Fasting

Pavel

Why not push your meals back to 1pm and 7pm?

It's easier to fast in the mornings in my experience, since you can drink black coffee to curb your hunger.
That's a good idea. But it's four days in row I am doing OMAD (one meal a day) where I eat one big KETO meal at 4pm.

With that meal I can go to bed with no problem. But the next day I usually struggle from 10AM. It gets very hard after 1PM.

I am in calorie deficit I guess as I really want to lose 10-15 KG. It's a real challenge thou.

tractor

Robin
I started fasting this year. Previously, I followed Hofmekler's Warrior Diet (eating once per day within a 4 hours timeframe). I liked it a lot but with the birth of my first child in October last year, it got really hard to prepare all these meals in the evening

Now, I usually fast a whole day (with the hours from the previous day and the waiting hours next day, it equals 35-36 hours of fasting) 1-2 times per month. Feels great. What I've noticed is that I want to drink more water while fasting and I feel colder.

At some point, I want to fast two days in a row. Any advice?

NickK

Sparrow
I dunno, I feel sleepy throughout the day when I fast for 2-3 days. But I 'm still in the beginning. Who knows, maybe after the first week it gets better. I did eat a couple of fruits during these 3 days. I have cravings for simple things like a raw tomato, something I would snub before.

andy dufresne

Kingfisher
The reason why Fasting isn't promoted is because it is one of the healthiest things that you possibly do.

We are the only species that eats when we are sick. Mainly out of habit. Sick and want to get healthy? Don't eat or consume any calories. All that energy your body uses to digest goes into healing. Of course most of the garbage we eat makes us sick to begin with but that's a different story.

kel

Pelican
I started fasting this year. Previously, I followed Hofmekler's Warrior Diet (eating once per day within a 4 hours timeframe). I liked it a lot but with the birth of my first child in October last year, it got really hard to prepare all these meals in the evening

Now, I usually fast a whole day (with the hours from the previous day and the waiting hours next day, it equals 35-36 hours of fasting) 1-2 times per month. Feels great. What I've noticed is that I want to drink more water while fasting and I feel colder.

At some point, I want to fast two days in a row. Any advice?

Really no advice except to just do it. I, likewise, start my fasts at night and go until morning such that I get an extra 12+ hours in a fasted state on top of whatever I'm targeting. I did my first three-day fast recently (ended up being about 86 hours, accordingly) and felt great for it. Then I ate for a day and rolled it into another day (36 hour) fast. I drank some snake juice JIC for some electrolytes, and personally I drank a fair bit of tea (black, green, and herbal) which is nice to distract you. Other than that, just have lots planned. Dive right into work upon waking up, make a list of all the little things you've been meaning to do but always slip your mind. If you find yourself thinking about food, go do one of them.

tractor

Robin
Really no advice except to just do it. I, likewise, start my fasts at night and go until morning such that I get an extra 12+ hours in a fasted state on top of whatever I'm targeting. I did my first three-day fast recently (ended up being about 86 hours, accordingly) and felt great for it. Then I ate for a day and rolled it into another day (36 hour) fast. I drank some snake juice JIC for some electrolytes, and personally I drank a fair bit of tea (black, green, and herbal) which is nice to distract you. Other than that, just have lots planned. Dive right into work upon waking up, make a list of all the little things you've been meaning to do but always slip your mind. If you find yourself thinking about food, go do one of them.

Cool. I think I'm gonna do it. This month :)

godfather dust

Ostrich
Gold Member
I have a thread on here sometime... I went from over 300 pounds at 6'3" to my current weight (ranging from 218-about 230, 226 right now) from about 9 months of intermittent fasting.

It pretty well broke my food addiction, now I eat when I want/am hungry and am able to maintain weight, though my health has gotten worse since gym lockdown. I actually just set up a small gym (bench, weights) in local relatives place a couple weeks ago.

tractor

Robin
Does anyone here have a wife who did some kind of intermittent fasting while breastfeeding? I know my wife could benefit from not eating from 7 am to 6 pm but I'm not sure if, say, 16 hours of fasting is healthy for a mother who breastfeds.

oilbreh

Woodpecker
Does anyone here have a wife who did some kind of intermittent fasting while breastfeeding? I know my wife could benefit from not eating from 7 am to 6 pm but I'm not sure if, say, 16 hours of fasting is healthy for a mother who breastfeds.
Not sure but seems that most fasting traditions make exceptions for women that are even menstruating. Also the caloric load would be rather high for the window period. Probably would be fine considering how nature built our bodies but there's prob also a reason why old fertility statues are rather plump.

Stadtaffe

Sparrow
Gold Member
A month or so ago I found Cole Robinson's snake diet and initially started watching the videos. This happened as I was looking for electrolyte fasting, as somehow both after extreme sport or fasting, I sometimes really did not feel good on just water. Now I am set up with potassium chloride, himalayan pink salt, epsom salts and sodium bicarbonate as well as snake diet premix for when I am impatient. For a few weeks have had many days of 24 hour fasts, eating only breakfast, and slowly lost a few kilos.

