European energy crisis due to war

Caduceus

Ostrich
Germans were not asked if they wanted the euro.
The D-Mark was better for consumers because it was much cheaper to import goods.

Out of all the 20 or so countries that wanted to adopt the euro, only 2 (Sweden and Denmark) were people allowed to vote in referendums on it.
Both of these countries voted NO and kept their own currencies.

The populations of the remaining 19 eurozone countries had no choice in the matter.

Thomas More

Crow
Protestant
Thank you for the numbers, most of us had no choice.

Back to the subject of AdBlue: I wonder if modern diesel engines can be modified to run without it. If it is permanently in short supply and farmers do not have access to it, a way must be found to deal with the situation.
Here's one option I found. Many farmers will have the technical knowledge to do this on their trucks and tractors. Ability to do this will be less common among the general public.

There may be a risk of this being detected in required vehicle inspections though.

Edit: The link shows it is in Turkey, which I didn't notice when I looked at the original website. However, if it is doable at all, then there must be multiple ways to access the necessary code and equipment.

Rocha

Ostrich
Gold Member
This is complete nonsense. The others are leeching from us big time. As soon as we can't pay for the whole thing it will collapse.
We pay the most for this EU nonsense direct and indirect.

Median wealth:

Germany: 60k
Slovenia: 60k
Portugal: 66k
Spain: 104k
Italy: 112k
France: 139k
UK: 141k

Given our strong economy we should be similar to Switzerland has a median wealth of 168k
Where does the discrepency come from, well some are taking advantage of us big time as I said.
What means that medium wealth? No way Portuguese people have more wealth than Germans... One million live in poverty in here.

nordle

Sparrow
Catholic
What means that medium wealth? No way Portuguese people have more wealth than Germans... One million live in poverty in here.
For sure this data is incorrect. Some countries measure wealth not including family home, or not including pensions. In Portugal the home ownership rate is 74%, Germany is 51%. (USA 65%). Germans seem happy to live life as rentoids, dying without a family home left to the next generation.

Arturo80

Sparrow
Orthodox
Keith Woods discusses the imminent destruction of German industry and the likely knock-on effects. Very bleak. He also mentions the Morgenthau Plan for the de-industrialization of Germany.

Keet talks a good game, but gets so much wrong. Most noticeably calling anyone who is vociferously anti COVID injections "schizo". Makes it hard to take him seriously, imho at least

Ember

Hummingbird
Other Christian
Gold Member
Keet talks a good game, but gets so much wrong. Most noticeably calling anyone who is vociferously anti COVID injections "schizo". Makes it hard to take him seriously, imho at least
Do you think what he says in that video is wrong? If yes, point it out. It looked to me like he had researched it pretty well.

cosine

Woodpecker
This is complete nonsense. The others are leeching from us big time. As soon as we can't pay for the whole thing it will collapse.

Median wealth:

Given our strong economy we should be similar to Switzerland has a median wealth of 168k
Where does the discrepency come from, well some are taking advantage of us big time as I said.
Wow. This is one metric I haven't thought about much, and median wealth seems like one of the best indicators of how well typical citizens are doing.

Some others to think about:
US: $93k
Russia: $6k
Ukraine: $5k

I am surprised by Italy and Spain median wealth being that high. People always joke about how Italy is a third-world country and nothing works the way it does in Germanic countries. Spain has rampant youth unemployment.

Also, clearly, the typical Russian and Ukrainian citizen are both comparatively impoverished. The US, Russia, and Ukraine all have some of the worst Gini coefficients aka wealth inequality rankings in the world.

I was surprised by this:

Netherlands Gini coefficient ranking:
2008 - 120th most unequal (of 180 measured countries)
2019 - 1st most unequal

Some of the other countries like Sweden have gone through similar dramatic swings, but that is really frightening. And for a place with such rich history. The Dutch had to build what they have with almost no natural resources. I suppose the migrant waves have really wrecked that place?

Arturo80

Sparrow
Orthodox
Do you think what he says in that video is wrong? If yes, point it out. It looked to me like he had researched it pretty well.

When I say "he gets so much wrong", I'm referring to his track record, especially re COVID and any kind of "conspiracy", which seems happy to dismiss as "schizo".

He talks about it at 27 mins here:

Of course he strawmans it. But in a nutshell if you believe the UN have a depopulation agenda, you're a schizo.

Easy_C

Peacock

Median wealth:

Look at the wealth and power that the rulers have, not the average workers.

