Exciting Hunting News

EntWife

Robin
Woman
He had called me after shooting it, but they still had to check it in, cut it up, etc. When he got home, he told me more about it.

He said the gun was too heavy for him, so he rested it on the windowsill of the hunting cabin. He shot it one time, through the heart, and it immediately dropped. I thought that was really good, especially for a kid who can't even call himself a "preteen" yet. He was very proud of himself and happy that the deer didn't suffer.

My dad and brother have been saying that he's a good shot, but I was afraid that he would get too excited and just wound the deer, and they'd have to track it down and shoot it again (necessary to end the deer's suffering). I didn't say anything about it because I didn't want to make him nervous. Apparently, he kept his head and did a great job. Very good sign as to what kind of man he is going to become.

Luna Novem

Kingfisher
Woman
Good job, buddy! I'm not sure if/when my son will get to that... my husband has never hunted. He'd like to, he just hasn't made room for it in his life at this point.

EntWife

Robin
Woman
Good job, buddy! I'm not sure if/when my son will get to that... my husband has never hunted. He'd like to, he just hasn't made room for it in his life at this point.
My husband's not a hunter either. Fortunately, my dad and one of my brothers are crazy about it. Good thing, since my son likes it. He's a true hillbilly, I guess.

Do you have any family members who hunt and who could be trusted to take your son hunting? Your state may also have an organization that matches new hunters up with experienced hunters to learn the tricks of the trade. In that case, of course your husband would have to make time to go as well, since you wouldn't send your son off with a stranger.

Edit: Forgot to say thanks! I've been passing along the congrats to my son.

Last edited:

EntWife

Robin
Woman
At the risk of alienating you. I think it is only sporting if the deer hold rifles or bows as well.
You might have a point if we could eat their food supply like they eat our gardens and bushes.

Hunters are necessary to keep deer from entirely overrunning everything. Deer overpopulation is also bad for woodlands. Some government agency has, I think, dropped off black bears around my state. However they got here, there are more black bears now than there used to be, but not enough to take care of the deer problem.

We need more hunters.

EntWife

Robin
Woman
Haha, don't give him any ideas! The recoil from a gun powerful enough to send a bullet through bear fat would really bruise his little shoulder!

He wants me to tell everyone that he kept the antlers. (On the porch! I won't allow them in the house. You can still see pink on the inside of the piece of the skull they're attached to, gross!) He also kept the shell from the bullet he shot it with.

I wonder if there's some place we can send the antlers to to be polished and put on a plaque? That wouldn't be gross, like having them attached to a piece of the skull cut out of the deer's head is.

Deepdiver

Crow
Gold Member
LOL - I originally saw it with some of the hunting honeys ladies on the hunting channel.

Well the more feminine lipstick oriented ones.

EntWife

Robin
Woman
I originally saw it with some of the hunting honeys ladies on the hunting channel.

Well the more feminine lipstick oriented ones.
So they're doing it for attention on TV. Not surprising. In other words, they aren't into hunting (I don't blame them for that, I'm not either), but they want attention from hunters.

EntWife

Robin
Woman
Now that I'm thinking about it, there are probably some hillbilly women who decorate deer antlers. Sort of a craft thing, ya know. It is, at least, a plentiful material in Appalachia. LOL

Last edited:

Kona

Crow
Gold Member
Aren't you supposed to get the whole head taxidermied? The taxidermist puts replica antlers on.

I thought you keep the antlers to click together when hunting to attract more deers? Your first antlers are the lucky ones you use your entire life.

Although in your area that may also attract bears, which are a concerrn of mine.

Aloha!

Luna Novem

Kingfisher
Woman
My husband's not a hunter either. Fortunately, my dad and one of my brothers are crazy about it. Good thing, since my son likes it. He's a true hillbilly, I guess.

Do you have any family members who hunt and who could be trusted to take your son hunting? Your state may also have an organization that matches new hunters up with experienced hunters to learn the tricks of the trade. In that case, of course your husband would have to make time to go as well, since you wouldn't send your son off with a stranger.

Edit: Forgot to say thanks! I've been passing along the congrats to my son.
I don't have any family who hunt. I think the best bet, ultimately, will be a friend of his.

Mrs.DanielH

Robin
Woman
Orthodox
Haha, don't give him any ideas! The recoil from a gun powerful enough to send a bullet through bear fat would really bruise his little shoulder!

He wants me to tell everyone that he kept the antlers. (On the porch! I won't allow them in the house. You can still see pink on the inside of the piece of the skull they're attached to, gross!) He also kept the shell from the bullet he shot it with.

I wonder if there's some place we can send the antlers to to be polished and put on a plaque? That wouldn't be gross, like having them attached to a piece of the skull cut out of the deer's head is.
A taxidermist can mount just the antlers. My dad has a few sets of those hanging up in his house. I also kept the shell from the first deer I shot. I keep it with my first hunting license and a pocketknife in a little keepsake box. Congrats to your son!