Escape From 'The New Normal'?

Louis IX

Pelican
I had a first hand experience of the Serbian character when crossing their border from Montenegro in mid August last year. The custom officers harassed me to pay 180 euros for unnecessary green card insurance and they stripped my car down looking for something "suspicious". They held me there for five+ hours, insulted me and humiliated me without any provocation from my side.

I have a Croatian friend who had told me about his torture by the Serbs when he was caught by them during the 90s. So I made sure I followed their requests and I kept my mouth shut as they were absolutely no other witnesses at the check point. It was five of them against me. They were just bitter and twisted for no good reason. Later on I wrote to their Interior ministry to file a complaint but I received absolutely no response whatsoever.

A lot of other people I know have reported similar experience when passing through Serbian check points.

The Serbs invented and popularized the awful Chalga music that is now dominant in the Balkans.

Croats, on the other hand, a completely different type of people. Even the Montenegrins are different from the Serbs and more pleasant.

As I have heard it from Serbians themselves, they say: We are born fucked in head!

I think you are a bit too much on this. I have passed through Serbian customs many times in my life and never been mistreated.
Serbs and Montenegrins are almost the same people , most of Montenegrins are Serbs. They are just a bit more relaxed and laid-back because they are bigger "peasants" (in a sense that they are closer to agriculture and a bit less educated).

I think you just met the wrong policemen , a lot of them can be crooked , and they can be elsewhere in Balkans. Maybe you were originating from a country with history of feuds with Serbia ?

One thing you must understand is that Serbs are part of the Eastern civilisation somehow , despite being christians. They ve got a certain aggressive behaviour which you only find in many Muslim countries , coupled with the rudeness of slavic soul.

PS : Of course the Interior Ministry won't answer for that , unfortunately.

SamCru

Chicken
How do you mean it? Is it temporary due to a positive test? Or are you locked there forever? Elaborate please!
Temporary due to a non-optional test that came back positive. Armed gov't agents came to my house a couple of times. I had no choice. I am out now.

Last edited:
For me Any country that enforces face masks lockdowns curfews whatever is not worth living in. Apart from Sweden dont know Any other.issue with Sweden feminist as hell and Cold/boring
We don't have any of that here in New Zealand. Had lockdown for a month last March, but apart from that, life is completely normal here. Not seen a mask for months

I struggle to believe that New Zealand is a sane country. Wouldn't they lock everything down if they found even a handful of cases?
We've had one national lockdown last March. Don't know how many cases we had as I pay literally zero attention to our media. Or international media. But I can't imagine many.

Then I think we've had a regional lockdown for a week or two in Auckland. Which is not a problem for anyone on the sparsely populated south island where I live.

I've worn a muzzle exactly once, for 35min, for a forced flight I had to take. Don't know if the national airline still enforce this. And don't need to fly again for years as I've adjusted my life accordingly since my child was born. I've not seen a muzzle in the city where I live for months and months. There was the odd bout of attention whoring when the whole thing kicked off, with the usual 20 something brainwashed internet addicts wearing it, but no attention was given so the whole thing went nowhere.

Once you turn off the computer, switch off the TV and ignore the full foghorn of 24/7 garbage streaming from the 'news', it's a perfectly sane place to live. Heaps of 'celebrities' (or whatever these lot are called) were/are hiding here.

Just do NOT be poor here. Just don't do it.

rainy

Kingfisher
Only about 10% of Bulgaria has gotten the vax. My mother in law says for the most part no one wears masks unless somewhere like a supermarket. She takes the bus back and forth from the capital to the village and no one has worn masks in months. I'm not surprised.

My longer term goal if my stocks/company does well is to knock down our house in the village in northern BG(it's old with lot of issues and I can't look after it from the states), gut and level the entire property and build a brand new house from scratch with 10 ft concrete walls around the entire perimeter. That will then be my vacation home, potential retirement home down the road and my escape route if SHTF in the west.

And that can be done for about 75-125K USD. Great deal! In Bulgarian villages you can get brand new 4 bed/3 bath homes on an acre for 60-75K USD.

Something like this only all cleaned up on the inside.

Dilated

Woodpecker
Only about 10% of Bulgaria has gotten the vax. My mother in law says for the most part no one wears masks unless somewhere like a supermarket. She takes the bus back and forth from the capital to the village and no one has worn masks in months. I'm not surprised.