I avoided the initial 48 + 72 hour fast as I had done up to 60 previously and was not in the mood or life situation for something that extreme. Now, however, I changed my surroundings and was able to do a 72 hour fast, very strictly. The second and third night I woke up at 4am and could not get back to sleep. After the 72 hours were up, I ate a normal size breakfast and was incredibly full for the few hours after. Then I was completely and totally exhausted for the rest of the day. On the days of starving, the sensation was not really hunger, but more bodily weakness, and a light-headedness with lowered ability to think.

Ketosis level was measured with ketostix. It was zero at the start, detectable after 16 hours and one less than the maximum after 3 days. Maybe after 4 days it would have been at max or perhaps not everyone's body goes that high.

Also, there is less body heat generated. Need to sleep suddenly with a heater on.

I liked what I saw in the mirror however after the three days - considerable fat was gone from where I needed it gone. The scales were also kind. I am not really a fattie as such, but as many other posters have written, have just never in my life really been cut and ripped. Now I would like to become that way and be considerably lighter.

The exhaustion after the refeed on the third day was so extreme it makes me think twice about trying that again. Also, I can't really get much useful done once beyond 24 hours without food, so maybe OMAD may be the most suitable.

Cole states in one of his videos, that the shortest time between meals where you can not have to count calories and still lose weight is 48 hours. So with OMAD you still must not go overboard. Am speaking for myself of course, everyone has a different metabolism.

Am also switching away from my usual consistent cardio towards more weights, less running, and if running then slow jogging only, with the pulse rate not above the fat burning zone.

I definitely feel that Cole's material is full of lots of useful stuff like 'fast yourself to the bone' and 'first lose the fat, then build muscle'.

I am considering trying back-to-back 48's as the first 48 of my 72 was not as bad as the last day. Just seems a bit extreme, and OMAD + an unavoidable 2 hours at the gym per day may be better. Don't want to become a weed through this.

Anyway, I wanted to share, would be nice to hear any comments or motivational ideas. Was anyone else totally exhausted after a refeed after a long fast? Will see how this goes, I might have to start a thread somewhere to keep track of it if it becomes too much of a challenge.

Last edited:

jonottawa

I did an 11 day strict water fast starting in late Dec 2018 (some Canadian youtuber in Thailand sent me down that disastrous route.) That's a mistake. You shouldn't go that long without electrolytes (sodium/potassium especially.)

Then I found the Snake Diet that is referenced above. So I bought the pink salt and the no salt (potassium chloride powder) and did that for a couple of months and (combined with the weight loss from the water fast) lost 40 lbs (went from 217 or so to 177 or so.)

By summer I had completely gained all the weight back.

A couple of months ago I decided to try again, but to not 'declare victory' until I'd kept the weight off for like 6 months or whatever. Part of the problem was that while I was fasting I would plan for the sumptuous cheat meals that I'd be able to eat when the fast ended. You can't use food as a reward. You also can't beat yourself up if you mess up. You just have to get back on track.

Anyway, I didn't do any super-long fasts this time, I think the longest was about 4 days, and mostly it was just '48's'. My advice is not to eat carbs, because in my experience carbs drive hunger. Eat all the eggs you want. Put all the salt and pepper on them you want. An egg is only 70 calories.

I'm down from 213 (39" waist) (when I started doing a daily video journal back in mid-July) to 176 (34-35" waist) this morning. I don't feel hungry or like I'm missing out on something. I didn't use any of the potassium chloride powder for this diet because I haven't gone that long without food.

So yes, I can partially recommend the Snake Diet, but be aware that a LOT of people yo-yo on that diet and you should be aware that it's probably going to take as much willpower to keep the weight off as it did to take the weight off if you don't change your eating habits permanently.

TheMost

Robin
Cole Robinson did recently say to stop fasting; you need to learn how to eat. He described how he lost 20 pounds in one month while eating 6000 calories a day. He ramped his metabolism way up to pull that stunt off. But that showed me you could lose weight while increasing calories. I've been doing that and losing weight without fasting. It isn't fast, but it isn't slow, I eat until I'm stuffed, and I don't really feel tempted to "cheat" very much. Find your maintenance calories by starting at a baseline, and increase by 100 calories a day until you find where you aren't losing or gaining weight. Then increase your activity until you are losing weight again. Then add 100 calories a day. Repeat until you are up to a healthy amount of calory burning. If you are burning 6000 calories a day and you eat 4000 calories, you will be eating like a horse and still losing a pound a day. Cole Robinson also debunks the "3700 calories per pound" myth of weight loss. He says a pound of human body fat is more like 1700 calories because fat cells are also holding water, they aren't pure fat.

Fasting as a healing and spiritual practice is very valuable. If you don't know your maintenance calories and how to eat healthy, it isn't a good way to lose weight because of the rebound. If you do know those things, you can use it as a tool to lose weight fast.

