Economic effects of the Russo-Ukrainian War

IM3000

Pelican

If this persists, Germany is done and by extension, so is the EU. It's leading economy is talking about rationing gas. The clown of minister of economy is encouraging the Germans to take shorter showers (honk honk).

Scholz, Habeck et al seem to be hellbent on destroying the nation's prosperity and the most astonishing part is that a lot of the Germans seem to be fine with it. Well, I guess until the living room stays cold, BASF has to close production and you have rampant unemployment. Then maybe they start to realize that putting a philosopher and kid's book author at the helm of their economy wasn't the best move. Pathetic.

Already now you can see the tears in Germany's social fabric. If the situation escalates further (which it likely will), it'll rip and it'll be unpleasant to say the least.

IM3000

Pelican
I know that most people probably won't appreciated this video as it is in German, but this man (Michael Lüders) has dropped the best statement concerning this whole debacle that I heard so far from a German source. If you understand the language, check it out. Overall, if you don't know his work, his books on the war in Syria, Afghanistan, etc. are very good.

Papist

Kingfisher
Trad Catholic
I know that most people probably won't appreciated this video as it is in German, but this man (Michael Lüders) has dropped the best statement concerning this whole debacle that I heard so far from a German source. If you understand the language, check it out. Overall, if you don't know his work, his books on the war in Syria, Afghanistan, etc. are very good.

Are you able to summarise what he said?

I don't think this is necessarily a good thing, albeit inevitable. In the short term China Russia alliance is great, but if you dont think the Chinese tech companies are not ruthless in their data mining for their own ends of cultural destruction, I think you are denying reality.

Of course the west does this too, so perhaps it's a pick your poison thing, I am just not sure this is a good thing even though there is no choice.

Peacock
Catholic
Gold Member
There is a lot of social turmoil in the Netherlands right now, brought about by draconian Greta-type measures against agriculture, and no doubt aggravated by rising energy and fertilizers prices. Holland is very dependent on natural gas for agriculture and industry.

IM3000

Pelican
Are you able to summarise what he said?
Basically, he very eloquently and concisely explains how West's moral superiority generally is just a vehicle to push their own agenda forward. If its moral was indeed guided by an ultimate truth or conviction, it'd apply everywhere but quite obviously, it doesn't. He brings up the West's outrage with regards to Nawalny and its silence regarding Assange.

Further he explains that this false moral superiority (which many in the West and certainly the majority in Germany believe in), necessarily becomes an ideology and that by their very nature, ideologies are dangerous, especially when they are based on falsehood.
He explains how the Green party is the most successful party in Germany when it comes to moral based politics. They are in government and occupy two important seats: Robert Habeck is the minister of economics and energy and Annalena Baerbock is the minister for foreign affairs.
In the polls, they are both the most popular politicians in Germany and their actions are entirely guided by the aforementioned false moral superiority aka hypocrisy.

He then describes how Russia was basically pushed to war by the West, i.e. the US, and how this war can only be stopped by Moscow and Washington and nobody else. In his words, the Ukrainian people are the pawns on the chessboard and Zelensky might be a knight, if that.
His conclusion is pretty dire: Habeck et al. apparently are willing to sacrifice Germany's prosperity and the EU as a whole on the alter of the false moral superiority.

Nothing he says should be a surprise for any of you guys reading this. It's pretty obvious, really. That said, this guy has a somewhat large audience, well selling books and used to be a frequent talk show guest in normie shows. Furthermore, he articulately ties the moral falsehood of the West in general and Germany in particular to the developments in Ukraine better than anyone, who has opened his mouth from Germany so far.

"A cash-for-clunkers program for air conditioning and other household appliances will not only reduce energy demand, but also support the retail industry and some European manufacturers. It won’t be cheap. But neither are blackouts. And it achieves many policy objectives at a time many families are tightening their belts and the economy is slowing down."

Washington Post Your Old Fridge Is Vladimir Putin’s Friend. Dump It!

