Facebook is becoming scary!

pitt

Hummingbird
Gold Member
Facebook has been recommending me ''people you may know'' that I have no idea how facebook knows that I know them.

I simply talk to these people on whatsapp, we have no friends in common, not on facebook at least because I don't even add half of my friends on Facebook, so how the hell does facebook knows that I know these people?

Is facebook working with whatsapp or something? Last night, I saw 7 different friends coming up on my ''people you may know'' page and I have no idea how facebook knows that I know them.

Buakaw

Woodpecker
Gold Member
pitt said:
Facebook has been recommending me ''people you may know'' that I have no idea how facebook knows that I know them.

I simply talk to these people on whatsapp, we have no friends in common, not on facebook at least because I don't even add half of my friends on Facebook, so how the hell does facebook knows that I know these people?

Is facebook working with whatsapp or something? Last night, I saw 7 different friends coming up on my ''people you may know'' page and I have no idea how facebook knows that I know them.

As far as I know Whatsapp is owned by Facebook.

Handsome Creepy Eel

Owl
Gold Member
pitt said:

Facebook owns Whatsapp.

That said, just preemptively block those people on Facebook and your privacy is safe.

Patriarch

Kingfisher
Gold Member
Yeah a while ago Facebook was recommending several girls I had dated or fucked, but I'd only ever communicated with them through Viber. I wish you could turn that "feature" off. If I didn't use Facebook to advertise for Trump, I'd just delete my account.

Freddy_1

Woodpecker
Also Pitt if you have facebook messenger on your phone you most likely gave it access to your phone contacts who have linked their numbers to their facebook accounts for "security" reasons...so it will recommend you friends based off your phone contacts as well.

The Beast1

Peacock
Gold Member
Freddy_1 said:
Also Pitt if you have facebook messenger on your phone you most likely gave it access to your phone contacts who have linked their numbers to their facebook accounts for "security" reasons...so it will recommend you friends based off your phone contacts as well.

This and don't install the Facebook application on your phone. It will take your contacts and scan it for matches from the site itself.

This actually got me wondering too, I got contact to one forum member to use it on WhatsApp and to make a meetup, but then after I add him into my cell and then wrote him over app he got into friends suggestion too.
Same but little weirder got for one chick I number closed this weekend, she too became another suggestion from facebook.

I will stop needing facebook after I finish my Bachelors degree and wont need contact with my classgroup to share materials anymore, so I will delete it for good too, this was the last straw.

pitt

Hummingbird
Gold Member
Freddy_1 said:

I don't have facebook messenger on my phone.

Gmac

Peacock
Gold Member
We talked about this last year. It's all linked to your phone number / gmail account / etc. So make sure Facebook doesn't have yours. Always use a phone/email burner when possible. Google voice and Gmail are both free.

The risk even if your facebook is private is that anyone who has your phone number can potentially find out your full name. Better safe than sorry.

That said, just preemptively block those people on Facebook and your privacy is safe.

This is good advice as well.

da_zeb

Robin
Gold Member
Whatsapp is a privacy nightmare because it uses your phone number and actively scans your contact list to match you with other Whatsapp users. And now that it's owned by Facebook it's data is shared with the parent company.

If you value your privacy quit using Whatsapp. There are plenty of better options out there.

pitt

Hummingbird
Gold Member
Gmac said:
We talked about this last year. It's all linked to your phone number / gmail account / etc. So make sure Facebook doesn't have yours. Always use a phone/email burner when possible. Google voice and Gmail are both free.

The risk even if your facebook is private is that anyone who has your phone number can potentially find out your full name. Better safe than sorry.

This is good advice as well.

Facebook doesn't have my phone number or gmail account.

Atlantic

Ostrich
Gold Member
I have also had this happen with my Tinder account. Facebook has recommend people I talked to a year ago on Tinder but never added anywhere else. I don't know if its from them searching for me or because Tinder and FB are linked.

The Beast1

Peacock
Gold Member
I don't know how the settings work on Android or the iPhone but Pitts check the Whatsapp settings and see if it "Sends your contact list to facebook". There should be a setting in there for that.

TheOllam

Woodpecker
Gold Member
Complete removal from FB? Head in sand much?

It's like saying, "I don't want to drive because people get in car accidents"

Social Media is not going away, what's happening is society is catching up with technology.

That said, I keep out of the way of wackos on FB, and disengage from folks too far down the wrong path (This goes for extremists on both the Left and Right)

Also, FB is a great reminder for me not to get married in USA:

I have 2 male cousins, both married with kids, of course frustrated because they've subconsciously realized they are getting the bad end the marriage market only after the fact.

However, consciously they post stupid shit on FB supporting Bernie, bitching about global warming, 1%ers, how conservatives are "obviously" racist because they don't support Obama enough, how we need to give more support to women, lot's of Mangina blah blah.

Meanwhile, it's women that have dominated their life.

Even weak Men need SOMETHING to dominate, so they take it out on FB by sharing frustration with the world. (Pretty weak, but that's what it is...)

So sit back and enjoy. Don't be afraid of Social Media, just don't run around in traffic like a child on the highway.

My life has been better since I quit facebook. Privacy invasions got too much for me.

Twitter is hitting the shitter too. These platforms will all die eventually.

C-Note

Ostrich
Gold Member
If you download the Google app to your smartphone, does Facebook use that to track what you're doing in other apps on your phone? How else would it know who you contacted on Tinder if you don't have the FB app installed?

AntiMediocrity

Woodpecker
TheOllam it's not really about putting your head in the sand or being afraid, Facebook is just plain toxic and you can almost feel a tangible sense of cleanliness once you click that deactivate button.

Logging on Facebook every day is essentially subscribing to a daily issue of Cosmopolitan, Buzzfeed, Jezebel and every other artifact of Western society but instead of piling up on your doorstep it's delivered straight to the ocular glands. Every piece of celeb news, every engagement, every birth, every viral video share, all is cleansed from your pallette once you press that magic button.

Then, you need only get your news from here and feel the blessed rain of objective commentary on your face.