Escape From 'The New Normal'?

JohnQThomas

Woodpecker
The question is at what point is it easier to live as an illegal immigrant elsewhere (with typical shithole factors like common bribing, "special" prices for services and a big black market for work helping you) instead of being imprisoned in your homeland.
Escape your home country and its problems—foremost among which may be illegal immigration—by moving to another country...
as an illegal immigrant?

Brilliant!

Last edited:

Easy_C

Peacock
It's a tiny fraction of the population that will up sticks & leave due to social changes like these.

While I agree that this is a global project, therefore global "normalisation" is the goal, I dont think they really care on principle if scattered Digital Nomads scurry off to the far edges of it all.

It's insignificant in the grand scheme of things, certainly where they are currently, which is still a relatively early stage of operations.
Maybe. But there’s a reason the Berlin Wall went up and it wasn’t “digital nomads” since it went up in the 40s.

Watchman72

Sparrow
I think I'll try Vietnam, just not that easy getting in to. Are gyms and bars open in Vietnam, anyone there right now?
I live in Hanoi.
As far as I know everything is open.
Business as usual but there aren't any tourists.
Very easy to get into the country, but not as a tourist.
You will either need to come here as an investor (5000 USD will do the trick), as a student (take Vietnamese language courses at the university), or as an "expert" (English teacher, holding a university degree).
Multiple PCR tests and a 15 day quarantine are required.
Just go online and sign up for a Vietnamese language course at a university. Tuition will cost about 200 USD per month. The university will take care of the visa.

If you want to come here to teach English and hold a university degree:

Join Vietnamese ESL Facebook groups. Schools are hiring right now. They might be able to take care of the visa and other paperwork.

Watchman72

Sparrow
No, its a communist hole, paired with xenophobia and lack of long term visa […]
Communist in name only.
Xenophobia? This isn't Thailand or China.
I feel very welcome here. Viets are anything but xenophobic.
They are very open to different cultures and languages and they love Americans.
Long-term residence is not difficult to obtain if you know what you want/what you're doing.

Communist in name only.
Xenophobia? This isn't Thailand or China.
I feel very welcome here. Viets are anything but xenophobic.
They are very open to different cultures and languages and they love Americans.
Long-term residence is not difficult to obtain if you know what you want/what you're doing.
Not really. Try banking, money, business, visa, secret police and here it goes. A nice communist utopia. The overlay however is nice and I hope they get rid of all that.

I feel welcome in Thailand and China as well. It's easy especially if you got coin.

They are equally xenophobic like all Asians, except maybe Indonesia.
That is not love that is called Stockholm syndrome and it will make the us pharma with mandated vaxxes very easy. It is also born due to the insane hatred of China, which is their almighty neighbour. So this does not bode well as it is very easy to manipulate the populace.
Why do they worry about the plandemic while they eat on rat / s* infested streets? It makes no sense at all.
I am in Africa, which is in most part much cleaner than Vietnam, but still dirty. And rightfully so, the ordinary people do not care much as one would expect.

You can easily spot the returning tourist ratio which was very low for Vietnam and high for Thailand.

But I do not wanna hate on Nam. If it works for you great, but it is surely a niche.

I just want an easy permanent residency as in Panama/Paraguay etc. I know I will not get one as it is not on the cards there.
Spent time there long enough.
Is it possible to hang on year by year? Yes sure, that is possible but you have 0 security, 0 long term planning ability and it can change quickly.

Tippy

Robin
Not really. Try banking, money, business, visa, secret police and here it goes. A nice communist utopia. The overlay however is nice and I hope they get rid of all that.

I feel welcome in Thailand and China as well. It's easy especially if you got coin.

They are equally xenophobic like all Asians, except maybe Indonesia.
That is not love that is called Stockholm syndrome and it will make the us pharma with mandated vaxxes very easy. It is also born due to the insane hatred of China, which is their almighty neighbour. So this does not bode well as it is very easy to manipulate the populace.
Why do they worry about the plandemic while they eat on rat / s* infested streets? It makes no sense at all.
I am in Africa, which is in most part much cleaner than Vietnam, but still dirty. And rightfully so, the ordinary people do not care much as one would expect.

You can easily spot the returning tourist ratio which was very low for Vietnam and high for Thailand.

But I do not wanna hate on Nam. If it works for you great, but it is surely a niche.

I just want an easy permanent residency as in Panama/Paraguay etc. I know I will not get one as it is not on the cards there.
Spent time there long enough.
Is it possible to hang on year by year? Yes sure, that is possible but you have 0 security, 0 long term planning ability and it can change quickly.

What's your opinion about living in Japan? And also the xenophobia of Japanese?

Tippy

Robin
Japan is on 2 million vaxxed. I just can't see them forcing their citizens to get it.

But globally this is going to be the next hurdle - can they really force people to get it? How long for this carrot and stick approach before they become more authoritarian? Because even in Israel it's still an option. For now and even looking into the future, you can still travel without it. Do we think 2020 will be the last year for that?

The other question is how long they will be able to suppress the side effects of the vaccine coming out. It's pretty clear the worst of the side effects will be in flu season. In the UK they are aiming to offer it to everyone by July and even with the slow roll out in Japan they're talking offering it to all residents by September.

Unfortunately, I can see them keeping it under wraps until the next flu season starts wiping people out which they will also be able to label as covid deaths.

It's a clever plan I'll give them that. Completely evil yes, but it could work.

Zagor

Woodpecker
So far the vaccine has only been approved for emergency and they don't have the legal grounds to mandate an experimental treatment. It's only a paper shield, but still. Once the experimental phase expires though...

Tippy

Robin
So far the vaccine has only been approved for emergency and they don't have the legal grounds to mandate an experimental treatment. It's only a paper shield, but still. Once the experimental phase expires though...

Dark times ahead. I know if I stand with the lord I can face this evil.

To be honest, so many of us are thinking about living these unstable on the run type of lives which don't look appealing to me at all. The new 'normal' world looks worse I guess. Part of me thinks that this new world won't be worth living in either way.

Easy_C

Peacock
Maybe. Keep in mind your average 60s hobo was probably happier and more mentally stable than your typical at the wall “career woman”. In a way we’re better designed to live that way than the way we do in Industrial society

Laner

Hummingbird
Gold Member

Perhaps they don't want it to be approved quite yet. Then they will have to do all the warning labels, and I doubt they want that.

C-Note

Ostrich
Gold Member
What's your opinion about living in Japan? And also the xenophobia of Japanese?
Japan has fairly strict immigration rules. You usually either have to be "sponsored" by an employer or obtain permanent residency via marriage (and it takes awhile). I believe it takes 10 years of residence before you can upgrade your residency status from temporary to permanent, but I'd need to recheck to be sure. I wouldn't say that the Japanese are xenophobic, but they certainly are very ethnocentristic.

AntoniusofEfa

Kingfisher
Japan has fairly strict immigration rules. You usually either have to be "sponsored" by an employer or obtain permanent residency via marriage (and it takes awhile). I believe it takes 10 years of residence before you can upgrade your residency status from temporary to permanent, but I'd need to recheck to be sure. I wouldn't say that the Japanese are xenophobic, but they certainly are very ethnocentristic.
Sounds great. I am all for it.

Tippy

Robin
Yeah I know a fair bit about that because I used to live there. I guess I didn't really value it at the time. Found myself pretty lonely and isolated. Very hard to build meaningful connections there from my experience.

Though I'd take that over stressed and anxious over government overreach on a daily basis any day!

You gotta love how they push the envelope every time. First it was "keep your distance", then it was an arbitrary number of 1.5 or 2 metres, then it was masks and you can take it off when sitting, now it is mask whilst sitting. Furthermore, they say this and that is mandatory, when in actual fact it means you have to get it or you are not allowed to participate in the public space. This is beyond Soviet control. This is full on technocratic dictatorship. I do not think many Asians will protest these measures, as they do not value freedom much. But I think many people are in fact waking up to this bs.

Tippy

Robin
As insane as a lot of the US is right now, people are underestimating how much better our conservative areas and their laws are, and how many conservative areas we have (at least for now). Hanging around better people does wonders for your morale.

Yeah, at a certain point circling back over the same arguments again and again is just exhausting and not good for anyone.

It's become too political. I try not to come across too much like 'well, I'm right and you're wrong!' but I think it does come across that way when I send articles and stuff to try to red pill people.

I can't have another conversation about the virus or argument about whether the virus really is worth having these restrictions or not. By fighting about that, I'm wasting my energy on the wrong battle.