Last edited:
"A cash-for-clunkers program for air conditioning and other household appliances will not only reduce energy demand, but also support the retail industry and some European manufacturers. It won’t be cheap. But neither are blackouts. And it achieves many policy objectives at a time many families are tightening their belts and the economy is slowing down."

Washington Post Your Old Fridge Is Vladimir Putin’s Friend. Dump It!
Good thing that all these new appliances don't take energy to construct. Like mining and refining the metals involved with a new appliances, manufacturing and assembly, then shipping it halfway around the world from Korea, so that you can save 2 bucks a month on your power bill, until your new smart refrigerator shuts down because you said something racist on Whatsapp. Or because you didn't download the latest software that let's the government put limits on the minimum temperature you can use.

IM3000

Pelican
Good thing that all these new appliances don't take energy to construct. Like mining and refining the metals involved with a new appliances, manufacturing and assembly, then shipping it halfway around the world from Korea, so that you can save 2 bucks a month on your power bill, until your new smart refrigerator shuts down because you said something racist on Whatsapp. Or because you didn't download the latest software that let's the government put limits on the minimum temperature you can use.
Pretty much. My fridge is from the 1998 and still going strong. Reminds me of Brave New World: Ending is better than mending.

Papist

Kingfisher
Trad Catholic
You might be joking about your fridge shutting down, but I seem to recall that was actually planned many years ago:

That's all I can find, but I seem to recall the proposal was to simply turn them off.

Max Roscoe

Ostrich
Orthodox Inquirer

How much are the sanctions costing the USA?
Here's another $37 billion.
Europe is being much more reasonable than the US on the economic front. Nations are seeing it as risky to buy an expensive American product, when America could cut you off from parts or service for political reasons.

China’s top three airlines ordered almost 300 Airbus jets -- one of the European planemaker’s biggest ever single-day deals -- in the first major acquisitions since pandemic restrictions isolated the world’s second-largest economy.

“It is disappointing that geopolitical differences continue to constrain US aircraft exports,” a Boeing spokesperson said, adding that sales to China historically support tens of thousands of American jobs.

Tens of thousands of American jobs are now at risk. All for the Anal Values of the Ukraine.

Of course, China may also be worried about safety:
China was the first nation to ground Boeing 737 Max jets in March 2019 following the second of two fatal crashes involving the model. Other regulators soon followed but most have since allowed the Max to fly again. It still hasn’t restarted commercial services in China.

Gazprom announced that gas supplies to Europe will be reduced from 100 million cubic meters to 67. The official reason is the failure of Siemens to fulfill its obligations to repair equipment. - gas prices will go up /again/
View attachment 42995
"A machine used in shipping Russian natural gas to Germany has been caught up in Canadian sanctions imposed against Moscow, prompting a steep drop in flows in a key Russian pipeline and contributing to a surge in European natural gas prices on Tuesday.
Gazprom, the Russian gas monopoly, said on Twitter on Tuesday that it was reducing the amount of gas it sends to Germany via the Nord Stream pipeline by about 40 percent because a turbine sent for repairs had not been returned “in due time.” (...)"

"An announcement by Russia’s Gazprom to reduce natural gas supplies to Germany via the Nord Stream offshore pipeline has led to fears that Moscow could decide to use the fossil fuel to put its biggest European customer under pressure in response to western sanctions. German economy minister Robert Habeck said Gazprom's move could be a "political decision". (...)"

"In addition to the Nord Stream supply issues, an incident at an LNG export terminal in the United States is adding to concerns in Europe and Germany. A fire at the Freeport LNG terminal in Texas on June 8 prompted an immediate shutdown of the facility's three liquefaction trains. The damage would keep the plant fully offline until September with only partial operation through year-end, raising the risk of gas shortages in Europe, reported Reuters. Analysts said that around 70 percent of Freeport monthly supplies in the past few months went to the European Union and Britain."