Eating at restaurants with woke employees

eradicator

Peacock
Gold Member
The meal I had was eating solo in Caen, France which is less expensive than Paris. I had a steak and salad, bread with a small order of pate, a glass or two of wine and an espresso and I paid around 20-25 euro. It wasn't a fancy place it was in a old basement that had been there for centuries but the food was great. Then I went back to America and got a hocky puck of a steak from an Applebee's freezer and a couple of beers to help get it down and paid the same price plus a tip.
Sheesh post their name I’ll go thee the next time I’m in France

Max Roscoe

Woodpecker
I had a similar experience at a restaurant in Florence, Italy.
The host at our B&B recommended the place. It is walkable from all the major tourist attractions but off the beaten path. You basically just walk 3 blocks and cross this bridge, and everyone on the other side is locals, and all the tourists remain right around the Duomo.

The restaurant was in the basement of a building. Far in the back I could see a giant fire and this chef hacking at a wild boar with a machete. They had no menus, just wrote some things down on the butcher paper (it was a "nice" restaurant though, kind of like eating in an upscale medieval restaurant, not a hole in the wall) and then brought out delicious food and wine. I can't remember the prices but very affordable.

As a general rule, food quality is much higher in Europe. Over the last decade, things have changed in the US where one can often special order organic foods and better cuts of meat, etc, but all the general grocery stuff (and almost all the restaurant stuff) is low quality, factory farmed stuff. Whole Foods was probably the first chain that offered it, and now we have many doing the same thing.

I took a cooking class in Tuscany, and they stressed that the key to good food is simplicity, and high quality ingredients. I guess Papa John must have visited there before and ripped off their motto. Better Ingredients, Better Pizza. (FYI PJ used frozen pre-grated cheese when I worked there)

Hehehehe. I'll jump on this. There are multiple reasons but one of the most common is they're shamed/negged into thinking they're losers if they don't. Heck, one of the more recent shaming ploys is women criticizing men who, gasp, use a coupon. It should be none of her business how a guy pays for something, but the point is to get the man to demonstrate his "provider" (ATM machine) credentials in front of her. The whole point of the display is that he has "money to spare".

And yet, of course, there are alphas who truly are like this: Perhaps they do have high 6 figured salaries, a home/car paid off, so going out to an expensive restaurant twice a week is NOT a big deal. But then again, if he did this for years then why isn't he married yet to some damsel who falls in love with a guy like that?
Interesting to hear that perspective. I assume American.

The follow up question is, do they have that much money to spare that losing it is worth it to not be thought of as a loser? I think being a loser is great! But I am very sigma after all.

Edit: Thinking about it, maybe they very rarely go on dates. So it can be thought of as a worthwhile "one off" splurge. But if they genuinely cannot afford to do it regularly, it must be a huge tell they don't go on dates. So it shouldn't really be done on girls they barely know

Johnny Rico

Sparrow
The main reason to eat out isn't so much to spend money but the perceived safety of meeting someone in a neutral public space. Having them come to your house or vice versa makes them feel much more vulnerable.
Yes I wouldn't never invite a woman to my house for a first date. But going to a park, the beach, mini golf or an arcade is public. It breaks her usual boring serial date routine.

Easy_C

Crow
A: The further left one gets the exponentially more likely one is to report a mental illness diagnosis.

B: Compounding A, a lot of them missed a few refills of their prescriptions due to lockdowns.

C: As if that wasn’t enough, this is the crowd most scared of COVID so a lot of them literally sat at home alone in their apartments for two months. For most humans four months of isolation is enough to induce erratic behavior so imagine what 8 weeks would do to someone who was already unstable to begin with.

Side point: keep in mind it’s just the useful idiots who get arrested. The organizers will be camping out somewhere nearby relaying instructions to the smarter useful idiots in the crowd. Some reports indicate the actual organizers tend to look like ex cons and/or have that “Fed” look.

La Águila Negra

Kingfisher
When I was younger and stupid I have also ate Doner at the Turkish places. I consider that a mistake and I would never again do that. Here in Hungary the places run by Hungarians do not seem to be woke at all so I consider them safe.
In the Netherlands a couple of years ago the national institute for food safety and quality had found ample traces of semen in the garlic sauce in many of those kebab joints

It led to the closure of quite a few of them

It's also widely known that many of these shady operators use spoilt meat for their kebab rolls.. At night at least

Spoilt (or even rotten meat) at night and 'proper' meat during the day. The drunk and often coked up party goers won't taste the difference anyway

The meat roll companies also, as has been proven through sampling by the same institution that goes about food safety and quality, add pork to the meat rolls (which is really just garbage leftover meat pressed together)

Pork is much cheaper than lamb or goat meat. The Muslims weren't to happy hearing this obviously. Which is ironic because many in the kebab industry are Turks

Would not recommend.

