Fasting food ideas.(My priest recommends 3 days before Liturgy plus the Wednesday fast makes 4 1/2 days of fasting each week...if I've figured right)

soli.deo.gloria

Woodpecker
Orthodox
Gold Member
Idea for thread from nagareboshi's thread in men's forum

1)Hummus without oil.

In food processor blend 14 fl.oz can of chickpeas WITH their liquid, 2 heaping tablespoons tahini sauce(from a jar found in specialty section of grocery store)
1/4 of a squeezed fresh lemon juice, 1-3 garlic cloves,chopped fine; add a little water as necessary when blending. Only blend 80% to leave some nice chickpea chunks.

Spread/pour on plate, sprinkle paprika and dot with favourite olives all around. Tear off pieces of pita bread or naan bread to scoop up hummus. This is filling, good prebiotic and fiber source and nutritious.

2) Oat yogurt with ground black chia seed, hemp hearts and defrosted berries from their frozen bag. Pricey for ingredients but high in protein and nutrients and satiating.

3) 3 tablespoons ground, black chia seed, 3/4 cup hemp hearts and green pumpkin/pepito? seeds in a bowl and pour almond milk over.

4)Peanut butter with sliced bananas on bread with cinnamon on top.

Please add some ideas.

I hope these foods were all compliant, correct me if I'm wrong.
I'm pretty sure coconut oil is allowed so I would suggest using that as a substitute for olive oil & butter. Also keep in mind that shrimp, crab, and lobster are allowed on all fasting days. Black beans & rice is awesome, one of my fav's (but I can't eat carbs for now). You can buy the beans pre-seasoned and ready to eat in a can if you don't want to make it from scratch.

Also regarding fasting, if you didn't know there are different ways to do it. For example you can do midnight to midnight, or evening to evening (i.e. 6pm to 6pm). I personally prefer evening to evening because it allows me to eat a proper dinner every day of the weak, I just have to eat a little early on Tue and Thu and then a little later on Wed and Fri.

Last edited:

christie2

Woodpecker
Woman
Non-Christian
Thank you for your suggestions @soli.deo.gloria.
I didn't know that coconut oil is allowed. I saw a recipe on a redpiller's public twitter the other day that seared shortribs in avocado oil....I wonder if that oil is allowed also?

I have already been eating more shrimp, crab and octopus as well.

I have really been slacking on fasting but will gear up soon for the upcoming big fast. Does that start in 2 weeks?

I know the Muslims will eat after sundown on their fasting days.

I was being ultra strict with myself and going completely on the day it fell on. Tired, don't know if I'm making sense.
Then I was doing what my priest suggested until I started to feel weak and dizzy at work....but I had reduced calories as well with almost no protein sources and I shouldn't have.

I need immense strength and stamina and a constantly revved up metabolism during working hours as I work in a physically demanding job outdoors, which I'll keep private on the internet.

I was checking everyday on orthochristian site for the required fast in the calendar section, now, not so much.
My fail forward with the fasting and the failing with a recent health decision I made and the inability to wear a mask during too many services has me feeling like I can't be orthodox Christian.

I'm doing scorched earth with paying debt and haven't had a lot of money for more than sandwiches and soup.
Next Friday all my 'live' debt is gone though. So I'm humbly grateful to God for succeeding at one thing. Also, my health is fantastic---I stand by my decisions I make with my health as priority.

I saw that you started 'following' me on here, I'm not sure why. I don't like leading, thanks.And thanks for reading.

soli.deo.gloria

Woodpecker
Orthodox
Gold Member
I didn't know that coconut oil is allowed. I saw a recipe on a redpiller's public twitter the other day that seared shortribs in avocado oil....I wonder if that oil is allowed also?

I have really been slacking on fasting but will gear up soon for the upcoming big fast. Does that start in 2 weeks?

I was being ultra strict with myself and going completely on the day it fell on. Tired, don't know if I'm making sense.
Then I was doing what my priest suggested until I started to feel weak and dizzy at work....but I had reduced calories as well with almost no protein sources and I shouldn't have.

I need immense strength and stamina and a constantly revved up metabolism during working hours as I work in a physically demanding job outdoors, which I'll keep private on the internet.

I was checking everyday on orthochristian site for the required fast in the calendar section, now, not so much.
My fail forward with the fasting and the failing with a recent health decision I made and the inability to wear a mask during too many services has me feeling like I can't be orthodox Christian.

I'm doing scorched earth with paying debt and haven't had a lot of money for more than sandwiches and soup.
Next Friday all my 'live' debt is gone though. So I'm humbly grateful to God for succeeding at one thing. Also, my health is fantastic---I stand by my decisions I make with my health as priority.

I saw that you started 'following' me on here, I'm not sure why. I don't like leading, thanks.And thanks for reading.

Yes I believe coconut oil/milk/water is all fine (and avocado). Here is a nice article I found regarding that: https://orthodoxfastingrecipes.wordpress.com/2008/11/29/cooking-without-oil/

Another thing I've found which really helps is Munk Pack bars/cookies. I follow a keto diet so it's even more difficult for me when fasting since pretty much all I eat is meat and dairy. A lot of the protein bars I rely on have milk as their primary source for the protein but the Munk bars don't and they taste pretty good. I also eat a lot of nuts and seeds and lately I've been trying to eat more vegetables and salad type stuff during fasting days.

You definitely shouldn't fast to the point where it makes you sick or dizzy. I would strongly advise you to talk to an Orthodox priest and determine an appropriate fasting plan. Fasting is something that is meant to help, not hurt you. For sure don't let that become a stumbling block for your faith.

I just 'follow' people for fun, it doesn't really do anything. It's a bit like collecting Pokémon. :)

Starlight

Kingfisher
Woman
Protestant

Your passion for our God and Christ and His Church is really inspiring Christie2. Do not be discouraged.

christie2

Woodpecker
Woman
Non-Christian
Aww, I'm sorry to hear that @Starlight.
I'm glad today is better for you.
I'm going to say a quick prayer of thanks for you making me feel better and another one when I get to the Church tonight.

God bless you

christie2

Woodpecker
Woman
Non-Christian
One of the monasteries has a Lenten cookbook that could be used for the upcoming fast. I'll look again, I think its 15 bucks.

Easy_C

Peacock
Also depends what you're doing. I'm a big fan of those vegetarian protein drinks. The advantage of the liquid fasts is that you can achieve some of the penitential benefits (since you aren't filling up or eating anything solid) at times when you need to eat for work or other reasons.

nagareboshi

Kingfisher
Orthodox
Crispy Turkish pancakes made with just flour, salt, water, and oil

Makes me think of an Athonite monk who only made pancakes for himself to eat using the simple ingredients

I’m sure this recipe would be fairly good without the oil too

christie2

Woodpecker
Woman
Non-Christian
That will be good.
I think applesauce is a substitute for oil. I just remembered that reading your post nagareboshi.

I think I have it saved somewhere on a 'substitutions' poster image.

I know my 'Secrets of fatfree baking ' book stated this; also, prune puree was a substitute.for oil....but that would be a stronger taste.
I wonder if I can find most of my cookbooks on google books? My books are separated, I don't have that one with me right now.

Galaxy_Traveler

Robin
Other Christian
I'll just throw this in here as a thought: Prolonged fasting for women is a bad idea. Note how in most of the religious texts that give an example of fasting, such as Jesus fasting for 40 days, are referencing men, not women. The female body reacts differently to extreme stress such as intense exercise (which can lead to temporary infertility) or fasting for more than 24 hours. Fertility is fragile. It's your own decision but I'm just throwing this in here, to be careful with examples of fasting that comes from a male experience.

christie2

Woodpecker
Woman
Non-Christian
Can I tell you a secret Galaxy Traveler? (*we're on the internet, some secret)
I'm only giving up one major food item, wheat flour.....this 40 days.

I took off the religious tag well in advance so I don't get too much condescending indignation I'm doing things wrong.
If you've read any of the wheat belly or grain brain books I can confirm that giving up wheat flour greatly reduces my appetite so I'm still effectively reducing my intake of the required fasting foods.

I have an extremely physical , outdoors-in-4-seasons job so I need a balanced nutritious diet and unfortunately, my vegan cooking/food preparation skills aren't there yet.
By the time of the next major fast I will have more required dishes in my repertoire, I expect.

So I agree with you Galaxy, nice to read this.

IconWriter

Woodpecker
Woman
Orthodox
Gold Member
Addressing a comment above by Galaxy Traveler about fasting for women: Orthodox fasting isn't the same as fasting that others do. It is a spiritual exercise/discipline to strenthen the spirit and eating simply, and to not be ruled by the stomach. They give up meat and dairy, but can have seafood at times and other proteins. It can be even more healthy than regular random eating. They eat more vegetables and fruits, (and carbs), beans, lentils, etc and avoid eating too much of those. It's not considered a sin to break the fast, just not as helpful. The focus is more prayer, alms-giving, scripture and other Christian reading, loving others, and not on food.

Kitty Tantrum

Kingfisher
Woman
Catholic
This kind of "fasting" sounds like pretty much how my dad eats NEARLY 100% of the time.

(Cannot deny the obvious health benefits; he started eating like this a few years ago and I've gone from worrying about his health and longevity at times, to being like "holy crap, he's gotten spry for an old man.")

So I'm curious - if someone's regular diet already precludes all of the foods they're supposed to go without when fasting -- would they be recommended to forego "extra" things in the spirit of obedience, or to attain a spiritual condition or state above and beyond their usual?

I've had such a hard time wrapping my head around "fasting" in the Christian context, because I grew up fasting for certain Vedic holidays, and that always meant no food. On at least one day out of the year that I recall, it was no food AND no water for 24 hours.

For someone who grew up really poor and eating mostly things like lentils, fruits, vegetables, etc. anyway, my kneejerk reaction is "Fasting? That just sounds like EATING!"