Fat people thread

Lazuli Waves

Woodpecker
I came across an interesting AMA on Reddit by a former fat activist. It's from 5 years ago. Below are the questions that interested me the most.

https://www.reddit.com/r/TumblrInAc...a_former_fat_positive_social_justice_blogger/

Q: Deleted

A:It's very hard because on one hand I don't claim to know and understand the thoughts and feelings of all SJ-bloggers, but from my own experience I know that it is a very sad, lonely and conflicting experience. I used SJ as a cover for how much I disliked myself. I used the patriarchy, white people, doctors, and whoever else I could get my hands on as an excuse for the situation I had put myself in through overeating and giving up on a lot of things I wish I hadn't.

So, long story short: pity, a lot of pity.

Q: Have you ever had bad experiences with other SJWs? From other ex-SJW stories I've heard it seems common for SJWs to turn on each other over small things.

A: Absolutely. There are people who will sing your praises and fill your inbox with flirty, girly "solidarity" messages only to reblog something you wrote the next day and retort with a message that smacks of catty bullshittery. I got more flak from other SJ bloggers than I ever, ever did from, say, Reddit.

Q: What's your current stance on being overweight? Personally I don't think there's anything wrong with being fat, I just don't think it's healthy or very attractive, so the SJW fatactivists have always seemed very off putting to me, it's always seemed very similar to me of a person who drinks stating there's noshing wrong with alcohol and that people who don't like drinking are evil

A: I am still very overweight, but I don't believe that fat is a moral issue. I agree with you. I don't believe that being fat is healthy and I personally know that I would be far more attractive to myself and my partner if I were in a healthy weight range, which is something I am working toward.

I admit that the entire time I was making fatshion posts and advocating for radical self-love I fucking hated myself. I was trying to go the route of "fake it til you make it" as most SJ bloggers do, but I think the most telling thing is when you see posts where someone has harassed them about their weight and they cry, scream, vent, or rage. I can't help but think someone truly confident about their weight wouldn't give a rat's ass about other's opinions of them. Shrug.

Q: I know this is a weird question to ask, but why did you hate yourself?...

A: This is a pretty emotional question for me because, obviously, I'm still working on a lot of this, but it's totally a combination of the visual and anatomy issues. I want to camp, hike, fuck getting out of the house without feeling depressed and achy was a huge step for me.

When you are really fat, it's not just about wanting to ride a bike. It's about being physically and mentally well enough to be able to get out of bed, brush your fucking teeth and attend work regularly for 8 hour without feeling so tired that when you come home you just collapse and repeat.

I actually plan on my goal weight being somewhere in the 10/12 pant size range as I am 5'11" and I prefer my body that way.

I wonder a lot about if my self-hatred is instigated by media and society. I, mean, of course it is, but is that wrong? Am I weak? Am I morally bankrupt because I actively choose to conform? Or is there intelligence in playing the system to get what I want? I don't have the answer on that one, but I do know that I want to wear pretty dresses, damnit.

Q: I always wonder if the amount of hate mail Sj's are getting is in truth as overwhelming as it is made out to be. Did you get a large amount of hate mail, and did it usually start out vitriolic or did you have to engage them before it became worse? All seems like such effort.

A:I have to be honest, Tumblr is very much dominated by social justice types and their followers who all seem to playing the "whoever accepts the most shit at face value" wins. I can honestly say that I believe a lot of hate mail, especially anonymous hate mail is sent to themselves by themselves. Hate mail is pretty rampant on Tumblr anyways, but I suppose that's the result of the young and female demographic.

Like most social justice bloggers my immediate reaction to hate mail whether it came from a curious, innocent follower or a shout-y anon was always to react with a knee-jerk line up of the same vomit every other SJer has memorized, "It's not my job to educate you", "Racism against white people doesn't exist." "You're a racist/sexist/homophobic shitbag so I don't owe you any explanation for my actions." Etc.

It is a lot of effort and frankly, it sort of sucks you in until you are spending 8-12 hours a day building this persona that really isn't who you are in real life. It's when you start noticing those habits creep into your real life that it seriously fucks you up. That's a huge reason I deleted and got off. I'm still working through some shit from the (completely voluntary) indoctrination I allowed to happen to me.

