Eating at restaurants with woke employees

I didn't start working in restaurants until a few years after that movie came out and continued working there for a few years after that and didn't notice any change.

Now, it could happen more in other places, I don't know, but if it were really that common, people that work in restaurants wouldn't eat in restaurants. But in my experience, people that work in restaurants often eat at restaurants (and bars) more than other people.
Good to know! My favorite thing to do up until this year was checking out different restaurants. I was always a little paranoid and tried my best not to be difficult. I recently got a pellet smoker/grill and have been spending my weekends smoking stuff from home. I’m staying out of the cities and learning how to BBQ!

Related restaurant question. I gave up all soft drinks for a couple years, so it seemed every time I ordered water it seemed the service wasn’t as good. Am I crazy to think by ordering water I come off as cheap and I’ll tip poorly? I’ve since went back to ordering regular drinks and I feel service is better? Maybe it was all in my head?

Garuda

Woodpecker
Related restaurant question. I gave up all soft drinks for a couple years, so it seemed every time I ordered water it seemed the service wasn’t as good. Am I crazy to think by ordering water I come off as cheap and I’ll tip poorly? I’ve since went back to ordering regular drinks and I feel service is better? Maybe it was all in my head?
Your intuition was probably correct since ordering drinks means a larger tip for your waitress. Plus, in some restaurants, the staff will set a team goal of selling so many drinks, appetizers or etc. in a certain amount of time for prizes. So if it's a slow week, you might unknowingly upset them.

Enigma

Hummingbird
Gold Member
They may not necessarily think you're going to tip poorly, but most people tip based on a percentage of their bill, so as a single guy drinking water, your bill is going to be relatively small.

For example, if you figure $20 a head and a 20% tip, they'll make $4 off a table of one, $8 off a table of two, and $16 off a table of four. And usually, they're not doing 2x to 4x more work for those larger tables. They'll end up going to each table roughly the same number of times.

Plus, the smaller the bill, the less the tip percentage makes a difference. If you tip 10% on $20, that's $2. If you tip 30%, that's $6. In other words, even the 20% difference between a below average tip and an above average tip is only $4. With the four-top and an $80 bill, every percentage point is nearly a dollar. And the difference between a 10% and 30% tip there is $16 ($8 vs. $24).

So, basically, they have a lot more incentive to give the best service possible for the chance at the best tip possible.

That's the logic behind it. But of course, it's still pretty annoying if you're the one being served.

One way around this is to sit at the bar, if you can. As long as it's not packed, the bartender usually won't have a problem with you eating at the bar without drinking, and they're more used to smaller parties/bills. Plus, they're standing right there anyways, so you can just get their attention if you need something.