Elon Musk thread

Thomas More

Hummingbird
I am in favor of space exploration and development, and this is what makes me appreciate Elon Musk. I don't care about Tesla per se, except to the extent it helps him to be rich so he can afford to make continued advancements in rocketry. His achievements in rocketry are like Trump's achievements in politics. Absolutely ground breaking and game changing, and completely outside of what people said was possible, until he did it in a short time and made it seem easy.

It may be a silly fancy, but I want to see space ships and space stations. I want visits to the moons of Jupiter and colonies on the moon and Mars. I want to visit Earth orbit and the moon myself. I want to see the asteroids mined profitably.

Musk is taking the steps that could make these things possible. It seems likely that the 2020s will see major progress in manned space exploration and development, thanks to Elon Musk. I appreciate him for this, and I don't care if he is quirky in other areas of his life, or if a major part of his model depends on beating other existing players in the game of harvesting government subsidies. I'm all about the advanced rockets and space development.

skullmask

Woodpecker
Elon Musk continues to not toe the line of the elites. When will folks on the forum stop hating him?

I don't hate him personally. In fact I really like what he's doing with SpaceX and Tesla. But I have reservations about some of the things he's doing. I think he puts too much faith in technology with regards to how people might use it. I don't think he has nefarious motives when it comes to neuralink and the FSD feature being developed for Tesla cars. However, I can see how wicked men could twist these products to serve evil ends. A networked car that can drive itself and a direct interface between a computer and the human mind present a lot of opportunities for malicious hackers and state and corporate intelligence operations.

If we lived in a high trust society where the wicked were kept in check I don't think neuralink, self-driving cars and all the electronic stuff we already have that could compromise privacy and freedom would be an issue. As things actually are, there's a lot to be concerned about. I don't see Elon out there saying much about the potential for harm, which concerns me. Is he even aware of these issues? Can a guy who's obviously that intelligent really be that naive?

Oh well. Hopefully tonight's crew launch goes well.

I don't hate him personally. In fact I really like what he's doing with SpaceX and Tesla. But I have reservations about some of the things he's doing. I think he puts too much faith in technology with regards to how people might use it. I don't think he has nefarious motives when it comes to neuralink and the FSD feature being developed for Tesla cars. However, I can see how wicked men could twist these products to serve evil ends. A networked car that can drive itself and a direct interface between a computer and the human mind present a lot of opportunities for malicious hackers and state and corporate intelligence operations.

If we lived in a high trust society where the wicked were kept in check I don't think neuralink, self-driving cars and all the electronic stuff we already have that could compromise privacy and freedom would be an issue. As things actually are, there's a lot to be concerned about. I don't see Elon out there saying much about the potential for harm, which concerns me. Is he even aware of these issues? Can a guy who's obviously that intelligent really be that naive?

Oh well. Hopefully tonight's crew launch goes well.
Musk clearly has a "savior complex". He believes he can save the Earth. But he treats his employees like crap. I have friends who work for Tesla and SpaceX and both tell me the same story. Employees are expendable and burned up and tossed out. SpaceX especially is a high tech sweat shop. And it seems like Musk is starting to say and do weird stuff. It wouldn't surprised me one bit that he ends up like Howard Hughes one day, locked up in some compound, talking to himself, laying in bed all day, not showering for months, yelling at posters of Jeff Bezos, peeing on himself.

Elon Musk is someone I have always respected, his work ethic is his most defining quality because he fundamentally loves what he does. Only that can drive a man to work for 22 hours a day. Yes, he does have a lot of stuff I don't accept either. His neuralink project will be a disaster for humanity as that whole thing is part of this "transhumanism" garbage. I still appreciate his drive to colonize Mars, I've always been fascinated with space exploration as an idea, although I doubt it will mean that the entire planet will become a second earth. Overall, I think any colony there would be underground and would lack many of the conforts that we take for granted on earth.

skullmask

Woodpecker
Musk clearly has a "savior complex". He believes he can save the Earth. But he treats his employees like crap. I have friends who work for Tesla and SpaceX and both tell me the same story. Employees are expendable and burned up and tossed out. SpaceX especially is a high tech sweat shop.
Well that's concerning. It can't be good for the long term health of a company if it keeps driving out experienced employees. I just hope those employees can move on and use what they learned to do good things elsewhere.

Well that's concerning. It can't be good for the long term health of a company if it keeps driving out experienced employees. I just hope those employees can move on and use what they learned to do good things elsewhere.
Many SpaceX people end up at Blue Origin, Jeff Bezos rocket company. IMO Blue Origin beill be the long term winner in space exploration business. They have a long term plan and Bezos does care how much money he spends to build the best rocket possible.

skullmask

Woodpecker
Many SpaceX people end up at Blue Origin, Jeff Bezos rocket company. IMO Blue Origin beill be the long term winner in space exploration business. They have a long term plan and Bezos does care how much money he spends to build the best rocket possible.
Yeah so Blue Origin has been in the business longer than SpaceX has, but has yet to put anything into orbit. They have their New Shepard suborbital rocket but right now that looks like more of a toy than anything else. I'm not impressed with the lunar lander they are working on for the Artemis project either. The only thing on that monstrosity that's reusable is the ascent element.

To me Blue Origin looks like the opposite of SpaceX. I'm sure employees at Blue Origin are happy but there's probably a lot of pussy footing around. SpaceX is balls to the wall but burns out engineers quickly too. Surely there's not some sort of happy medium?

username

Ostrich
Gold Member
Starlink is pretty interesting and a version of it is up and running now. Some of their customers who never had high speed internet in their rural locations now have 100 Mbps for $100/month. Will make it much easier to have rural and very rural compounds in the future.

estraudi

Pelican
Gold Member
Based African American Musk is re-making white flight for the 2020's.
Only this time the white flight is not from cities to suburbs but from Earth to Mars.
A whole new realm of human growth and exploration is to come from that.

Justin C

Pigeon
I dont understand why people call him innovative or a genius. Hes a rich money mover thats all. Rich daddy. Got lucky being involved in paypal. The company he "founded" before getting into paypal is shady.

The actual founder, designer and engineer of tesla dislikes him a lot.

I wouldnt be surprised if hes a spook trying to get everyone onboard with technocracy. His neuralink project should set off alarms.
As far as fantasizing about space travel, just more gay escapism. Fix the problems on earth stop jacking off thinking we're going to be space conqueuers.

you have to realize this is a man that managed to make a major car company in the 21st century. nobody has done that, maybe rivian but other than that not anywhere near the sales of tesla. they are pretty much a kia copy but they are nice cars. as for space exploration i think that it is very important in the event of a catastrophic event on earth for the survival of our species. companies like nasa are doing great strides in space exploration/spacecraft technologies. not just spacex but lockheed martin and boeing as well. imagine our health technology leading to infinite life combined with space colonization and we can could live forever.

skullmask

Woodpecker
companies like nasa
Ok, I'm gonna have to nitpick a bit. NASA isn't a company it's a government agency. And it hasn't innovated in decades.

Boeing is going the way of all corporations, outsourcing their engineering and software development to the pajeet mafia. It bit them in the ass during their botched testflight of Starliner. The launch vehicle for Starliner is a completely disposable Atlas 5, which uses a Russian main engine and the upper stage is based on tech from the 1960s. And don't even get me started on that 737 Max debacle.

Boeing and Lockheed both operate ULA, which has repeatedly failed time after time to launch NROL 44, a Delta IV Heavy that maybe launches once or twice a year. I can't even find a straight answer regarding how much these things cost, but it's in the hundreds of millions as far as I can tell.