Q: Why'd you stop?

A: I answered this question below but it was a combination of realizing that my advocacy was a cover for my own personal problems and it was detrimental to my health. I also started coming very paranoid of men and being feminine and dressing/acting how I wanted to.

Q: How has the social justice scene changed you, and how has the scene itself changed from when you started?

A: I still am very paranoid in public. When men say hello or compliment me, no matter how kind or innocent I feel very panicky, upset, outraged, etc. I am overweight and have a lot of health problems and am working on those things.

Q: Wow... They got your blog deleted because you're a "traitor"? Like really? They preach live and let live and equality and personal freedoms a lot but then they go and do things like this and it's just mind blowing. How is this not body policing?

What were your last few posts about anyway?

A: Yes, you can change you hair color, eye color, sex, clothing or body in any way to make yourself happy, but you can't lose weight :)

My last few weeks were mainly pictures of me that people pointed to and went, "Why are you changing your style so much? You look like you've lost weight? Are you sick?" When I told them that I was going through an outpatient program for nutrition and BED some of them were supportive, but the response was overwhelmingly negative.

Q: How did you handle the dissconnect between plus size people wanting to be found attractive by non plus size people and it not happening and then complaints?

A: I certainly parroted the notion that cishet white males were brainwashed to find fat women unattractive because it hurts the patriarchy and the patriarchy must be preserved at all costs.

But the better question is how could be balance our deeply seated desire to be found attractive to hot white boys while also ferociously defending our right to not be fetished by chubby chasers or to not be called BBWs or whatever?

Q: Why don't these women just date fat guys? I'm assuming there's a much lower chance a fat guy is only dating a fat woman for a fetish? Do they think they deserve hot lean guys, but not the other way around?

A: I found this very interesting as well as many of them fangirl over thin, athletic men. I personally am in a long term relationship with a fat (but shrinking) guy and love it because we understand each others struggles and insecurities and can use the right kind of motivation to get our shit together.

As for other women, I honestly think it's a bit of blind hypocrisy. Their preferences are fine, but the fact that the majority of men aren't interest in women over 300 lbs is somehow a problem. I wish I had a better answer for you on that one.

Q: Out of curiosity, what was their rationale behind men mating with fat women hurting the patriarchy?

A: Imagine our society in terms of the Matrix. Fat acceptance types see themselves out of the system and believe that people within the system in power are somehow controlling the media/society. If they lose "gud cishet men" to fat women who might change their minds about feminism, etc then it somehow hurts the precious patriarchy. So men are taught from a young age that fat=bad. Yes, they essentially see themselves and the fucking trees of knowledge in the garden of Eden.

Q: quite often we see here FA type people saying that if you aren't attracted to overweight/obese you're a "fill in the blank with some ism". did you ascirbe to that? what are opinions on that?

A: Yes, that is a common point of FA people. I obviously think that is ridiculous, even when I was a SJ blogger, actually. I find it hilariously hypocritical for several reasons. Number one, the most popular SJ bloggers might be overweight, but most are female, well-dressed, wear makeup, have good lighting in their photos and have a waistline smaller than their bust or ass. Number two, the most reblogged and talked about photos in the community are women who could pass for "attractive" among mainstream society regardless of the fact that they are overweight. Number three, many SJ bloggers have no problem reblogging pictures of Tom Hiddleson or Benedict Cumberbatch and drooling over them while screaming at men for reblogging their pictures and making comments on them.

Q: Did you believe that obesity was healthy, or was this some sort of thing you wanted to believe to feel better about your weight?

A: Absolutely the latter. You cannot be fat and wake up every morning feeling tired, sad, bloating and sore and pretend that you are healthy. It cannot be done. So instead you tell yourself, "Well, fat CAN be healthy. I'm just the exception to the rule. It must be something else that's wrong with me: thyroid, metabolism issues, cancer, you know, the usual..." It's a fine bit of denial.

Q: What do you think of the apparent hypocrisy of SJWs?

