Escape From 'The New Normal'?

The only place in SEA that looks possible would be Vietnam. Are you not interested in that one?
No, its a communist hole, paired with xenophobia and lack of long term visa and culture of ownership. If you are single, however, you can have the time of your life there for cheap. I for myself will not return there even though I have friends on the ground.

zetts

Sparrow
No, its a communist hole, paired with xenophobia and lack of long term visa and culture of ownership. If you are single, however, you can have the time of your life there for cheap. I for myself will not return there even though I have friends on the ground.
What's communist about it? Particularly in HCMC it didn't feel like that at all but I'm curious to hear your opinion.

Tippy

Robin

What's good about it if you are single?

Why wouldn't you go back there?

britguy88

Sparrow
My best friend is in Vietnam and she has been there since before the pandemic. She teaches English online and is generally loving life there because she has only had to endure 6 weeks of lockdown total when she was caught out in Da Nang.

They have a zero covid policy and will not be opening their borders to anyone soon, let alone Europeans! The only way in is as a foreign expert, but I don't want to work there and have two weeks quarantine and numerous invasive rods stuck up my nose.

Vietnam doesn't mess around when it comes to locking down and this leaves my friend somewhat uneasy, particularly with Cambodia and Thailand now seeing lots of cases.

On balance, I would rather go west.

Mountaineer

Pelican
Gold Member
They have a zero covid policy and will not be opening their borders to anyone soon, let alone Europeans! The only way in is as a foreign expert, but I don't want to work there and have two weeks quarantine and numerous invasive rods stuck up my nose.

Vietnam doesn't mess around when it comes to locking down and this leaves my friend somewhat uneasy, particularly with Cambodia and Thailand now seeing lots of cases.
This does not bode well for the future. For this reason alone I would not go. You have to go to a country that is incompetent enough and where people generally DGAF.

Last edited:
Portugal has only been in national lockdown since mid January, not 6 months and it's now opened up except for a few municipalities. Not saying all is great here, but where I live the rules have not been strictly enforced and I rarely see any police or enforcement.

Beaches have been open all the time with people sunbathing despite stay at home message. No one seems to care, which has helped!

Has still sucked though and I am in no doubt there will be lockdowns returning this winter, right across Europe, particularly as the vaxx take up won't be as high as they want.

So I am hoping Mexico is an option or somewhere else in Central America. I have given up on Southeast Asia which would be my usual winter escape.
"Only" 3 months, then. It's never gonna stop, sadly. Variants, lockdowns, vaccines and so on and so forth. I bought a property in Setúbal march last year in hopes of moving there when my WAH got approved. Now I have no clue when I'll be able to go. No one is really accepting brazilians worldwide, besides it's rented til the end of the year.

Easy_C

Peacock
One thought:

The only way this whole “new normal” works is if there actually is nowhere to flee to. Otherwise everyone with means and this entire “digital economy” they’re trying to push flees to those places.

Part of that is just what they want you to believe and there’s still plenty of places more normal than the US as is evidence from the posters here. The other part of that is that they will try to make sure there actually isn’t anywhere to run, but their ability to do so is questionable when these days China is an ally that can out-bid the USA, has a better track record of not “spreading democracy” to their allies, and doesn’t require it to legalize woke LGBT things in order to get the help.

What's good about it if you are single?

Why wouldn't you go back there?
Girls. A big big pond to find a wife or gf who will love you. (to what is possible in asia).

It is a communist hole and they care about this health hoax besides eating on roads full of rubbish and rats.

What's communist about it? Particularly in HCMC it didn't feel like that at all but I'm curious to hear your opinion.
I lived in hcmc for a about a year. It has this somewhat nice overlay.
but beneath it is still the communist grip on visa policy, long term planning, welcoming of foreign investment, ownership of anything in particular.
This makes the place highly corrupt.
The hidden xenophobia adds also to the mix.

Pls let me know how well you can own your house and have a long term visa, let alone a permanent residency?
Very typical for communist holes they will welcome the big billy boy pharma guy but not your fella with a few 100k to drop.
Then I revise my view about it and move there again.

Tippy

Robin
Girls. A big big pond to find a wife or gf who will love you. (to what is possible in asia).

It is a communist hole and they care about this health hoax besides eating on roads full of rubbish and rats.

Why do you think that's impossible in Asia?

I know a little bit from Japan but just wondering what you think.

I'm not sure if uprooting your life for an easier dating scene is really worth it, is it?

With women you just need one who is okay. All it takes is one out of millions. Has to statistically be possible even in the hellish West.

I feel like in Asia you have more options and are more popular but is still just as hard to find marriage material.

Why do you think that's impossible in Asia?

I know a little bit from Japan but just wondering what you think.

I'm not sure if uprooting your life for an easier dating scene is really worth it, is it?

With women you just need one who is okay. All it takes is one out of millions. Has to statistically be possible even in the hellish West.