Stadtaffe

Sparrow
Gold Member
Since I last wrote have been experimenting and evolved with ideas on this.
He says a pound of human body fat is more like 1700 calories because fat cells are also holding water, they aren't pure fat.
..yes I also heard that, but had not realised there was a deception coming from the mainstream. The 3700 is for a pound of olive oil in a jar on the shelf and it is well foreseeable that fat cells would have other things, just water, maybe air, who knows. It's good news as it means you don't need to create so much of a deficit to lose a pound of fat.

Was coming here though to post a development in my routine and experimentation with this. I no longer agree with -

first lose the fat, then build muscle
..for everyone, not for me. I believe that applies more if you are carrying that much extra weight that you can't properly do any exercise. Although I do the fasting from time to time, usually if I need to emergency correct some overeating, I have opted now to gain muscle to increase resting metabolism and am lifting and pumping iron. It has always been said that muscle can replace fat, and if you have goals around masculinity, that is a better prospect that potentially turning into a weed. Also good for your T. If and when I reach my muscle and strength goals, may attempt to do say a 5 day fast to get ripped.

Then have turned away from what I have done most of my life, being cardio, aerobic exercise and am turning now to weights and anaerobic things, very high intensity over a few minutes rather than an hour of running. It fits in with this:
My advice is not to eat carbs, because in my experience carbs drive hunger.
Running is definitely healthy, good for your cardiovascular system, releases endorphins, but I don't believe beyond a certain point that it is good for fat loss or particularly good for your T. It burns all the blood sugars and glycogen and possibly creates more food cravings. It is better to avoid overall 'cycling' of carbs whether eating them or exercising in a way which burns carbs rather than fat if your goal is weight loss and fat loss.

Fasting is cutting on cheat mode.

I go for 23-25 hours a day and eat one meal.

I’m also in my 40s and shredded up like a motherfucker.

For years I banged my head against a brick wall, desperate for 6 pack abs.

Every fucking diet under the sun and to no avail.

Why?

I never learned to control hunger. I created the environment to be hungry several times a day.

Counting calories like some neurotic pussy. I’m sure I almost sprouted a vag, obsessing over ‘macros’.

Now I work out while in a fasted state, torching body fat, with no drop in performance.

Fasting is life.
I intermittent fast daily and throw in a 24 hour to 36 hour weekly. Once a quarter if do a 72 hour fast.

I do it for spiritual practice, as our Church fathers have done and Our Lord, and for health benefits.

Radoste

Sparrow
Fasting is not something to engage in carelessly. When I started it sounded like it had absolutely no downsides and I hadn't seriously begun to study biochemistry, so I just trusted that the blanket statements from people on youtube/blogs because it seemed like they were knowledgeable. I eventually became obsessed with fasting and dietary purity. I would fast for 16-22 hours nearly every day for a couple years, piling on 24-96 hour fasts, shunning carbs and sugar vehemently.
This was also before I considered Christianity an option, so the ability to forgo food and do pull-ups after eating nothing for 60 hours caused my pride to balloon. It shames me to admit, but I unironically felt like I was superior to the people around me that were eating every day.

Yet, I thought about food 24/7. As soon as I finished a meal, I would be thinking about what I would eat at my next meal in twenty hours. In this way, I think I instilled a lust for food in myself far beyond any time in the past, all while ostensibly being disciplined. Additionally, I was cold all the time, all year round. In winter, I needed four layers of clothing and three blankets to sleep comfortably. My mood was always terrible, and I always scrutinized the shortcomings of those around me, my thoughts were fragmented, and my attention was sparse. My teeth became so brittle that they would get chipped on unrefined salt. I cannot tell you why I persisted in this demonstably negative way of life other than it was an engrained habit and the perception of one's own virtuousness makes you do insane things.

Fasting without religion has great potential for both physical and spiritual harm, but I must admit I value the knowledge and perspective gained. I don't presume anyone here would make the same mistakes as me, especially while possessing a Christian worldview, but I figured I would offer my experience as a cautionary tale.

Last edited:

Zagor

Robin
fasting is infinitely easier if you're keto adapted. If you binge on carbs in your only meal of the day of course you'll feel like shit until your next meal, you'll crave that sugar hit like a junkie and will feel like shit. once you're keto adapted and can seamlessly draw energy from your body stores fasting is something that comes naturally.

TheMost

Robin
fasting is infinitely easier if you're keto adapted. If you binge on carbs in your only meal of the day of course you'll feel like shit until your next meal, you'll crave that sugar hit like a junkie and will feel like shit. once you're keto adapted and can seamlessly draw energy from your body stores fasting is something that comes naturally.

Not true if your carbs are the old fashioned type, high in fiber. Whole wheat, whole grains, etc.

Batman_

Kingfisher
I've been doing strict OMAD (24 hrs fast, 30 min feeding window) + keto every day for the past month and I've already lost 10 lbs. All the weight I've lost seems to have been subcutaneous fat from my belly/chest area. I went from having a flabby gut to visible abs already. Incredible.

Last edited: