Endurance cardio- pros and cons

FrancisK

Kingfisher
Gold Member
I don't know, I see what you're saying, but I don't think there's evidence that shows that following some sort of bodybuilding/powerlifting/running routine (on an amateur level, not as a professional) is detrimental to one's health in any way. Human body thrives on being challenged after all, but challenged in a way that it can recover and grow stronger. Without challenge there is only stagnation and deterioration.

Is it healthier to workout hard, within reason, rather than sitting on the couch eating hot pockets and playing video games....yes. Is it healthier to pound your body with weights and eat to compensate for such vs just living an active lifestyle and eating light and healthy....no way.

Does not mean your body can’t take it, does not mean you won’t recover, does not mean you won’t live to be 90 but make no mistake your body does not enjoy being pounded with unnatural weight and having your heart repeatedly stressed unnaturally.

This is coming from a guy who pounds his body with weights regularly. But I have no illusions about what I’m doing, I’m doing it for vanity. Every “built” guy and former athlete I know has severe issues from it, from their joints to their stomach to their heart. I have a friend built like a Greek god any guy would wish to look like and he can barely pick his kids up because his joints are so bad and has to take blood pressure meds and has big time gut issues. I’ve been lucky myself but it will catch up to me, although I stopped going really heavy a long time ago from looking at what happened to other guys.

FrancisK

Kingfisher
Gold Member
What about 90 mins of running a week? I'd like to achieve 6 mins per mile for five miles. I suppose that's hard on knees?

Of course it’s hard on your knees but life is for living, do what you enjoy but there is always a cost. It’s about knowing the cost and trying to mitigate it.

ScannerLIV

Woodpecker
Why the guts issues? I think powder stuff is damaging . One should also eat only within ten hours window, ideally 8.

Eating 6 small meals a day is a myth.

Also I've seen studies that only 0.70 gram per body pound is sufficient. 1 gram per lb is a myth.

Bodybuilder with heart issues? Only if they take steroids. Weight lifting is not cardio intensive at all

FrancisK

Kingfisher
Gold Member
Why the guts issues? I think powder stuff is damaging . One should also eat only within ten hours window.

Bodybuilder with heart issues? Only if they take steroids. Weight lifting is not cardio intensive at all

Buddy you need to do a lot of research

El Draque

Kingfisher
Orthodox
Or just don't bother with cardio at all and instead shorten your rest periods between sets. The only things cardio is good for is building your endurance and improving cardiovascular health. Does pretty much nothing to benefit what most people use it for, which is weight loss. If you don't train like a pussy, you can get almost as much cardiovascular befit from lifting and probably 1/4 of the endurance benefit if you use moderate rep ranges, killing 2 and 1/2 birds with one stone. Being able to run far is not a very useful skill in 2021, I'd rather only have to spend 40 minutes a week to look and feel good instead of 3 hours or w/e. If you need weight loss it's 95% diet. Cardio might actually do the opposite as most people greatly overestimate how impactful it is and overeat because of that. Known many people who had that problem.

I have to force myself to lift weights. I do 3 times a week, because of the obvious health & fitness benefits, but i do not enjoy going to the weight room at all. It feels so static.

But Boxing & HIIT i absolutely love, and ultimately need. Obvious health benefits are obvious, but for me it's as much a mental thing. Pushing myself to the edge of my fitness. Focusing on performance of each set.

I know some people have this with weights, and honestly i wish i could trade, because i understand the basic tenet that keeping weight off is far more diet than exercise, but still, give me an hour outside with my skipping rope, some sprints, push ups and squat jumps at intensity, than standing in a gym looking in the mirror and lifting weights.

A side issue i'd add, is how narcissistic and ghey so much modern gym culture is these days. Gym i went to in Spain was full of thots constantly filming / taking selfies. Metrosexual bros obsessing about their quads, but even with all that muscle look liek they couldn't fight their way out of a paper bag. Dreadful brain dead weirdly malign pop music piped in at unnecessary levels...

Gimme a weighted vest and a 5 mile hike over anything in an environment like that any day of the week.

Not all gyms are that bad i know, my current one is just a good solid weight room, which mercifully often has no music playing at all (a rare blessing in a gym i find). But still, i have to wonder what so many people are lifting for.

Just for aesthetics? Well fine, nothing wrong with that per se, but without function i just dont get the drive.

Talus

Sparrow
Functionality is my primary motivator for endurance cardio. Weight lifting is great, and is the core of my regimen, but if you can't run 2-3 miles without difficulty, you're just not that fit.

Lots of good points on running damaging joints over the long term. Unless you are training for some serious endurance, you don't need to be running multiple miles everyday to retain a good functionality. I run a couple miles, once or twice a week and it's not a big struggle. If your joints are giving you trouble try some myofascial release techniques and jump on a bike instead.

On an endurance side note, if you haven't experienced the joy of long distance trail running, you should give it a try.

