Fare dodging on public transport

Anyone else also addicted to the thrill?

Lately it's not been going so good for me. There might be some kind of surveillance or algorithm that makes ticket inspectors board. I've never been checked when I had my ticket validated but I've been nailed the off times when I didn't feel like bothering.

It's such a shame because it feels like such a waste validating your ticket all the time and no one comes to check it. If they actually "know" if you haven't done it they probably are masters at it. Don't check the times I'm legitimate, then come in for a payday the moment they "know" I'm dodging.

I've also heard stories about people who are really broke/poor, in a worse situation than me(believe it or not), who just run away from the ticket inspectors onto the street when the doors open. Apparently there's not really anything they can/will do(maybe it depends on the city). I haven't tried that yet as I've been too scared but I do have decently much to lose.

pitbullowner

Pelican
Where I live, we don't have public transportation. If you don't have a car, you better have a friend or family with one, or you're screwed.

So seeing this was kinda a culture shock to me

Uprising

Woodpecker
You are no better than the 3rd world migrants flooding into the continent by the millions and mooching off the system.

Disgusting.

Peacock
Gold Member
Yeah it's far worse if you do it as a foreigner, you have to show respect for local laws as a guest. As well if you get caught in a place like Hungary for evading a $2 fare, it might go on your record and block you from future work visas there. Dumb idea all the way.

Fare evasion yes. Had quite the time. In Romania told some ticket inspectors to fuck off while they were writing up the ticket. Threw that shit on the ground and left the country right after that.

When I lived in Bulgaria I never paid for transit tickets, especially on buses. Was never caught.

Does it generate a thrill, yeah. But I would not be doing it in western europe where the fines are way higher.

I was in Budapest before, currently am somewhere else. In Budapest it was easy enough to get a monthly pass. You might be able to guess which city I'm in now but I've been buying over a dozen single use tickets because they don't have an easy way to buy a monthly... Gets pretty annoying.

Might be rationalising but in my defense I probably paid about as much(perhaps decently more) in fines than the fare might be.

Also an interesting cultural difference. In Auckland busses/ferries you actually can't fare dodge as you can only enter where the driver can see you and you literally have to tap a card or pay cash. Fascinating that here the vast majority of people just go on and do nothing, and turns out they pretty much all paid

Blake2

Robin
Its interesting how most people in Europe pay their fees while in other countries they would only do so if forced.

Imagine a ticket collector coming to check passengers in New York or Los Angeles! He wouldn't get a penny unless he had an armed police officer backing him up.

Cultural differences.

OP, I don't get why its such a rush for you. You just get off the bus if they try to fine you. They aren't armed with guns and I doubt they can pin down a grown man.
If you find the transportation efficient and worthwhile, you should pay to show gratitude. All up to you.

^^ they do not pay in many of the places I've traveled in central/ eastern Europe because they are impoverished shitholes.

Screwing over "the man" is practically a national past-time in Eastern Europe, even if it is an on balance good thing to follow the law and promote societal harmony.

In all fairness, though, I got far more enjoyment out of treating eastern europe like a trash can, like the natives did, than I did evading fares. Public urination was practically my middle name, and did, in fact, stop using trash cans.

I still remember the time some crazy cat lady was yelling at me at me in the middle of the day when I was hammered, pissing on a blokovi, that was fun I didn't speak her language but i assumed she was angry.

Blake2

Robin
Travola said:
^^ they do not pay in many of the places I've traveled in central/ eastern Europe because they are impoverished shitholes.

Screwing over "the man" is practically a national past-time in Eastern Europe, even if it is an on balance good thing to follow the law and promote societal harmony.
Yah, in some of those places the government is corrupt and the transportation slow, dangerous, and dirty. Its amazing the locals are as civil as they are. I guess they don't realize how shitty they have it at times. Actually, a lot of them do which is why they have mass emmigration.

It's probably the same rush as the lottery or slot machines, but reversed. Instead of slowly losing money and hitting jackpots you slowly save money and hit "bankruptcy".

I've been paying/validating my ticket most of the time. But especially if you're tired or the trip is particularly short then it's tempting to just settle in instead of bothering with the machines.

Probably I could run for the hell of it. I would do it if I was in a much worse situation in life where I ultimately wouldn't mind getting in legal trouble(even if a very long shot), or were familiar with how the inspection works.

^^Not to mention some of the buses, trains, trams etc are freaking 40-50 years old, looks like it was made in some ramshackle factory in the Soviet Union. I don't know how the things are able to pass safety inspections. In addition, the pollution is frankly horrible, especially because of the number of diesel cars on the roads that are emitting sulphur oxide and other pollutants.

Thing is even though the governance is shitty there are no outsiders or migrants making the place more dangerous.

The Catalyst said:
It's probably the same rush as the lottery or slot machines, but reversed. Instead of slowly losing money and hitting jackpots you slowly save money and hit "bankruptcy".

I've been paying/validating my ticket most of the time. But especially if you're tired or the trip is particularly short then it's tempting to just settle in instead of bothering with the machines.

Probably I could run for the hell of it. I would do it if I was in a much worse situation in life where I ultimately wouldn't mind getting in legal trouble(even if a very long shot), or were familiar with how the inspection works.
Two things:

1) Speak loudly in english, this usually works when they are doing rounds. You can also ignore them.

2) Running is usually advisable they don't have the power to hold you against your will, generally, but they try to cooerce you to wait until the police can come. In such circumstances it is advisable to run.

antman333

Sparrow
Interesting article on the subject. This doesn't reflect any opinion I have on it

Subway turnstile jumpers saving loads of money, even when they are caught, study shows

The Metropolitan Transportation Authority's subway division estimated fare-beaters entered without paying 18.5 million times in 2009 - an astounding average of 50,684 a day. Cops issued just 120,000 summonses that year.

Evaders have a small chance of getting a summons, so small that not paying for a ride makes economic sense to some straphangers, a new study shows.

A routine subway-fare scofflaw can expect to get hit with a $100 fine every six to 13 weeks, MTA analysts found.

Even with the fine, that was cheaper than buying a series of $27 weekly MetroCard passes, which adds up to $162 in a six-week span, the report said. After paying the summons, a fare-beater would save at least $62.

rainy

Woodpecker
Travola said:

In all fairness, though, I got far more enjoyment out of treating eastern europe like a trash can, like the natives did, than I did evading fares. Public urination was practically my middle name, and did, in fact, stop using trash cans.
You simply sound like an asshole. And if that's how you actually act then you simply are an asshole.

Have some self respect.

And no, the natives in EE don't treat their surroundings like a trash can. Just because their economies crumbled after the fall of communism doesn't mean the average person doesn't care and have pride in their country.

Don't visit someone else's home, treat it like shit and then convince yourself it's fine because you tell yourself locals do the same.

Repo

Hummingbird
If your going to be a leech on society, I say take it all the way. Start stealing and selling drugs, maybe push the occasional person into traffic. The thrill will be much higher due to the greater risk.

Captain Gh

Ostrich
Gold Member
OP the reason why you shouldn't do it has nothing to do with Honor, honesty or anything else. You shouldn't do it because this "petty theft" will bleed into other area of your life!

Vibrations are real... Cruz they reflect your thoughts... and if you think of doing lgnorent shit like this... you're essentially taking on that ignorance willingly!

These pretty actions are literally the chain keeping you from achieving what you want... even if a Small fare evasion seems unrelated to your Hope & dream

And it's funny that you compare this to the lottery. What is lottery? It's simply taxes being taken from the poor who play it abusively... and a small sedative for the rest

pitbullowner

Pelican
now that i have some perspective from the other posters, Yeah OP, it's kinda trashy to basically be a guest in another country then basically brag about how you're using their services for for free like a friggin leech.

I had to think about anything similar in my short 3.5 decades of life:, ...but it reminds me about a time when i worked in my early 20s of when i worked with a bunch of mexicans in construction/remodeling and had a lead old grizzled foreman that was fluent in spanish (but the mexican workers didn't know it) that told me how he hated some of them bragged about taking advantage of the american system and were getting away with it.

(We couldn't fire them because it was the downturn of the economy and the contractor couldn't afford to fire me because i was next in line behind the foreman because I was the only one with a clean drivers license record that could drive the bigger Class C and B CDL required vehicles)

Afterwards , I had a feeling of disgust working around them. You've honestly given me that impression man...if you came here to look at this story as a way to brag about your pathetic degenerate acts,...then you'll get scourge here.Come on man, grow up and don't act like some loser scumbag trying to rationalize with their hamster. Give unto Ceasar which is Ceasar, give unto God which is Gods.

Don't do these things anymore man.