Fasting and weight lifting

tractor

Robin
received_329547465140300-jpeg.29417

(stolen from the Christian memes lounge)

I was considering posting this in the health section but I think this topic would be particularly interesting for the Ortho bros here who pump iron from time to time.

Orthodox people fast. Like a LOT. If done properly, fasting should elevate your spirit at the expence of flesh which has direct consequences for your muscle work.

So what can someone do during the Great Lent (and other fasting days, like Wednesday and Friday) in order to maintain strength and fitness?

Do you adjust you workouts at all? And if yes, how?
  • Should the low rep max effort routine be completely avoided if you live on vegetables? Or is it reasonable if you take soy (uhh...) powder?
  • Does it make sense to avoid training for mass altogether?
  • Are whole body kettlebell workouts would be generally a better option for prolongued fasting periods?

NickK

Robin
I tried doing it and failed during the Nativity fast, which is actually a much easier fast than Lent, since you can eat fish almost every day.
If you guys have a secret, I'd like to know about it.
Until then, I plan to cut aggressively during Lent without lifting, just aero.

Pelern

Sparrow
It depends how you fast I would imagine. I think you should be able to get away with one day a week of fasting on one of your rest days.

Any more than that and you might run into issues getting enough calories..

If it's just a one time fast where you fast a couple times a week for one week, you shouldn't lose too much mass during that week, though you might want to cut back on your workouts a bit for that one week

Aizen

Kingfisher
I work out fasted everyday. This includes heavy deadlifting. The trick is to do it in the morning, it's not as hard as you might think. If you're doing an extended fast however (multiple days long), I would use those as off-days. As long as your consistent outside of these days it shouldn't be an issue.

bucky

Ostrich
Not a religious fast, but I do an intermittent fast of at least 16 hours almost every day. Like Jiggy, I work out in the early morning. Typically I'll get up around 5:00am and start my work out sometime between 6:00am and 7:00am, then have my first meal of the day around 10:00am or 11:00am. It's not difficult at all, but I do have a caffeine-based preworkout before training that has maybe 20 or 30 calories, so I'm not sure if that would count as a fast for Orthodox religious purposes.

tractor

Robin
I work out fasted everyday. This includes heavy deadlifting. The trick is to do it in the morning, it's not as hard as you might think. If you're doing an extended fast however (multiple days long), I would use those as off-days. As long as your consistent outside of these days it shouldn't be an issue.

Is fasting in your case means intermittent fasting (skipping breakfast or only eating one huge pile in the evening)? In these cases, I wouldn't make any adjustments either.

The issue is what training routine would make most sense if you don't eat eggs, dairy and meat for 40 days. I understand it's not the best period to grow mass. So I rather expect to maintain some strength so I wouldn't have to be in pain after I resume the normal routine.

tractor

Robin
If it's just a one time fast where you fast a couple times a week for one week, you shouldn't lose too much mass during that week, though you might want to cut back on your workouts a bit for that one week

Fasting a couple of times a week is almost every week (Wednesday and Friday). I accustomed myself to it. I defined my workout load and schedule with this in mind but the Great Lent is quite a challenge... (I'm on the old calender so I haven't started yet).

tractor

Robin
What milk protein substitute would you recommend?

I don't want to take soy. Other alternatives I found are pea, hemp and brown rice protein. Are those any good?