Escape From 'The New Normal'?

Tippy

Woodpecker
How is Mexico? Is it likely to avoid a lockdown this winter ?

I think it is a good plan B option if you go somewhere more desirable and it does not work out, but you do not want to go back to your home country.

Also a good plan A option for people who actually want to move there of course !

Tippy

Woodpecker
I do not honestly want to go there.

I am still undecided on leaving the UK to Balkans.

I did go on the London march yesterday and met some good people.

I think an alternative to escape is making a strong local network.

I think even with vax passport introduction imminent, it will also be possible to basically not take part by never going to a pub or restaurant.

None of us know how long that will be possible.

Enhanced Eddie

Pelican
Gold Member
Update: Quintana Roo (Mexico) now has a vaccine requirement law on the books for entering stores, malls, restaurants, etc. This is the part of Mexico where many have been going (Cancun, Playa del Carmen, Tulum). It seems to be the only state to have passed such a law.

So far it is not being enforced. In fact, nothing is being enforced... I practically never wear masks (unless to enter giant corporate stores like Walmart and OXXO, the local version of 7/11).

Mexico's president is still outspoken against corona hoax and recently said Assange should be freed. We will have to see how it goes from here but the vaccine requirement for public businesses is a bit of a black pill, even if thus far unenforced.

Wode

Chicken
I've been in Mexico for about 8 months now. As things stand, I still think it is the best country in the world to ride this out. But even here you will have to go out of the cities, go completely off grid (including electricity and water) and phase 1 stock up on food, phase 2 get your own food supply.

The agenda is being rolled out here, but a lot more slowly than other places. Also, as other posters have mentioned, nobody cares as much about the law here as they do about money, not even cops. If we're lucky, the increasing pushback we're seeing succeeds before they come for people in the boonies in the third world.

I see a lot of skepticism of the covid measures even on 9gag these days, which has always been normie central. If even the 9gag comment section is waking up (youtube comment section definitely seems to be)... then I think there is hope. We're on the Titanic, but there are life boats. Stay dry as long as possible, and once you're on a life boat, be sure to get far away enough so the ship won't suck you down with it.

I've been to Mexico this year and most women I interacted with were completely brainwashed with covid. Many of them even asked me if I was vaccinated. I know they were half joking but it still shows how low-IQ these people are.

As for going outside of 1st and 2nd tier cities of Mexico, I'm curious how life is there... When I went to 3rd tier cities the women were ugly and the population even more obese than in the big cities. I understand your lifestyle choice but why does it have to be shitholes in Mexico instead of living in small cities in white countries? At least there you can marry a local white woman whereas in Mexico you'll be dealing with non-whites who you are not supposed to marry.

Bitter End

Woodpecker
Orthodox
I do not honestly want to go there.

I am still undecided on leaving the UK to Balkans.

I did go on the London march yesterday and met some good people.

I think an alternative to escape is making a strong local network.

I think even with vax passport introduction imminent, it will also be possible to basically not take part by never going to a pub or restaurant.

None of us know how long that will be possible.
Come to the Balkans. All open. Some countries *cough* have the lowest vaccination rate in the EU.

ananas

Chicken
So, here are some information on Cancun:

Most people are masked, even outside. Cops saw me a few times maskless on the streets and didn’t care at all. I’ve been able to enter a few small stores (money exchange, cellphone store…) without mask and no issue. Same for taxis and taking a bus.

No masks in my hostel, no social distancing or anything weird, except one staff member who was sometimes wearing a mask.

Big stores like chedraui or bus stations like ADO want to take your temperatures before you enter, tho if you walk a bit fast and say no thanks, you might pass without that. But to do groceries on a regular basis, it’s not really evident.

I wouldn’t recommend Cancun, although it is much better than France, I’m sure there are better options.

Now I’m in San Cristobal De Las Casas, in the state of Chiapas. Here about 40-60% people use masks outside.

Most small stores in the downtown don’t require masks, and the owners don’t wear them neither. But most supermarkets, even the small ones ask for it, tho I’ve been able to force my way into a few times.

I’ve been to the artisanal market with friends, all of us without mask, and many if not most vendors didn’t wear masks.

I also saw a dude maskless in the UPS office too, he had no issue with the staff apparently. I see a lot of people with no masks in buses (the small white “combis”.)
Saw a few cops with no masks.
Some restaurants let you enter with an human face, some don’t, some even want to take your temperature.
I’ve entered 4 different hostels (I was a bit struggling to find a free room, there are many tourists in summer), in only one of them the staff was masked.

Overall, I’d say 50% of stores enforce masks. I’ll go to the gym soon and see how it goes there, in a few days.

It seems most people in my hostel are strongly against covid hysteria and fascisim.
The city is nice and cheap, nice people.

Most people are not vaccinated, their vaccination campaign is still only targeting people from 50 to 59 years. I’ve heard that they’re strugling to find candidates, so much that they run weird schemes such as accepting to vaccinate a young person, if this person brings them 2 older ones (like a referal marketing scheme).

I’ve heard about the possibility of getting a real fake vax certificate, with your name officialy registered in the vaxxed registery (I didn’t inquire much about it.)
Many cities around are strongly against vaccination.

