Fasting food ideas.(My priest recommends 3 days before Liturgy plus the Wednesday fast makes 4 1/2 days of fasting each week...if I've figured right)

christie2

Robin
Woman
Orthodox
Idea for thread from nagareboshi's thread in men's forum

1)Hummus without oil.

In food processor blend 14 fl.oz can of chickpeas WITH their liquid, 2 heaping tablespoons tahini sauce(from a jar found in specialty section of grocery store)
1/4 of a squeezed fresh lemon juice, 1-3 garlic cloves,chopped fine; add a little water as necessary when blending. Only blend 80% to leave some nice chickpea chunks.

Spread/pour on plate, sprinkle paprika and dot with favourite olives all around. Tear off pieces of pita bread or naan bread to scoop up hummus. This is filling, good prebiotic and fiber source and nutritious.

2) Oat yogurt with ground black chia seed, hemp hearts and defrosted berries from their frozen bag. Pricey for ingredients but high in protein and nutrients and satiating.

3) 3 tablespoons ground, black chia seed, 3/4 cup hemp hearts and green pumpkin/pepito? seeds in a bowl and pour almond milk over.

4)Peanut butter with sliced bananas on bread with cinnamon on top.

Please add some ideas.

I hope these foods were all compliant, correct me if I'm wrong.

Last edited:

Ah_Tibor

Kingfisher
Woman
Orthodox
Potato/vegetable pancakes
Roasted potatoes, other vegetables
Eggplant cutlets, either by themselves or with pasta
Green beans in tomato sauce ("Greek beans")
Vegetable potstickers
Lenten pirogi
Kasha, rice, couscous, etc.
Lentil pilaf (I like regular rice pilaf, too-- brown some crushed up pasta or orzo, add rice and stock and cook until the water is absorbed)
Lentils in general
Soups with bread and/or salad
Salads!
You can kind of squish any kind of bean or vegetable into a patty and then fry it.

Corn starch slurry is a good substitute for eggs in baked (or fried) goods. Pretty much any recipe can be adapted this way, I make chocolate chip cookies. :)

I do eggplant cutlets by slicing the eggplant, salt/drain, dredge in flour and cornstarch slurry, and then cover in breadcrumbs and fry.

If you have an Aldi near you, most of their meat substitutes are vegan. They also kind of taste like crap so you don't have to worry about the "well if I'm enjoying a substitute am I fasting" school of thought. Sometimes I run out of ideas and we have "chicken" and mashed potatoes or whatever.

They also had frozen falafel recently that was really good-- or you can make your own.

I usually end up eating veggie wraps a lot. I can't eat seafood (hives) but I'll make shrimp or other seafood for my husband. His mom would make tilapia or pasta and he's more resistant as an adult, but he likes my dinners (and I'm not about to police what he eats or doesn't eat)

My favorite Lenten cookbook

Ah_Tibor

Kingfisher
Woman
Orthodox
Also, don't underestimate pasta! Pasta with beans, peppers, or mushrooms. :)

Potatoes and mushrooms are always a good combination.

I end up eating salad and fries when we're out sometimes. Although I do that anyway (my dinner at work the other day)

Cabbage! Cabbage with noodles; you can also make meatless stuffed cabbage that is pretty tasty (my mom would use "textured vegetable protein" but you can use kasha or some other grain)

https://www.weightwatchers.com/us/recipe/health-salad-1/5626a6073d92b3c10eb8b5bc I like this more than cole slaw tbh (me and mayo don't always get along)

Oda Mae

Pigeon
Woman
Orthodox Inquirer
Ooh, thanks for the ideas! I tend to get into a rut. . These always make the list. Cowboy beans and creamy potato soup. I also made up one.

My 'recipe' -Genie's Lenten Tortilla. Can of black beans, drained, rinsed, heated with chord onion and maybe a chopped jalapeno or green pepper if I have one in stock, and a little water, cumin and chili powder. Cook until heated well, then mash slightly. Put spinach wrap in skillet and when it starts to crisp, add beans in thin layer on half, fold over and cook a few more mintes, then slide on a plate and top with some sriracha sauce. Makes two.

Ah_Tibor

Kingfisher
Woman
Orthodox
Fasting 3 days before Liturgy??? I've been in the Church for over 10 years and have never heard that..in fact, it's my understanding that you are NOT supposed to fast on Saturdays (other than specific particular fast days on the calendar) per canon law.

Same for Sundays. Also the oil-free thing is random, I know some (mostly Greeks) who eschew olive oil but that's it.

Oda Mae

Pigeon
Woman
Orthodox Inquirer
I can't vouch for this one, haven't tried it yet, but I just added it to my Lenten Pinterest board, so thought I would share. So excited, it's getting cooler in Georgia and I can start making soups soon.

christie2

Robin
Woman
Orthodox
Yes, this looks appealing. I'd have to third the chili flakes though.(just a tiny sprinkle) I love all these ingredients, but I may also cut back on the cumin and add more ginger.
This would be a filling and healing soup. Parsnips are so good for cleaning up your gut, I like that they're in here.

This is a good recipe, thanks for sharing.

That's awesome you have a Lenten themed board.
That's awesome you're excited that its getting cooler. I like cooler weather too, autumn is my favourite season.

I will try this and let you know.

christie2

Robin
Woman
Orthodox
Yes, @Oda Mae, this African sweet potato and peanut butter soup is very good.

Thank you again, I'm amazed at how much it made--the sweet potatoes I used were huge. I have a really tasty, high vitamin a and c, and high estrogen soup now for lunches, please try this!

Owlet

Pigeon
Woman
Orthodox
Nativity Fast will be full summer here in Australia, so I need more no-cook fasting ideas, preferably grain- & sugar-free.

christie2

Robin
Woman
Orthodox
I found this one and added it to my Pinterest board. Looks like it will work if you leave off the parmesan cheese.

Ok, I'll try this tomorrow.

About the only place I've even seen escarole is in field greens mixes. I wonder if those restaurant supply houses will sell to the public-they could get me escarole; I'll call to see if I can get it or else I'll just substitute.

I want to try this. This is an interesting combo of flavours.

Nutritional yeast as a sub for parmesan....interesting, I 'll look up what that is.

Ah_Tibor

Kingfisher
Woman
Orthodox

About the only place I've even seen escarole is in field greens mixes. I wonder if those restaurant supply houses will sell to the public-they could get me escarole; I'll call to see if I can get it or else I'll just substitute

Really? I see it in the produce section in regular supermarkets all the time. Maybe it's a regional thing.

Spinach is good in soups.

Oda Mae

Pigeon
Woman
Orthodox Inquirer

About the only place I've even seen escarole is in field greens mixes. I wonder if those restaurant supply houses will sell to the public-they could get me escarole; I'll call to see if I can get it or else I'll just substitute.

Nutritional yeast as a sub for parmesan....interesting, I 'll look up what that is.
I would try kale. We love it and substitute in lots of recipes. We also use collards, but I realize not everyone is lucky enough to have them fresh. ;) Thinking I will try a different type of bean, chickpea consistency is not my husband's favorite, a bit mealy. (That said, have you ever made a socca with chickpea flour? Delicious! And perfect for fast days that allow oil. I'll put that up for you later. )

Just saw the nutritional yeast part. I buy mine at a local health food restaurant/store run by 7th Day Adventists. It is actually a good substitute for cheese. I have a cheeseburger soup recipe that calls for it. The only downside - it doesn't taste quite the same the next day or if you've frozen the soup. So I try not to use it in anything that will give me a lot of leftovers.

Ah_Tibor

Kingfisher
Woman
Orthodox
Just saw the nutritional yeast part. I buy mine at a local health food restaurant/store run by 7th Day Adventists. It is actually a good substitute for cheese. I have a cheeseburger soup recipe that calls for it. The only downside - it doesn't taste quite the same the next day or if you've frozen the soup. So I try not to use it in anything that will give me a lot of leftovers

My mom would use nutritional yeast in a lot of things (she's also been a vegetarian for 40+ years, so I've eaten my fair share of substitutes, some are better than others). It's a very specific taste that you can't forget. She'd make a "tofu scramble" with nutritional yeast and turmeric that definitely wasn't scrambled eggs, haha.

Church cookbooks pre-1980 have some very good Lenten recipes. Churches are always throwing things out so it's worth it to poke around.

This is a good one, too!

Oda Mae

Pigeon
Woman
Orthodox Inquirer
Trying the first one later, but I might use black olives instead of green ones. Hmmm. And if I can't have olive oil, are olives permitted?

I like that I can add meat after I fix it, since my husband likes his protein.

And I'd forgotten this one, I loved it! Took it to work every day for lunch for a week. Which might be why it's been out of rotation for the last year. ;) If it's not an oil day, you have to try a work around for roasting.

Finally, here's my socca one I like the best. I normally sprinkle with sea salt and chopped herbs, and can add a little cumin to the batter or similar. You can go crazy with trying different toppings. Just make sure you rest it before pouring into the skillet. And again - you need the olive oil. So not every fast day, but every once in a while.

I seem to have very few recipes for the days when oil is off the ingredient list. I endure those days, I think.

Oda Mae

Pigeon
Woman
Orthodox Inquirer
Okay, last one - can you tell I'm having a good time on my 'sick' day? I am early days into my journey to Orthodoxy, and it has been a steep, but wonderful, learning curve for this raised-Southern-Baptist woman. There are several websites I am using to learn more about the traditions of Orthodoxy. This greek one also had some good recipes. Check the right margin to search by ingredients. I am fascinated by the braided bread with red egg.

christie2

Robin
Woman
Orthodox
Oh I wish I could read the internet more at work. I want to read everything in detail. I stay overtime today too so I'll eead more thoroughly at home later, thank you for replying everyone