European Paganism and their Modern Day LARPer's

Here in germany there are tons of self-identified pagans, especially in right-wing circles. I think this is mostly a consequence of anti-christian policies of the DDR. People in eastern germany have no connection to religion anymore.

My strong impression is that in all cases it is not much more then larping. Empty imitation of rituals. And how could it be anything else? There is no continued tradition, no one grows up as a pagan. We don't know what these beliefs even meant to people 1500 years ago. Also all past religions were deeply connected to the world people were living in. Crazy to think it makes you a pagan to live a modern life with 5-9 job and smartphone because you now make a big bonfire from time to time.

I think in that case they are attempting to reconstruct paganism and therefore create new traditions.

Neo paganism to me seems to just be New Age nonsense but directed towards ancient pagan deities as part of the spiritual buffet rather than anything resembling the actual paganism of history.

It's all based on this idea that you can just choose the gods and beliefs that suit you. I doubt anyone truly believes in Thor or Odin (or at least not in the same way the ancients did) but rather that these entities are latched onto as a result of making an idol of oneself. This god appeals to me, therefore I shall decree it worthy of my worship kinda thing...

I wasn't into paganism when I got lost in New Age stuff, but I was certainly guilty of this self idolisation that led to me looking for beliefs that I liked, as though I was the arbitrator of truth.

Its not just a spiritual buffet. But it is restricted based on your own Ethnicities. To worship only the Gods that one's own blood worships and sticking to that. It is very connected to the notion of racial purity.

Lawrence87

Woodpecker
Orthodox
Its not just a spiritual buffet. But it is restricted based on your own Ethnicities. To worship only the Gods that one's own blood worships and sticking to that. It is very connected to the notion of racial purity.

Yeah this is true, but it's also my experience that many people who call themselves pagan also have Buddha statues, dream catchers, read the Bhagavad Gita and so forth. I haven't had much experience of the kinds of pagans you mention

JoeChill

Sparrow
Christians celebrating Halloween, Christmas, Easter, and a lot of major holidays have Pagan roots. Christmas trees, pumpkins, scary costumes, Valentines Day Cards, etc. have Paganism in them. Also Jesus was not born in the winter.
With all due respect, I'm not certain that's entirely true. Halloween arose from All Saints Day (which didn't have any pagan origins). Much of the "Halloween is pagan" stuff was propaganda made up by anti-Irish types and Christian Fundamentalists.

More detail in this video

Last edited:

Dr Mantis Toboggan

Kingfisher
Gold Member
Yes, now I seem to remember that when I looked into it, the supposed similarities between Jesus and Osiris seemed pretty exaggerated. If I recall correctly, Osiris did have something like disciples in the myths about him, but not necessarily twelve of them. There were other things like that, that were quite a stretch.

Yeah and I mean "deity (whether real or fake) having disciples/followers" isn't exactly a stretch to begin with.

Yeah this is true, but it's also my experience that many people who call themselves pagan also have Buddha statues, dream catchers, read the Bhagavad Gita and so forth. I haven't had much experience of the kinds of pagans you mention

I think you have the left wing pagan, "spiritual but not religious" types who are often into witchcraft etc, and then the right wing racial pagan types who often identify with Norse or pre-Christian Germanic gods and the like. In the case of the latter I don't think they actually believe those gods exist per se but their "worship" of them is really a form of narcissistic racial self-worship.

JoeChill

Sparrow
In Varg Vikernes' review of The Wicker Man, he goes so far as to claim that the nun vocation was invented by enemies of Europeans to sterilize European women. It's funny that he has such strong words against the nun vocation, but doesn't consider the pagan practice of vestal virgins (very similar to nuns). Did enemies of the European people invent the idea of "vestal virgins" to sterilize White women? He lets his hatred of Christianity blind him to reality. I also think he's wrong to suggest that the concept of nuns came from May Queens, I really think that it probably arose from the vestal virgin idea.

Attachments

• varg_scholar.gif
    varg_scholar.gif
    413.9 KB · Views: 4

02Hero

Robin
Do you think this is wrong?

Looking at immigration issues arising, especially when done so in large amounts it is not a weird thing to cultivate.

To me it seems it is a Jewish idea that a random group of people can just go anywhere and *should* be accepted by the host country. Or because they are of God.

Reality is different from my experience. In my experience in other countries close-knit, safe communities tend to also be more racist and less accepting of foreigners. Especially if they are in groups.

KulturedKaveman

Pigeon
Orthodox
We don't know what these beliefs even meant to people 1500 years ago. Also all past religions were deeply connected to the world people were living in. Crazy to think it makes you a pagan to live a modern life with 5-9 job and smartphone because you now make a big bonfire from time to time.
Not just that we only know the faith practices of the kings and warriors. Nobody is really sure how the germanic tribesman farmer practiced his religion.

Wutang

Hummingbird
Gold Member
Neo paganism to me seems to just be New Age nonsense but directed towards ancient pagan deities as part of the spiritual buffet rather than anything resembling the actual paganism of history.

It's all based on this idea that you can just choose the gods and beliefs that suit you. I doubt anyone truly believes in Thor or Odin (or at least not in the same way the ancients did) but rather that these entities are latched onto as a result of making an idol of oneself. This god appeals to me, therefore I shall decree it worthy of my worship kinda thing...

I wasn't into paganism when I got lost in New Age stuff, but I was certainly guilty of this self idolisation that led to me looking for beliefs that I liked, as though I was the arbitrator of truth.

This is pretty much the case. It seems like the majority of pagan LARPers explicitly state that they only see the pagan gods as archetypes or as the personification of ideals they admire. Instead of God creating men it's men creating gods or "Making an idol of oneself" as you stated. It's the sort of self-worship men have always wanted to engage in until the arrival of Christianity. In Christianity humans have value because they are created in the image of God while in both paganism and secular humanism this is reversed - any sort of thing that is good is good only because humans think it's good. There was an ancient Greek philosopher who said "Man is the measure of all things" - this is the credo that both pagans and modern secular man lives by.

Do you think this is wrong?

Looking at immigration issues arising, especially when done so in large amounts it is not a weird thing to cultivate.

To me it seems it is a Jewish idea that a random group of people can just go anywhere and *should* be accepted by the host country. Or because they are of God.

Reality is different from my experience. In my experience in other countries close-knit, safe communities tend to also be more racist and less accepting of foreigners. Especially if they are in groups.

I don't think preserving natural integrity and being selective about immigration has to involve idolatry.

That is a self-destructive path to take regardless of good intentions.