Ending one's news consumption

Godward

Robin
(First, I thought about posting this under "Culture general", but on second thought it might actually be more of a "Health" thing, since "News is bad for your health".)

Lately, I have been thinking about radically stopping my news (and social media) consumption. And I am not talking about the MSM here, which I already try to avoid like the plague that it is. I specifically mean stopping with all news, including alternative and free media.

The reason is that I noticed that, in my life, it mostly serves as a distraction, or perhaps even as an addiction -- an addiction to 'keep up to date' that spikes dopamine levels everytime more "insights" into recent events are being consoomed.

Yet, I do not think this distraction feeds any real purpose anymore. I do not need to be reaffirmed in my beliefs; those are already grounded. I already know that the modern World is an exponentially intensifying Satanic clown world. And that only true repentance and conversion can bring Godless people back to normality. So, I do not need to read disturbing future news articles about goodpersons and zombies doing something that is next-level retarded, because I already know that they will. They will drink the entire poisoned chalice until no single drop of insanity is left to drink. That is not to say that alternative news does not serve a purpose at all -- but once you are godpilled, I think it has served its purpose for you.

Then what things am I referring to when I say that the news is distracting me? Well, it distracts from those matters that are objectively of greater importance to both my own spiritual growth as well as that of people I have to witness to. Think about studying scripture, daily prayer, reading actually insightful books, investing in actual human relationships, working my job, etc. The bad news is thus distracting from the Good News.

As such, I believe it is time for a radical change. With perhaps a monthly Roosh Hour as an exception to the rule. ; )

I am really eager to hear everyone's thoughts about this matter.... whether one is also considering ending the news consumption, or perhaps whether one still sees purpose in following recent events as a godpilled person, etc.

Max Roscoe

Pelican
Orthodox Inquirer
TLDR: Most likely, you are not getting "news" and you are frustrated because you think you are.

The same way relationships have been perverted into hookup apps, rampant dating, and facebook messaging with faux friends, jobs have been turned into staring in front of computer screens and clicking buttons, and food has been turned into high carb sugary GMO modified and factory farmed processed calorie delivery vehicles, you are probably just accepting whatever they call news, as news, the same way people accept Chick McNuggets as lunch.

If you like to be informed about things, read a good magazine or book. There is a direct relationship between quality of knowledge and time to publication, that goes something like this, from lowest quality of information to highest, (and lowest amount of research / work to highest):

Live Tweets
Online Blogs
Live Television News
Internet News Sites
Newspapers
Television News Programs (60 minutes, Frontline)
Magazines
Books

Really only the last 3 give me anything of value.

Frontline is actually a really good program and they spend a lot of time researching their stories.
But nowhere near the amount of research a book author will do. I really have zero use for live news. What could they possibly tell me that will impact my life at all? Other than "a hurricane is on the way" I can't think of anything.

The vast majority of stuff the "modern news" talks about is utterly unimportant. None of it matters to you, or the average person, in any way. Here are the top 3 stories on CNN, Fox and Breitbart:
CNN: Putin Got Exactly What He Wanted From Biden
Fox: Biden says cybersecurity, a list of "off-limit" attack targets discussed, but will Putin heed warnings?
Boomerbart: Geneva Summit Disaster, Biden Gets Nothing, Putin Gets Away With Everything, Elevated Above Americas Allies

First, notice the narrative, all three are warmongering against Russia, a country that is one of the only sane first world nations left.
Second, Fox News gets the award for worst headline, that is just horrible writing. Their narrative is supposedly that Russia is some evil adversarial enemy of the US. Which if that is true, why would a target be "off limits" for him? Wouldn't giving a list of your most vulnerable "off limits" targets to your mortal enemy be an absurd and suicidal move? Third, Boomerbart, being the most insane of the above, actually goes full retard and presents the absurd idea that Russia has been elevated above Americas allies (Israel, Saudi Arabia, and the UK?). This would actually be great news if it's true, but of course it's not.

And again, the point is what they are talking about is utterly unimportant to all of us. Either Putin is some evil enemy (which, how he is going to affect my life is still never stated.. is it supposed to be fear of nukes?) or Putin, like he says, "doesn't think there is any hostility" between him and the west. I'm 99% sure it's the latter, but assuming he is actually a bad man, what are you supposed to do, other than be fearful about him, and be upset at Biden and elect an even more insane anti-Russian warmonger in 3 years?

Then, there are the stories that *are* important. Yes, occasionally these are also covered by live news. But they are probably more likely to misinform you than anything. For example, what do you know about the Columbine shooting? It's a bunch of weirdos who couldn't get success with girls and went on a killing rampage in their school, they were members of some group called The Trenchcoat Mafia, they were bullied by their classmates, and social outcasts, they hated sports jocks and immigrants, right?