"Don't call me fat, you anorexic!"

"People should be attracted to me in spite of me being overweight (or even because). I'd never be attracted to a fat guy! Fat guys are gross!"

A: They get around it by changing the definition of oppression and racism. To them and their community, thin people, white people, men, and cis people cannot be discriminated against so names like "cracker", "dick", etc are not considered oppressive or hypocritical.

Similarly, they justify their irrational screaming with the explanation that their anger is justified and a long time coming. Many even point to historical injustices against women, people of color, LGTB people, etc as an excuse for their actions. Unfortunately, the flame is just fanned by their 15 year old fanclubs.

Q: Is there some kind of logic at all to how much they hate women who are smaller than them? I don't understand how you can claim to be a feminist and openly hate so many women for merely existing. I will never for the life of me understand body policing.

A: I think that is a pretty controversial topic within the community itself. Many SJ bloggers at least try to push the idea that all bodies are beautiful and that thin women are part of our struggle, too. However, there is also this sense that in the Oppression Olympics they would push every thin, white woman into the creek before admitting that they are body police themselves. It's evidenced very well every time a thin woman says she feels fat or when thin women complain that something only comes in plus sizes.

Q: I see a lot of "us vs them" stuff on SJW blogs, many of them seem to view their cause or clique as aggressively opposed to everyone else. If this is the case what is their endgame scenario?

A: I don't think they even know. Some SJers are believers in minority, women, trans, homosexual, etc supremacy, but most I think want the entire concept of society to just not exist to they can continue to slowly kill themselves :/

Q: Was there a specific point in your life where your viewpoints started to change? Or was it more of a gradual thing/multiple things at once?

A: It started very productive and innocent. I was in college after growing up in a very rural area with no internet connection. I actually wanted to learn to dress for my body type. That lead to finding some plus size fashion blogs which lead me to Tumblr.

I started to see posts about how we shouldn't dress to be flattering, we should dress to please ourselves, etc. From there it's kind of a straight, but gradual line to SJ bloggers: from empowering, but light chats about plus size fashion to full on "intuitive eating and glorifying obesity and let's kill all the men and all that". I do honestly believe it is a slippery slope.

I saw this video of two people who are very prominent in the SJ world on Tumblr (fat positive, queer positive, feminist, etc) when one of them picks up the donut and says, "Intuitive eating is....you want it....so you eat it...." I stopped dead, paused the video and said to myself, "What the fuck am I doing listening to these people. This is literally one of the most convoluted interpretation of a mostly logical concept I've ever seen." I am actually a fan of the idea of intuitive eating, if your body is in a place where it is able to recognized hunger signals and you can differentiate between hunger and binge eating/craving signals. Yes, food and women have a long history of being at odds, but this is...wrong...What if they were popping pills or smoking or drinking. This isn't intuitive eating, this is glorifying addiction and disorder.

I became very unhappy with everything: I couldn't watch a movie without my "feminist hat" on: ugh, not enough women of color, ugh the male lead is such a typical cishet dudebro, etc. It started to spill over into my life and I started becoming very bitter and judgmental of all of my friends and family and my (wonderful and patient) boyfriend. I honestly realized that SJ feminism was making me unhappy with the world. It's complicated because I don't believe we should just throw our hands up and say, "Oh, well, ignorance is bliss." But 99% of my complaints were things that were honestly not that big of a deal.

I started becoming very "harpy-eque", uglifying myself to "fight the patriarchy" I cut off all my hair and dyed it pink, started dressing more masculine, etc. In reality it was the perfect cover for my depression (which was always lingering). I started to not brush my hair or teeth, stopped going out and when I did I would always be critical of men on the street: are they looking at me? What is he staring at me? Should I tell him off? I am not a piece of meat! I should say something. That guy just glanced at my ass! What a pig. I still struggle with this concept of wanting to uglify myself so men don't look at me. It's really complicated, especially since I am losing weight, feeling good, and love wearing pretty girly clothing and makeup.

Q: Do you think people come to these beliefs because they never got an adequate education in science, or how to think (which I think is the root of many of the world's problems)? Or do you think they get into it for social reasons that bypass rational thought altogether?

