Clergy & Monastics Father Andrew Damick

Lawrence87

Woodpecker
Orthodox
As you say, she is clearly saying here (albeit by quoting someone else) that we should just trust women that if they choose to do murder it's okay because that is their choice, and forbidding it is worse than not trusting them somehow. Substitute ex-utero murder and it is an absurd position. It's a clear defence of the indefensible.
Yeah it's not like saying "I believe getting drunk is a sin, but I respect individuals rights to use their free will to commit sin if that is what they want, so I do not support banning alcohol" You cannot apply that logic to murder because the free will of the murderer to murder restricts the free will of the victim to get to live. The position that "well God gives us the freedom to reject him, so I'm going to support women's freedom to murder their babies" is untenable, contradictory, riddled with pride, and downright evil.

For an Orthodox Christian to say that they are satisfied with this position is shameful.

VelvetAnt

Chicken
Orthodox
Does Fr. Andrew actually believe that it's acceptable for an Orthodox Christian to support legal abortion as long as they don't commit it themselves? If so, that's extremely concerning, but I'd like to hear it from him directly or at least see a screenshot of an email before passing judgment. In a 2012 blog post he took the opposite position: https://blogs.ancientfaith.com/orthodoxyandheterodoxy/2012/07/31/the-biblical-argument-for-abortion/.

Maybe Angela changed her mind and that's why he's "satisfied," I can only hope.

MichaelWitcoff

Hummingbird
Orthodox
Does Fr. Andrew actually believe that it's acceptable for an Orthodox Christian to support legal abortion as long as they don't commit it themselves? If so, that's extremely concerning, but I'd like to hear it from him directly or at least see a screenshot of an email before passing judgment. In a 2012 blog post he took the opposite position: https://blogs.ancientfaith.com/orthodoxyandheterodoxy/2012/07/31/the-biblical-argument-for-abortion/.

Maybe Angela changed her mind and that's why he's "satisfied," I can only hope.
I’m hesitant to post screenshots of a private email conversation, but I am giving you my word that he told me it’s not necessary to hold all the “correct legal opinions” to be Orthodox and that while he disagrees with her that it should be legal, she believes it’s a sin so he sees no problem with selling her books. The only condition upon which I can see myself posting a private discussion in public is if he himself starts to lie about what he said or didn’t say, in which case I will certainly post screenshots.

jeffinjapan

Sparrow
Orthodox
It seems Father Andrew represents a watered-down, wishy-washy, ecumenist type of Orthodoxy that is anathema to what the Saints and elders from past and present have always taught. And it's a shame too, Father Andrew is a very intelligent man who could do a tremendous amount of good with the platform that he has.

MichaelWitcoff

Hummingbird
Orthodox
It seems Father Andrew represents a watered-down, wishy-washy, ecumenist type of Orthodoxy that is anathema to what the Saints and elders from past and present have always taught. And it's a shame too, Father Andrew is a very intelligent man who could do a tremendous amount of good with the platform that he has.
Well, it seems Ancient Faith’s time has come and gone. With your prayers, Patristic Faith will become what Ancient Faith should have and could have been.

MichaelWitcoff

Hummingbird
Orthodox
For traditional Orthodox you’re probably correct, but Ancient Faith has first mover advantage in the online Anglo Orthodox world.
Jay Dyer alone surpassed them on Google Trends (ie, people searching for the terms Jay Dyer and Ancient Faith) years ago, and their YouTube channel gets little to no engagement. They’re heavy hitters in the podcast world but they put all their eggs in that basket and people are, as a general trend it seems, more interested in the deep and serious stuff. By God’s grace we have a lot of people involved in this project including several clergy and I hope and pray God will use this platform to reach, convert, and edify people all over the world.

You can literally just go ask Fr. Heers who his bishop is, it's not a secret. He answers YouTube comments and emails, and I've seen him answer the question about his Bishop publicly on YouTube before. He even took the time(despite getting who knows how many emails per day) to find a parish near me that receives everyone via baptism after I emailed him asking about reception via chrismation vs baptism, which is above and beyond what I had asked.

EDIT: Found it.
View attachment 33276
Jeremy is a great guy actually, though I have drifted far away from where he is in the land of ecumenism. I was a part of a Western Rite/Catholic respector private Orthodox chat with several lads for a few years and he was also a member. He’s absolutely hilarious and was a great help to me when I was REALLY struggling with baggage from my Roman Catholic days that took almost 8 years of being Orthodox to work its way to the surface. To my shame we would rag on Fr Peter a bit, and the whole “who is his Bishop” thing was something that came up several years back and gained traction when Fr Peter became publicly outspoken about coronavirus. I walked away from the entire ecumenical/pro Catholic ethos a while ago but some of the other guys came to different conclusions than I did regarding ecclesiology and Rome. In fact, two of them left the Orthodox Church for the Catholic Church and some others reaffirmed their faith in Orthodoxy. That’s a bit off topic but I was surprised to see he posted that under his real name, as he’s a grad student at Notre Dame and I thought he was trying to behave online for obvious reasons.

