Elevation of Orthodox forum category

Status
Not open for further replies.

GuitarVH

Kingfisher
Orthodox Inquirer
I'm in the same boat, I believe the Orthodox Church is the true Church, but I live in a country with a Catholic/Evangelical majority (Brazil) with no Orthodox churches around.

I dont really care about tags, though.

Are any of these nearby to you?

lskdfjldsf

Pelican
Orthodox Catechumen
Gold Member
Minor change compared to how this place was 5+ years ago!

As a Catholic, I'm fine with it, as long as there is still some room for discussion here without being shoved into a corner and labeled a heretic by overzealous Orthodox converts. Paul warned about this tendency among recent converts in 1 Timothy 3:6 and it's on full display in this thread.

It was Scorpion (probably the best poster here, and a Protestant no less) who helped lead me to God through PM interactions and the sharing of resources back when this place was still a PUA dump. Guys like that -- solid men of God who really do put in the leg work -- should not be excluded.

As a Roman Catholic this deeply saddens me. First, we have Motu Proprio, then one of my favorite bloggers goes 110% down with sedevacantism (which I had been tolerating up to this point, but now is unbearable) and now this.

I must first give thanks to @Roosh for having provided me insight all these years, but no more. This is a journey I must continue somewhere else. May God bless all of you, but this is farewell!

Please delete this account.

“Eastern Orthodoxy” maintains the Apostolic Tradition and mystical wisdom handed down to us by the Fathers over time.
Eastern “Orthodoxy” is an oxymoron. It’s not orthodox. It’s not even internally coherent. It’s a mess of invention, contradiction and eastern occult tradition covered over with mysticism, fideism, antinomic apophaticism, and anti-West polemics.

DanielH

Ostrich
Orthodox
Not accepting the Filioque is equal to paganism.
The Ancient Church didn't "have" the Filioque for hundreds of years, even after the Creed was written, was the Church pagan then? The account I'm replying to however is not a serious one and has been banned many times over the past few days. I'd rather not respond at all but I don't want people who aren't informed on this to be misled. Catholics don't even believe what this poster is saying, that the Orthodox are "pagan" for not having the Filioque, and many Eastern Rite Catholic churches in communion with Rome don't use the Filioque in their Creed. It isn't "not accepting the Filioque" either, the other four patriarchates (Orthodoxy) simply never made the unilateral change that the Patriarchate of Rome made. If Rome thought it was a big enough issue to schism over, they should have held another Ecumenical Council, as was the practice for the first thousand years and even in Acts 15.

Last edited:

Hermetic Seal

Pelican
Orthodox
Gold Member
[Most Holy Family Basketball Court propaganda]

Dude, are you trying to set a record for "most consecutive bans from RVF of all time"? Nobody cares about your dumb, shallow propaganda from dorks LARPing as monks. Their spiel has been debunked over and over again by Dyer et al. Only those with no understanding of Orthodoxy will fall for their shallow, dishonest presentation, which is the whole point: to keep Catholics disturbed by the current state of their church from taking a serious look at Orthodoxy and its history/beliefs/etc. and suck them into your weird trailer park cult that's basically the Catholic equivalent of dispensationalism.

GuitarVH

Kingfisher
Orthodox Inquirer
Dude, are you trying to set a record for "most consecutive bans from RVF of all time"? Nobody cares about your dumb, shallow propaganda from dorks LARPing as monks. Their spiel has been debunked over and over again by Dyer et al. Only those with no understanding of Orthodoxy will fall for their shallow, dishonest presentation, which is the whole point: to keep Catholics disturbed by the current state of their church from taking a serious look at Orthodoxy and its history/beliefs/etc. and suck them into your weird trailer park cult that's basically the Catholic equivalent of dispensationalism.

Not surprisingly, he is now banned too. Watch for another crazie who creates a profile today or this weekend and then makes similar posts.

wiseape

Pigeon
Orthodox
It's time to find another Catholic Community

As I posted not too long ago, this forum was increasingly becoming Orthodox. I knew this moment would come, but held my fingers and did not say anything.

Roosh has labeled us "Heterodox". It is only a matter of time until he starts calling us Schismatic Heretics and labels the subforum "Heretics", and many other disparaging names The YouTuber, Aka Jay Dyer, has called us for over 2 years now.

I suggest ALL CATHOLICS to STOP posting in the "Heterodox" sub-forum immediately. Posting in a forum labeled as such implies you agree with it to some degree, and may even be a Sin. I, will no longer be an active member of this forum, nor will I be following Roosh's work. You may deactivate-delete this account. I appreciate all you have done for me, and you were a big part in my red-pill, to God-pill conversion, but it is obvious this now has come to an end.