Belgrano

Hummingbird
Gold Member

It's all about home ownership. Southern Europeans tend to own their houses, so the property value is part of their net worth. Doesn't necessarily mean that they have more cash in the bank, although I'm sure the savings add up over a few generations if managed shrewdly. Germans tend to rent more.

On top of that, real wages in Germany practically haven't risen since the early 1990s and the fall of the Soviet Union. I guess since the looming threat of an alternative economic and political system was removed, there was no need to share the spoils with the common people anymore. Wages are kept artificially low to make German exports more competitive and give German industry an advantage. Furthermore, HCE is absolutely right with what he wrote about the way Germany benefits from the EU common market and especially the Euro as their artificially undervalued currency. The German economy is cannibalizing the rest of Europe, de-industrializing smaller and weaker countries by undercutting domestic competition and capturing the market for German products, in the process destroying local jobs and value chains, and causing a brain drain in the periphery, attracting young people who have no prospects in the now decimated economies of their home countries. However, the average German does not get to participate in these tremendous profits, which are reserved for the rich elites and the shareholders of German mega-corporations. Germany also has a surprisingly large underclass, mostly unemployed, who basically own nothing and live in government-subsidized pods, as well as a large percentage of migrants who don't really contribute much and need to be bribed with welfare money so they don't cause too much trouble.

Germany is basically a carefully managed beehive that produces a prodigious amount of honey, the average worker bee, however, doesn't have much to its name and is just a small cog fulfilling its purpose in a big machine. They are raised to be content with that lot and not ask too many questions (such as "Hey, where is all the honey going?"). There's a reason why Germany and Japan have always gotten along so well.​

JohnKreese

Pelican
Catholic
Wow. This is one metric I haven't thought about much, and median wealth seems like one of the best indicators of how well typical citizens are doing.

Some others to think about:
US: $93k
Russia: $6k
Ukraine: $5k

I am surprised by Italy and Spain median wealth being that high. People always joke about how Italy is a third-world country and nothing works the way it does in Germanic countries. Spain has rampant youth unemployment.

Also, clearly, the typical Russian and Ukrainian citizen are both comparatively impoverished. The US, Russia, and Ukraine all have some of the worst Gini coefficients aka wealth inequality rankings in the world.

I was surprised by this:

Netherlands Gini coefficient ranking:
2008 - 120th most unequal (of 180 measured countries)
2019 - 1st most unequal

Some of the other countries like Sweden have gone through similar dramatic swings, but that is really frightening. And for a place with such rich history. The Dutch had to build what they have with almost no natural resources. I suppose the migrant waves have really wrecked that place?
This is incorrect:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_countries_by_income_equality

2019, Netherland was 21st in LOWEST inequality

Handsome Creepy Eel

Owl
Catholic
Gold Member
However, the average German does not get to participate in these tremendous profits, which are reserved for the rich elites and the shareholders of German mega-corporations. Germany also has a surprisingly large underclass, mostly unemployed, who basically own nothing and live in government-subsidized pods, as well as a large percentage of migrants who don't really contribute much and need to be bribed with welfare money so they don't cause too much trouble.

Thanks for bringing up this point. Just because I complain about what the German government does doesn't mean I have anything against the German people.

Similarly to how most Americans are pretty nice folks that anyone would be happy to meet, yet their country is a bastion of evil.

cosine

Woodpecker

droughtmeat

Kingfisher
Catholic
Somehow I cant quote previous posts in here. But yea I fully agree about the home ownership thing. Also, houses aren't really cheap to buy in places like Spain or Italy due to their value went rented out to tourists. The Spanish population is concentrated mainly in the coastal and metropolitan areas.

In addition, Germany has a number of cities that are considered undesirable to live in, not because they're not "cool", but because they are completely overrun by migrants and German alcoholics/ drug addicts or there is seemingly no public transport, even internet speeds are lagging and you can't use your phone everywhere because the coverage sucks.

Rocha

Ostrich
Gold Member
For sure this data is incorrect. Some countries measure wealth not including family home, or not including pensions. In Portugal the home ownership rate is 74%, Germany is 51%. (USA 65%). Germans seem happy to live life as rentoids, dying without a family home left to the next generation.
Out of those 74%, 90% of it is still owned by the banks...
Will be interesting to see with the rise of the interest rates, and considering that 93% of mortgages are at variable interest rate... If the number still stands.