In one village there even was a municipal decree forbidding its inhabitant to get the vax. I’ve also read about clinics being burned and nurses beaten.

I’m pretty sure you can live your life without using masks here, tho you’d be barred entry on some places.
Chiapas has the least amount of restrictions, and the lowest amount of covid "cases" of all Mexican states.
I do recommend this place, anyone coming from the EU will feel much more free. Maybe Florida or Albania are better, I don't know.

Last edited:

SeekingTruth

Kingfisher
So, here are some information on Cancun:

Most people are masked, even outside. Cops saw me a few times maskless on the streets and didn’t care at all. I’ve been able to enter a few small stores (money exchange, cellphone store…) without mask and no issue. Same for taxis and taking a bus.

No masks in my hostel, no social distancing or anything weird, except one staff member who was sometimes wearing a mask.

Big stores like chedraui or bus stations like ADO want to take your temperatures before you enter, tho if you walk a bit fast and say no thanks, you might pass without that. But to do groceries on a regular basis, it’s not really evident.

I wouldn’t recommend Cancun, although it is much better than France, I’m sure there are better options.

Now I’m in San Cristobal De Las Casas, in the state of Chiapas. Here about 40-60% people use masks outside.

Most small stores in the downtown don’t require masks, and the owners don’t wear them neither. But most supermarkets, even the small ones ask for it, tho I’ve been able to force my way into a few times.

I’ve been to the artisanal market with friends, all of us without mask, and many if not most vendors didn’t wear masks.

I also saw a dude maskless in the UPS office too, he had no issue with the staff apparently. I see a lot of people with no masks in buses (the small white “combis”.)
Saw a few cops with no masks.
Some restaurants let you enter with an human face, some don’t, some even want to take your temperature.
I’ve entered 4 different hostels (I was a bit struggling to find a free room, there are many tourists in summer), in only one of them the staff was masked.

Overall, I’d say 50% of stores enforce masks. I’ll go to the gym soon and see how it goes there, in a few days.

It seems most people in my hostel are strongly against covid hysteria and fascisim.
The city is nice and cheap, nice people.

Most people are not vaccinated, their vaccination campaign is still only targeting people from 50 to 59 years. I’ve heard that they’re strugling to find candidates, so much that they run weird schemes such as accepting to vaccinate a young person, if this person brings them 2 older ones (like a referal marketing scheme).

I’ve heard about the possibility of getting a real fake vax certificate, with your name officialy registered in the vaxxed registery (I didn’t inquire much about it.)
Many cities around are strongly against vaccination.

In one village there even was a municipal decree forbidding its inhabitant to get the vax. I’ve also read about clinics being burned and nurses beaten.

I’m pretty sure you can live your life without using masks here, tho you’d be barred entry on some places.
Chiapas has the least amount of restrictions, and the lowest amount of covid "cases" of all Mexican states.
I do recommend this place, anyone coming from the EU will feel much more free. Maybe Florida or Albania are better, I don't know.
I used to travel to Guadalajara often (have a friend that lives there now) but haven’t been since late 2018. Very cool city honestly. There was a gringo area around there called Lake Chapala where you could probably find some like minded people. I mean they left the states to retire due to the flawed system with healthcare, costs of retirement, etc.

You have beaches close by with Puerto Vallarta. Also lesser known beach of Sayulita (although the Instagram crowd started ruining it) in Nayarit. Haven’t spent much time in Nayarit outside of this place, but I’ve heard it’s pretty safe.

Interestingly enough, I was in Mexico when all this junk started up around March 2020. We were watching the news with threats that they were going to block travel back to the states so we left early. Horrible mistake looking back as we say all the time that we wish we would’ve been stuck and then just lived there indefinitely. We missed out on both Guanajuato and San Miguel de Allende.

Last edited:

brotherjimbob

Woodpecker
Here's bad news from Russia...
In Sevastopol (it's in Crimea) since mid-July hotels will accept only the vaxxed (or with positive antibodies test result). They used to accept either the vaxxed or anyone with negative PCR test, but soon it'll be only the vaxxed. I hope it's not a pilot run of what's to come everywhere in Russia...

They're actually considering requiring anyone to be vaxxed to enter Crimea (top tourism region), and some want to expand this to all domestic tourism. Will just lead to bribery system and people staying in private accommodations instead of hotels.

This is one time where CNN is telling the truth...de facto compulsory vaccinations in Moscow region. (RIP Moscow my homeland, not livable anymore)

Bad news from Russia all round...

They declared vaxs mandatory there back in June? IDK how I missed that story, but I did... shocking.

Employers at most service businesses must ensure employees are 60% vaxxed... and that's just another 1/4 turn of the screw...

Easy_C

Peacock
I’m also looking into any avenues for Japan. I get that they’re a very conformist society with the masks and all, but until we can positively confirm or deny what the vaccine does (both intentional and unintentional effects) I regard that as a trivial nuisance by comparison to the Vaccine.

For reference the most recent vax number I have there is 18%

the high

Kingfisher
The only reason Japan's vaxx numbers aren't higher is because the vaccine isn't even available for everyone. They undershipped it there for whatever reason.