To the rest of the RadTrads, I suggest you consult your priest before posting in a forum to labels you "Heterodox" if you must continue to post here. I for one, will not be taking my chances, nor will I stand for it.

Gents, the title “Orthodox” is not just a name. It is a description, just as “Catholic”. The opposite of Orthodox is, in fact, Heterodox. It is not an insult, it is a objective description and it conveys a theological truth. Non-Orthodox theology and practice is, by definition, Heterodox.

I have used the description “Protestant” to describe Episcopalian and non-denominational friends who object. But it’s objectively true and historically accurate that of you are in a Western, post-reformation Christian group, you are in fact Protestant. It’s the same thing.

Last edited:

Louis IX

Pelican
I took time for me to comment and not wanted to have a too hot-blooded reaction. The new structure of the forum saddens me a lot. I think from an orthodox perspective it makes sense , and somehow it s kind of ok to push Catholics out little by little. I must say that the term "heterodox" shocked me a lot because it indeed sounds like an insult to us , but now it has been amended so it's ok.

I have a question , will it still be allowed to post constructive critics of Orthodoxy ?

I might be wrong here, but isn't the whole "choice" between Orthodox and Catholic a very modern thing? In the past people didn't have access to 6 hour Jay Dyer YouTube videos to explain to them why they should convert to Orthodoxy, they probably just stayed with the religion of their ancestors. Wasn't it mostly a geographic thing whether your family was Orthodox or Catholic? Does God really expect people to become knowledgeable on these complex theological discussions and make a decision for themselves?

"Love the Lord your God with all your mind" is part of the most important commandment Christ taught. So if God gave me a mind capable of understanding and reasoning about all the information available, and the free will to choose the right path for myself, I believe it is God's will for me to at least make a good honest effort.

And one of the scribes came up and heard them disputing with one another, and seeing that he answered them well, asked him, “Which commandment is the most important of all?” Jesus answered, “The most important is, ‘Hear, O Israel: The Lord our God, the Lord is one. And you shall love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your mind and with all your strength.’ Mark 11:28-30

I agree with you this is more challenging now in the last days when so much competing information is available, compared to past ages when most people couldn't even read. We are those "to whom much was given" in the way of literacy, information, and worldwide communication, so I believe we are required to put it to good use. If we honestly try and fail I believe God will have mercy.

"Everyone to whom much was given, of him much will be required, and from him to whom they entrusted much, they will demand the more." Luke 12:48b

That said I also believe it's wrong to judge the religious beliefs and practices of others except as it pertains to ourselves. Jesus said "I tell you, many will come from east and west and recline at table with Abraham, Isaac, and Jacob in the kingdom of heaven, while the sons of the kingdom will be thrown into the outer darkness. In that place there will be weeping and gnashing of teeth." I will not be surprised when many regular church attendees from any particular sect fail to reach the Kingdom of Heaven, while devout Christians from other sects (possibly even Muslims, Hindus, and others who love God as well as they know Him) are let in to the Kingdom. "On that day many will say to me, ‘Lord, Lord, did we not prophesy in your name, and cast out demons in your name, and do many mighty works in your name?’ And then will I declare to them, ‘I never knew you; depart from me, you workers of lawlessness." I can only hope those words are not about me.

I think the real question is, when you finally come face to face with the Son of God, your final judge, what will be your attitude towards Him? Indignation and hatred, wanting to kill Him for revealing your spiritual bankruptcy and hypocrisy? Or recognizing who He is, wanting to love and serve Him, and willingly giving up your false beliefs to bow to His will? That's regardless of what you may have believed while on Earth when so much of the spiritual realm was hidden and unknown to us, and cultural beliefs may have hindered us.

Last edited:
Gents, the title “Orthodox” is not just a name. It is a description, just as “Catholic”. The opposite of Orthodox is, in fact, Heterodox. It is not an insult, it is a objective description and it conveys a theological truth. Non-Orthodox theology and practice is, by definition, Heterodox.

I have used the description “Protestant” to describe Episcopalian and non-denominational friends who object. But it’s objectively true and historically accurate that of you are in a Western, post-reformation Christian group, you are in fact Protestant. It’s the same thing.

I agree there are more important things to focus on than arguing over labels. "Charge them before God not to quarrel about words, which does no good, but only ruins the hearers." 2 Timothy 2:14b

Christ has only one body. There are many other good posts already in this thread about the danger of division in the body of Christ. The wheat and the tares will be well-mixed in any denomination, only to be separated on the last day.

Status
Not open for further replies.