FactusIRX

Kingfisher
Is it healthier to workout hard, within reason, rather than sitting on the couch eating hot pockets and playing video games....yes. Is it healthier to pound your body with weights and eat to compensate for such vs just living an active lifestyle and eating light and healthy....no way.

Does not mean your body can’t take it, does not mean you won’t recover, does not mean you won’t live to be 90 but make no mistake your body does not enjoy being pounded with unnatural weight and having your heart repeatedly stressed unnaturally.

This is coming from a guy who pounds his body with weights regularly. But I have no illusions about what I’m doing, I’m doing it for vanity. Every “built” guy and former athlete I know has severe issues from it, from their joints to their stomach to their heart. I have a friend built like a Greek god any guy would wish to look like and he can barely pick his kids up because his joints are so bad and has to take blood pressure meds and has big time gut issues. I’ve been lucky myself but it will catch up to me, although I stopped going really heavy a long time ago from looking at what happened to other guys.
I do strongman training 4 days a week and have no health issues from it. I've been lifting for about 8 years now. No joint problems, no gut issues (other than my IBS, which is not related to lifting), no blood pressure meds, etc. It sound like your friend took steroids, which is almost certain if he is "built like a Greek god."

For the topic on hand, I always hated running growing up. I have extremely flat feet. I recently bought myself some expensive running shoes that are designed for guys with flat feet. It has helped me to the point where I can run without my feet and calves feeling like they are on fire. I still don't enjoy it, but I force myself to run after my workouts to improve my conditioning. Long distance runners are strange creatures to me, but I still respect you guys.

Bitter End

Woodpecker
Orthodox
By the way, running on a softer surface is lighter on the joints (captain obvious, but I know people that don't realize this). Swimming is the softest on the joints in the long run, if cardio is the goal.

I also believe that maintaining a low resting heart rate can only be a net positive for the performance of the heart for the rest of its life. I remember playing football (the European one) with a very old man who used to be a swimming pro in his youth. He was a machine in his 60s still.

There was also a research about slightly fat people that played football on regular basis. They had better health indicators than those skinny but passive types that don't do much.

FrancisK

Kingfisher
Gold Member
I do strongman training 4 days a week and have no health issues from it. I've been lifting for about 8 years now. No joint problems, no gut issues (other than my IBS, which is not related to lifting), no blood pressure meds, etc. It sound like your friend took steroids, which is almost certain if he is "built like a Greek god."

For the topic on hand, I always hated running growing up. I have extremely flat feet. I recently bought myself some expensive running shoes that are designed for guys with flat feet. It has helped me to the point where I can run without my feet and calves feeling like they are on fire. I still don't enjoy it, but I force myself to run after my workouts to improve my conditioning. Long distance runners are strange creatures to me, but I still respect you guys.

No he never took steroids it seems like that is the go to for everyone to feel better about it, everyone is different but do you truly believe that you can keep pounding your body for the rest of your life and it's not going to catch up with you? Lifting weights for 8 years is not a long time your body is still fresh to it, looking good is something I want to do for the rest of my life not just a short period while I'm relatively young but unfortunately we're all on borrowed time when it comes to that.

FactusIRX

Kingfisher
No he never took steroids it seems like that is the go to for everyone to feel better about it, everyone is different
Issues with internal organs like the digestive system and heart are more consistent with steroid use (and abuse) than general strength training. Strength training improves heart health. There's no real argument on that point, IMO.

do you truly believe that you can keep pounding your body for the rest of your life and it's not going to catch up with you? Lifting weights for 8 years is not a long time your body is still fresh to it, looking good is something I want to do for the rest of my life not just a short period while I'm relatively young but unfortunately we're all on borrowed time when it comes to that.

yes.jpg

Unless you are abusing roids or lifting weight you cannot handle, strength training improves your health. It has improved every aspect of my life from mental to physical to spiritual. I'll be lifting until the day the Good Lord calls me home.

FrancisK

Kingfisher
Gold Member
Issues with internal organs like the digestive system and heart are more consistent with steroid use (and abuse) than general strength training. Strength training improves heart health. There's no real argument on that point, IMO.

View attachment 31232

Unless you are abusing roids or lifting weight you cannot handle, strength training improves your health. It has improved every aspect of my life from mental to physical to spiritual. I'll be lifting until the day the Good Lord calls me home.

Memes, outstanding....

Pounding your body with unnatural weight is not healthy for it. It’s done to look good and feel good which is exactly why I do it, don’t fool yourself otherwise it just doesn’t make any common sense. If you’re worried about health then be active, eat clean, eat less and live a clean life. Athletes disproportionally die young and suffer through extreme health maladies once they’re done using their bodies up.

FactusIRX

Kingfisher
Memes, outstanding....

Pounding your body with unnatural weight is not healthy for it. It’s done to look good and feel good which is exactly why I do it, don’t fool yourself otherwise it just doesn’t make any common sense. If you’re worried about health then be active, eat clean, eat less and live a clean life. Athletes disproportionally die young and suffer through extreme health maladies once they’re done using their bodies up.
From what I gather reading your previous posts, you're pretty young, so you have some time to figure out why you're wrong. I'm going to stop derailing this thread because it's about endurance cardio. All the best.

