Facebook names 20 members to independent "oversight board" which will be in charge of censorship

kel

Pelican

The full list of members includes:

• Afia Asantewaa Asare-Kyei, human rights advocate at the Open Society Initiative for West Africa
  • Evelyn Aswad, University of Oklahoma College of Law professor who formerly served as a senior U.S. State Department lawyer
  • Endy Bayuni, journalist who twice served as the editor-in-chief of the Jakarta Post
  • Catalina Botero-Marino, Facebook Oversight Board co-chair, dean of the Universidad de los Andes Faculty of Law
  • Katherine Chen, communications scholar at the National Chengchi University and former national communications regulator in Taiwan
  • Nighat Dad, digital rights advocate who received the Human Rights Tulip Award
  • Jamal Greene, Facebook Oversight Board co-chair, Columbia Law professor
  • Pamela Karlan, Stanford Law professor and United States Supreme Court advocate
  • Tawakkol Karman, Nobel Peace Prize laureate named as one of “History’s Most Rebellious Women” by Time
  • Maina Kiai, director of Human Rights Watch’s Global Alliances and Partnerships program
  • Sudhir Krishnaswamy, vice chancellor of the National Law School of India University
  • Ronaldo Lemos, technology, intellectual property and media lawyer who teaches law at Universidade do Estado do Rio de Janeiro
  • Michael McConnell, Facebook Oversight Board co-chair, Stanford Law professor who previously served as a federal circuit judge
  • Julie Owono, digital rights and anti-censorship advocate who leads Internet Sans Frontieres
  • Emi Palmor, former director general of the Israeli Ministry of Justice
  • Alan Rusbridger, former editor-in-chief of The Guardian
  • Andras Sajo, former judge and vice president of the European Court of Human Rights
  • John Samples, helps lead a libertarian think tank and writes extensively on social media and speech regulation
  • Nicolas Suzor, Queensland University of Technology Law School professor
  • Helle Thorning-Schmidt, Facebook Oversight Board co-chair, former Prime Minister of Denmark
Doesn't look like a very diverse group. What luck for Facebook that the 20-member "independent" censorship board they created would match so well with their observed political bent.

This is who decides what you are allowed to see and share online:

An0dyne

Robin
I know a lot of people on my friends' list that claim to have been censored on FB, but I have personally never experienced it. I am active in a number of groups on FB which are really the only ways to stay connected to those individuals (mostly religious in nature), as well as for my business marketing purposes. I guess we'll see how things go with the new board lol.

mojo

Pigeon
The site is so bloated at this point...waiting for pages to load that only have valuable content .01% of the time.

Roosh

Cardinal
The only silver lining is the Facebook is increasingly less relevant than ever.
For dissidents, yes, but a huge percentage of the world uses it.
Worldwide, there are over 2.6 billion monthly active users (MAUs) as of March 31 2020. This is a 10 percent increase in Facebook MAUs year-over-year. This is compared to 2.38 billion MAUs for Q1 2019 and 2.38 billion MAUs for December 2019.

kel

Pelican
A lot of people in the third-world have "feature phones" (the color-screen, data-enabled phones that aren't quite smartphones, you probably had one in 2007) with free (subsidized by facebook) access to "Facebook Zero", a condensed version of facebook optimized for these phones. For these people, Facebook is the internet. That's it, that's all there is. If information isn't there, and nobody in their community can tell them about it, it simply doesn't exist.

The real question is how to increase facebook's irrelevancy. I would keep pushing the edge on their censorship ploy because the cat's out of the bag now. Once they start, they won't stop censoring until they quadruple-down on their totalitarian control of information, and what the third world sees. It would be of great benefit to share with the third world all that the organizations are guilty of, and what they don't want them to know. I know most of them are illiterate, but perhaps the light of the truth can spur these people into action much sooner than 1st world comfort npcs.

budoslavic

Peacock
Gold Member

wannable alpha

Woodpecker
FB is a private company and can have its own terms and conditions. No different than this forum which bans members when they step out of line (as per Roosh's point of view).

kel

Pelican
It can, sure, but it's pretending to have an "independent" oversight board here, which it obviously is not. They can do what they want, but they're looking for headpats here. You apparently want to give it to them, so go for it, but I'm unimpressed currently.

Also, IANAL, but it's not as cut and dried as "they're a private company, they can do whatever they want", because they enjoy certain protections as a "platform" rather than a "publisher", but if they aggressively limit what one can say or post on their "platform", they arguably become a "publisher" and have to accept what that entails legally. Facebook, Youtube et al are fighting hard to be considered "platforms" rather than "publishers". What does that tell you?

pitbullowner

Pelican

Roosh

Cardinal
FB is a private company and can have its own terms and conditions. No different than this forum which bans members when they step out of line (as per Roosh's point of view).
Is my forum a monopoly that has over 2 billion users, and which has 25%+ of the online ad market? If you are banned from this forum, are you cut off from the "public square"?

Last edited:

pitbullowner

Pelican
Is my forum a monopoly that has over 2 billion users, and which has nearly 25% of the online market? If you are banned from this forum, are you cut off from the "public square"?
I know it was rhetorical but I'll answer the question to get more light
No....

If you become public with your views expressed here, doxxing harassment and potentially never getting gainful employment ever again in a professional environment.

sure you may become a construction worker but good luck moving up to a management position with a KAREN in the HR department of your contacting company

Towgunner

Woodpecker

Doesn't look like a very diverse group. What luck for Facebook that the 20-member "independent" censorship board they created would match so well with their observed political bent.

This is who decides what you are allowed to see and share online:

Take a good look fellas, that, right there and in front of you, is the person that is oppressing you.