Fat people thread

monsquid

Kingfisher
Olive oil and coconut oil aren't that bad for you compared to almost all other vegetable oils, such as soybean, corn, canola, etc. Olive/coconut oil are at least very minimally processed compared to most others.

Last I checked, trans fats and oleic acids were the worst types of fats by far, though I'm largely unfamiliar with the latter.

And on the 2nd point, saturated fat is literally a macronutrient along with cholesterol, and yet people have the exact opposite perspective.
Canola oil is to be avoided at all costs. It's pure lab made synthetic crap. Also... from Canada.

Towgunner

Kingfisher
I remember years ago there was laughter on Reddit about some conservative group complaining that the movie Wall-E was nihlistic or anti-human in depicting humanity as heading towards technology-enabled sloth and gluttony. The jokes were generally of the variety of "Republicans see fat people in a cartoon and immediately get offended that people must be mocking Republicans". I think about that from time to time, and how now the tables would likely be turned, with liberals mad that fatness is being presented as a negative thing at all, that weight and strength correlates with diet or physical activity, that the human existence presented in the movie is something to avoid rather than embrace as the "gay luxury space communism" the progressive left believes is coming.

After all, where did all this "fat acceptance" originate from? This didn't come from the right side of the spectrum. Indeed, it came from the bowels of academia, surprise, which tend to be among the more liberal or blue states.

fat acceptance is nothing more than making excuses for yourself. I think its a predictable, if you excuse a certain thing, i.e. feeling shame about one's weight, then you effectively incent the behavior. The shame or "stigma" (you hear a lot about that word) was the mechanism heretofore that kept people in check. The left loves to take these mechanisms away and people react accordingly. Many people, women especially, are buying into this, because, working out, watching what you eat is not easy. Its hard. And one of the biggest selling points from the left is telling people it's okay to avoid hard things.

Here in liberal Massachusetts, I see this effect manifesting. I'll state it once more, there are plenty of fat people here and it seems like this group is getting larger (both in numbers and in general).

Side observation, a trend I've noticed, especially among the young, is for the fat person to also be very open about other leftist causes, such as, homosexuality. In fact, its more common to now see an obese female with purple hair sporting a rainbow or something like that. homosexuality and obesity are first cousins, because, both of these "conditions" are based on irresponsible and reckless behaviors that are bad for one's health.

Looking a little out to the horizon, I believe there could be some interesting developments. Already, Red states are decidedly run a whole lot better than blue states. The bar is, admittedly, low, but, this is the case. Conservative messaging is increasingly geared towards self-improvement and health. Look at the Manosphere, we're all about working out etc, and we're a large voice amoung the conservatives. Alex Jones is heavy, but, he spends a lot of time on health etc. Contrast that to the liberal/leftist messaging at present, which is much more focused on feelings and avoiding discomfort etc. Plus, they're anti-merit and radically egalitarian. Its the left that put a 350 lbs blimp in Time Square for Calvin Klein and, kind reminder, times square is in New York City and New York City is very blue.

On that basis, you should see a lot more fatness in liberal vs. conservative. We shall see.

get2choppaaa

Pelican
Food pyramid was a corporate creation that mimicks the same ratio of grain to other nutrients fed to herd animals, namely cows. Things like sunflower oil or almond milk or canola oil are all things that are literally formulated in a lab or inorganic way for profit. Don't even begin with talking about Soy...

There are food scientists that developed food to literally dissovle in your mouth. Don't believe me? Take a McDonald's burger and press a bite of it against the roof of your mouth and it will dissolve with out you chewing it in a couple mins. The do this for money.

I've never seen someone get fat from eating 3 lbs of eggs/chicken/beef/pork tenderloin and literally as many fruit and veggies you want. You can even add white rice. It's really hard to get 3000 kcals from the above, even when adding 2 or 3 cups of rice throughout the day.

Most really fat people have zero desire or understanding of basic hormonal response to food.

Also few don't get that by eating lots of sugar you wind up turning your gut biome into craving that as a means to keep the sugar surviving bacteria alive in your digestive tract...

I was a fat kid growing up, it is a miserable existence to look in the mirror and hate the way your feel about your own reflection...you have to get discipline and do work.... But society's not rewarding that anymore.

monsquid

Kingfisher
Food pyramid was a corporate creation that mimicks the same ratio of grain to other nutrients fed to herd animals, namely cows. Things like sunflower oil or almond milk or canola oil are all things that are literally formulated in a lab or inorganic way for profit. Don't even begin with talking about Soy...

