Family members influenced by a progressive Far left preacher/church

guccigirl7

Pigeon
Woman
HI All,
I really need some advice on how to approach a family member who attends a church, that I've recently realized the pastor is a far left lunatic, I have prayed many times since CV started to help this relative, who used to be very spiritually trusting and had a great relationship with God and now it seems like her faith has been shaken...she's very fearful of the virus, will not see other family members and is even putting masks on her very young children, it breaks my heart. I had the instinct to go look up her church and I watched a sermon that was very left, saying something along the line of all the conspiracy theorists/Trump supporters are a bunch of wackos and to write them off. I couldn't believe my ears that such a comment would come from someone at the pulpit of an American 'church', and then I realized where the American churches are :(, I wanted to rage comment and ask him if he's read the Bible? The Devil conspires the whole way through, but I know I'll be recognized and I don't want to start the family drama..I"m not even sure how to approach this, so I went and looked him up on Twitter and he spends most of the day rage tweeting against Trump, trumpers and talking about Progressive Pentacostal movement, he even has a blog that is called the Progressive Pentacostal. (I Don't think many people read his nonsense online) Fortunately, God has answered a prayer and given them a job opportunity a few hours away from this church, so they will be moving, but they have been with this church for 5 years...and are talking about attending online service :( Any advice on how I should approach this conversation, or should I just keep praying for God to get them away. Honestly, I want his whole congregation to be spared from this man's false teachings, and keep praying for God to help me with the anger I feel towards this pastor :( Thanks in advance

Lamkins

Woodpecker
Woman
How close are you to this family member? The reason I ask is if it was someone very close to me I’d approach out of concern prepared with scriptural and rational answers, expecting a lot of pushback. If it wasn’t I’d lift them up in prayer and leave them in God’s hands. As someone who was lost in Word of Faith for years I can confidently say God got set me free. But it took years, and from the outside I’m sure it looked like I was skipping along in deceit. Inside I was confused and questioning though.

Starlight

Kingfisher
Woman
If they are moving, that’s your opportunity to scout out a few churches in their new town and suggest them to your family member. Since they are in a very progressive/left-leaning church, I would probably pick something that’s not too conservative but has a strong basis in scripture. Do some research and then casually suggest the new churches you found and why they would be a good fit for them.

Honestly, I want his whole congregation to be spared from this man's false teachings
If the pastor of their church is supporting or opposing any politician from the pulpit, he could be violating 501(c)(3) laws. If there is evidence that he is doing this (like in an online worship service) you could report it to the IRS and the church could lose it’s non-profit status for the year.

From the Freedom from Religion legal website:
(emphasis is mine)
Churches cannot engage in any of the following activities under the federal tax law:
  • Cannot endorse or oppose candidates for public office
  • Cannot make any communication—either from the pulpit, in a newsletter, or church bulletin—which expressly advocates for the election of or defeat of a candidate for public office
  • Cannot make expenditures on behalf of a candidate for public office or allow any of their resources to be used indirectly for political purposes (e.g., use their phones for a phone bank)
  • Cannot ask a candidate for public office to sign a pledge or other promise to support a particular issue
  • Cannot distribute partisan campaign literature
  • Cannot display political campaign signs on church property
Having their church lose it’s non-profit status could be a real wake-up call for them and the rest of the congregation...

[Edited to say that I’m not a legal professional and that this is not legal advice but for educational and informational purposes only :)]

Last edited:

EntWife

Robin
Woman
Pray and ask God to help you know what to do, or if you should do anything at all. Sometimes a family member disagreeing with them will only make them more determined to go the wrong direction. It's also possible that they already have doubts. God knows where their hearts are so don't do anything before asking Him.

In any case, I'd advise not to say anything to them about their church until after they move. The move will naturally cause distance between them and the wacko pastor.

guccigirl7

Pigeon
Woman
Thank you for your replies! It has given me some ideas to ponder over the coming days.

I'm very close! Its my oldest daughter, who went on 2 missions when she was 18-20, one of the missions was to Africa where she saw the powerful healing of the Holy Spirit, and another one she went to a few years later to Mexico.

My idea is to pull up his Twitter and just show the rage tweeting and say "is this a person you want life advice from?" I mean, I do get that we all need to vent every now and again, and its not that with him..it's a constant anger that you comes through him whether he's speaking or writing. Being 2 hours away is a great first step, she did find a possible church, but will most likely rule it out for the 'mask optional' stance. Out of all my children, she's the last one I would've expected would be so afraid of the CV and into a bad church :(

Lamkins

Woodpecker
Woman
Thank you for your replies! It has given me some ideas to ponder over the coming days.

I'm very close! Its my oldest daughter, who went on 2 missions when she was 18-20, one of the missions was to Africa where she saw the powerful healing of the Holy Spirit, and another one she went to a few years later to Mexico.

My idea is to pull up his Twitter and just show the rage tweeting and say "is this a person you want life advice from?" I mean, I do get that we all need to vent every now and again, and its not that with him..it's a constant anger that you comes through him whether he's speaking or writing. Being 2 hours away is a great first step, she did find a possible church, but will most likely rule it out for the 'mask optional' stance. Out of all my children, she's the last one I would've expected would be so afraid of the CV and into a bad church :(

That sounds like a good plan. Seeing with her own eyes may be just the ticket.