FrancisK

Kingfisher
Gold Member
From what I gather reading your previous posts, you're pretty young, so you have some time to figure out why you're wrong. I'm going to stop derailing this thread because it's about endurance cardio. All the best.

37 buddy, been lifting heavy since 14......wrestled in college. Nice try though with the passive aggressive insult, what you're out of memes?

I don't understand why you would get so upset over this as if I am personally attacking you when I'm simply trying to interject some common sense into the conversation, Believe me we're all tough guys here who want to throw around heavy weight and wish it had no consequence but it's just not true, I'm not trying to break down your house of cards I'm trying to teach you something but you're only interested in reinforcing that what you're doing is correct and want to hear nothing different regardless of how much sense it makes.

Ignorance is bliss enjoy, not really sure what else to say other than that. When the day comes when you're doing those deadlifts or squats and you feel that "tweak", and make no mistake it will come, maybe you'll remember that someone more experienced than you tried to give you a heads up.

Don't worry I'm not going to go through your post history like you did with mine. There is no reason whatsoever why this should have become contentious, silly.

ScannerLIV

Woodpecker
For heaven's sake, if you wish to convince anyone that heavy work outs is harmful in a long run, you'll have to do better than saying "Hey guys, heavy workouts over a long period of time is harmful and damaging, and anyone who doesn't know is delusional, suffering "ignorance is bliss". Oh, also do your own research luz".

Anyone who doesn't know that deadlifts and squats MAY be damaging over long-term is an idiot, but there's more to heavy workout than exercises which are hard on joints.

You made this claim, that heavy workout over years are bad (Not counting deadlifts/squats) therefore the burden is ON YOU to provide evidences to support your claim.

If your next post continues the same hackneyed line, then you're a low quality poster and I shall congratulate you for being the first on my ignore/block list.

FrancisK

Kingfisher
Gold Member
Take it easy with the dramatics big guy, really it sounds like you're having a bad weekend......

What you want me to link a bunch of youtube videos and random google links or come up with examples of athletes that destroyed their bodies? Sorry that's not a discussion to me, anyone can search online and find that. I'm talking from my own decades of experience being in the world of athletics what I have seen around me and what I have experienced.

I'll repeat what I said previously:

"Is it healthier to workout hard, within reason, rather than sitting on the couch eating hot pockets and playing video games....yes. Is it healthier to pound your body with weights and eat to compensate for such vs just living an active lifestyle and eating light and healthy....no way."

You're trying to make it like I said something fantastical in an effort to say I'm wrong, and then you want to make caveats like not counting deadlifts and squats.....okay so what is lifting heavy to you exactly? Because if you're going to throw those things out which are the most basic of heavy lifts then it sounds to me like you simply don't lift heavy so you have nothing to worry about.

I would happily be on your ignore/block list if it keeps me from seeing rants like the one you just went on.

Again I have no idea why this turned contentious, should I apologize for trying to help? If so then I sincerely sincerely apologize, I'll step out of this thread and let you guys have it this is silly.

scorpion

Hummingbird
Gold Member
I think FrancisK is just saying that heavy lifting past a certain age isn't a great idea, not that all weight lifting past a certain age is bad. Which I would certainly agree with, and which I don't think is a very controversial statement. There is literally zero practical reason for a recreational/health focused lifter to be doing anything less than 5 rep sets, for example (at any age, really, but especially 30+). Doing 1RM/max effort lifts is completely stupid if you don't have serious competitive lifting goals. You're much better off as you get older focusing on 10-15 rep ranges on the compound lifts. Lighter weights, super strict form, slow repetitions. Much easier on your joints and still capable of delivering a very challenging workout to the muscle. In my early 20s I remember getting that advice from an older lifter in his 40s who was still in great shape (and who came to the gym with his smoking hot 30ish girlfriend) and filing it away in my memory. As I've gotten older myself I've found it very useful advice, especially over the past few years. Not only have I been able to maintain all the muscle I built lifting heavier in my youth, I've actually added to it. All while remaining injury-free and placing reduced stress on my joints.

Zagor

Woodpecker
Why it has to be one or the other , there is a whole lot of space between those two poles.

C-Note

Hummingbird
Gold Member
I had my second triathlon of the year today and did much better. It was a "standard" (Olympic) distance and I was able to do the whole swim (almost one mile) without stopping and resting. I had been doing some open water training and preparation, both physically and mentally, and it paid off. I also did much better on the bike and the run.

It was really fun being out in nature early on a Saturday morning with several hundred other triathletes and their friends and family. No one, not a single person, was wearing a mask. Someone sang the national anthem before the start, and everyone faced the flag with their hands over their hearts in complete silence. Everyone was very friendly, cordial, and encouraging with each other. There were no men or women with purple or blue hair. The race workers were polite, helpful, and earnestly engaged. Just a great experience being around positive, growth-oriented, healthy adults and adolescents.

Last edited: