Exercise thread

Leeloo

Woodpecker
Woman
Catholic
What does everyone do for physical activity or to stay in shape? Curious if you have a routine or if just day to day things you do keep you active, or any particular physics hobbies that you’re into?

Personally, I’ve been active most of my life in various ways (gym, dance, gymnastics/cheer, body weight exercise, weights, cardio, bicycling, kick boxing, walking, hiking, HIIT)- Ive tried lots of different forms of exercise, usually going through phases and moving to something new when something gets bland.

The last couple years, I wasn’t able to be active due to health reasons, but I’m getting back into activity slowly, in order to get back where I should be. I’d be interested to hear how you ladies pursue fitness so we can share and support, and possibly motivate each other!!

Besides a daily walk, I’m about 2 weeks into this routine, to get back some of the basic muscle strength that I’ve lost (yes, it’s from Pinterest):

Attachments

• 0AADABBA-DE30-4DEA-B81E-08F48C00ABE3.jpeg
    0AADABBA-DE30-4DEA-B81E-08F48C00ABE3.jpeg
    413.6 KB · Views: 46

Leeloo

Woodpecker
Woman
Catholic
I also want to add that I realize that the above posted workout is by no means comprehensive. I have added my own stretching and some days I’ll throw in a few more muscle group areas that the photo doesn’t cover (tricep dips, mountain climbers, and stair exercises to hit the hamstrings). Trying to keep it fresh and have a good total body energizer for a few minutes per day.

Kitty Tantrum

Kingfisher
Woman
Catholic
I was pretty overweight from my later teen years until after I had my last babeh. My dad had some weird dogmatic ideas about food and no real grasp of nutrition, so I had a weird relationship with food for a while. I went on a BAKING BENDER when I got married the first time and my ex and I both got chunky for a little while.

I've always been fairly sedentary, in spite of the fact that I love doing things - and I recently found out that this is really common for people who have severe hypermobility like I do. Even if we don't KNOW we're defective, we instinctively modify our behavior to protect our joints, tendons, ligaments, etc.

When I first started getting in shape, I wanted to jump right into doing Jillian Michaels' "30-Day Shred" because it looked like a good format for me (and it is), but I couldn't do it right away because of the jumping jacks. Made my knees hurt like crazy in weird not-good ways. She's like "I'VE GOT 400 POUND PEOPLE DOING JUMPING JACKS, SO CAN YOU" - and I'm like "NO LADY I AM SORRY SHUT UP."

So I started out with water aerobics and cycling! Then when I'd lost some pounds of fat and gained a few pounds of muscle to support the joints that had been giving me trouble before, I tried the 30-Day Shred program and it worked great for me to get most of the way to where I wanted to be really quickly, and to establish the habit of exercising without having to think about it too much. I've never been coordinated or interested enough for any of those "dance" exercise programs. I like Jillian Michaels because she just yells at you to keep doing reps and tells you when to change to something else.

I got into running for a little while. That was really fun to do in fairly short spurts at the height of my fitness - but I've got a ways to go if I want to be able to run again. I'm not attached to the idea, because even though it was FUN, running on a regular basis gave me big ol' quad muscles really fast and I didn't like that.

Most of my weight maintenance is just walking. I love walking. After I'd slimmed down and my knees weren't an issue, I was walking anywhere from 5-15 miles pretty much every single day. It was glorious. No car, no problem. :)

I need to get in shape again, for sure! Being sick for years made me fat again. (Or... being sick made me make myself fat again, if you want to split hairs. :squintlol:)

Luna Novem

Kingfisher
Woman
Catholic
I avoid physical activity like the plague tbh. I'm super sedentary by nature. I was a very bookwormy child, and forced P.E. classes were the bane of my existence. There is not a single sport that I enjoy. Walking is okay but now I have arthritis in my hips, so I can only go about a mile before they start screaming at me.

PVW

Sparrow
Woman
Protestant
I used to do aerobics then dance classes when I was younger then became was a five day per week gym rat for years. I developed my own routine of stretches, weights and cardio machines. Once the gym shut down I got my own exercise machine. I have an exercise mat I bought years ago but hardly used and some free weights. So I've replicated as best I could my gym routine five days per week at home and it's been fantastic.

Ah_Tibor

Pelican
Woman
Orthodox
I walk at least a mile or more every day. We live in town and it's all hills, but everything is fairly walkable. I can walk to the library, post office, some restaurants, etc. (Also the grocery store but we do most of our big shopping at Aldi, which is a 15 minute drive. Local supermarket is for little or branded stuff.)

I'm also on my feet at work so I move around a lot. When I hit puberty I gained some weight but got rid of it just by cutting out sweets, eating less, and walking. I also did sit-ups while watching TV.

I didn't have an issue losing weight after being pregnant. We'll see how it goes for the next one, though.

infowarrior1

Peacock
Protestant
I was pretty overweight from my later teen years until after I had my last babeh. My dad had some weird dogmatic ideas about food and no real grasp of nutrition, so I had a weird relationship with food for a while. I went on a BAKING BENDER when I got married the first time and my ex and I both got chunky for a little while.
Breastfeeding seems to burn calories:

Kitty Tantrum

Kingfisher
Woman
Catholic
I think that stopped me from getting fatter, but I actually wasn't able to lose weight easily until after the last one was completely done nursing. Then I lost 10-15 lbs really quickly. Weird.

infowarrior1

Peacock
Protestant
I think that stopped me from getting fatter, but I actually wasn't able to lose weight easily until after the last one was completely done nursing. Then I lost 10-15 lbs really quickly. Weird.

Must be the body slowing down metabolism in response. We are still adapted to feast and famine it seems.

Also click reply so I can get notification unless that is your intention.

Starlight

Kingfisher
Woman
Protestant
I never really “worked out” growing up as I was always doing ballet 15+ hours a week and then some other sport like basketball, swim team, volleyball, cheer, etc. After high school, I took up cycling, camping/backpacking/hiking, and running and continued that until my last baby which was an emergency c-section. I had a really hard long recovery and am just now starting to get my lower abdominal strength back. Since then, I’ve fallen in love with the kettle bell which has helped a lot with my core strength but I still have a long way to go. I was able to get back into shape fairly easy after my first three but this last one has been harder. I still get weird nerve pain/sensations when I do abdominal exercises so it’s challenging to push myself.

So my main exercise is to just be active. I bike and walk a lot (I’m lucky that my neighborhood is very walkable/bikable) and try to do my kettle bell routine about 3x a week.

I never lost any weight while breastfeeding either. It wasn’t until after I weaned my babies that the extra weight fell off. I had really strong dopamine responses when my babies would nurse (like I’d fall asleep lol) and definitely had the cozy hormones going lol

Last edited:

Lamkins

Woodpecker
Woman
Protestant
I avoid physical activity like the plague tbh. I'm super sedentary by nature. I was a very bookwormy child, and forced P.E. classes were the bane of my existence. There is not a single sport that I enjoy. Walking is okay but now I have arthritis in my hips, so I can only go about a mile before they start screaming at me.

This is me. It was with great delight I realized PE was optional in high school. I have back issues and try to walk when I can, but it’s not easy. I don’t like to sweat, don’t like to be hot, don’t like to huff and puff.....I’m a slug. Actually, I’m more like a houseplant.

The only sport I enjoyed was roller skating. I was actually good at that. I decided a couple of years ago to start skating again to get some exercise and promptly fell and broke my shoulder (thankfully in the privacy of my garage). My skates are in the closet patiently awaiting the return of my courage.

Leeloo

Woodpecker
Woman
Catholic
Must be the body slowing down metabolism in response. We are still adapted to feast and famine it seems.

I’ve found that Intermittent Fasting really helps reset your body in tune with the ‘feast or famine’ natural cycle.
In a culture where we are used to having food availability and variety 24/7, I.F. is helpful in retraining yourself into being used to going longer periods without expectating nourishment and maximizing metabolism during peak active hours.

