False Prophets and Teachers

All of the rules here are consistent with Scripture and Church Tradition. They're not 'arbitrary rules.'

I also never claimed that Christianity is anti-science or anti-reason.

If you think that the rules are wrong, then explain, instead of just telling us to read.
I’m mostly talking about the act of rule making itself. As I said, very educated people have written on theology. If you are interested in getting to the core of your faith, I suggest reading, not coming up with theological positions yourself.

Eusebius Erasmus

Kingfisher
I’m mostly talking about the act of rule making itself. As I said, very educated people have written on theology. If you are interested in getting to the core of your faith, I suggest reading, not coming up with theological positions yourself.

The core of Christian faith cannot be attained through reading or intellectual pursuits. Reading can be helpful, but is neither necessary nor sufficient.

I ask again: what particular points in the original post do you believe are against Scripture or Holy Tradition?

Last edited:
> The core of Christian faith cannot be attained through reading or intellectual pursuits. Reading can be helpful, but is neither necessary nor sufficient.

That is again, your own opinion and not one that every Christian philosopher or theologian would agree with. I already made this point, twice now.

In terms of your specific "rules":

4. Christianity has been in deep dialogue with other belief systems and with itself. This is a historical fact. The idea that somehow it has remained pure since the Nicene Creed is nonsense.

5. What is your definition of "historical Christianity"? The religion has changed countless times and the Christianity of 2021 America is very different from the Christianity of 5th century Ethiopia.

6. This sounds like you're arguing for Gnosticism, which was of course deemed as heresy.

The point is: these things are very complicated. Over the centuries, people much smarter than you or I have investigated the faith and come to intelligent conclusions. It is always better to be humble.

Last edited:

Eusebius Erasmus

Kingfisher
> The core of Christian faith cannot be attained through reading or intellectual pursuits. Reading can be helpful, but is neither necessary nor sufficient.

That is again, your own opinion and not one that every Christian philosopher or theologian would agree with. I already made this point, twice now.

In terms of your specific "rules":

4. Christianity has been in deep dialogue with other belief systems and with itself. This is a historical fact. The idea that somehow it has remained pure since the Nicene Creed is nonsense.

5. What is your definition of "historical Christianity"? The religion has changed countless times and the Christianity of 2021 America is very different from the Christianity of 5th century Ethiopia.

6. This sounds like you're arguing for Gnosticism, which was of course deemed as heresy.

The point is: these things are very complicated. Over the centuries, people much smarter than you or I have investigated the faith and come to intelligent conclusions. It is always better to be humble.

To claim that the core of Christian faith is attained intellectually is a gnostic heresy. This would imply that an adult with Down's syndrome cannot attain the fullness of theosis.

Regarding your specific points:

4. Doctrinal development, as you posit, is not tenable. This also begs the question of what you mean by 'deep dialogue.'

5. American Christianity is often heretical, so I don't see your point here.

6. The world, the flesh, and the devil are pretty standard Christian concepts, not gnostic at all.

I see that you are agnostic, and don't know much about Christianity. I would encourage you to read Holy Scripture, and attend the Divine Liturgy at a local Orthodox parish. Talk with your local priest, and I hope he will help you attain the fullness of faith.

To claim that the core of Christian faith is attained intellectually is a gnostic heresy. This would imply that an adult with Down's syndrome cannot attain the fullness of theosis.

Regarding your specific points:

4. Doctrinal development, as you posit, is not tenable. This also begs the question of what you mean by 'deep dialogue.'

5. American Christianity is often heretical, so I don't see your point here.

6. The world, the flesh, and the devil are pretty standard Christian concepts, not gnostic at all.

I see that you are agnostic, and don't know much about Christianity. I would encourage you to read Holy Scripture, and attend the Divine Liturgy at a local Orthodox parish. Talk with your local priest, and I hope he will help you attain the fullness of faith.

Edit, removing the hostility from my comments.

To close out this discussion, I'll just suggest checking out some of these links. The role of Reason in Christianity is incredibly important and has been argued as such for thousands of years.

Last edited:

RKS

Sparrow

In the original Hebrew in which much of the Bible was written, a unique personal name appears here. It is spelled יהוה (YHWH) in Hebrew letters. In English, the common rendering of that name is “Jehovah.” Does that name occur in only one Bible verse? No. It appears in the original text of the Hebrew Scriptures nearly 7,000 times.

How important is God’s name?

Matthew 6:9

You must pray, then, this way: “‘Our Father in the heavens, let your name be sanctified."

Ezekiel 36:23

I will certainly sanctify my great name, which was profaned among the nations, which you profaned among them; and the nations will have to know that I am Jehovah, declares the Sovereign Lord Jehovah, ‘when I am sanctified among you before their eyes.

Psalm 83:18

May people know that you, whose name is Jehovah, You alone are the Most High over all the earth.

John14:6-7

Jesus said to him: “No one comes to the Father except through me. If you men had known me, you would have known my Father also.”

Do your teachers, like the perfect teacher Jesus, also use the divine name as written in the bible? If not, now may be a good time to learn more about Jehovah.

Last edited:

DeFide

Robin
“These moderns, forever prattling about culture and civilization, are undermining the Church’s doctrine, laws, and practices. They are not concerned very much about culture and civilization. By using such high-sounding words they think they can conceal the wickedness of their schemes. All of you know their purpose, subterfuges, and methods. On Our part We have denounced and condemned their scheming. They are proposing a universal apostasy even worse than the one that threatened the age of Charles [Borromeo, i.e. worse than the Protestant Revolt]. It is worse, We say, because it stealthily creeps into the very veins of the Church, hides there, and cunningly pushes erroneous principles to their ultimate conclusions.”—Pope St. Pius X, Encyclical Editae Saepe, nn. 17-18, 1910

To be a Christian, you must have the Catholic Faith and be in the One Holy Catholic Apostolic Roman Church, Spotless Bride, and Mystical Body of Christ. You can't accept the New Religion of Vatican II as Catholic, the Vatican II antipopes as popes, their heresiarchy as One Holy Catholic Apostolic, their "Council" as canonical, their "Masses" as acceptable to God, their 1983 "Code" of "Canon Law" as Church Law, or their 1992 "Catechism" as Church teaching, as if it came from the Church when it didn't, nor can you accept those who accept any of it, or any other heretics, even your own family and friends, as Christians and still be a Christian. As long as you acknowledge these antipopes as popes, you remain a member of the Harlot.The Church of Jesus Christ is divinely guaranteed to be indefectible: She cannot change in her essence; she cannot defect from her divine mission; she cannot compromise with the errors of the world; she cannot lose the Faith and suddenly promote a different religion. Yet, the institution which today calls itself the Roman Catholic Church has done these very things and is diametrically opposed to the Catholic Church of Pope Pius XII (d. 1958) and his predecessors.

"The Church of Christ, therefore, is one and the same forever. Whoever leaves her departs from the Will and Command of Our Lord Jesus Christ; leaving the path of salvation, he enters that of perdition. "Whosoever is separated from the Church is united to an adulteress. He has cut himself off from the promises of the Church. Whosoever leaves the Church of Christ cannot arrive at the rewards of Christ. ... Whosoever observes not this Unity observes not the Law of God. Whosoever holds not the Faith of the Father and the Son, holds not to Life and salvation." (St. Cyprian, De Catholicae Ecclesiae Unitate)" (Pope Leo XIII, Papal Encyclical on the Unity of the Church, Satis Cognitum, #10, June 29th 1896)

Last edited:
To be a Christian, you must have the Catholic Faith and be in the One Holy Catholic Apostolic Roman Church, Spotless Bride, and Mystical Body of Christ. You can't accept the New Religion of Vatican II as Catholic, the Vatican II antipopes as popes, their heresiarchy as One Holy Catholic Apostolic, their "Council" as canonical, their "Masses" as acceptable to God, their 1983 "Code" of "Canon Law" as Church Law, or their 1992 "Catechism" as Church teaching, as if it came from the Church when it didn't, nor can you accept those who accept any of it, or any other heretics, even your own family and friends, as Christians and still be a Christian. As long as you acknowledge these antipopes as popes, you remain a member of the Harlot.The Church of Jesus Christ is divinely guaranteed to be indefectible: She cannot change in her essence; she cannot defect from her divine mission; she cannot compromise with the errors of the world; she cannot lose the Faith and suddenly promote a different religion. Yet, the institution which today calls itself the Roman Catholic Church has done these very things and is diametrically opposed to the Catholic Church of Pope Pius XII (d. 1958) and his predecessors.

"The Church of Christ, therefore, is one and the same forever. Whoever leaves her departs from the Will and Command of Our Lord Jesus Christ; leaving the path of salvation, he enters that of perdition. "Whosoever is separated from the Church is united to an adulteress. He has cut himself off from the promises of the Church. Whosoever leaves the Church of Christ cannot arrive at the rewards of Christ. ... Whosoever observes not this Unity observes not the Law of God. Whosoever holds not the Faith of the Father and the Son, holds not to Life and salvation." (St. Cyprian, De Catholicae Ecclesiae Unitate)" (Pope Leo XIII, Papal Encyclical on the Unity of the Church, Satis Cognitum, #10, June 29th 1896)
It is not written as you describe. It is written in The Word of God:

3For what I received I passed on to you as of first importance: that Christ died for our sins according to the Scriptures, 4that he was buried, that he was raised on the third day according to the Scriptures, 5and that he appeared to Cephas, and then to the Twelve. 6After that, he appeared to more than five hundred of the brothers and sisters at the same time, most of whom are still living, though some have fallen asleep. 7Then he appeared to James, then to all the apostles, 8and last of all he appeared to me also, as to one abnormally born.

1 Corinthians 3-7