Well, that's the media narrative, but if you read an actual book, like Dave Cullen's Columbine, you will find out that NONE OF THAT IS TRUE. Just like with the Putin / Biden meeting (assuming you even care about that and it's somehow relevant to your life), you are actually LESS informed by reading their "news."

The ONLY use of live news to me is a) to warn me of impending trouble, like a hurricane or alien invasion or b) during live events like 9/11, live news can contradict some of their lies before they have crafted their narrative, like how they talked about "pulling" the building or how building 7 was predicted to come down by the BBC before it actually did.

The bottom line is stop taking propaganda about Putin as news, and just actually learn something, and then you won't hate news. FYI a few good journalists: Glenn Greenwald, Matt Taiibi, Aaron Mate, Andrew Anglin, Ron Unz, Jeremy Scahill, Jimmy Dore (podcast). These people will all contradict what the mainstream media tells you.

Nate_Drake

Sparrow
As a die hard news junkie since as early as I can remember, cutting out media from your life is a great idea. My justification for paying attention has always been that I need that information to make informed decisions. In retrospect, I can find little to 0 ROI for my efforts of attention. This isn't to say be ignorant, but to pay attention to it daily -- say more than fifteen minutes is simply a waste of time. Figure out where you want to get info from and skim that data and get on with your life. Probably don't look at it in the morning or evening since both times are critical to your well being. In the meantime rest assured, for the next twenty years there will be chatter about aliens, life on Mars, , aids cures, cancer cures, cold fusion energy, and global warming--i meant climate change, sorry. Back and brown people will still be the most discriminated minority groups(native Americans don't count unless you're female or homeless leftist provocateur) even though they'll be the majority. Unfortunately none of these stories will result in anything conclusive and will be indistinguishable from useless noise. Probably better off following the NFL for current information than watching the MSM.

Last edited:
Good plan. I haven't cut all my news consumption, but I have cut all TV/Cable news consumption and drastically reduced my online news consumption over the last year or so. I agree that it is no more than a distraction from more important things and that it's all practically false reporting anyway, no matter the outlet.

"The Question of the Newspaper - We are inclined to think it necessary to read the daily papers in order to keep in touch with what is going on in the world. Let us beware lest they place us in the world's grip. The modern newspaper is so well written, so attractive to the eye, that it tends to become an absorbing taste. It is a tendency of the day to wallow in the daily papers. Endless discussion, a prejudiced outlook, a little scrappy knowledge, a distaste for serious or good literature, loss of power of concentration, faulty memory such are the products of those wasted hours during which God's Kingdom could have been so powerfully advanced" (Frank Duff: Can we be Saints?)

Viktor Zeegelaar

Ostrich
Orthodox Inquirer
(First, I thought about posting this under "Culture general", but on second thought it might actually be more of a "Health" thing, since "News is bad for your health".)

Lately, I have been thinking about radically stopping my news (and social media) consumption. And I am not talking about the MSM here, which I already try to avoid like the plague that it is. I specifically mean stopping with all news, including alternative and free media.

The reason is that I noticed that, in my life, it mostly serves as a distraction, or perhaps even as an addiction -- an addiction to 'keep up to date' that spikes dopamine levels everytime more "insights" into recent events are being consoomed.

Yet, I do not think this distraction feeds any real purpose anymore. I do not need to be reaffirmed in my beliefs; those are already grounded. I already know that the modern World is an exponentially intensifying Satanic clown world. And that only true repentance and conversion can bring Godless people back to normality. So, I do not need to read disturbing future news articles about goodpersons and zombies doing something that is next-level retarded, because I already know that they will. They will drink the entire poisoned chalice until no single drop of insanity is left to drink. That is not to say that alternative news does not serve a purpose at all -- but once you are godpilled, I think it has served its purpose for you.

Then what things am I referring to when I say that the news is distracting me? Well, it distracts from those matters that are objectively of greater importance to both my own spiritual growth as well as that of people I have to witness to. Think about studying scripture, daily prayer, reading actually insightful books, investing in actual human relationships, working my job, etc. The bad news is thus distracting from the Good News.

As such, I believe it is time for a radical change. With perhaps a monthly Roosh Hour as an exception to the rule. ; )

I am really eager to hear everyone's thoughts about this matter.... whether one is also considering ending the news consumption, or perhaps whether one still sees purpose in following recent events as a godpilled person, etc.
Fantastic post @Godward. I agree entirely and have been having these thoughts increasingly over the last period. About a year ago I really dove into all of this from Jones to Icke to Dyer to Primal Edge Health and everything in between. Amazingly powerful, necessary and a painful blessing to experience it all but I also lost control over it. At some point I just couldn't take time for myself, relax, reflect, be silent. I always had to be stimulated with the news and a better understanding of contemporary events, particularly the grand conspiracy behind this. Now however I feel that I'm at a point that I get the full scope of it and I've lost interest to again and again dive into these 3-4 hour streams to hear the same message again and again. It's tiring, boring and repetitive. It gets you out of the real world experience, where the world yes is getting increasingly Satanic but also the sun shines and people generally just try to live their lives. I limit it down now to Roosh Hour and a local Dutch source to keep up to date with what's happening, but cutting out all the rest. If you know the end of the movie it's OK to skip a scene or not pay too much attention, you don't have to have this intense focus all the time.

typtre

Woodpecker
One of the Protocols is to dilute the news with all kinds of contradictory information, to confuse and mislead.
I rarely read news outright anymore, but I do notice them :alien:

They lie in the news and tell the truth in the movies.

stugatz

Pelican
I gave up non-print news for Lent (so YouTubes, talk radio, podcasts, TV shows, etc) and it felt incredible. I definitely figured out what content creators weren’t worth following.

I try hard now to maybe listen to political stuff for less than 45 minutes a day. I do check here, Breitbart, Federalist, and Drudge clone aggregator sites, but a lot of those stories are just not worth following.

I’ve given up all mainstream news and I’m definitely better and happier for it. The only drawback I can think of is that I was unaware I was directly in the path of an approaching hurricane until about 30 minutes ago. I guess I should turn on the NOAA radio more often.

I have not owned a television for 12 years. Getting rid of that demonic thing is right up there with some of the best decisions I have ever taken. You will know what is going on around you because you have eyes and ears; I do not need the news to tell me what I can see and hear. Some news still finds its way to me through my internet use though, and that is more than enough. We do not need to know as much as we think we do, it is just rubbish in the head. I am even now coming to the conclusion that I ought even to read fewer books; that is time that can be spent in quiet prayer instead.

I followed "the news" closely for nearly two decades. 9/11 happened at the beginning of my freshman year in college and having witnessed the second plane hit the WTC live on TV I felt it was a major turning point in history. That time period was also the start of right-leaning sites online so there seemed to be an alternative to the media monopoly. The greatest benefit came not from news stories though but from conservative pundits like Pat Buchanan, Sam Francis and Joseph Sobran. The opinions of men like these helped me to shape my worldview and to look at traditional news with a critical eye.

I quit reading Drudge during the Obama presidency, well before he (or whoever bought him out) turned the site psychotically anti-Trump. After growing increasingly disillusioned through the Bush wars, the bi-partisan amnesty pushes and the Obama administrations, like many of us I regained some hope with Trump's rise and was listening to talk radio again and reading some straight news, but mostly opinion pieces (or videos) from people on the right. Even though Trump's win seemed like a high point, the conservative media had already been consolidated and purged into homogenized crap, outside of a handful of dissident commentators, like Roosh, who were systematically eliminated from most platforms by the time of Trump's departure. The cynical crushing of Trump's final year with the fake pandemic followed by the fake election throttled almost all interest in politics out of me.

In the past few months I've slowly taken an interest in current events again but only through listening to Roosh's streams and also Nick Fuentes who I had never watched until just this spring. I'll read some news stories here or there but sparingly, mostly skimming and skipping the obvious leftist propaganda (most of it). It's mostly economic and cultural news now linked from prepping and investing sites, more practical knowledge than straight political stuff. The only news I watch are short clips online from foreign outlets, about the economic crisis in Lebanon for example, I automatically skip any articles from known leftist outlets (most of them) and I'm only interested in hearing the opinions of explicit Christians on societal and cultural issues. I have a personal interest in Eastern Europe so I will keep up with political and military news in the region but sparingly. Local news is subject to the same leftist filter as national news, but one section I still enjoy is the police blotter to get a sense for what types of crimes to be wary of, reading the surnames of the perps is also fun. I find books to be much more informative and edifying, especially history, particularly biographies.

I stopped watch news on the TV maybe since 2016. I was a heavy consoomer of RT (Russia Today) and whilst I was aware they are a form of controlled opposition, it was still good to get different angles of the current affairs in the UK at the time.

I've been a heavy news reader for a long time and it's only gotten worse thanks to the coof and being online everyday by setting up an anon account on Twitter. I've also found links to articles, medical papers and in depth looks at the coofs quite easily on the site and very accessible, otherwise spending too long on there is like a spiral staircase that turns into a slope and it keeps going until you jump off (or log off).

The only positives are that I've stopped reading unnecessary magazines, stopped actively watching TV and able to get some good summaries of current affairs here on the forums, Unz Review and Red Ice TV as examples. I've also got a short list of sources/trusted sites that provide consistent news so I don't go wondering too much into consoom spiral of Twitter.