A: I can only speak from my experience. I was a stellar student in high school and majored in sociology at one of the best private colleges in the Midwest.

I believe that a need to belong paired with an "out" for all of the complicated feelings and ideologies that go along with being depressed, fat and lonely drove me to social justice blogging. It's a spiral: you start following one or two of them, start unfollowing people who try to talk rationally because they make you feel bad about yourself, eventually you are only following SJ people, you are depressed so you spend 8-10 hours a days voluntarily indoctrinating yourself with this stuff and within a year you are just parroting it all, like the god's honest truth.

I'm sure that some people have never been educated on nutrition, sociology, etc and why all of the SJ stuff if just bullshit, but that wasn't the case for me at least. I guess that makes me a special kind of stupid, eh? XD

Q: Do you think were you shamed out of it?

A: I think the fear of dying young and without accomplishing even the silly little things I wanted to in life was a huge wake up call for me. SJ was a symptom of some bigger problems that I would forever be in denial about if I didn't ditch the blog.

Q: What do you think that would be and how would you say it relates to demanding the respect you deserve (without demanding EVERYONE find you attractive or the usual TiTP stuff)?

A: Getting rid of the self-entitlement and realizing that our world isn't perfect. I am not so special that people should make unreasonable allowances for me. If I get to eat all the food I want and watch Netflix for 18 hours a day than I can pay double for my airline ticket. I understand.

Q: How would you explain FAers that actively worked to attain more mainstream attractiveness such as applying make up well, showing more cleavage, dressing in stylish clothes but refused to make an effort to lose weight? Or does such an FAer not exist?

A: They do exist and actually the majority of them are like this or they strive to fit into some kind of cliche by altering their appearance. They typically explain that they are doing it for themselves while weight loss is always the product of internalized misogyny. They honestly believe that the world should bend to fit around them: companies should make larger clothes, seats should be bigger everywhere, no one should ever stare at them because they are big, etc. To them, losing weight would mean giving up the fight.

Johnnyvee

Pelican
Reaper said:
This poster hangs in a Russian restaurant, in Moscow, right across the Kremlin.

It says, "Attention ladies, watch your food intake regimen!"

#fatshaming
Obviously a throwback to Communist days/nostalgia, but still...I`m sure Feminists would tear it down if it was in the US. You probably had the same incentives for men that where not soldiers during WWII.

bucky

Pelican
How did so many people become morbidly obese in the past 20 years or so? What is different now than then?
More processed sugary foos out there maybe, with a side of internet/social media/immersive video game addiction. Maybe also feminism and fat acceptance on the female side, and giving up because you're not in the top 10% that gets all the girls for males.

I came across an interesting AMA on Reddit by a former fat activist. It's from 5 years ago. Below are the questions that interested me the most.

Reading through this, I can not help but see a perfect representation of the 7 deadly sins of Christian teachings in the fat acceptance movement:

- Lust, as they sexualise their obesity as erotically desirable
- Gluttony, as they overindulge and overconsume
- Greed, as they seek to monetise their obesity for materialistic gains
- Sloth, as they let their bodies and minds decay in inactivity
- Wrath, as they fill their hearts with anger and resentment at those who are repelled by their display of obesity they seek to advertise
- Envy, at those women who take care of their bodies and are objectively beautiful
- Pride, as they equate their obesity with false achievement

The modern world is full of displays of the 7 deadly sins, but it does not happen too often that all 7 are at display so perfectly.

How did so many people become morbidly obese in the past 20 years or so? What is different now than then?
Its tempting to say this is due to unhealthy food, lack of exercise etc, but I think there is a main cause which all other factors are linked to: A weak mind.
Our bodies are in a way an expression of our souls. Our lifestyle and our resulting body is ideally a product of our own sentiment, psychological makeup, attitude and convictions.
In the worst case our bodies are the reflection of outside influences like media and contemporary mainstream ideas. Fat, unhygienic people who let themselves go like pigs on a farm are being controlled by the contamination of mainstream culture more than by their own spirit.

