European Paganism and their Modern Day LARPer's

JoeChill

Sparrow
European neo-pagans don't really have an understanding of the ancient pagan ways. They don't realize, for example, that "trials by ordeal were a pagan custom" (you can Google that quotation for more information). The Germanic tribes still hung onto their trials by ordeal even after they converted to Christianity. They just replaced invocations of the pagan gods with invocations of Christ during these ordeals. Guilt or innocence was determined by undertaking an ordeal. There were the following types of ordeals: sticking your hand in boiling water, carrying a hot rod, or being placed under water for a specified period of time. Given that Germanic, pagans came up with these silly ideas, how on earth can the "race and race alone" crowd possibly believe that practices originating in European brains are inherently superior to practices that originated in non-European brains? It's very weird.

Dr Mantis Toboggan

Kingfisher
Gold Member
Any religion other than Christianity is evil and a path to hell.

European paganism is strange to me because very little of the religions have survived. (Hinduism which is largely pagan has however.)

We have access to some of the myths but I don't know that the elements of the practice (rituals, sacraments, worship etc) are accessible and I don't know that there is any spiritual depth (positive or negative) among modern practitioners of European paganism.

I'm intrigued by the theory that the ancient pagan gods worshipped by the Greeks, Norse, etc actually did exist at one point and were nephilim or something similar who conned ignorant civilizations into worshipping them as gods.

Solitarius

Sparrow
It might well be that some of the ancient European paganism began as ancestor worship, one can for instance see a resemblance between the names Japheth & Jupiter. Japheth was the progenitor of the European peoples & as such the original tribes descended from him might, over the passage of time gone from venerating him to adoring him. The other gods could have been ancestors, or else devils that appeared, worked prodigies & then demanded worship.

bucky

Ostrich
It might well be that some of the ancient European paganism began as ancestor worship, one can for instance see a resemblance between the names Japheth & Jupiter. Japheth was the progenitor of the European peoples & as such the original tribes descended from him might, over the passage of time gone from venerating him to adoring him. The other gods could have been ancestors, or else devils that appeared, worked prodigies & then demanded worship.
Yes, fascinating stuff. Who knows to what extent certain Indo-European and Semitic deities are memories of the real God the Father and others are memories of real heroes and tyrants who lived just before recorded history. Regardless, I think no more than speculation is possible.

Yes, fascinating stuff. Who knows to what extent certain Indo-European and Semitic deities are memories of the real God the Father and others are memories of real heroes and tyrants who lived just before recorded history. Regardless, I think no more than speculation is possible.
The more one does research into it, the more it becomes evident that satan & his rebellious host's Genesis 6 experiment, their resultant giant/nephilim offspring, the flood, the post flood giants etc. is all very real and true. I can lead you to interesting points of research, but at this point there are just too many facts pointing to evidence of the following in almost all mythologies (North American/ South American/ Greek/ Roman/ Egyptian/ Indian/ Perisian etc): 1) ancient races of giants/megalithic civilizations 2) extremely advanced ancient techologies (obtained from satan and his legions) including UFO like craft 3) devastating wars between these evil creatures using this advanced technology including nuclear weapons 4) common serpent ancestry of all these giants across the globe from South America to India 5) widespread bestiality and corruption of a lot of human and animal DNA with this satanic seed, lots of inter species experiments 6) God wiping all of this out all of this wickedness with the flood (but some giants still emerged post flood, possibly from corrupted human DNA, which implies satanic bloodlines might survive to this day).

02Hero

Robin
I read that some of the old pagan festive habits have been absorbed by modern Christian festivities. For example the decorating tree in Christmas.

I am not religious in the sense that I follow any groups and I find both fascinating. I think both Christianity and paganism have good aspects. Yes that makes me a "heretic".

I do think the (online) LARPing in European paganism has a goal: to slowly re-discover paganism and European tradition. It is the same when you play an educative game to learn. Plus it gives people an identity in a world filled with fake identities created by sneaky marketeers.

There was a lot of critique on modern day Christianity by some of the old pro-paganism German army leaders/generals. They found it a religion for slaves and that it promotes slavish behaviour of people.

I think it is important for Europeans to not lose traditions completely. We all know what killing off traditions does to a people. But also recognise that clearly Christianity has won over paganism. Perhaps by force. But perhaps also by the ideas it instills in people.