My longer term goal if my stocks/company does well is to knock down our house in the village in northern BG(it's old with lot of issues and I can't look after it from the states), gut and level the entire property and build a brand new house from scratch with 10 ft concrete walls around the entire perimeter. That will then be my vacation home, potential retirement home down the road and my escape route if SHTF in the west.

And that can be done for about 75-125K USD. Great deal! In Bulgarian villages you can get brand new 4 bed/3 bath homes on an acre for 60-75K USD.

Something like this only all cleaned up on the inside.

That’s the right idea, man. Bulgaria would be a great place to build a bugout place in the countryside.

If I could get a visa for Bulgaria I would do the same. Bulgaria is a gem. Alas, I’ll be doing this in the upper Midwest USA.

rainy

Kingfisher
That’s the right idea, man. Bulgaria would be a great place to build a bugout place in the countryside.

If I could get a visa for Bulgaria I would do the same. Bulgaria is a gem. Alas, I’ll be doing this in the upper Midwest USA.
Bulgaria is one of the easiest EU countries to get residency. I have it thru marriage but this is what the Chinese are doing.

You can get residency if you invest about 250k Euro in Bulgarian investment funds for a period of 5 years. You can then withdraw your investment. The Chinese are taking out loans for that amount, investing it and then withdrawing and paying the initial loan in full in year 6. And they then have permanent residency at little cost.

magaman

Woodpecker
Bulgaria is one of the easiest EU countries to get residency. I have it thru marriage but this is what the Chinese are doing.

You can get residency if you invest about 250k Euro in Bulgarian investment funds for a period of 5 years. You can then withdraw your investment. The Chinese are taking out loans for that amount, investing it and then withdrawing and paying the initial loan in full in year 6. And they then have permanent residency at little cost.
Now if I was to invest in a Bulgarian property, I wonder if I could get an HVAC job there too. I'd still have to have money coming in after the investment somehow

Dilated

Woodpecker

I looked into their version of the ‘Rentista visa’- where you can get residency if you can prove sufficient funds. The money wasn’t the problem- they told me my investment income wouldn’t count. They wanted social security/pension income.

Maybe the guy at the embassy was full of crap. I may try again. I love Bulgaria- hard to describe but it speaks to me.

Edin

Robin
Yes, Bulgaria is pretty chilled out at the moment but here traditionally people do not trust the government and are very suspicious when they are giving out something for free. This is my hide-out in the mountains at the moment. It costs almost nothing to buy something like that - 10-15K.

bulgaria.jpg

hkhathaj

Woodpecker
Does anybody know how Hungary is doing at the moment?
Luckily Hungary is completely safe: with vaccines we have fought the virus and we won - just by summer we achieved a low case number. Now we are vaxxing 12 year olds and up! In autumn I guess we will vax the remaining age groups down to half year old babys. So if you are looking for a safe haven with good prospects for future then it is Hungary!

Jokes aside Hungary is in a very bad shape. Most people are full into the fear and vax. There are some normal but only a few. Now in the summer there is no mask mandate outside (there was - everywhere outside) but many people are still wearing it in Budapest.

Without vax card you can not book a hotel an apartment and not even a camping site. You can eat on terrace without a vax card but not inside. Number of the vaxxed is higher then EU average because we also bought Chinese and Russian vax. Now everyone could get it who wanted to. 5 389 058 of about 8M in the age group.

Politicians are all full covid vax on left and right. Except the "far right" and "far left" they are both anti-lockdown anti-forced vax but they don't have much chance to get into the parliament.

There is also positive side of our politics: Homosexual propaganda was just banned in schools and under 18 media. That is a big thing. Orbán is still pro-family and somewhat based on the George Soros question.

Hungary is not better than average and maybe even worse. I think corruption will keep Hungary livable for a few more years. Budapest is worst country side is better. I am Hungarian nationalist so I will hold on as long as possible. I also have children and I want them to be raised in Hungary. Some optimists say that some of our "leaders" are becoming red-pilled on the vaccine question and it will be better soon. I hope it but I don't think so.

I took part in a demonstration "for normal life": against vaxx for children, restrictions, discriminations of the unvaxxed. My estimate is that we were about 1000 people. This is all the resistance that we have.

rainy

Kingfisher
Now if I was to invest in a Bulgarian property, I wonder if I could get an HVAC job there too. I'd still have to have money coming in after the investment somehow
In my experience HVAC isn't as common in Bulgaria as elsewhere. And if it were me I'd do everything I could to not be reliant on earning in the local economy unless it's in IT which pays 3-5X the average monthly salary.

