Exercise thread

Leeloo

Woodpecker
Woman
Catholic
You know, I’ve lost 8 pounds from not eating due to some rough times lately. I’ve noticed I’m getting a lot more comfortable with being empty and even actively hungry. I hope to parlay this into an IF routine eventually.

I think it will be easier than you think. Most IF’ers find that they stay un-hungry during their eating window, so you do have to make sure you’re actually getting enough calories.
I started it in September, took about a week to adjust and a few months to lose, but altogether I’m down 20 lbs and counting. I started 12 hours and then to 16, and some days I could do a day or two with just liquids, which is a great cleanse. It helps you focus in prayer as well.
I use an app called Zero, which is great. Let me know if you get serious about it.
I hate to be one of those “you HAVE to try my diet, it’s so great, it worked for MEEEE” people, but I’ve found only benefits and have truly never felt better.

Starlight

Kingfisher
Woman
Protestant
This is my little workout routine I do a few times a week. It’s in a Tabata HIIT style (20 seconds hard exercise/10 seconds rest). I do each exercise twice and each set once except Set 4 which I repeat on. It adds up to about 24 minutes (1 minute rest between sets). I find using a Tabata app makes the timing much easier. I think this is a pretty well-round workout but I’d be happy for any suggestions.

Set 1 Warm-up (4 minutes)
- jog in place
- jumping jacks
- butt kicks
- high knees

1 minute rest

Set 2 (4 minutes)
- skater jumps
- heisman
- burpees
- mountain climbers

1 minute rest

Set 3 (4 minutes)
- elbow plank
- spiderman plank
- elbow side plank dips left side
- elbow side plank dips right side

1 minute rest - Get kettlebell ready

Set 4 (4 minutes) x2
- dead lift
- goblet squat to overhead press
- kettle swing
- Russian twist

If I have time and feel like doing more arms I’ll do a single arm row set, 1 minute (20sec on/10sec off) for each arm.

Cool down is various stretches.

Lamkins

Woodpecker
Woman
Protestant
I think it will be easier than you think. Most IF’ers find that they stay un-hungry during their eating window, so you do have to make sure you’re actually getting enough calories.
I started it in September, took about a week to adjust and a few months to lose, but altogether I’m down 20 lbs and counting. I started 12 hours and then to 16, and some days I could do a day or two with just liquids, which is a great cleanse. It helps you focus in prayer as well.
I use an app called Zero, which is great. Let me know if you get serious about it.
I hate to be one of those “you HAVE to try my diet, it’s so great, it worked for MEEEE” people, but I’ve found only benefits and have truly never felt better.

I’ve tried it in the past and liked it (Not long enough to lose). I was having problems planning my meals/hunger. For instance, I’d not be hungry at 4 with 5 as my evening cut-off then be really hungry by 6 when I couldn’t eat. That sort of thing. But it really seems like a plan I could stick to for life. The Daily Connoisseur on YouTube lost all of her 4-babies’ weight doing it. I’ve been watching her videos along with the people she suggests.

Ill check out Zero, thanks. I need the help with tracking.

Shedlight11

Sparrow
Woman
Other Christian
What does everyone do for physical activity or to stay in shape? Curious if you have a routine or if just day to day things you do keep you active, or any particular physics hobbies that you’re into?

Personally, I’ve been active most of my life in various ways (gym, dance, gymnastics/cheer, body weight exercise, weights, cardio, bicycling, kick boxing, walking, hiking, HIIT)- Ive tried lots of different forms of exercise, usually going through phases and moving to something new when something gets bland.

The last couple years, I wasn’t able to be active due to health reasons, but I’m getting back into activity slowly, in order to get back where I should be. I’d be interested to hear how you ladies pursue fitness so we can share and support, and possibly motivate each other!!

Besides a daily walk, I’m about 2 weeks into this routine, to get back some of the basic muscle strength that I’ve lost (yes, it’s from Pinterest):
I really love to roller skate or bike ride because it doesn't really feel like a workout, but it is. Walking with girlfriends is another thing I love to do!

I feel like "going hard" and weight lifting didn't really work for me. Not sure what your goals are, but for me personally low impact workouts and clean eating work best!

Not sure if this was helpful.

Vigilant

Kingfisher
Woman
Protestant
Anybody know if there's an exercise I can do to sculpt my elbows a little bit? They are very pointy.
You made me look this up and I did not find any exercise for it, only surgery and radio frequency.

"EVEN JUST READING A BOOK CAN CAUSE AN ELBOW CONDITION.

While you may be tempted to read that latest hefty bestseller late into the night, if you're keeping your elbows bent in a sitting position for too long, you can get a case of ulnar neuritis, inflammation of the ulnar nerve—which can lead to numbness or weakness of the fingers and hand. Bergin warns, "It's much more common now than it used to be because we sit around for hours at a time on our phones." If you experience a "little tingly feeling in the pinky and fourth finger," she says, you've probably got a case. Her recommendation is to take as many breaks with your arms straight out as you can. Switch to a kindle or laptop that you can prop up to read at night. Be conscious of your ergonomics when you drive, type, and use your electronics."

Vigilant

Kingfisher
Woman
Protestant
What does everyone do for physical activity or to stay in shape? Curious if you have a routine or if just day to day things you do keep you active, or any particular physics hobbies that you’re into?

Personally, I’ve been active most of my life in various ways (gym, dance, gymnastics/cheer, body weight exercise, weights, cardio, bicycling, kick boxing, walking, hiking, HIIT)- Ive tried lots of different forms of exercise, usually going through phases and moving to something new when something gets bland.

The last couple years, I wasn’t able to be active due to health reasons, but I’m getting back into activity slowly, in order to get back where I should be. I’d be interested to hear how you ladies pursue fitness so we can share and support, and possibly motivate each other!!

Besides a daily walk, I’m about 2 weeks into this routine, to get back some of the basic muscle strength that I’ve lost (yes, it’s from Pinterest):
:DI really like that figure in your attachment, however I am at odds with it being on a Christian forum. Just saying ;)

Vigilant

Kingfisher
Woman
Protestant
I started out in dance, but when I became converted to Christ, the dancing became more and more inconsistent over the years, as it was not a wholesome type of dancing, so I replaced it with walking. I walk twice daily in the sunlight, without sunglasses, as much as possible.

My body is left to walking-works, so my mind can ponder or just rest in God's creation, through the forest. I love seeing the Red "Cardigans", as I like to call them, flying around blazing busily.
I notice little creatures imagining them worshiping the Lord, and some groaning from the bad stewardship of His good earth. Every time I see a dead creature, I am saddened for that moment. If I see an animal that needs help, I immediately pray for it, and at times I have been blessed to have seen the fruits of these prayers been granted. My prayers are quite simple, to the point, kind of childlike.

Around 20% of all creatures, including humans have a gene for hypersensitivity, and I think they may have been designed to be, "the canary in the coal mine", to benefit normie types. I have to balance being gregarious with solitude, otherwise I go into overdrive.o_O

With that [edit] love of animals mind, I realize that the killing of biblically edible creatures is God's provision, reminding me of His sacrifice to be enjoyed and to be thankful for.

Starlight

Kingfisher
Woman
Protestant
Just wanted to share this stomach exercise I’ve been doing for the last month and have had real results with. A little background, after four kids and two years post-partum, I was still struggling to engage and strengthen my core even doing regular ab exercises for over a year when I stumbled across a youtube video about “stomach vacuums.” I’ve been doing this exercise for about a month now and have lost nearly four inches on my natural waist measurement (no change in weight) and I feel like I can finally engage my core muscles again including the ones around my belly button that I could barely feel or flex before.

So, to do a stomach vacuum you exhale all the air out of your lungs while sucking in and flexing your stomach muscles for at least twenty seconds or as long as you can. It’s kind of tricky at first, especially if you’re starting at ground zero like I was, but they become easier to do once your core starts to strengthen. Also, these are more effective if they’re done on an empty stomach.

This is a helpful video on how to do stomach vacuums (though I do them without the twist). She starts explaining how to do them at about 7:25:

IconWriter

Woodpecker
Woman
Orthodox
Gold Member
There are some great Zumba dance/exercise videos, low impact ones, on youtube(sorry) for seniors and everyone. They range from 10 min. and up. Between that and walking 15-20 min, that is all I can manage. The walking clears my mind; the video ramps up the metabolism.

messaggera

Pelican
Woman
Other Christian
Summer (Autumn and spring) time makes it easy with walking the dog 2-3 times a day, family bike rides on trails by our house, and gardening. Gardening /landscaping is labor I love to perform.

Like @IconWriter once mentioned while laboring it is nice to pray to our Lord. And to give thanks and praise for our five senses; and the cool breezy while under the hot sun.

Winter tends to be a busy time with house labor. Still have family walks that help keep us active.

Never liked gym and the gym culture, plus gym germs gross me out. I would rather be outside than inside.

Fasting has helped keep an consistent (but limited) intake of meat, olive oil, and dairy.

Pray_Everyday

Robin
Woman
Other Christian
At the risk of sounding unfeminine I will say that I love "exercise", except I think of it as staying active. But yeah, I love that feeling of muscle soreness that comes after a good workout. Not so much since having kids, because being constantly sore would probably get in the way of the many tasks of motherhood, and I have much less free time. However, I still make time to engage in a physical activity often.

As a Christian I have also reduced my overall physical activity because I realized I might have been getting into sinful territory (not pride necessarily, as I didn't exercise primarily to enhance the body's physical appearance, but more as I was using it as a "band aid" to not have to deal with certain emotions, and almost as a way of self punishment, if that makes sense. I also wasn't showing temperance). Any good thing can be twisted into an addiction, and something I must work on is moderation.

Outdoors I like to go hiking and walking year round or as much as possible, and swimming when the weather permits. Many years ago, I met and befriended another young woman who tried to get me into yoga, but even though I wasn't a Christian at the time it seemed off to me. Instead I started doing pilates, which I still do. Recently I found this article that warns about Christians doing pilates as well as yoga, so I don't know what to think. As far as I know, the Church has not warned about pilates the way it has warned about yoga, but if anyone has any information to the contrary, I'm all ears.

From link (bolded mine):

Now, what about the practice of Pilates? The history of Pilates dates back to the late 1800’s by a man named, Joseph Pilates who was originally born in Dusseldorf, Germany in 1880. He studied body building, yoga, martial arts and gymnastics. Many health and fitness enthusiasts today know that Pilates focuses on core strength, flexibility, and proper breath control. What many people do not realize is that you can recognize Yoga poses in the Pilates techniques. For example the “long stretch”, “the up stretch” and “the plank.” Currently the new age movement is starting to infiltrate into Pilates classes which is deceptively dangerous for Christians.
Joseph Pilates developed what is called “Controlology” and wrote a book called, Return to Life Through Contrology. Marguerite Ogle comments about Mr. Pilates' book in an article she wrote, which can be found on her website, Very Well Fit. In the article she quotes, “It is the complete coordination of body, mind, and spirit.” Ogle continues, “As the Pilates method grows ever more popular, the emphasis can begin to shift away from the multidimensional approach to fitness. In "Return to Life Through Contrology," the full potential of the body/mind/spirit approach to fitness comes shining through. The article continues, “One of the most obvious similarities between Pilates and Yoga is that they are both body/mind disciplines. The intent of both is to bring the body and mind together in a way that enhances awareness and elevates the overall life experience of the practitioner. Any mind/body integrative practice can evolve into a spiritual path. In yoga, this intent is often overtly expressed, whereas in the Pilates principles, this opportunity may be acknowledged but is rarely directly addressed.”

The question every Christian should ask him/herself is, “Does this glorify God? Will I grow closer to my Creator through this experience?” If the answer is no, then we should run away."

And here is the thread from the Men's forum that discusses the Church's stance on yoga.

I started out in dance, but when I became converted to Christ, the dancing became more and more inconsistent over the years, as it was not a wholesome type of dancing, so I replaced it with walking
I also used to dance, and I wonder if it is compatible with Christianity. In my case, it wasn't paricularly unwholesome on the surface, but more about possible covert and occult influences/symbolism that may not even occur to most people. Unfortunately, I think it may be one of those things where my conscience is telling me "no", or else I wouldn't even be questioning it, while it may be completely fine for somebody else. A shame, because I have many wonderful memories.