Durden347

Robin
This is something I noticed about some of the Alt-Right. There are atheistic groups and Neopagan groups. Many use Christian symbols such as cathedrals as nothing more than objects of Western Culture Worship. They are not true Christians and liken the God of the Bible as nothing more than a Jewish tool. Richard Spencer is one of these people. Also, Lana Lotkeff and Henrik Palmgren from Red Ice TV are Pagans.

I read that some of the old pagan festive habits have been absorbed by modern Christian festivities. For example the decorating tree in Christmas.

I am not religious in the sense that I follow any groups and I find both fascinating. I think both Christianity and paganism have good aspects. Yes that makes me a "heretic".

I do think the (online) LARPing in European paganism has a goal: to slowly re-discover paganism and European tradition. It is the same when you play an educative game to learn. Plus it gives people an identity in a world filled with fake identities created by sneaky marketeers.

There was a lot of critique on modern day Christianity by some of the old pro-paganism German army leaders/generals. They found it a religion for slaves and that it promotes slavish behaviour of people.

I think it is important for Europeans to not lose traditions completely. We all know what killing off traditions does to a people. But also recognise that clearly Christianity has won over paganism. Perhaps by force. But perhaps also by the ideas it instills in people.

Christians sanctified Pagan traditions I think. Preserving all that is good and discarding all that is bad.

bucky

Ostrich
Christians sanctified Pagan traditions I think. Preserving all that is good and discarding all that is bad.
I've never heard it put exactly that way. No idea how true that is, but I like to think it's true. Certainly some pagan ideals were virtuous, and I like the idea someone expressed above that the Sky Father god who appears in all variations of the most ancient Indo-European myths is a memory of the actual God the Father.

I remember a bitterly anti-Christian friend once claiming that Jesus is a mythical figure copied from some ancient Egyptian deity, possibly Osiris (can't remember exactly, don't feel like looking it up). Supposedly this deity had 12 disciples, traveled about with them performing miracles, and so on. I remember thinking that even if that's true, it's likely the other way around, the Egyptian god is probably copied from some corrupted version of an ancient prophecy of Christ.

KulturedKaveman

Pigeon
Orthodox
I remember a bitterly anti-Christian friend once claiming that Jesus is a mythical figure copied from some ancient Egyptian deity, possibly Osiris (can't remember exactly, don't feel like looking it up). Supposedly this deity had 12 disciples, traveled about with them performing miracles, and so on. I remember thinking that even if that's true, it's likely the other way around, the Egyptian god is probably copied from some corrupted version of an ancient prophecy of Christ.

I think it’s more Cain and Abel. The story of Osiris was he was an earth god and he had a wife Isis (the goddess, not those guys) and they had a son Horus, the patron of the Pharaohs. His brother, a desert god called Seth was pissed and killed Osiris by chopping him into little pieces and thew his remains into the Nile. Isis traveled the Nile gathering the cuts of Osiris meat. His wife made him the first mummy and bought him back to life. This is how he became god of the dead.

Here’s where it gets fun: she never found his junk :laughter:. There’s a mythology if you get into the whole “Zeightgheist” thing that she was the Virgin Isis and Horus was virgin born and Christianity is a rebranding. In all reality she just didn’t care about the sex because she was happy to have Osiris back - but Horus was born of natural means and she was abistinate after Osiris’ resurrection. Ignore those who say otherwise.

I think ancient prophets foretold of eternal life and the Egyptians would have heard of Cain and Abel from their slaves and they had their own spin on prehistoric events. We’ll never know the whole truth anyway because we have limited documentation from 800 AD. How much more limited is 1500 BC? This is one of the reasons I’m Christian. Never in any other religion have I seen so many man made explanations for doctrine! Someone doesn’t like our existence.

bucky

Ostrich
I think it’s more Cain and Abel. The story of Osiris was he was an earth god and he had a wife Isis (the goddess, not those guys) and they had a son Horus, the patron of the Pharaohs. His brother, a desert god called Seth was pissed and killed Osiris by chopping him into little pieces and thew his remains into the Nile. Isis traveled the Nile gathering the cuts of Osiris meat. His wife made him the first mummy and bought him back to life. This is how he became god of the dead.

Here’s where it gets fun: she never found his junk :laughter:. There’s a mythology if you get into the whole “Zeightgheist” thing that she was the Virgin Isis and Horus was virgin born and Christianity is a rebranding. In all reality she just didn’t care about the sex because she was happy to have Osiris back - but Horus was born of natural means and she was abistinate after Osiris’ resurrection. Ignore those who say otherwise.

I think ancient prophets foretold of eternal life and the Egyptians would have heard of Cain and Abel from their slaves and they had their own spin on prehistoric events. We’ll never know the whole truth anyway because we have limited documentation from 800 AD. How much more limited is 1500 BC? This is one of the reasons I’m Christian. Never in any other religion have I seen so many man made explanations for doctrine! Someone doesn’t like our existence.
Yes, now I seem to remember that when I looked into it, the supposed similarities between Jesus and Osiris seemed pretty exaggerated. If I recall correctly, Osiris did have something like disciples in the myths about him, but not necessarily twelve of them. There were other things like that, that were quite a stretch.

Pagans keeping up with the Christians. Probably embarrassed by their own Mythology at parts. Gotta modify the cringe bits.

Lawrence87

Woodpecker
Orthodox
Neo paganism to me seems to just be New Age nonsense but directed towards ancient pagan deities as part of the spiritual buffet rather than anything resembling the actual paganism of history.

It's all based on this idea that you can just choose the gods and beliefs that suit you. I doubt anyone truly believes in Thor or Odin (or at least not in the same way the ancients did) but rather that these entities are latched onto as a result of making an idol of oneself. This god appeals to me, therefore I shall decree it worthy of my worship kinda thing...

I wasn't into paganism when I got lost in New Age stuff, but I was certainly guilty of this self idolisation that led to me looking for beliefs that I liked, as though I was the arbitrator of truth.

Durden347

Robin
Christians celebrating Halloween, Christmas, Easter, and a lot of major holidays have Pagan roots. Christmas trees, pumpkins, scary costumes, Valentines Day Cards, etc. have Paganism in them. Also Jesus was not born in the winter.

Cavalier

Sparrow
Yes, now I seem to remember that when I looked into it, the supposed similarities between Jesus and Osiris seemed pretty exaggerated. If I recall correctly, Osiris did have something like disciples in the myths about him, but not necessarily twelve of them. There were other things like that, that were quite a stretch.
The analogies between Osiris and Jesus are largely constructs of the Western Mystery TradItion. It is a lie designed to lead people away from Christ.

Tedd

Pigeon
Here in germany there are tons of self-identified pagans, especially in right-wing circles. I think this is mostly a consequence of anti-christian policies of the DDR. People in eastern germany have no connection to religion anymore.

My strong impression is that in all cases it is not much more then larping. Empty imitation of rituals. And how could it be anything else? There is no continued tradition, no one grows up as a pagan. We don't know what these beliefs even meant to people 1500 years ago. Also all past religions were deeply connected to the world people were living in. Crazy to think it makes you a pagan to live a modern life with 5-9 job and smartphone because you now make a big bonfire from time to time.

Tedd

Pigeon
There is also much hate towards Christianity among pagans here which I find quite ironic given how much they talk about heritage and tradition and honoring your ancestors. All their ancestors for 1500 years believed in Christ.

02Hero

Robin
There is also much hate towards Christianity among pagans here which I find quite ironic given how much they talk about heritage and tradition and honoring your ancestors. All their ancestors for 1500 years believed in Christ.

Yes some older WWII German army generals also talked badly about Christianity. I do get it. Germany's people have been getting the short end of the stick for years. I can understand that people start rebelling against all that is the so called foundation of Germany. Including Christianity.

Look at Germany now. Led by some crazy communist woman into hell. Infested with migrants.

Not saying The Netherlands is better. But a small country like The Netherlands has always had to deal with tidal waves of the world. Germany could be one of the strongest countries in the world. Yet it is rotting from the inside out.

Luke22

Chicken
I've never heard it put exactly that way. No idea how true that is, but I like to think it's true. Certainly some pagan ideals were virtuous, and I like the idea someone expressed above that the Sky Father god who appears in all variations of the most ancient Indo-European myths is a memory of the actual God the Father.

I remember talking about this long ago with a friend who is an apologist and he sent me this.

It's Lutheran and the "comedy" is questionable, but the info is good.