Having said that, if generating money from elsewhere you don't need to look at it as earning from a Western perspective. Just 1K USD per month will put you at roughly 3X the local average. You can get creative though if need be. Have a friend there who lives comfortably in Sofia by teaching English during the day and shooting weddings on weekends. A Bulgarian friend is doing well drop shipping. As again if you can generate anywhere near 20-25K USD per year you're set.

MRBR1908

Pigeon
Hmm, well I've been looking at Mexico for closer to the USA, but that's good to know on Bulgaria for Eastern Europe. I've been looking there and Hungary because I've got a good business connection in Budapest (which now doesn't look so good with their vaxx stance). I see some good decent priced Bulgarian property on the Black Seas, and with an MBA I can teach English or Business English for sure maybe local (could do online teaching with a good computer connection), maybe do some remote work of some sort or if I could find a local company needing a "business consultant" to sell to the USA or figure out some online businesses that make a few hundred a month as well I would do just fine. My main issues is I am stuck as an only child with an elderly parent who is pretty much home bound, and doesn't want to leave the USA. Otherwise, I'd have sold everything (which I am still working on) and bugged out.

Viktor Zeegelaar

Pelican
Orthodox Inquirer
Luckily Hungary is completely safe: with vaccines we have fought the virus and we won - just by summer we achieved a low case number. Now we are vaxxing 12 year olds and up! In autumn I guess we will vax the remaining age groups down to half year old babys. So if you are looking for a safe haven with good prospects for future then it is Hungary!

Jokes aside Hungary is in a very bad shape. Most people are full into the fear and vax. There are some normal but only a few. Now in the summer there is no mask mandate outside (there was - everywhere outside) but many people are still wearing it in Budapest.

Without vax card you can not book a hotel an apartment and not even a camping site. You can eat on terrace without a vax card but not inside. Number of the vaxxed is higher then EU average because we also bought Chinese and Russian vax. Now everyone could get it who wanted to. 5 389 058 of about 8M in the age group.

Politicians are all full covid vax on left and right. Except the "far right" and "far left" they are both anti-lockdown anti-forced vax but they don't have much chance to get into the parliament.

There is also positive side of our politics: Homosexual propaganda was just banned in schools and under 18 media. That is a big thing. Orbán is still pro-family and somewhat based on the George Soros question.

Hungary is not better than average and maybe even worse. I think corruption will keep Hungary livable for a few more years. Budapest is worst country side is better. I am Hungarian nationalist so I will hold on as long as possible. I also have children and I want them to be raised in Hungary. Some optimists say that some of our "leaders" are becoming red-pilled on the vaccine question and it will be better soon. I hope it but I don't think so.

I took part in a demonstration "for normal life": against vaxx for children, restrictions, discriminations of the unvaxxed. My estimate is that we were about 1000 people. This is all the resistance that we have.
Great my friend. The gay propaganda has been fierce here in the NL the last days. And with fierce I mean that the intensity and outrage against Hungary has been something that has reached new proportions. The gayness is eveywhere, people in the media where gay ribbons, Hungary bad blabla. Dutch national team gonna play with a gay thing and the Germans cucked completely too of course. Orban by the way cucked out a little bit by saying he's not against homosexuality himself. So that begs the question as much as I appreciate Hungary for being somewhat of a beacon in these matters, what is it really worth? How far down the line are we already if there is this outrage against a law that forbids propaganda for a child to mutilate himself into a psycho mentally ill transgender? And what is it worth as Orban just locks down as hard as other leaders and pushed the vaxx? Just some controlled opposition after all anyway? You tell me ;)

aynrus

Pelican
US just banned airline ticket sales to Belarus, including indirect flights with transfers.
I've been in the woods for over a month, camping and exploring all the nature places in the US I haven't seen yet (no masks anywhere in towns where I come out to resupply, it's been a while since I've seen a mask outside of National parks where some shop employees wore them, in Montana, Idaho, Wyoming, South Dakota). Then, I finally get online after a month, check the news and see this - they're trying to block travel to Belarus. "Free country?"
And pretty shocked to learn people still wear masks in stores, it's like reading about another world, on another planet.
I even hit a mall in Montana to pick up Amazon order from the locker and haven't seen one mask there.

Last edited: