Face masks are bad for your health

Godward

Robin
That is what I told an employee at the drugstore today when he asked me whether I have a face mask. He answered that he was aware of that, but that we should wear them nonetheless. Silly boy.

Yet, I do believe that there are many others that can be reached with the facts. Yesterday, I was able to have a pizza delivery girl rethink her use of face masks -- she wore it as a chin mask when she left.

At any rate. Unlike "The Science", science has provided some interesting insights into the efficacy and negative side-effects of face masks. For example:
There are undoubtedly more relevant scientific papers or other essays on the matter. Since I don't see a topic about this specific matter --and more and more interesting research is being done-- I suggest posting all relevant information on the health risks of those dirty face diapers here.

Last edited:

Godward

Robin
An investigation into the leaching of micro and nano particles and chemical pollutants from disposable face masks - linked to the COVID-19 pandemic
G.L. Sullivan, J. Delgado-Gallardo, T.M. Watson, S. Sarp (Water Research, Volume 196, 15 May 2021, 117033)

Abstract
The production of disposable plastic face masks (DPFs) in China alone has reached to approximately 200 million a day, in a global effort to tackle the spread of the new SARS-CoV-2 virus. However, improper and unregulated disposals of these DPFs has been and will continue to intensify the plastic pollution problem we are already facing. This study focuses on the emission of pollutants from 7 DPF brands that were submerged in water to simulate environmental conditions if these DPFs were littered. The DPF leachates were filtered by inorganic membranes, and both particle-deposited organic membranes and the filtrates were characterized using techniques such as FTIR, SEM-EDX, Light Microscopy, ICP-MS and LC-MS. Micro and nano scale polymeric fibres, particles, siliceous fragments and leachable inorganic and organic chemicals were observed from all of the tested DPFs. Traces of concerning heavy metals (i.e. lead up to 6.79 µg/L) were detected in association with silicon containing fragments. ICP-MS also confirmed the presence of other leachable metals like cadmium (up to 1.92 µg/L), antimony (up to 393 µg/L) and copper (up to 4.17 µg/L). LC-MS analysis identified polar leachable organic species related to plastic additives and contaminants; polyamide-66 monomer and oligomers (nylon-66 synthesis), surfactant molecules, dye-like molecules and polyethylene glycol were all tentatively identified in the leachate. The toxicity of some of the chemicals found and the postulated risks of the rest of the present particles and molecules, raises the question of whether DPFs are safe to be used on a daily basis and what consequences are to be expected after their disposal into the environment.

Godward

Robin
Effects of wearing N95 and surgical facemasks on heart rate, thermal stress and subjective sensations
Y. Li, H. Tokura, Y.P. Guo, A.S.W. Wong, T. Wong, J. Chung, and E. Newton (Int Arch Occup Environ Health. 2005; 78(6): 501–509)

Abstract
Aim: The study was aimed at investigating the effects of wearing N95 and surgical facemasks with and without nano-functional treatments on thermophysiological responses and the subjective perception of discomfort. Method: Five healthy male and five healthy female participants performed intermittent exercise on a treadmill while wearing the protective facemasks in a climate chamber controlled at an air temperature of 25°C and a relative humidity of 70%. Four types of facemasks, including N95 (3M 8210) and surgical facemasks, which were treated with nano-functional materials, were used in the study. Results: (1) The subjects had significantly lower average heart rates when wearing nano-treated and untreated surgical facemasks than when wearing nano-treated and untreated N95 facemasks. (2) The outer surface temperature of both surgical facemasks was significantly higher than that of both N95 facemasks. On the other hand, the microclimate and skin temperatures inside the facemask were significantly lower than those in both N95 facemasks. (3) Both surgical facemasks had significantly higher absolute humidity outside the surface than both N95 facemasks. The absolute humidity inside the surgical facemask was significantly lower than that inside both N95 facemasks. (4) Both surgical facemasks were rated significantly lower for perception of humidity, heat, breath resistance and overall discomfort than both N95 facemasks. The ratings for other sensations, including feeling unfit, tight, itchy, fatigued, odorous and salty, that were obtained while the subjects were wearing the surgical facemasks were significantly lower than when the subjects were wearing the N95 facemasks. (5) Subjective preference for the nano-treated surgical facemasks was the highest. There was significant differences in preference between the nano-treated and untreated surgical facemasks and between the surgical and N95 facemasks. Discussion: We discuss how N95 and surgical facemasks induce significantly different temperature and humidity in the microclimates of the facemasks, which have profound influences on heart rate and thermal stress and subjective perception of discomfort.

Godward

Robin
Psychosocial, biological, and immunological risks for children and pupils make long-term wearing of mouth masks difficult to maintain
Carla Peeters, Wim Vanden Berghe, Mattias Desmet (BMJ 2020; 370, 09 September 2020)

Dear Editor,

IIn a recent article, Westhuizen and colleagues [1] argued for a global implementation of face covering to control COVID-19 virus spread. In doing so, they do not differentiate between adults, adolescents, and children. This rapid response considers the negative effects at the immunological and psychological level of mandating facemasks for children and adolescents and maintains that they outweigh the possible gains.

1. SARS-COV-2 infection and transmission in children and adolescents is low
Infections with the virus SARS-COV-2 can occur in children and adolescents. The course of the disease is often mild or asymptomatic. In exceptional cases, severe Covid19 symptoms can occur in children or adolescents with underlying diseases. In a number of studies of hospitalized children with Kawasaki syndrome or multiple inflammations, there is a suspicion of a relationship with SARS-COV-2 infection, but this has not been unequivocally proven; antibodies and / or a positive rtPCR test were not detected in all patients [2]. Analyses by the Karolinska and Pasteur Institute concluded that children and adolescents are unlikely to be the main spreaders in the Covid19 pandemic [4-6]. Contamination from children to parents or teachers is sporadic. To date, the risk of infection appears to be greatest in the home situation, nursing homes and hospitals. In Sweden, where facemasks are not used in schools and schools even remained open during the first wave, as in other countries, the number of older people in intensive care has dropped from June to a few per week. Despite the recent increase in “Covid19 infections” in many other countries, only a small increase in Covid19 patients in intensive care units can be observed.

2. Facemasks at school: a slippery slope from virus protection to mental breakdown?
Reducing virus contamination using facemasks remains a topic of heated debate among scientists and policy makers [6-9]. At the outset of the pandemic, WHO experts advised that use of facemasks is not recommended as potential benefits are rather limited and there is a potential risk of self-contamination if used improperly. Moreover the WHO stated in their report of June 5 “At present, there is no direct evidence (from studies on Covid19 and in healthy people in the community) on the effectiveness of universal masking of healthy people in the community to prevent infection with respiratory viruses, including Covid19 [10] Contamination of the upper respiratory tract by viruses and bacteria on the outside of medical face masks has been detected in several hospitals [11]. Another research shows that a moist mask is a breeding ground for (antibiotic resistant) bacteria and fungi, which can undermine mucosal viral immunity. This research advocates the use of medical / surgical masks (instead of homemade cotton masks) that are used once and replaced after a few hours [12]. This means that a family with 2 children and 2 parents who go to work by public transport and do their shopping will consume 20 facemasks per day (€ 25 / day, € 9,000 / year per family). Today, facemasks are considered an easily enforceable low-cost measure when 1.5 m social distance cannot be respected, in unventilated areas or in the presence of immunocompromised patients. Limited experimental and observational studies report a reduced risk of SARS-CoV2 virus transmission of 6-80%: the effectiveness varies greatly depending on the type and quality of the masks, the basic contamination level of the studied population, laboratory test used, and epidemic context [7-9, 13-14].

Aside from the highly variable protective effects, WHO mentions several negative aspects of frequent / long-term use of facemasks, fuelling the debate as to whether the benefits outweigh the drawbacks [10].
Many people report claustrophobic experiences and difficulty getting sufficient oxygen due to the increased resistance to inhaling and exhaling. This can lead to an increased heart rate, nausea, dizziness and headaches and several other symptoms [15,16]. In an inquiry among Belgian students wearing mouthmasks for one week, 16 % reported skinproblems and 7 % sinusitis, Also problems with eyes and headaches and fatigue were frequently mentioned [14]. Furthermore, face masking can provoke an increase in stress hormones with a negative impact on immune resilience in the long term [17]. Facemasks prevent the mirroring of facial expressions, a process that facilitates empathetic connections and trust between pupills and teachers. This potentially leads to a significant increase in socio-psychological stress. During childhood and puberty the brain undergoes sexual and mental maturation through hormonal epigenetic reprogramming [18-21]. Several studies show that long-term exposure to socio-psychological stress leaves neuro-epigenetic scars that are difficult to cure in young people and often escalate into mental behavioural problems and a weakened immune system [22-26]. A recent study by the CDC concludes that in young adults (18-24 years), the level of anxiety and depression has increased by 63% (!) since the corona crisis. A quarter of them think about suicide. As a result, the use of antidepressants has increased by 25% [27]. Several researchers have shown a relationship between the increase in stress experiences and the risk of upper respiratory tract infections and mortality [28-31].

3. A healthy diet and lifestyle for young people is more important than ever in the context of Covid19
At this moment the health protective benefits of non-professional use of facemasks are doubtful [32]. Hence, we argue for a less one-sided focus on facemasking, paying more attention for healthy lifestyle and psychological well-being [33-35] Especially for children and young people from families with a low economic status, malnutrition or chronic illnesses, explicit government support is requested [36] Attention to underexposed but important preventive nutritional support including vitamins D and C is needed to increase the anti-viral immune resistance, control disease and virus spread [37-39]. Complementary integration of healthy nutrition and lifestyle measures will further allow to reduce comorbidity risks (obesity, diabetes, CVD) for severe covid19 infections, which at long term will contribute to improved health and reduction in healthcare costs and promote resilience for a healthier society [36-39].

Godward

Robin
Dangerous pathogens found on children’s face masks (06/16/2021)

BY JENNIFER CABRERA

A group of parents in Gainesville, FL, sent 6 face masks to a lab at the University of Florida, requesting an analysis of contaminants found on the masks after they had been worn. The resulting report found that five masks were contaminated with bacteria, parasites, and fungi, including three with dangerous pathogenic and pneumonia-causing bacteria. Although the test is capable of detecting viruses, including SARS-CoV-2, only one virus was found on one mask (alcelaphine herpesvirus 1).

The analysis detected the following 11 dangerous pathogens on the masks:

Streptococcus pneumoniae (pneumonia)
Mycobacterium tuberculosis (tuberculosis)
Neisseria meningitidis (meningitis, sepsis)
Acanthamoeba polyphaga (keratitis and granulomatous amebic encephalitis)
Acinetobacter baumanni (pneumonia, blood stream infections, meningitis, UTIs—resistant to antibiotics)
Escherichia coli (food poisoning)
Borrelia burgdorferi (causes Lyme disease)
Corynebacterium diphtheriae (diphtheria)
Legionella pneumophila (Legionnaires’ disease)
Staphylococcus pyogenes serotype M3 (severe infections—high morbidity rates)
Staphylococcus aureus (meningitis, sepsis)
Half of the masks were contaminated with one or more strains of pneumonia-causing bacteria. One-third were contaminated with one or more strains of meningitis-causing bacteria. One-third were contaminated with dangerous, antibiotic-resistant bacterial pathogens. In addition, less dangerous pathogens were identified, including pathogens that can cause fever, ulcers, acne, yeast infections, strep throat, periodontal disease, Rocky Mountain Spotted Fever, and more.

Foley96

Pigeon
Masks prevent nasal breathing through the build up of toxins. I find it mad to see people (NPCs) wearing masks whilst training at the gym when it's optional but it doesn't surprise me in 2021.

N°6

Hummingbird
I’m sure everyone here tried to hide one’s face under bed covers to fall asleep during a cold evening to be told by his parents that it is bad for the health.

Edin

Robin
Never worn one. When rules were a bit stricter I would wear a neck scarf and just pull it up a bit then quickly pull it down. Now, no one seems bothered any how. But still any place that insists on masks does not get my business.

I could go a lovely beach in Greece just two hours drive from here but since they require a negative test at the border I boycott them too.

N°6

Hummingbird
It’s like EVERYTHING that has been mandated or advised by the powers-that-be has been counterproductive. Everything from masks, house arrests and declaring the use of cheap generic drugs as malpractice.

Eusebius Erasmus

Kingfisher
Orthodox
In Canada, if you don’t wear a mask in the big cities, the SJWs will harass you and take your picture, and they even call the cops on you.

This has happened multiple times to my pregnant wife, who has a medical mask exemption.

LESSON: never move to or visit Canada, unless you plan on a rural life. Take your vacation money and donate to the Church instead.

Viktor Zeegelaar

Pelican
Orthodox Inquirer
In the NL they cancel the mask almost everywhere besides public transport from tomorrow on. That's unexpected for me, for I expected them to just keep it as a habit. Everyone's doing it in supermarkets etc anyway so how easy to just keep it. What I see here is a almost complete wave pulling back for the summer, before it will prolly slam down again in september/october. Let's see what will happen. They do announce already that a new cojona gulf ''could'' happen in fall.

Edin

Robin
In the NL they cancel the mask almost everywhere besides public transport from tomorrow on. That's unexpected for me, for I expected them to just keep it as a habit. Everyone's doing it in supermarkets etc anyway so how easy to just keep it. What I see here is a almost complete wave pulling back for the summer, before it will prolly slam down again in september/october. Let's see what will happen. They do announce already that a new cojona gulf ''could'' happen in fall.

I have the suspicion that they are slowly abandoning the Rona hoax and moving onto the next one - cyber attacks, climate lockdowns, etc, etc. Maybe we'll get a year or two to breath.

Johnnyvee

Pelican

Right now I see little reason why it won`t be as bad as it was again this coming winter! The pattern from the summer of 2020, with no vaccines, match that of the current situation. It was even a bit better that summer in terms of deaths/hospital emissions, with no vaccines! I think that has mostly to do with improved immune function in the summer months in the majority of the western hemisphere. (I.e. sun exposure and the effects thereof, and maybe more physical activity could matter as well) Of course there are other effects on viruses in terms of seasonal variety as well, but that applies to all viruses, and the regular flu season. We should of course just focus on the improvement of the immune system and the health of the population in general, but there is no money to be made there so...

As for the face masks, I don`t know if they are deleterious in and of themselves. (maybe an increased risk of infection, the way that people will reuse them) But they present a false safety, like so many other fake approaches to curing health problems, that are indirectly dangerous. You are lulling the sheeple into a false sense of security, when they are often in a terrible physical condition and should be helped with real health information.

zamfir112

Woodpecker
Yes terrible. Yet in many countries its legally mandated to wear it. Also lockdowns.curfews.vaccines.gmo food and a crappy fast food diet .. nothing the elite promote is helpful to you.