There are food scientists that developed food to literally dissovle in your mouth. Don't believe me? Take a McDonald's burger and press a bite of it against the roof of your mouth and it will dissolve with out you chewing it in a couple mins. The do this for money.

I've never seen someone get fat from eating 3 lbs of eggs/chicken/beef/pork tenderloin and literally as many fruit and veggies you want. You can even add white rice. It's really hard to get 3000 kcals from the above, even when adding 2 or 3 cups of rice throughout the day.

Most really fat people have zero desire or understanding of basic hormonal response to food.

Also few don't get that by eating lots of sugar you wind up turning your gut biome into craving that as a means to keep the sugar surviving bacteria alive in your digestive tract...

I was a fat kid growing up, it is a miserable existence to look in the mirror and hate the way your feel about your own reflection...you have to get discipline and do work.... But society's not rewarding that anymore.
I eat too much white rice (have been doing it for years) and it hasn't affected my weight gain. The few times where I gained 20-30lbs was when I was fresh out of college and eating fast food twice a day because of long work hours.

get2choppaaa

Pelican
I eat too much white rice (have been doing it for years) and it hasn't affected my weight gain. The few times where I gained 20-30lbs was when I was fresh out of college and eating fast food twice a day because of long work hours.
Exactly.
1000 kcal of white rice is 4 whole cups.
Most people can't eat 2 cups of rice in a meal let alone 4.

1 genetically engineered big mac meal is is 1080

Bitter End

Woodpecker
Orthodox
A lot of good advice in this thread. I am probably repeating someone's words. High protein diets are very fulfilling even if you don't even set foot in the gym. Eat the veggies, still, just double down on the meat. I do love chips and pizza sometimes, but portioning them over multiple days can fit even a very strict diet.

Sugar for me is even worse than trans fat. There is hardly a limit to how much sugar one can consume and it has all the characteristics of a drug. Add up the tooth decay and you see what is happening with the people in the wealthy countries. I try to stay within 15-20 grams a day. It is in everything nowadays, even most salad dressings.

get2choppaaa

Pelican
A lot of good advice in this thread. I am probably repeating someone's words. High protein diets are very fulfilling even if you don't even set foot in the gym. Eat the veggies, still, just double down on the meat. I do love chips and pizza sometimes, but portioning them over multiple days can fit even a very strict diet.

Sugar for me is even worse than trans fat. There is hardly a limit to how much sugar one can consume and it has all the characteristics of a drug. Add up the tooth decay and you see what is happening with the people in the wealthy countries. I try to stay within 15-20 grams a day. It is in everything nowadays, even most salad dressings.
Think about this:

1 sugar cube is 4 Grams of sugar and has 16 Calories.
1 X 12OZ coke is 39 Grams of sugar. Thats 9 and 3/4 sugar cubes in one coke. 140 calories.

Meanwhile a snickers bar only has 20 Grams of sugar. 4 G protien almost no fiber and 245 kcal.
Meanwhile a Quest Peanut butter Protien bar has 21 Grams of protien, Erythritol for sweatner (good for gut biome and teeth) and 1 G of sugar and a boatload of fiber @ 200 KCAL

monsquid

Kingfisher
Think about this:

1 sugar cube is 4 Grams of sugar and has 16 Calories.
1 X 12OZ coke is 39 Grams of sugar. Thats 9 and 3/4 sugar cubes in one coke. 140 calories.

Meanwhile a snickers bar only has 20 Grams of sugar. 4 G protien almost no fiber and 245 kcal.
Meanwhile a Quest Peanut butter Protien bar has 21 Grams of protien, Erythritol for sweatner (good for gut biome and teeth) and 1 G of sugar and a boatload of fiber @ 200 KCAL
Insane when you put it that way.

20oz standard Coke has 65g of sugar, which equates to 16.25 sugar cubes or 4.3 tablespoons.

Hannibal

Ostrich
Gold Member
Olive oil and coconut oil aren't that bad for you compared to almost all other vegetable oils, such as soybean, corn, canola, etc. Olive/coconut oil are at least very minimally processed compared to most others.

Last I checked, trans fats and oleic acids were the worst types of fats by far, though I'm largely unfamiliar with the latter.

And on the 2nd point, saturated fat is literally a macronutrient along with cholesterol, and yet people have the exact opposite perspective.

There arent enough olive trees in the world to match the consumption of olive oil.

The vast majority of it out there is watered down with an inferior oil like canola.

If youre going to use a fat for cooking, I recommend instead to render your own tallow or clarify your own butter. Lard works too.