Fr Peter is probably the most pastorally generous priest who operates an online public ministry. On multiple occasions he has corresponded with me regarding some personal issues and he has given individual attention to my issue that probably required more time than he had to write the response I received. He gets an avalanche of BS from all sides, especially from terminally self-indulgent hipster e-clergy like Fr Damick and he continues to plow ahead, even though he’s not well received by the aforementioned professional Orthodox. I’ve no personal beef with Fr Andrew, but as someone who knows a bit about how he’s commandeered the trajectory of AFM, I’ll just say that he has zero business casting any public criticism about anyone, let alone a brother priest.

MichaelWitcoff

Hummingbird
Orthodox
Jeremy is a great guy actually, though I have drifted far away from where he is in the land of ecumenism. I was a part of a Western Rite/Catholic respector private Orthodox chat with several lads for a few years and he was also a member. He’s absolutely hilarious and was a great help to me when I was REALLY struggling with baggage from my Roman Catholic days that took almost 8 years of being Orthodox to work its way to the surface. To my shame we would rag on Fr Peter a bit, and the whole “who is his Bishop” thing was something that came up several years back and gained traction when Fr Peter became publicly outspoken about coronavirus. I walked away from the entire ecumenical/pro Catholic ethos a while ago but some of the other guys came to different conclusions than I did regarding ecclesiology and Rome. In fact, two of them left the Orthodox Church for the Catholic Church and some others reaffirmed their faith in Orthodoxy. That’s a bit off topic but I was surprised to see he posted that under his real name, as he’s a grad student at Notre Dame and I thought he was trying to behave online for obvious reasons.

Fr Peter is probably the most pastorally generous priest who operates an online public ministry. On multiple occasions he has corresponded with me regarding some personal issues and he has given individual attention to my issue that probably required more time than he had to write the response I received. He gets an avalanche of BS from all sides, especially from terminally self-indulgent hipster e-clergy like Fr Damick and he continues to plow ahead, even though he’s not well received by the aforementioned professional Orthodox. I’ve no personal beef with Fr Andrew, but as someone who knows a bit about how he’s commandeered the trajectory of AFM, I’ll just say that he has zero business casting any public criticism about anyone, let alone a brother priest.
The worst part is that Ancient Faith has some really great content, but the entire ministry is being tarnished now by Father Andrew’s consistently off-putting choices.

Paisios Harlan

Chicken
Orthodox
Agreed. When the Gospel Simplicity guy asked him on his recommendation on where to find a church, Fr. Andrew's advice was to go to the church that is closest to your house. Think about that. During the same interview he was even hesitant to say that we need to go to an Orthodox church. Man, simply going to the church that is closest to your house is the worst advice I have ever heard, especially right now with so much heresy and Covidism afoot.

Pantheon

Robin
Orthodox
That new book: Arise O God looks pretty good. More ammo to get us out of the western mindset.

I listened to a podcast about this book and the way he depicts Christ as an emperor who defeats his enemy and is now marching into the city to declare himself as the new perpetual king has been some of the most useful metaphors I've heard for portaying Christ and the good news of the Gospel. It's not about 'believing' in Jesus in a past tense but following and submitting to Him in the present and future tense. It's about communaly celebrating Christ as the emperor who defeated Death. It's about following Him by participating in the body of the historical church, and thereby having 'skin in the game' and real stake in the Kingdom of Heaven. Not just 'beta orbiting' around a "belief" in a supernatural hypothesis about a historical figure, or signing a life insurance policy as if it was a business proposal between two parties. The King has declared his victory, and you can either submit and become a part of the polity or not. Signing papers doesn't change the fact of the matter at hand.

Last edited:

Eusebius Erasmus

Pelican
Orthodox
From Telegram:

You guys and gals know that I’ve been trying my best to be charitable towards Ancient Faith, never once commenting on them until they banned Abbot Tryphon and never once speaking about Fr. Andrew until I’d spoken with him directly so that I could discern which of the accusations were true and which were false. But their latest video, which is largely about strategies to “overcome vaccine hesitancy” combined with Fr. Stephen Ritter’s podcast gaslighting, name-calling, and pathologizing other Orthodox Christians who aren’t on board with their preferred agendas honestly cross the line for me. It’s gone beyond the point where I can charitably view their platform as simply misinformed; it is now engaged in outright complicity with what I consider one of the most vicious and evil global hoaxes that has ever been propagated in world history. They banned Abbot Tryphon for trying to warn Christians about Marxist persecution - which has killed more Christians than any other system, by far. Then they called (it appears) me and/or my friends online dangerous extremists, of course without ever mentioning our names so that we could defend ourselves or face our accusers openly. Now they simply accuse the “vaccine hesitant” of being “traumatized” and needing to be handled with kid gloves, promoting “strategies” for how to twist Orthodox teaching to convince us to take the deadly “vaccine” that - at least in Taiwan - has officially killed more people than the virus it supposedly protects you from. There is a spirit of evil at work in Ancient Faith and there is no way to deny it anymore. It’s hard to make this post given how much great content they’ve had in the past, but I suppose that’s why they call it “the past.” Lord have mercy on everyone involved, and on all of us.

This is from @MichaelWitcoff

MichaelWitcoff

Hummingbird
Orthodox
His theory, as explained in the video, is that the “vaccine hesitant” are just “traumatized” and subsequently can’t be “persuaded” with “facts and science” but rather need a “trauma-informed approach” that, as also explained by him in the video, amounts to twisting Scripture and Christianity to pressure people into taking the deadly “vaccine.” Fr. John Whiteford correctly described the video as smug and fake news.