girl they hardly know? Do they have that much money to spare?
Hehehehe. I'll jump on this. There are multiple reasons but one of the most common is they're shamed/negged into thinking they're losers if they don't. Heck, one of the more recent shaming ploys is women criticizing men who, gasp, use a coupon. It should be none of her business how a guy pays for something, but the point is to get the man to demonstrate his "provider" (ATM machine) credentials in front of her. The whole point of the display is that he has "money to spare".

And yet, of course, there are alphas who truly are like this: Perhaps they do have high 6 figured salaries, a home/car paid off, so going out to an expensive restaurant twice a week is NOT a big deal. But then again, if he did this for years then why isn't he married yet to some damsel who falls in love with a guy like that?

pitbullowner

Kingfisher
I'm told the barista gave me a very angry look on the way out.
haha. screw that noise then :)

I am under the impression that the people in the city 1.5 hours west of me a local pizza parlor that's only got 2 restaurants has employees that almost want to openly embrace it. You can tell by their weird hipster lookin tats/haircuts and style. whenever i get that vibe just from being a "judgmental asshole" .
I refuse to throw my hard earned shekels their way. I mean, I'm starting to realize how bad it's getting now.

But 9x outta 10 I guarantee I'm right...Mind you this instinct of noticing (((wokeness))) abound in the nearest city of me is gonna keep me from getting food poisonin', or spit in my food, or God knows what else they'll do to it.

SlickyBoy

Ostrich
Years ago I watched the movie "Waiting" which is a comedy about a bunch of young people who work in a restaurant. It has a lot of sick humor, and I liked the movie at the time, though it definitely has some gross parts. I was recommended it by a friend who was a waiter and several other waiter friends told me it was highly accurate. I definitely cut back on eating out for a year or two after watching the film.
Ok, just caught the trailer for it and have to admit it's got some relatable parts for someone who's worked in restaurants. Not sure I want to put money in some Hollywood asshole's pocket to watch it, but it definitely brought back some memories. Surprised I missed it back in 2005.

Gimlet

Woodpecker
I hope you enjoy it! It's my favorite dish I've made at home and in my area it comes to around $3-4 a serving. Be sure to get high quality Hungarian paprika though. Amazon sells it and any spice store will have it.
I made it on Saturday after receiving the recommended paprika from Amazon. Delicious, dirt cheap and easy to remember. It will be made again. Thanks for the tip.

bmw633

Sparrow
My observation over the years is that fast food and restaurant workers who prepare the food aren't exactly the sharpest knives in the drawer. Usually, the more presentable ones interact with customers. If the wait staff looks unkept/dirty, imagine what the ones behind the door look like.......

Salinger

Woodpecker
Really? Most beef dishes you'd order at your US chain restaurants are not grass-fed. And if you order salmon, I guarantee you it is the poisonous, farmed Atlantic salmon instead of wild salmon from Alaska.

Not to mention that the prices keep going up every year. I find it hard to believe that your value here is higher than what you'd find at a restaurant in a European country.