Butter is by far the easiest to get for most out of the bunch, and it doesnt take long to clarify. Ten minutes on the stove with lowish heat, skim the stuff off the top and decant it into a container to avoid the milk solids at the bottom. Great for cooking at higher temps. The finished product should be a smooth golden yellow if you use store bought butter.

For rendering beef tallow, go to the butcher and buy suet, regular trimmings work too if you buy your meat in bulk like whole brisket and trim the fat, although the quality is lower. Easy to do, just keep a bag in the freezer to save trimmings.

Chuck it in a crockpot on low with no water for three to six hours and filter it through a metal strainer lined with a cheesecloth. No you dont need to add water to the fat or even grind it up into little pieces, its not going to burn at 200ish F and it melts just fine on its own without any extra help.

The added benefit of rendering/clarifying your own cooking fat is that it stays shelf stable for ages. I literally leave a jar of clarified butter on the counter for months at a time.

Almost forgot to add.

Butter has a smoke point of 350.

Clarified butter has a smoke point of 450.

So if you like cooking things at higher temps with butter, like you want to quickly fry several eggs at high heat, go for clarified.

kel

Ostrich
I used to clarify butter and use it for all my frying. To be honest now I usually have more than enough saved bacon grease, duck fat, etc that I filtered after making bacon/duck breast to last me a lifetime. The clarified butter is a very good neutral oil, though, for making things like pancakes.

get2choppaaa

Pelican
There arent enough olive trees in the world to match the consumption of olive oil.

The vast majority of it out there is watered down with an inferior oil like canola.

If youre going to use a fat for cooking, I recommend instead to render your own tallow or clarify your own butter. Lard works too.

Butter is by far the easiest to get for most out of the bunch, and it doesnt take long to clarify. Ten minutes on the stove with lowish heat, skim the stuff off the top and decant it into a container to avoid the milk solids at the bottom. Great for cooking at higher temps. The finished product should be a smooth golden yellow if you use store bought butter.

For rendering beef tallow, go to the butcher and buy suet, regular trimmings work too if you buy your meat in bulk like whole brisket and trim the fat, although the quality is lower. Easy to do, just keep a bag in the freezer to save trimmings.

Chuck it in a crockpot on low with no water for three to six hours and filter it through a metal strainer lined with a cheesecloth. No you dont need to add water to the fat or even grind it up into little pieces, its not going to burn at 200ish F and it melts just fine on its own without any extra help.

The added benefit of rendering/clarifying your own cooking fat is that it stays shelf stable for ages. I literally leave a jar of clarified butter on the counter for months at a time.

Almost forgot to add.

So if you like cooking things at higher temps with butter, like you want to quickly fry several eggs at high heat, go for clarified.
Grew up in a restaurant and my father used clarified butter (ghee) for everything.

If it's going in a pan, it's getting ghee.

Batman_

Kingfisher

Almost forgot to add.

Oh, I'm not suggesting anyone use olive oil. It's honestly pretty garbage to cook with except for sauteeing. I LOVE ghee, I literally use it for everything I cook.

Hannibal

Ostrich
Gold Member
Eat 1 gram of protein per pound of lean body mass. 1 gram protein is 4 calories so adjust for that.

Plug your numbers into the katch mckardle formula
(9.8181 x lean body mass in pounds) +370
Thats your total daily calories. Takes ten minutes to figure out.

Repeat until lean.

Since writing this post, I am down ten pounds. The only thing I do different on the previous post is more gymwork. Down to 218 now and the only struggle is that I have to count. I usually do something like

1 cup black coffee
2 protein shakes with 3 scoops whey (720 calories total) one in morning one at night
1 cup oatmeal with a tbsp butter (400 calories)
A pound of leanish meat, chicken, beef whatever 800 calories
One or two string cheeses (140 calories)
I dont count most vegetables as they are low calorie

Or if you want the spark notes version
6 scoops of protein at 150 g protein total
1300 calories of whatever I want

One day I had my protein and ate half a papa murphys pizza.

You can do actual meat instead of whey shakes but the shakes are just for convenience.

To any fatties reading this, if I can do it, so can you. Cardio, fasting, whatever diets are not a requirement.

joost

Kingfisher

DanielH

Pelican
Orthodox
Oh, that's nothing. Besides all the other crazy names in the NFL, the Packers have a guy named Equanimeous St. Brown.
And no, I don't follow sportsball at all. His name popped up on the news recently, to do with a trade
Someone I know had a customer named Affreka, she called her "A-freak-uh" only to find out it is pronounced "Africa."