I feel like in Asia you have more options and are more popular but is still just as hard to find marriage material.
Well love in asia has a large utility component, that does not necessarily mean to be bad it depends on ones outlook.
Yes, it is hard to find marriage material as you need to weed out the gringo / gaijin hunter types, which can be done once you have mastered the culture.
You can have an equally nice dating scene in Africa, actually a much better one and mutual understanding is also easier. It is easy to find those who do not like the western cultures.

The west is poisoned by woke lgbt+yxzhdc, medical tyranny, anti white/anti tradition, anti-xyz, feminism so its pretty hard to find sane people.
Asia is just hell bent on this great reset plan crap so it is obviously not for me any more.

Tippy

Robin
Well love in asia has a large utility component, that does not necessarily mean to be bad it depends on ones outlook.
Yes, it is hard to find marriage material as you need to weed out the gringo / gaijin hunter types, which can be done once you have mastered the culture.
You can have an equally nice dating scene in Africa, actually a much better one and mutual understanding is also easier. It is easy to find those who do not like the western cultures.

The west is poisoned by woke lgbt+yxzhdc, medical tyranny, anti white/anti tradition, anti-xyz, feminism so its pretty hard to find sane people.
Asia is just hell bent on this great reset plan crap so it is obviously not for me any more.

Yeah I hear ya. Thing is, the marriage material types in Japan (the traditional ones) are not likely to be interested in a gaijin. Most of the dudes I knew in Japan married to Japanese women were basically married to Japanese who had given themselves a personality transplant to be either an American or British stereotype. And the dudes were accepting enough since attractiveness wise they are higher quality to girls back home. Plus personality wise, they are still Japanese no matter how much they might try to act like they aren't. So it's still an okay deal.

I was in Tokyo which for me was basically like any major city, lots of flaking, most people super busy with work, high levels of neuroticism. I don't know, you might meet someone but I didn't. But who knows if that was me and my own immoral yearnings for sexual gratification over something deeper.

El Draque

Woodpecker
Orthodox
One thought:

The only way this whole “new normal” works is if there actually is nowhere to flee to. Otherwise everyone with means and this entire “digital economy” they’re trying to push flees to those places.

Part of that is just what they want you to believe and there’s still plenty of places more normal than the US as is evidence from the posters here. The other part of that is that they will try to make sure there actually isn’t anywhere to run, but their ability to do so is questionable when these days China is an ally that can out-bid the USA, has a better track record of not “spreading democracy” to their allies, and doesn’t require it to legalize woke LGBT things in order to get the help.

It's a tiny fraction of the population that will up sticks & leave due to social changes like these.

While I agree that this is a global project, therefore global "normalisation" is the goal, I dont think they really care on principle if scattered Digital Nomads scurry off to the far edges of it all.

It's insignificant in the grand scheme of things, certainly where they are currently, which is still a relatively early stage of operations.

The state department is about to put 80% of countries on it's do not travel list. https://www.usatoday.com/story/trav...-state-department-travel-warnings/7295408002/

I don't think this means you won't be able to go to these countries, you're just being advised not to go, someone please correct me if I'm wrong on that (there must be countries on that list currently that you can go to).

They definitely don't want people traveling internationally.

Well, it is May.

It's a tiny fraction of the population that will up sticks & leave due to social changes like these.

While I agree that this is a global project, therefore global "normalisation" is the goal, I dont think they really care on principle if scattered Digital Nomads scurry off to the far edges of it all.

It's insignificant in the grand scheme of things, certainly where they are currently, which is still a relatively early stage of operations.

My fear is that they'd frustrate online payments/transfers, and then it'll be difficult to do that.

Grow Bag

Kingfisher
I just cannot comprehend how people ascent to this, all for a music event.

What possible value could that event offer that would make even the most ardent normie accept & go through this utter degradation?

Truly baffling.

Living under this safe-space Healthcare worshiping dystopia is utterly unconcsionable.

To those that are adamant about 'staying and fighting', how will you hope to navigate this insanity? And it's not about a (no doubt awful) music event, it's about the death of a thousand cuts gaslighting that it will entail.
I was thinking while watching Chelsea football fans demonstrating about the proposed Super League. The police didn't dare get heavy with them, as that would've caused a riot. Stamford Bridge is a relatively small ground, with 40,000 capacity, but if you average capacity at 50,000 and aggregate all the Premier League stadia you'd get at least a million fans. Now just imagine a million+ enraged fans who can't attend their matches on a Saturday, protesting the lockdowns, masks and jab passports. It would totally overwhelm the police force's ability to crowd manage and would create havoc if held in 3 or 4 major cities. This fact was borne out during the 2011 riots.

The media would of course try to frame the protests negatively, but there are enough people who're fed up with the ongoing restrictions, chances are they'd join in and we might get a populist movement that could potentially get the government back-pedaling. A likely scenario is that the government would call a curfew, but the energy would not be so easy to extinguish.