Its no surprise to me that most fat acceptance bloggers and 'models' (exhibits, to be accurate) are female, as women are hard wired to adapt to the mainstream culture around them. What they perceive as the mainstream culture is hedonism in its most extreme form: Sex, consumerism, narcissism.

bucky

Pelican
Reading through this, I can not help but see a perfect representation of the 7 deadly sins of Christian teachings in the fat acceptance movement:

- Wrath, as they fill their hearts with anger and resentment at those who are repelled by their display of obesity they seek to advertise
- Envy, at those women who take care of their bodies and are objectively beautiful

The modern world is full of displays of the 7 deadly sins, but it does not happen too often that all 7 are at display so perfectly.

Its tempting to say this is due to unhealthy food, lack of exercise etc, but I think there is a main cause which all other factors are linked to: A weak mind.
Our bodies are in a way an expression of our souls. Our lifestyle and our resulting body is ideally a product of our own sentiment, psychological makeup, attitude and convictions.
In the worst case our bodies are the reflection of outside influences like media and contemporary mainstream ideas. Fat, unhygienic people who let themselves go like pigs on a farm are being controlled by the contamination of mainstream culture more than by their own spirit.

Its no surprise to me that most fat acceptance bloggers and 'models' (exhibits, to be accurate) are female, as women are hard wired to adapt to the mainstream culture around them. What they perceive as the mainstream culture is hedonism in its most extreme form: Sex, consumerism, narcissism.
Fat acceptance is also attractive (heh) to many women because i

Physical beauty is one of the most valued and judged things about a woman, so it's not surprising that many of them would support fat acceptance. It's an attempt to insist that that which is not beautiful in fact is, thereby skipping the hard work and discipline necessary to maintain a healthy weight.

Batman_

Kingfisher
It's all sugar. It's literally a drug. We can't get enough of it, it's not satiating at all, and it's in everything. I walk down the cereal isle and I can usually only find 1 or 2 cereals that don't have any added sugar.

It's incredibly easy to understimate the number of calories you consume if any of your diet has sugar in it, especially if its in beverage form (big ones being juices and smoothies which have more sugar than soda usually).

Setting that aside, even if you count calories, the bottom line is that sugar is highly addicting and lights up the same region of the brain as hardcore drugs like cocaine. You will literally never find a fat or overweight person who isn't addicted to sugar in some form. Often their lives as so shitty that that eating garbage becomes their only source of "comfort" from their misery.

Last edited:

bucky

Pelican
It's all sugar. It's literally a drug. We can't get enough of it, it's not satiating at all, and it's in everything. I walk down the cereal isle and I can usually only find 1 or 2 cereals that don't have any added sugar.

It's incredibly easy to understimate the number of calories you consume if any of your diet has sugar in it, especially if its in beverage form (big ones being juices and smoothies which have more sugar than soda usually).

Setting that aside, even if you count calories, the bottom line is that sugar is highly addicting and lights up the same region of the brain as hardcore drugs like cocaine. You will literally never find a fat or overweight person who isn't addicted to sugar in some form. Often their lives as so shitty that that eating garbage becomes their only source of "comfort" from their misery.
"Sugar is the devil" is the only advice in fitness and nutrition that every supposed expert seems to agree on.

la bodhisattva

Kingfisher
Fat-shaming used to be a tactic of the left against the "fast-food eating, camo-wearing, truck-driving, Southern, rednecks."

That was at the height of the Whole Foods mystique, back when access to organic, locally-sourced foods was a sign that you lived in a wealthy, liberal suburban enclave.

Then Instagram hit and shallow do-nothings sought validation and affirmation by posting pictures of decadent food. Blogging got big and entitled, white-guilt ridden children of the Whole Foods customers began spending their days online cultivating artificial lives through social media and seeking purpose by fighting against perceived evils, like men. Before they knew it, all those orders of tiramisu for the Insta likes and the sedentary life of waging war against the patriarchy resulted in them becoming fat.

What was once a sign of a lower-class, socially conservative, rural background became a caricatured mascot of the screeching, self-righteous, urban elitists. And that's when calling someone fat became mean.

Gimlet

Woodpecker
Sugar - it triggers us for good reason, for in our hunter gatherer days it was a sign of dense calories easily converted into energy. Sugar is meant to be stored as fat. Gorging on sugar made sense as days or weeks later you may be fighting or running from a predator. But now we do't burn it off

Seed oils - Butter, coconut oil, animal fats are natural. Seed oil is new, a seed is bombarded with hexane to extract the oil, then is bleached. It screws up your omega 6 to omega 3 ratio, causes inflammation. Invented early 20th century, exploded as more women left the home for work. By 90s, ubiquitous. Evidence that the other fats I said are better? Go to youtube and watch old Soul Train videos, everyone is thin and everyone's mama had a coffee can of bacon grease sitting on the stove in the 70s.

Dwarf wheat - a new strain that created short fat wheat much higher in gluten and calories, bad for humans but great for the bottom line. Invented in 60s if I recall correctly, and slowly took over until by the 90s old recipes had to be revised to make up for the increased gluten content.

Add to that Gen X women (in the 90s) were brainwashed into thinking that cooking at home was slavery, so they were eating at restaurants with the above crap. Then they took over and brainwashed the next generation, and so on.

Fat-shaming used to be a tactic of the left against the "fast-food eating, camo-wearing, truck-driving, Southern, rednecks."

That was at the height of the Whole Foods mystique, back when access to organic, locally-sourced foods was a sign that you lived in a wealthy, liberal suburban enclave.

Then Instagram hit and shallow do-nothings sought validation and affirmation by posting pictures of decadent food. Blogging got big and entitled, white-guilt ridden children of the Whole Foods customers began spending their days online cultivating artificial lives through social media and seeking purpose by fighting against perceived evils, like men. Before they knew it, all those orders of tiramisu for the Insta likes and the sedentary life of waging war against the patriarchy resulted in them becoming fat.

What was once a sign of a lower-class, socially conservative, rural background became a caricatured mascot of the screeching, self-righteous, urban elitists. And that's when calling someone fat became mean.
This. "Fat shaming" became a buzzword when female celebrities started getting fat left and right.

Stirfry

Woodpecker

Agreed. It’s a psychological addiction but also physical, as you need more and more to even taste it. I gave up sugar and processed foods a few years ago and now I can really taste the natural sweetness of root vegetables, fruits, etc. It makes a big difference to the palate once everything you eat is no longer stuffed with sugar and sweeteners. There are numerous health benefits (I lost about 28 pounds pretty quickly once I cut out sugars, breads and pastas) but if that’s not enough incentive I always tell people that after a few weeks they will start enjoying their food much more.

I wonder if this is a US thing or that people have a bunch of HFCS in things.

Anecdote: For 5+ years I had been 0 sugar and low-moderate carb, paleo diet. Had low energy among other issues. Then a few years ago a semi-trusted ex-friend told me to try adding ice cream and orange juice to my diet and a bunch of potatoes, ideally sweet potatoes. It's a Ray Peat idea and you're meant to boost your metabolism and raise your body temperature with sugar/potatoes. Apparently she was really sick/lethargic and that helped her. I have been having ice cream and OJ relatively regularly since and I'm either healthier or the same as before while still being very cut(low bf%).

It does raise the question of how processed food addiction or the obesity epidemic comes about as it does not seem sugar is making me fat nor is it making me desensitised to sweetness.

Last edited:

brando

Sparrow
Empowering fat women while fat men are completely and utterly invisible.

It would shine quite a light to this silliness if fat men mirrored the fat acceptance movement using the same platitudes and virtue signals of the female fat acceptance movement. Unfortunately they're so medicated and sedated by tech and entertainment that there's nothing to be done with this lost generation.

Reactions: kel

dicknixon72

Kingfisher
Empowering fat women while fat men are completely and utterly invisible.

It would shine quite a light to this silliness if fat men mirrored the fat acceptance movement using the same platitudes and virtue signals of the female fat acceptance movement. Unfortunately they're so medicated and sedated by tech and entertainment that there's nothing to be done with this lost generation.