Salinger

Woodpecker
BTW, not all of these mom-and-pop places in the US cook from scratch. I knew of a small Italian restaurant run by a couple that I would often frequent to get a drink. I never bothered to order food as their prices were pretty high and I don't like eating out. Anyhow, I noticed they never had much of a crowd. I always thought this was strange as the interior was quite nice and it looked like a nice romantic spot to take a date.

Well, it wasn't long before they closed. Soon after, I heard from one of the servers who worked there that they didn't even have an oven. Everything on the menu was bought pre-made. They simply nuked them in the microwave before taking them out.

Another occupant of the shallow end of the gene pool providing signature service to the police:

The TLDR version is they charge him with "disorderly conduct and battery to a peace officer" I don't even think that's a felony.

Dunkin' Donuts employee arrested after cop finds 'large, thick piece of mucus' in his coffee

A Dunkin’ Donuts employee has been arrested after a police officer found a “large, thick piece of mucus which was later confirmed to be saliva” in his coffee.

The incident occurred at approximately 10:20 p.m. on July 30 when an Illinois State Police (ISP) District Chicago Trooper bought a large black coffee from a Dunkin’ Donuts establishment located on Archer Avenue in Chicago, Illinois.

“Due to the coffee being extremely hot, the Trooper removed the lid from the top of the cup to cool it down,” the Illinois State Police said in a statement.

It was then that the officer noticed the mucus and saliva floating inside his coffee cup.

The ISP immediately began an investigation into the incident which culminated just a couple of hours later with the arrest of 25-year-old Dunkin’ Donuts employee Vincent J. Sessler.

Sessler was taken into custody without incident by the ISP District Chicago Troopers and has been charged with Disorderly Conduct and Battery to a Peace Officer.

ISP Director Brendan F. Kelly issued a stern statement about the incident.

“This is outrageous and disgusting,” said Kelly. “The men and women of the Illinois State Police put their heart and soul into protecting the lives and rights of all people in this state every day. They deserve better than this insulting and dangerous treatment.”

Kelly also said that ISP officers and employees will now be prohibited from patronizing that Dunkin’ Donuts location for their own safety.

Sessler currently remains in custody at the Chicago Police Department’s 8th District while the investigation continues.
Our artisic Chicago barista:

1596380032522.png

Enigma

Hummingbird
Gold Member
Regarding the movie Waiting, while there's definitely some truth to the movie, in my experience, it's extremely exaggerated for effect.

I worked in that industry for years at more than half a dozen restaurants, from major chains to small nationally-acclaimed restaurants to high-end spots where the service staff wore dinner jackets and ties. Obviously I know a lot of people in the industry too.

And I've personally never seen anyone actually mess with the food, nor do I recall hearing of anyone messing with food. Now, there are certainly times when the food is less than fresh, and in general, the quality of ingredients at many chains is barely even real food.

But again, tampering with food is much more rare, and it's certainly not done right in the middle of the kitchen.

A few things to keep in mind:

1. If you don't like anything about your food or your experience in the restaurant, the waiter doesn't get paid -- or gets paid less. This is why, first and foremost, you should be decent to your waiter.

2. If there's something wrong with your food, the manager has to go out and deal with it, which usually includes some form of grovelling, comping items, etc. Most managers have no desire to deal with angry customers on a regular basis, and they don't want to deal with wasted food either.

3. If there's something wrong with your food, the cooks have to remake it. This is just more hassle for them.

4. There are people in and out of the kitchen constantly. Either everyone would have to be in on the food tampering, including waiters, cooks, and managers, or it only takes one of those people (or cameras) to see it happening and make it an issue.

While most people working in restaurants dislike their jobs, they typically want to avoid: 1) getting fired; and, 2) making more work for themselves. Even in the shittier restaurants I worked at, most of the staff had been there for years.

Basically the "joke" of Waiting is that it's just an absolutely terrible restaurant, where everyone is the worst exaggeration of restaurant staff possible. Again, there are definitely elements of truth, but it's really cranked up to 11 and 90% of that stuff doesn't actually happen like that. For example, them showing each other their balls was a much exaggerated version of the "Circle Game", where you get someone to look at your hand when it's below your waist.

On the other hand, I have no doubt that it happens in fast food chains. Because the pay is lower, the job requirements are lower, there's less supervision, etc. That's where you find the real low down degenerates, like Cr33pin.

With all that said, I would not personally eat at places like Applebee's, because the food is just overpriced trash. And I can't stand Starbucks, which is also overpriced trash. And lastly, the "woke" crowd is so insane that I wouldn't put anything past them.

However, in my experience, I don't remember much progressive nonsense when I worked in restaurants. I'm sure plenty of them were liberals, but it didn't really come up much. Also, waiters tend to be racist because black (and Asian and Indian) people don't tip.

Veloce

Crow
Gold Member
Restaurants like these are a dime-a-dozen in Europe, just gotta get out of the city.

Especially at lunch, there's typically a pre-fixe menu, 3 courses of simple but good food for like 15-30E depending on what you're getting and how fancy the place is. You can eat very well for cheap in most European countries.

Regarding the movie Waiting, while there's definitely some truth to the movie, in my experience, it's extremely exaggerated for effect.

I worked in that industry for years at more than half a dozen restaurants, from major chains to small nationally-acclaimed restaurants to high-end spots where the service staff wore dinner jackets and ties. Obviously I know a lot of people in the industry too.

And I've personally never seen anyone actually mess with the food, nor do I recall hearing of anyone messing with food. Now, there are certainly times when the food is less than fresh, and in general, the quality of ingredients at many chains is barely even real food.

But again, tampering with food is much more rare, and it's certainly not done right in the middle of the kitchen.

A few things to keep in mind:

1. If you don't like anything about your food or your experience in the restaurant, the waiter doesn't get paid -- or gets paid less. This is why, first and foremost, you should be decent to your waiter.

2. If there's something wrong with your food, the manager has to go out and deal with it, which usually includes some form of grovelling, comping items, etc. Most managers have no desire to deal with angry customers on a regular basis, and they don't want to deal with wasted food either.

3. If there's something wrong with your food, the cooks have to remake it. This is just more hassle for them.

4. There are people in and out of the kitchen constantly. Either everyone would have to be in on the food tampering, including waiters, cooks, and managers, or it only takes one of those people (or cameras) to see it happening and make it an issue.

While most people working in restaurants dislike their jobs, they typically want to avoid: 1) getting fired; and, 2) making more work for themselves. Even in the shittier restaurants I worked at, most of the staff had been there for years.

Basically the "joke" of Waiting is that it's just an absolutely terrible restaurant, where everyone is the worst exaggeration of restaurant staff possible. Again, there are definitely elements of truth, but it's really cranked up to 11 and 90% of that stuff doesn't actually happen like that. For example, them showing each other their balls was a much exaggerated version of the "Circle Game", where you get someone to look at your hand when it's below your waist.

On the other hand, I have no doubt that it happens in fast food chains. Because the pay is lower, the job requirements are lower, there's less supervision, etc. That's where you find the real low down degenerates, like Cr33pin.

With all that said, I would not personally eat at places like Applebee's, because the food is just overpriced trash. And I can't stand Starbucks, which is also overpriced trash. And lastly, the "woke" crowd is so insane that I wouldn't put anything past them.

However, in my experience, I don't remember much progressive nonsense when I worked in restaurants. I'm sure plenty of them were liberals, but it didn't really come up much. Also, waiters tend to be racist because black (and Asian and Indian) people don't tip.
I always thought exactly what you said to be more realistic. That it’s amplified for more comedic effect. But how much of that was changed after the movie? That’s why I hate the movie so much. Although funny, how many ideas did it give idiot kids that once had respect for food handling. I’m sure there were always bad apples, but I still believe deep down it opened a can of worms for tampering.

Enigma

Hummingbird
Gold Member
I always thought exactly what you said to be more realistic. That it’s amplified for more comedic effect. But how much of that was changed after the movie? That’s why I hate the movie so much. Although funny, how many ideas did it give idiot kids that once had respect for food handling. I’m sure there were always bad apples, but I still believe deep down it opened a can of worms for tampering.
I didn't start working in restaurants until a few years after that movie came out and continued working there for a few years after that and didn't notice any change.

Now, it could happen more in other places, I don't know, but if it were really that common, people that work in restaurants wouldn't eat in restaurants. But in my experience, people that work in restaurants often eat at restaurants (and bars) more than other people.