Kitty Tantrum

Kingfisher
Woman
Catholic
I still get weird nerve pain/sensations when I do abdominal exercises so it’s challenging to push myself.
This is what happens to me with my SI joint, and sometimes other spots further up my spine. It's frustrating because I've been reassured over and over and over that there is nothing immediately "wrong" in there anymore, and that these are just residual/errant nerve signals in response to normal movement - but it's still SO HARD to push through it. :(

But apparently pushing through it is exactly what I should be doing, because that's what will help to "rewire" the neural pathways to respond more normally. My doctors and physical therapists like to tell me to suck it up. :p:blush:

Lamkins

Woodpecker
Woman
Protestant
I’ve found that Intermittent Fasting really helps reset your body in tune with the ‘feast or famine’ natural cycle.
In a culture where we are used to having food availability and variety 24/7, I.F. is helpful in retraining yourself into being used to going longer periods without expectating nourishment and maximizing metabolism during peak active hours.

You know, I’ve lost 8 pounds from not eating due to some rough times lately. I’ve noticed I’m getting a lot more comfortable with being empty and even actively hungry. I hope to parlay this into an IF routine eventually.

Luna Novem

Kingfisher
Woman
Catholic
This is me. It was with great delight I realized PE was optional in high school. I have back issues and try to walk when I can, but it’s not easy. I don’t like to sweat, don’t like to be hot, don’t like to huff and puff.....I’m a slug. Actually, I’m more like a houseplant.

The only sport I enjoyed was roller skating. I was actually good at that. I decided a couple of years ago to start skating again to get some exercise and promptly fell and broke my shoulder (thankfully in the privacy of my garage). My skates are in the closet patiently awaiting the return of my courage.
Oh, gosh, I never even learned roller skating. I'd hold onto the wall if I went; or I'd leave the rink and go onto the carpet and pretend I had important business to do, like stand with a friend while she bought snacks or something.

Kitty Tantrum

Kingfisher
Woman
Catholic
I love roller skating more than is reasonable, but have always had terrible problems with the boots on the skates, like bleeding blisters and pain for days sometimes, depending on the skates. Someday I hope to be able to make or modify skate boots to do right by my weird feet. :)

dragonfire00

Robin
Woman
Protestant
I am around 1 year postpartum and I really want to get back into running- tried at 4 months postpartum and had issues with my hips (that I now believe is more of my pelvic floor and radiates elsewhere) so I stopped. I still walk and try and hike once a week. I think my way forward is to do biking, a gym membership for swimming (finally ours dont require masks! yay!) and running. Also yoga- I used to find it cringy for the religious and meditation aspects but I do like that it promotes joint mobility and stretching so I'm waking up and doing 15 minutes in the morning and want to do classes for that too.

Lamkins

Woodpecker
Woman
Protestant
I love roller skating more than is reasonable, but have always had terrible problems with the boots on the skates, like bleeding blisters and pain for days sometimes, depending on the skates. Someday I hope to be able to make or modify skate boots to do right by my weird feet. :)

I was nuts for it too. Maybe because it was the only sport I did well, but I think it’s that it was just so much fun, as if you were flying. People don’t realize what a great workout it is too. I went to the rink a couple of times before I broke my shoulder. The air keeps you cool as your skating, even very slowly, so it’s only once you stop that you realize what a workout it is and how sweaty you are.

Starlight

Kingfisher
Woman
Protestant
I was nuts for it too. Maybe because it was the only sport I did well, but I think it’s that it was just so much fun, as if you were flying. People don’t realize what a great workout it is too. I went to the rink a couple of times before I broke my shoulder. The air keeps you cool as your skating, even very slowly, so it’s only once you stop that you realize what a workout it is and how sweaty you are.
Eulogy for a Roller Rink
by Starlight

We used to have a great roller rink
here years ago
(so much fun) racing, holding hands,
chasing, gangs started
meeting up there and
stabbing each other. So
it shut down.
Diversity is our strength. Now
there is no roller rink.

Last edited:

Leeloo

Woodpecker
Woman
Catholic
I attempted my rollerblades during 2020 quarantine for the first time in 20 years. Had some wine, got all padded up, rolled down my slanted driveway, lost complete control, landed in a heap at the bottom, somehow got scraped up even with all the safety gear... aannnd I haven’t attempted it again since. Good idea in thought.
Maybe next time, no wine. Or declining surfaces.